Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #691
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: han1cka
Stats: 207.5/156.5/135
WOE: LC, NK
Start Date: March 09
[QUOTE=luigi_uk;16223758]

anyway back to ketones, i have 3 blood ketone strips left, pooh.]

Luigi, can you buy the strips (and the ketone meter) in the UK, or you get them from the US?
I am asking, because I live in the EU and they are not available where I live, but I can hopefully order from UK. Can't order from USA, due to customs.

Thanks,
Hanna

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #692
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I would add about 1.5 tsp. of lemon juice and a dash of salt.
That sounds good.

I just posted the recipe as she posted it.
I personally always use the extra light olive oil because I don't want the oil to be the 'flavor'. I've had another friend say I should use lemon juice instead of vinegar and I might try that one day. I'm just so happy with the flavor of the mayo I've got. And it's so darn easy.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #693
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
That sounds good.

I just posted the recipe as she posted it.
I personally always use the extra light olive oil because I don't want the oil to be the 'flavor'. I've had another friend say I should use lemon juice instead of vinegar and I might try that one day. I'm just so happy with the flavor of the mayo I've got. And it's so darn easy.
I use extra light olive oil too for the same reason. The recipe I use is from the Atkins web site and they call for both vinegar and lemon juice. I like my mayo tangy so this really fits the bill. My biggest problem is keeping it from flying over the kitchen when I lose control of my immersion blender and the container while drizzeling in the oil. This has happened a couple of times now so I can't say I have 'dummy proofed' it yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well we made it to Ga was a good trip!now we leave on Thursday for PR.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Weight
145.2 --> 146.0 --> 145.8 --> 145.6 --> 145.2 --> 143.8 --> 144.4 --> 144.0 --> 143.0

Ketones
1.9 --> 1.9 --> 2.7 --> 1.9 --> 3.2 --> 2.2 --> 1.8 --> 2.1 --> 1.8

Today I'm back (again) to the lowest weight I've seen since November 1. I don't think anything I'm seeing is significant enough to get too excited about, although I'm always happy to see a lower weight than the day before.

The only thing I've really changed lately is tracking water intake, ensuring that I get at least 72 oz a day. I started that on January 16. Most days, I'm getting more like 100 oz. It was about that same date that my fat intake started consistently being lower. It's now averaging about 115g per day, although it can hit about 135g on days we eat at a restaurant.

Really looking forward to next week's doctor's appointment when I can talk about possible thyroid issues and get those blood tests done.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Woo hoo Lindsay! Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm loving all the mayo recipes. My problem is that we don't eat enough to make it worthwhile. I have to make the smallest batch and then I get nervous when a week or two goes by and it's mostly still in the jar.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Weight
145.2 --> 146.0 --> 145.8 --> 145.6 --> 145.2 --> 143.8 --> 144.4 --> 144.0 --> 143.0

Ketones
1.9 --> 1.9 --> 2.7 --> 1.9 --> 3.2 --> 2.2 --> 1.8 --> 2.1 --> 1.8

Today I'm back (again) to the lowest weight I've seen since November 1. I don't think anything I'm seeing is significant enough to get too excited about, although I'm always happy to see a lower weight than the day before.

The only thing I've really changed lately is tracking water intake, ensuring that I get at least 72 oz a day. I started that on January 16. Most days, I'm getting more like 100 oz. It was about that same date that my fat intake started consistently being lower. It's now averaging about 115g per day, although it can hit about 135g on days we eat at a restaurant.

Really looking forward to next week's doctor's appointment when I can talk about possible thyroid issues and get those blood tests done.
That's excellent news! New lows are always something to celebrate!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #698
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Woo hoo Lindsay! Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm loving all the mayo recipes. My problem is that we don't eat enough to make it worthwhile. I have to make the smallest batch and then I get nervous when a week or two goes by and it's mostly still in the jar.
I know this is kind of silly... but not seeing you post as much has sort of caused me to stop too (I'm still tracking my numbers though)...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #699
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have been eating at the top of my protein range for a few days now and my ketones are a bit lower but nothing too bad. I am going to continue testing for a few more days just to see if there is a pattern. Today my protein is lower so I would expect my ketones to stay the same but not dip. Today...1.6 ketones and 5.1 b.g.

Last edited by clackley; 01-30-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #700
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Just wanted to stop by and say hi until I get back in the groove and get to posting again.

I am just trying to get well and get stronger again.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #701
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KnotDreams
Ketones are starting to show up when I test my urine, so I decided to go ahead and test for blood ketones today. My first time, so I'm carefully reading the instructions and more than a little nervous... and confused.
Guess what! PRECISION XTRA meter, NOVA MAX strips! No wonder the strips looked different from the instructions.
Hopefully, CVS will take back the unopened box. Guess the opened box is just wasted.
More strips on the way from Canada--the right ones this time.

Hope you're all having a good day.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotDreams View Post
Ketones are starting to show up when I test my urine, so I decided to go ahead and test for blood ketones today. My first time, so I'm carefully reading the instructions and more than a little nervous... and confused.
Guess what! PRECISION XTRA meter, NOVA MAX strips! No wonder the strips looked different from the instructions.
Hopefully, CVS will take back the unopened box. Guess the opened box is just wasted.

You can always just keep your strips and order the free Nova Max machine online.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
This was posted by solarpluvia in the "High Fat, Low to Moderate Protein Recipes?"
I've made it several times (I cut it in half) and I really like this recipe.

Easy Two Egg Mayonaise

2 large eggs (at room temperature!)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I prefer plain cheap white)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard (more or less, to taste)
dashes of salt and pepper
2 Cups oil of choice
(I use light olive regularly, but I've switched in MCT oil and macadamia nut oil for about 1/2 a cup sometimes. The MCT makes it emulsify less well, but I've got a bunch to use up. But I didn't like the mac oil even at less than a quarter, so I've stayed away from other nut oils as well. I don't want my mayo to taste nutty, it tastes wrong to me but YMMV.)

For stick blender: Add ingredients in order to vessel of choice (I use a quart size mason jar so that I don't have to move the mayo). Put the stick in all the way to the bottom, turn it on and hold it there for about 20 seconds, until you can see the emulsion has taken over the bottom of the jar. Then move it up and down until all of the oil is incorporated.

For other methods: I wish you all of the luck I never had.

Note: Per the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, I also add about 2 Tbsp of whey from yogurt or sour cream at the end and let it sit a while on the counter, but this is totally optional. The whey is for durability and adding a bit of lacto-fermentation is never a bad thing.

About light olive oils, if they aren't processed with hexane, that fact will probably be somewhere on the label. Non-hexane processed light olive oil may be a little more golden, but it tastes just as neutral as the hexane processed stuff. And if you can't find a non-hexane processed oil, you're probably still better off using light olive oil than any other similarly priced oil simply because of the fatty acid profile. Everything else has signifigantly more PUFAs.
thanks to everybody for posting their mayo recipes. I'll be giving several a try to see which one i like best...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around. I am super busy right now and I've put a lot of things on autopilot. I'm still maintaining but I haven't been testing, just weighing in every morning. It's amazing how easy it was to stop testing and get those extra few minutes of sleep in the mornings. I'm going to test over the weekend when I have more time.

Does anyone have the time to start up a new thread tomorrow?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #705
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Can you just copy and paste the first post from this thread to a new thread? I can't. And I don't type very fast.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

It's putting in the links that takes some time, they don't come through when you copy and paste. I may be able to squeeze in some time tomorrow to set it up.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotDreams View Post

Based on my experience just now, it may be worthwhile to practice getting enough blood. I just wasted 3 strips, finally read up on it and got enough blood on the 4th. Expensive mistake!

On the plus side, my strips finally came! It's 1:00 pm, and I got a reading of 2.1. So, that's confirming my suspicion that I'm in ketosis. But what's the single-best time of day to test? First thing in the morning, before eating or doing much activity, is that right? It seems like you'd be dehydrated and have not much blood flow yet, and it might be hard to get enough blood then. ?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Based on my experience just now, it may be worthwhile to practice getting enough blood. I just wasted 3 strips, finally read up on it and got enough blood on the 4th. Expensive mistake!

On the plus side, my strips finally came! It's 1:00 pm, and I got a reading of 2.1. So, that's confirming my suspicion that I'm in ketosis. But what's the single-best time of day to test? First thing in the morning, before eating or doing much activity, is that right? It seems like you'd be dehydrated and have not much blood flow yet, and it might be hard to get enough blood then. ?
Best time is first thing in the morning while fasting. This will give you the most accurate reading.

Volek and Phinney describe a diurnal variation in ketone production, with the lowest amount in the AM. So if you're in the zone in the morning, then you should be for the rest of the day, since that will be your lowest amount.

In my experience I've been distrustful of testing later in the day because of the potential effect of my meals. Food can still be absorbed 6 hours after you've swallowed it.

The reason you test is to know whether your body is producing ketones. You don't want any ketones coming from something you've eaten to screw up your numbers and give you a false impression as to what's going on.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks so much, bjj. That's very helpful!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #710
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Does anyone have the time to start up a new thread tomorrow?
Done.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much MerryKate!!

I'll ask the moderators to close this thread. The link to the new thread is: February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?. Everyone come on over and start posting!!
Closed Thread