Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #631
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Still in the zone - ketones 2.8 this a.m. and b.g. 5.1 (91.8).

Last edited by clackley; 01-22-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #632
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.
Hopefully back to posting daily.
I think I am making very slow progress in working back to feeling like myself again.

Still not back in ketosis from eating that terrible hospital food but weight is remaining right at 181 or there abouts. Should hit ketosis in 2-3 days. A friend did bring some taco soup over that isn't very low carb but I just ate a small amount of the soup, over a lettuce salad with cheese on it and ranch dressing, so not too many carbs. As I feel better I will be able to get back in the kitchen more. Goal now is to just not gain or get lured into carbdom.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Disappointing update this morning...not much commentary needed.

Ketones
1.2 --> 2.7 --> 2.6 --> 3.5 --> 2.7 --> 2.8 --> 2.9 --> 1.3 --> 2.5 --> 1.9 --> 1.9

Weight
143.0 --> 143.0 --> 144.0 --> 144.6 --> 145ish (went back to old analog scale) --> 145ish --> 145ish --> 144ish --> 144ish --> 145.2 (new digital scale) --> 146.0

I guess I could take my new scale back to Walmart too, but that would be burying my head in the sand. Should I mention my start weight back on November 1 was about 147? Can't be too precise, that was the analog scale. I'm getting close to my three month NK anniversary.

I can't realistically expect my calories or macros to be any better (lower) than they have been this week, I've had to take a lot of rest days from exercise because of work (yesterday too, unexpectedly), and I've exceeded my minimum water intake every day since I started tracking (6 days ago). My fasting ketones are high, which is telling me a different story from what the scale is saying. I'm 10 or 11 days from starting TOM. I can't think of any other factors to mention.

When we finally go to print with the magazine later this morning, I should finally have time to work out again. I can't wait to take my frustration out on something.

Okay, you tried backing off from your normal level of exercise, that did not help. Have you tried going through various foods that sometimes cause people to stall and tried eliminating them for a month? Usually people focus on dairy (or all dairy except for butter), nuts and anything you can't be certain of the composition of. Not sure if this would sound good to you, but you could try an extremely restricted form of the diet for a while (eg, "meat and eggs fast") to see if that budges you.

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Lindsay--I'm sorry that you seem to be stuck! I may have asked you this before but have you had your thyroid tested?
Back in August of last year, I had some blood work done by my gynecologist that determined I was postmenopausal. I went to see her because I had not had TOM for several months (6? 8?) and had recently been confronted with the fact that I had gained about 20 pounds without even knowing it. Anyway, that blood test included FSH, prolactin and TSH only. I wasn't even expecting to have TSH in the test. I know there has been a lot of discussion about thyroid on this forum, but I have always just skimmed it since I didn't think I needed that info. So, I can't remember what people have said about the proper thyroid tests to have done...I'm sure just TSH is practically useless.

I found my copy of the results:

FSH: 64.9 (postmenopausal range is 34 - 153)

Prolactin: 38.1 (normal range is 3 - 23, but she said this was not far enough out of range to worry about)

TSH: 1.886 (it shows the normal range as 0.35 - 5.5)

My doctor just passed over the thyroid info as "normal" and spent the rest of the time talking about menopause. I've been on a low dose birth control pill since then and can definitely tell a difference (no more hot flashes, and I have had a "regular" TOM every month).

I am due to go back to this doctor soon, so if anyone can point me in the direction of "thyroid for dummies" I would love to have some questions prepared for my doctor at my next visit.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Okay, you tried backing off from your normal level of exercise, that did not help. Have you tried going through various foods that sometimes cause people to stall and tried eliminating them for a month? Usually people focus on dairy (or all dairy except for butter), nuts and anything you can't be certain of the composition of. Not sure if this would sound good to you, but you could try an extremely restricted form of the diet for a while (eg, "meat and eggs fast") to see if that budges you.

--
Phillip
Thanks for the ideas. I already eliminated my excessive use of the "questionable" artificial sweeteners but still use liquid sucralose and flavored sugar free DaVinci syrups in my coffee every day. I still drink 12oz cans of diet soda a few times a week though.

I can't imagine cutting out dairy because I also use HWC in my coffee. I don't eat a lot of cheese (about 1 serving per per week), and the other dairy I eat is in the form of cream cheese and sour cream. The cream cheese goes on my bacon every day (1 tbsp). I used to mix up sour cream in my eggs daily, but I eliminated that in the effort to reduce fat grams...so now the sour cream is more of a once or twice a week thing. I guess if I could adjust to not having any HWC in my coffee, I could also eliminate the other dairy sources without much trouble.

It makes me sad to consider giving up all that, though. Not that I can't or won't be willing to do it, but the skeptical/scientific part of my brain wants to understand exactly why dairy would affect anyone in this way (3 month weight loss stall in spite of "doing everything right"). Is there already an answer to this question somewhere, or is this one of those "life's just not fair and get over it" things?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Lindsay, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that NK is not for every body. Many of us have been following the rules and "doing everything right" for months....for me, this week is 5 months. I'm still waiting for the Skaldeman book I ordered a while back before 100% giving up on this.

Hearing about everyones weightloss and inchloss successes, the good blood tests people are getting after eating this way and getting those losses has me scratching my head as to WHY it's not working for me. And not for you either.

I am wondering if a previous posters idea of the way we have eaten in the past, or the fact that neither of us is "obese" by chart standards, etc. has something to do with it. It's been mentioned many times that if you are "close to goal" that it is hard. But then why can many achieve their goal weights and even go lower? I can't even lose anything. I'm up 4# in 5 months of this plan. I stopped testing and have nearly 6 full boxes of ketone strips that I'm considering listing on ebay at this point. It's just so darned frustrating to, as we have both said, "doing everything right" and getting bad results. I'm up a pants size and up 4#. Not what I had in mind.

You are young, but at my age, I am doing this for health reasons...but being healthy does not mean (to me) getting larger and gaining more weight...most of it being apparently fat!

What to do, what to do?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I already eliminated my excessive use of the "questionable" artificial sweeteners but still use liquid sucralose and flavored sugar free DaVinci syrups in my coffee every day. I still drink 12oz cans of diet soda a few times a week though.

I can't imagine cutting out dairy because I also use HWC in my coffee. I don't eat a lot of cheese (about 1 serving per per week), and the other dairy I eat is in the form of cream cheese and sour cream. The cream cheese goes on my bacon every day (1 tbsp). I used to mix up sour cream in my eggs daily, but I eliminated that in the effort to reduce fat grams...so now the sour cream is more of a once or twice a week thing. I guess if I could adjust to not having any HWC in my coffee, I could also eliminate the other dairy sources without much trouble.

It makes me sad to consider giving up all that, though. Not that I can't or won't be willing to do it, but the skeptical/scientific part of my brain wants to understand exactly why dairy would affect anyone in this way (3 month weight loss stall in spite of "doing everything right"). Is there already an answer to this question somewhere, or is this one of those "life's just not fair and get over it" things?
Okay, I don't have have the answer on dairy. I can tell you that my weight definitely started going up when I started drinking lots of HWC. (Like a pint a day.) Weight gain is likely important for a calf, so there are probably substances in the milk that promote that weight gain. (I think most of my weight gain is muscle as I do power lifting and have seen my muscles hypertrophy. But some of it is definitely fat.)

I guess you are not drinking that much HWC, though. I don't know, dairy was mentioned in one of the Phinney and Volek books as something that could cause a stall.

If you did start losing it would not take you all that long to get to your goal weight. At which point you could try adding some of the foods you like back.

You could try just cutting out the soda (in case it is causing a "cephalic" insulin release) and HWC and see if that does the trick. If not you could drop the dairy altogether.

By the way, do you have a computer you can download a spreadsheet program onto? It seems like you are driving yourself crazy with fairly minor fluctuations in your weight. If you had a spreadsheet program you can graph a week or 10 average of your weight, to keep things in perspective. Then you tend to see trends rather than day to day fluctuations.

--
Phillip

Last edited by NKSL55; 01-22-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #638
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:

Your situation is puzzling since your blood ketones confirm that you are in nutritional ketosis.... which should indicate everything is going well and according to plan.

(Just checking, do you check your ketones in the AM before eating anything?)

The only question is the weight loss.

I found a great website.. that I guess I can't post a link to.. but can be found by googling (lowcarbbetterhealth) , in which this person posted weekly/monthly data including ketones, blood sugars, weight, and various measurements of body circumference (neck abdomen, arms, etc..)

It seems to be a good way to track actual change in body composition and may be more helpful for someone in your case... perhaps you're gaining muscle and that's accounting for the weight changes.

And since you are someone who is very good at tracking, this can be something tangible and measurable you can document.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #639
Senior LCF Member

Weight: 181.8 -> 180.6 - 179.6 -> 181.2 -> 180.6 -> 179.2 -> 179.6 -> 181 -> 181.2 -> 180.4
AM Ketones: 0.5 -> 1.7 -> 0.7 -> 1.1 -> 0.9 -> 0.9 -> 0.6 -> 0.7 -> 0.6 -> 1.4

Day 16 of nutritional ketosis

I seem to be in the same boat as others in which my weight really isn't going anywhere.. just bouncing around 180.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all just checking in,want y'all to know I made my goal before leaving on my vacation to Puerto Rioc ....155 I'm so happy worked very hard..
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Disappointing update this morning...not much commentary needed.

Ketones
1.2 --> 2.7 --> 2.6 --> 3.5 --> 2.7 --> 2.8 --> 2.9 --> 1.3 --> 2.5 --> 1.9 --> 1.9

Weight
143.0 --> 143.0 --> 144.0 --> 144.6 --> 145ish (went back to old analog scale) --> 145ish --> 145ish --> 144ish --> 144ish --> 145.2 (new digital scale) --> 146.0

I guess I could take my new scale back to Walmart too, but that would be burying my head in the sand. Should I mention my start weight back on November 1 was about 147? Can't be too precise, that was the analog scale. I'm getting close to my three month NK anniversary.

I can't realistically expect my calories or macros to be any better (lower) than they have been this week, I've had to take a lot of rest days from exercise because of work (yesterday too, unexpectedly), and I've exceeded my minimum water intake every day since I started tracking (6 days ago). My fasting ketones are high, which is telling me a different story from what the scale is saying. I'm 10 or 11 days from starting TOM. I can't think of any other factors to mention.

When we finally go to print with the magazine later this morning, I should finally have time to work out again. I can't wait to take my frustration out on something.

I know the frustration!! Which, I think, contributes to allowing our bodies release the weight. Since I stopped tracking anything- I feel alot better mentally- I have no idea what my ketones/weight is, but I'm not mentally obsessed w/why my weight isn't moving. I hope things begin to improve for you soon!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning.
Hopefully back to posting daily.
I think I am making very slow progress in working back to feeling like myself again.

Still not back in ketosis from eating that terrible hospital food but weight is remaining right at 181 or there abouts. Should hit ketosis in 2-3 days. A friend did bring some taco soup over that isn't very low carb but I just ate a small amount of the soup, over a lettuce salad with cheese on it and ranch dressing, so not too many carbs. As I feel better I will be able to get back in the kitchen more. Goal now is to just not gain or get lured into carbdom.
So glad to hear life is beginning to settle down for you again! I hope your health only continues to improve!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #643
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think when all reasonable attempts at weight loss seem to fail, one really needs to take a close look at thyroid function. Even if labs appear normal, that does not necessarily tell the story.

I am pretty certain that I have been in ketosis for better than 2 yrs. with no weight loss and some actual regaining. I have tried it all (at least those things that made sense and were at least somewhat sustainable).

I live in a place that doesn't allow for much deviance from the standard medical practices and thyroid can be tricky to diagnose so even though I had tons of symptoms - I still fell within the 'range' with blood testing only TSH. I had given up but guess my thyroid got a bit more broken and I am now on the path to being treated properly. At some point, I should be able to lose again.

End story, is that some people can be in N.K. and eating a considerably small amount of calories and still not lose because something else is at play.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Thank you to everyone who has posted thyroid advice...I have been reading about it since last night and feel slightly more educated about what to ask my doctor. Today I'm going to call for an appointment as soon as I can, since I am due to go see her again in February anyway. I would like to request as many blood tests as I can - not just all the thyroid stuff (free T3, etc.) but also cortisol, vitamin D, and whatever else I can think of that could be off about my hormones. This could get expensive...my insurance is not the greatest.

Ketones shot up to 2.7 this morning, weight was down a whopping .2 pounds to 145.8 (ha ha). So, I can say I've "lost" about 1.2 pounds since November 1. But I'm really not sure about that, since I have used three different scales during that time.

Yesterday I did a heavy punching bag Tabata workout, and it felt wonderful. What a way to break in my new bag and gloves!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Your situation is puzzling since your blood ketones confirm that you are in nutritional ketosis.... which should indicate everything is going well and according to plan.

(Just checking, do you check your ketones in the AM before eating anything?)

The only question is the weight loss.

I found a great website.. that I guess I can't post a link to.. but can be found by googling (lowcarbbetterhealth) , in which this person posted weekly/monthly data including ketones, blood sugars, weight, and various measurements of body circumference (neck abdomen, arms, etc..)

It seems to be a good way to track actual change in body composition and may be more helpful for someone in your case... perhaps you're gaining muscle and that's accounting for the weight changes.

And since you are someone who is very good at tracking, this can be something tangible and measurable you can document.
Yes, I check ketones first thing in the morning (well, after going to the bathroom and then weighing). I refuse to take even one sip of coffee until I've done the test! I used to test ketones at other times during the day too, just because I was so curious and obsessive about testing. But I've settled into a habit of testing only fasting a.m. ketones now.

You're right about the body composition thing...it's possible that could be changing some without showing up on the scale. I haven't been measuring circumference of anything, but instead I use those infamous jeans I mentioned several days ago (I tried them on again with disastrous results). So that tells me I probably haven't lost much inches-wise, at least not in the waist/hip area.

I will check out the website you mentioned - thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #646
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning! Quick check in here.
Still not back in ketosis but still eating on that taco soup my friend brought by. I know I am eating more carbs than I was before but mostly in the form of that soup and more berries.

Weight down another lb.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #647
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Darn it, I thought I posted, but it doesn't seem to be here.

Lindsay--I think you're right to get everything thoroughly tested. The fact that you went into early menopause should be a trigger for this type of testing!! And congrats on the small loss.

Buffy--It's great to hear from you. How are you feeling?

Becky--congrats on hitting goal before your vacation!!

I have not much to report. I think I'm going to post my stats weekly rather than daily (I'm still tracking). My ketones were .4 this morning, so not quite back in ketosis, but to be honest I haven't been trying that hard.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Unstrung, if I had BK readings that high, I would try dropping fat calories about 200 calories for a bit and see if,
#1- ketones stay high. Maybe you are replacing fat as fast as you are losing it.
#2- there is a weight change in 2 weeks

I would have to see if my body fat could replace ingested fat to maintain those high ketone levels.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Darn it, I thought I posted, but it doesn't seem to be here.

I have not much to report. I think I'm going to post my stats weekly rather than daily (I'm still tracking). My ketones were .4 this morning, so not quite back in ketosis, but to be honest I haven't been trying that hard.
That's the beauty of being in maintenance isn't it? You can let your foot off the gas pedal a little bit...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
meant to do a BS reading after eating home made curry with home grown marrow, was a BK strip...

PM readings

BK 2.4
BS 4.3 (no spikes

had results from food intolerance test, cows milk borderline, so no butter, cream, cheese for 3 months if i follow the guidelines, probably good idea as in pain most of the time
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
meant to do a BS reading after eating home made curry with home grown marrow, was a BK strip...

PM readings

BK 2.4
BS 4.3 (no spikes

had results from food intolerance test, cows milk borderline, so no butter, cream, cheese for 3 months if i follow the guidelines, probably good idea as in pain most of the time
what else do they test for in the food intolerance test? I was thinking bout doing one of those too
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
what else do they test for in the food intolerance test? I was thinking bout doing one of those too
they have a few different tests, very proffesional and helpful, its uk based but im sure the same exists in the us.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #653
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Lindsay, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that NK is not for every body. Many of us have been following the rules and "doing everything right" for months....for me, this week is 5 months. I'm still waiting for the Skaldeman book I ordered a while back before 100% giving up on this.

Hearing about everyones weightloss and inchloss successes, the good blood tests people are getting after eating this way and getting those losses has me scratching my head as to WHY it's not working for me. And not for you either.

I am wondering if a previous posters idea of the way we have eaten in the past, or the fact that neither of us is "obese" by chart standards, etc. has something to do with it. It's been mentioned many times that if you are "close to goal" that it is hard. But then why can many achieve their goal weights and even go lower? I can't even lose anything. I'm up 4# in 5 months of this plan. I stopped testing and have nearly 6 full boxes of ketone strips that I'm considering listing on ebay at this point. It's just so darned frustrating to, as we have both said, "doing everything right" and getting bad results. I'm up a pants size and up 4#. Not what I had in mind.

You are young, but at my age, I am doing this for health reasons...but being healthy does not mean (to me) getting larger and gaining more weight...most of it being apparently fat!

What to do, what to do?
I don't know what to say either, other than thanks for your concern and support!!

I'm sorry if I missed a discussion about this earlier, but have you had your thyroid tested? I made my appointment yesterday... unfortunately I have to wait until February 5 because my doctor is on vacation. I'm impatient and want to know now!!

I will look into that Skaldeman book, too... just found it on Amazon for Kindle. That's what I like, instant gratification!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #654
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Okay, I don't have have the answer on dairy. I can tell you that my weight definitely started going up when I started drinking lots of HWC. (Like a pint a day.) Weight gain is likely important for a calf, so there are probably substances in the milk that promote that weight gain. (I think most of my weight gain is muscle as I do power lifting and have seen my muscles hypertrophy. But some of it is definitely fat.)

I guess you are not drinking that much HWC, though. I don't know, dairy was mentioned in one of the Phinney and Volek books as something that could cause a stall.

If you did start losing it would not take you all that long to get to your goal weight. At which point you could try adding some of the foods you like back.

You could try just cutting out the soda (in case it is causing a "cephalic" insulin release) and HWC and see if that does the trick. If not you could drop the dairy altogether.

By the way, do you have a computer you can download a spreadsheet program onto? It seems like you are driving yourself crazy with fairly minor fluctuations in your weight. If you had a spreadsheet program you can graph a week or 10 average of your weight, to keep things in perspective. Then you tend to see trends rather than day to day fluctuations.

--
Phillip
I do drink kind of a lot of coffee.... usually 3 or 4 cups of caffeinated coffee throughout the morning, then at some point in the afternoon I have 2 cups of decaf. And in each cup is a bit of HWC. I doubt it adds up to a pint, but it's certainly more than, say, one or two tablespoons a day.

I think I could probably live without the diet soda... yesterday I didn't have one, simply because I was trying to get in all my daily water intake instead. I ended up having 126 oz of water yesterday, though!

I have a MacBook Retina on which I work at home (graphic design), and I've been using Numbers (the iWork spreadsheet program) for tracking everything since I started. Actually, I tracked for several days before I officially started, because I wanted to see what I would have normally done in my diet before changing to NK. (Typical day: 2,000 calories or more, anywhere between 100-150g of protein, 50-70g of carbs). Out of curiosity, yesterday I went back to the true beginning and averaged daily calorie intake from November 1 until now: 1,700.

But unfortunately, if I were to create a chart to show weight change since the beginning, it would basically be a slightly squiggly flat line with only one significant dip at the beginning. I started at 147 (analog scale), apparently dropped to as low as 143 within the first couple of weeks (still on the analog scale), and ever since then, it's went back and forth between 144 and 146. This morning, on my new and more consistent digital scale, I was 145.6, which is at least an improvement over 2 days ago (146).

Thanks for all your input and advice. I think I'm going to see how my thyroid test goes before making any more dramatic changes in my diet... probably will keep avoiding diet soda but no HWC elimination just yet.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Unstrung, if I had BK readings that high, I would try dropping fat calories about 200 calories for a bit and see if,
#1- ketones stay high. Maybe you are replacing fat as fast as you are losing it.
#2- there is a weight change in 2 weeks

I would have to see if my body fat could replace ingested fat to maintain those high ketone levels.
Thanks. I recently attempted to drop my daily fat intake, but I may not have given it enough time yet. Let's see...consulting the old spreadsheet....

Looks like I've definitely dropped my average fat intake since November 1. November's range was 86g-223g (!!) and the average was 157g. In December, the range was 100g-164g, with the average being 140g. In January, my range so far has been 90g-155g, but the average is now 127g. In my mind, I am now aiming for 100g each day, but I overshoot it on a lot of days primarily because of restaurants. It looks like I started making that conscious effort to cut back on fat grams around the second week of January. So... maybe I honestly haven't given it enough time yet at the lower fat intake.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Weight: 181.8 -> 180.6 - 179.6 -> 181.2 -> 180.6 -> 179.2 -> 179.6 -> 181 -> 181.2 -> 180.4 -> 179.6 - 180.6

AM Ketones: 0.5 -> 1.7 -> 0.7 -> 1.1 -> 0.9 -> 0.9 -> 0.6 -> 0.7 -> 0.6 -> 1.4 -> 1.1 -> 0.8

18 consecutive days of nutritional ketosis.

Just had my mind blown! The blog I've beeng going through lately.. was that of Rebecca Latham's (you can find it by searching her name and the word ketosis)... and in one of the posts (I think under the week 3 results) she was also sharing her results here on the low carb forums! Probably around the time the nutritional ketosis section was formed. Pretty cool.

I think I've finally convinced myself to start tracking weekly body circumference measurements... so starting next week I'll begin (still on the road right now). I think this will give a lot of valuable information and will great way of measuring progress (or regress?) alongside the scale..
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
See post #3.

She is great.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't know what to say either, other than thanks for your concern and support!!

I'm sorry if I missed a discussion about this earlier, but have you had your thyroid tested? I made my appointment yesterday... unfortunately I have to wait until February 5 because my doctor is on vacation. I'm impatient and want to know now!!

I will look into that Skaldeman book, too... just found it on Amazon for Kindle. That's what I like, instant gratification!
Hi Lindsay.....My thyroid is optimized, and not per doctors "ranges". I've been doing thyroid for many years, since the mid 80's, and really have researched the heck out of what is optimal. "In range" is a joke!

Anyway, I got Skaldeman's book in the mail yesterday and have just finished reading it cover to cover. And I'm ready to start again with gusto with HIS way of doing the NK eating....different, no logging, measuring, etc. took 2 weeks to get the book as I don't have a kindle, and like the "pages" to highlight and for the many recipes for ease of use. Worth waiting 2 weeks unless you've already ordered it.

Bottomine is that he says that 1 in 4 women will not have this work for them....men will lose double the weight of women. Have to give the program 3 months with NOT ONE LITTLE BITTY CHEAT!!!!! (he didn't exactly say it that way, but that's what I got from what I read). And then if the 25% of women don't find losses being perfect, then it could be one of 5 things... basically dairy, nuts, wrong fats, etc. Oh...and sucralose and other sweeteners, but stevia is apparently acceptable if you "must" have a sweet taste, but not recommended as that stalls you in the "brain" with wanting sweets. It's a great book. For the way my mind works, this was really a good one! I'm glad I got it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Weight: 181.8 -> 180.6 - 179.6 -> 181.2 -> 180.6 -> 179.2 -> 179.6 -> 181 -> 181.2 -> 180.4 -> 179.6 - 180.6

AM Ketones: 0.5 -> 1.7 -> 0.7 -> 1.1 -> 0.9 -> 0.9 -> 0.6 -> 0.7 -> 0.6 -> 1.4 -> 1.1 -> 0.8

18 consecutive days of nutritional ketosis.

Just had my mind blown! The blog I've beeng going through lately.. was that of Rebecca Latham's (you can find it by searching her name and the word ketosis)... and in one of the posts (I think under the week 3 results) she was also sharing her results here on the low carb forums! Probably around the time the nutritional ketosis section was formed. Pretty cool.

I think I've finally convinced myself to start tracking weekly body circumference measurements... so starting next week I'll begin (still on the road right now). I think this will give a lot of valuable information and will great way of measuring progress (or regress?) alongside the scale..
Ah yes....Rebecca pops in every now and then....since Aug/Sept. I think? She's done great! Nice woman too!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Shelley, is the Skaldeman book Lose Weight by Eating? Searching on Amazon, want to make sure I found the right one. Thanks.
Closed Thread