Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
BTW, when I went out of town this week I took a cooler along with:
tuna salad
egg salad
baby brie wheels
mac nuts
LC brownies
LC flax muffins
peanuts

I ate out of my cooler the whole time I was gone except for one meal at DS's house, a chicken veggie soup, high carb veggies but a small bowl and a bacon cheeseburger one night when we went out. No bun, lots of mayo on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Buffy-I have been watching your fantastic weight loss and reading the last couple of months--you are one of the reasons I decided to come out of lurkdom and visit here--I am hoping to pick up more pointers along the way and watch and learn--thanks for sharing your successes..

Jeanne
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Jeanne, I love the spelling of your name btw.

I wish I could put my finger on exactly what helped me and made this work so well, I would be shouting it out to each and every one of you. I have stuck to it very consistently except for that cheat on xmas day.

One thing that really helps me with that is the reason I came back to LC to begin with. For the past year, being diabetic, I started getting urinary tract infections all the time. Would get one, call the doctor, take an antibiotic, then have to take something for yeast infection. Repeated this over and over. I KNEW I was eating wrong for my diabetes, but was lulled by the fact that the meds my Dr. had me on kept me in a good blood glucose range as far as the Dr. was concerned, they basically just try to keep your diabetes from progressing too fast, they don't really advise you what to do to stop it in it's tracks. I went to a Urologist and he said there could be several reasons but I brought up the fact that my diet was really bad and that I was eating loads of sugar and carbs. He said it "could be" that sugar was spilling over into my urine. I had done LC in the past and I KNEW in my mind all along that I needed to get back on it and my Dr. did agree with that, but like most doctors today, doesn't push too hard. So, I asked urologist if he thought that would help, he was all for me trying it and I started that day. Have only had 1 bout of infection since that I had to treat. Bingo!!! I really wasn't planning on big weight loss success as when I tried LC in the past I would lose the initial 10 lbs or so but stall. But, I did feel good on it. When I came back to LCF's and started looking at posts, I saw both Kristn's success and her talk of NK and also posts by Reddarin. I sent for some info on NK, scoured the internet and asked for help in figuring out my macros. I logged every bite for almost 3 months which really helped me see if I was on track and eating right. Then I was chugging slowly along so was pleased, felt better and my BS numbers were fantastic. Then Dec. came and the weight started falling off. I have no idea why but I am so happy with the results.

My advice to anyone is to log to figure out your own personal macros.
Do NOT cheat, LC doesn't like cheating, especially if you are relying on ketosis to help you along.
Look at the long haul, don't be impatient to lose quickly, it rarely happens.
Make good health your goal.

BTW, your stats are awesome! Glad you delurked, we can learn from you!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Buffy-I also have diabetes in my family-my brother was diagnosed 3 years ago-and lots of aunts and uncles take insulin--and recently I have had elevated numbers with some occasionally in the diabetes range! I also had my brother pass away in August from early onset Alzheimers--he was diagnosed at age 53-lost his dental practice and died at age 64-so I know that a ketogenic diet is also good for keeping the brain healthy--so I have a couple of GOOD reasons to stay the course... I really want to make this a way of living and not a diet--I actually haven't lost any weight in about 6-7 years--I have gained lately-so I need to work at getting the weight off and keeping it off and doing it the healthy way... I have a lot to learn with this way of eating as I was always an Atkins diet person and keeping track of the macros is something I will keep tweaking--in the last couple of days I am already surprised at somethings! I am not a computer person so please bare with me--I keep learning there also.

Jeanne
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Kristin do you make your own mayo?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #96
Big Yapper!!!!

You know, it is funny knowing that you "should" eat a certain way for your health, be it weight, BP, diabetes, whatever but so so hard to do it and I think, at least for me, the changes it would be doing for my body weren't so noticeable. Yes, I knew lower BS was better for me but I felt fine eating all those carbs, just knowing that didn't make me stick to it. But, when you are getting something over and over and it is very uncomfortable, then it becomes so much easier to stick with it. There are times I kind of forget the exact reason I got back to LC, the frequent infections, and will think, oh, I may take a break and eat all that carby stuff, I can get back on later. Whoa, but then I think, wait, the minute I do that, I will get a urninary tract infection again and that stops me in my tracks.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Buffy on your new low!! You are in the zone girlfriend!!

Lindsay--I hesitate to say anything because I'm sure that you think I'm a broken record. But I will agree with Cathy that you're probably exercising too much and your body is holding onto its fat for dear life!

Shelly--at least your ketones are heading in the right direction. I hope that mine start going back up soon!

Judy--that soup sounds amazing. I can't believe that I missed Buffy posting about it. I tend to gloss over recipes and make the same stuff all the time. I'd better pay closer attention.

Jeanne--It's amazing what you discover when you start really tracking your intake. Like you, as a long-time low-carber I thought I knew exactly what I was eating, but tracking was eye-opening!

Becky--I do make my own mayo, but when I posted a recipe no one liked it. I think that I may have weird taste from being LC for so long. It's really easy to do with an immersion blender. You just have to get the oil and the seasoning right. I know that a couple of people had recipes that they loved and posted.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Lindsay, your ketone levels look great but I still think you are over exercising. It is about putting stress on your body and therefore creating a situation that demands that it hangs onto everything. Could you consider reducing it or stopping all together for a couple of weeks and seeing if that has a positive result?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Lindsay--I hesitate to say anything because I'm sure that you think I'm a broken record. But I will agree with Cathy that you're probably exercising too much and your body is holding onto its fat for dear life!

Thank you both for the advice...Kristn, I know you're tired of telling me the same thing over and over! It's just so hard for me to do. Actually, the idea of reducing or taking a complete break from workouts is not just unappealing but downright scary. I'm terrified of finding out that I'll gain weight when I stop exercising - as if all this work I've been doing for years is responsible for keeping me "merely" overweight as opposed to morbidly obese. ("Imagine how much I'd weigh if I didn't work out!" is a thought I've had many times through the years.)

I realize that way of thinking is probably 100% wrong. I've got to convince myself that taking a break for a couple of weeks does not mean I'm stopping forever, and cutting back to 4 or even 3 days a week is not wimping out. I'm supposed to be doing an experiment to find out what works for me, and all signs point to the fact that changing my workouts is the next logical step. Gonna give it some more thought and see what kind of compromise I can live with.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I'm terrified of finding out that I'll gain weight when I stop exercising - as if all this work I've been doing for years is responsible for keeping me "merely" overweight as opposed to morbidly obese. ("Imagine how much I'd weigh if I didn't work out!" is a thought I've had many times through the years.)

I realize that way of thinking is probably 100% wrong.
I read so much on these boards and contribute so little, so here I come!

I think it's perfectly logical to think you'd weigh so much more if you didn't work out! All the conventional wisdom out there no doubt supports that way of thinking.

This way of eating and of understanding how our bodies work (and certainly each of us individually as well) is not in the mainstream, is it?

I've lost just 8 pounds from my goal eating this way and (sadly) exercising not one bit. I've recently found I'm hypothyroid and have just started BHRT so am tweaking a lot of things at once, also.

Anyway, from someone who does not exercise so stringently, .
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Buffy on your new low!! You are in the zone girlfriend!!

Judy--that soup sounds amazing. I can't believe that I missed Buffy posting about it. I tend to gloss over recipes and make the same stuff all the time. I'd better pay closer attention.
Buffy is definitely the amazing losing machine!

Kristn this soup just keeps getting better. My DD32 dropped by yesterday while it was bubbling and said, "holy cow! what's going on in here! I can stay for dinner, right?"

The smell is crazy good - like good for your soul good smelling.
That butter just makes everything taste amazing.
I finally fished out all the bones today but did not separate the meat from the broth. I knew my DH and I will finish it in a few days. I can't remember when I've done something so easy that ended up so popular.

Buffy should I have added 1 Tbsp. of vinegar to the whole thing at the beginning of the process? For the "bone broth" part of this?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, don't add the vinegar! I tried that one time after reading that helped get minerals, etc out of the bones, it ruined the taste to me. If you would decide to add it, I would start with a teeny amount. Picked up a chicken today so I can make another batch. You can also thicken the broth just a little by dissolving some xanthan gum in some melted butter, then whisking in.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #102
Big Yapper!!!!

Kristn, not sure which threads I might have posted it on but my secret ingredient is good old butter.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post

Anyway, from someone who does not exercise so stringently, .
Thanks!

I have not logged any workouts into my calendar for next week yet, so I'd say it's a perfect chance to intentionally schedule a lighter week... something like 3 weight workouts and one cardio. I don't think I can go cold turkey just yet.

In other news, ketones were 2.2 this morning, so that's fantastic. I've had really high readings for several days now, and my overall intake of calories and all macros have been down substantially for the past two days. Let's see if I can keep that up through TOM! Also, more scale drama: I saw the same number as yesterday (145.6) on two consecutive tries...then scooted the scale to the left a couple of inches and tried again. Voila, back to 144.4. I weighed again to make sure it wasn't a fluke: 144.4 again. That's the one that's going in my log for the day. Oh yeah, my scale is in the bathroom on flat vinyl flooring - not carpet, so there shouldn't be very much variation in the floor. I think I'll try that technique again tomorrow to see if I lose another pound!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy-I am curious about the soup that everyone is talking about-can you share one more time? thanks in advance--it must be a doozy delicious one!

I am also curious if you are doing any exercise with your terrific losses? I am afraid that is one area I am terribly in the deficit--I know I need to start something and I just keep putting it off-I have never been a fan of anything-regrettably--I just hate it--I don't mind walking but we have a gob lot of snow on the ground right now so that is my excuse at the moment--I always seem to find an excuse-lol!

Jeanne
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #105
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My very first blood ketone test this morning (within 1/2 hour of rising -would have been sooner only I flipped the dog food bowl with wet food in it and it splattered everywhere and then the dog vomitted - good thing I wasn't taking my b.p.!!) and the number was 2.1. My b.g. was also good at 4.4 (79.2).

So I guess the key is to keep the number in a good zone. How often do you all think is to test?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Fabulous Cathy!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

WTG Cathy--Awesome number for a first time I understand--I am saving my two free strips for further down the line to be sure I am deep into NK--again--woohoo!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
My very first blood ketone test this morning (within 1/2 hour of rising -would have been sooner only I flipped the dog food bowl with wet food in it and it splattered everywhere and then the dog vomitted - good thing I wasn't taking my b.p.!!) and the number was 2.1. My b.g. was also good at 4.4 (79.2).

So I guess the key is to keep the number in a good zone. How often do you all think is to test?
good stuff, have you posted a menu anywhere?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #110
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thank you. I have been doing n.k. Since last June but not testing. I post my menu daily on the main board. I should also mention that it appears that I have to keep a pretty low protein cap that others may not.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Great results Cathy. I test once a day, first thing in the AM. That is when they are supposed to be lowest so if I am in the zone then, and eat right, I know I will be in all day.

I'm afraid I am the other extreme from Lindsay, I don't exercise at all. I want to, I know I should, but I keep putting it off. My goal is to get back to walking. For years I walked a lot and it really does good things for your body and soul. I plan on getting back to that.

Ok, here is the soup. Really very simple and I have made stewed or boiled chicken for years but was always disappointed in how bland the broth was. I found the secret ingredient that I was missing, butter!!!

I have an 8 qt. stockpot. Into this I place a whole chicken or chicken parts, you can use what every pieces you like. I fill up with water, add quite a bit of salt and pepper and 1/2 lb butter. Put it on the stove, bring to a boil and then turn down to a very slow simmer and let it go, I often cook it all day. Don't let it just boil or the water will boil away, you want to keep all that nice broth. When the meat is falling off the bone, pull out all the chicken and meat, set aside and strain the broth. When the meat is cooled slightly you can pick all the meat off the bones, and then I usually pack that into small bags of about 4 oz each to use some right away and freeze the rest. I freeze some of the broth in 3-4 cup containers. When I make mine tomorrow, I am going to add an onion and some celery to it, Judy mentioned doing that and that is a great idea. Even more flavor.

This meat is and should be nice and moist but when you rewarm chicken meat, do it slowly and if it is dry, add some butter to that. Butter is our friend . I either warm it in the microwave on low power, or saute in a pan with a little melted butter.
You can drink the broth, or make soups etc. from it. If you want say a cream of chicken soup, add some cream to the broth, some pieces of chicken and then I melt about 2 T of butter, whisk in a small amount of xantan gum and then whisk into soup to slightly thicken it. Salt and pepper to taste.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOWEE Cathy!! Congrats!

Buffy our broth & soup are not going to make it to the freezer. My DH is living on this stuff - happily. It sure was easy to make and is so satisfying to be able to share this and watch peoples' faces as they eat it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
WOWEE Cathy!! Congrats!

Buffy our broth & soup are not going to make it to the freezer. My DH is living on this stuff - happily. It sure was easy to make and is so satisfying to be able to share this and watch peoples' faces as they eat it.
Yay, next year I will sell Toffee and Chicken broth for Christmas gifts,
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post

Thank you both for the advice...Kristn, I know you're tired of telling me the same thing over and over! It's just so hard for me to do. Actually, the idea of reducing or taking a complete break from workouts is not just unappealing but downright scary. I'm terrified of finding out that I'll gain weight when I stop exercising - as if all this work I've been doing for years is responsible for keeping me "merely" overweight as opposed to morbidly obese. ("Imagine how much I'd weigh if I didn't work out!" is a thought I've had many times through the years.)

I realize that way of thinking is probably 100% wrong. I've got to convince myself that taking a break for a couple of weeks does not mean I'm stopping forever, and cutting back to 4 or even 3 days a week is not wimping out. I'm supposed to be doing an experiment to find out what works for me, and all signs point to the fact that changing my workouts is the next logical step. Gonna give it some more thought and see what kind of compromise I can live with.
Lindsay--. I know this fear that you have because I had it too. You cannot make rational decisions out of fear. You need to step back and realize that what you're doing is not getting you where you want to be. I know that it's a leap of faith and goes against everything that you've been told, but like Judy said, this is all going against conventional wisdom!

Another anecdotal data point: Although I don't exercise as much as you, I ended up not taking kettlebell class (and not working out at home) for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years. And by virtue of not being at work as much I cut back my walking and stair climbing by about half during this time. I was very nervous that I would gain but while I was on this break I saw my lowest weight ever, 143.2. That's not to say that I'm going to stop exercising, I love the way it makes me feel, how it makes me look, and how strong I am getting! But from my experience I don't believe that it makes me thinner, or that more is always better.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Cathy! Empirical evidence that you're in ketosis!! If you eat the same macros every day and your weight is moving in the right direction then you don't need to test that often. When I was losing and well into ketosis I tested ~1x week or the morning after I ate something out of the ordinary. I am one who doesn't mind eating much the same thing every day, so once I knew that kept me in ketosis, I didn't need to test all of the time.

You can also use the strips to test your protein and carb limits if you're interested. I found this more useful in maintenance because once I was in ketosis and losing I didn't want to change anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
WTG Cathy--Awesome number for a first time I understand--I am saving my two free strips for further down the line to be sure I am deep into NK--again--woohoo!!!
Jeanne--don't forget that you get two more free strips from registering your meter!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy--thank you so much for the soup recipe! What is the shortest time that you've let it cook and had good results? Do you ever put in vegetables? I ask because DH is horribly sick with the flu right now and I want to make him some soup.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Post off-plan meal (Tuesday) stats:

Wed: Ketones .2, Weight 147.6
Thurs: Ketones .2, Weight 148.2
Fri: Ketones .1, Weight 148
Sat: Ketones .2, Weight 147

Happily my weight and ketones are headed in the correct direction this morning. I also made it to kettlebell class this morning. My 2013 resolution is to up the KBs to 3x/week. This requires doing one workout that is not a class, it will be either a video or on my own. Hopefully I'll have that figured out by next week.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Kristn, not sure which threads I might have posted it on but my secret ingredient is good old butter.
I have also been using this "secret" ingredient in 2 soups I make (well, HWC and a cube of butter). The cube of butter for the big pot really makes it "better than high end restaurant quality"!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Woo hoo Cathy!!!!!! What a fabulous result!!!!

My opinion is that if you are eating the same macros and keeping to a plan, you don't need to test daily, unless you want to fine tune with raising or lowering something (fat/protein/carbs) and want to see how that would change the readings.
Closed Thread