Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Love the title!!
Thanks to drjlocarb for the title of the thread!

Quote:
I had some time today to read Dr. Peter Attia's blog on ketosis (101 and 102). Very interesting!!
Lots of great stuff on that blog! I need to go and read more when I get a chance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Kristin you have done so good!!im now 25 lbs from goal,any suggestions?right now I'm just eating meat and eggs with high fat seems to work..I try to eat 1200 cals do you think that's to little? Again you should be so proud of yourself stay around and help us get there to.
You're doing great Becky! If it's working, keep going and don't change what you're doing! I don't think that 1200 calories is too little if you're losing steadily. Apparently there are people who stop losing when their calories go too low, but if that was happening you would know because you would stop losing.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Re Dr. Attia's blog: I usually eat that sciencey stuff up, but I have to admit he sometimes goes way over my head, and I have to skim the text and scroll down to find the "take home" points. I'm just happy there are people out there who can understand all of it and are willing to help the rest of us!

Today's update is both and

Morning ketones: 2.1

Weight: I think 144.4 again, but my scale experienced a period of demon possession prior to calming down and displaying that weight on two consecutive attempts. I turned it on, waited for the display to zero out, then it acted as though I had tried to weigh something that was about 5 pounds (but there was nothing on the scale). I turned it off and back on again, waited for it to zero out, stepped on the scale and was dismayed to see 149 point something. But it went to some error immediately after that rather than show a body fat percentage. So, I turned it off and back on again, waited, then stepped on, and we were back to the typical 144.4. Then I repeated that last sequence with the same result. I also dragged out my analog scale for comparison, and it matched very closely to the 144.4 reading.

Also, I'm still pretty sore today from workouts this week. I just can't stop doing the new system I received last week. Each workout so far has been a blast! Today is the boxing workout, Hard Strikes.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Rebecca! It's great to see you here again. How are things going?
Hi, Kristn!

Still hanging in there. Being within a few ounces of my goal weight, there is not much to report. I stick to NK 90% of the time, only going off for a special meal, holiday, etc. I may gain a little then, but it comes right back off. I did gain 10 pounds over Thanksgiving, and it took about a week to get it back off.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

I think that all of the links to this thread are fixed now! Even my signature link was changed and I didn't know it.

In case anyone is wondering what happened, yesterday someone reported that there were duplicate threads (this thread and the 80/15/5 thread) so the moderators combined the two. I let Dottie know and she very carefully split the two threads out again. Unfortunately in the first combination links were changed and then needed to be changed back. I first realized this when drjlocarb posted this morning and I tried to find the bad links and report them to the mods.

So if you find a bad link report it to the mods and they will make the change.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Lindsay--Your scale does seem to be behaving strangely. Maybe you can return it for a different model? for your ketones!

Rebecca--I'm so glad to hear that it's going so well for you!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Morning readings
BS 4.8
BK 0.2

60 minutes moderate/heavy cardio

I noticed I need to eat less protein than the keto generator came up with, even the lower end.

Evening readings
BS 4.8
BK 0.9

Nite
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I did find a reference to the "reference weight" we were wondering about. They reference back to "The New Atkins For A New You". I don't have the book, so maybe someone can look that up for us if you have the book.
I just put this book on hold at the library. Hopefully it will shed some light on the subject.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
I noticed I need to eat less protein than the keto generator came up with, even the lower end.
This seems to be true for some people. Experimentation seems to be the only way to truly figure out how much protein one can eat to maintain LBM and stay in ketosis.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Location: I am always mobile. iPad/iPhone and fat fingers. I promise I didn't let my 3 yo type my post :)!
Gallery: Haycyn
Stats: 172/147/122
WOE: VLC/LC 172-150, juddd 150-144/122
Start Date: 09/12
Hi. I am new here. I followed low carb back in 2010 and lost 65 pounds of baby wt. I regained it all w the next pregnancy and am still working to get it off. He is 2. I went LC again in Sept and have lost nearly 25 pounds. But the scale stopped 6 wks ago. I have been reading TAASLC, in an effort to convince myself to stay on LC
So, I say all of that to say thanks.
I will begin adjusting my ratios.
I am on vacation/w my husband while he works out of town for two more wks, so I am limited in what I can buy and what I can order. No ketone meter for me until home :/.

I do have a question. I have been wanting to give up coffee as it messes w my mood, energy, and hunger. Any thoughts? I drink anywhere from 4-10 cups (5 oz) a day. I quit for 4 days and started back in a simple comparative test Nd I was defiantly in less pain, anxiety/moody, and less hungry. Incidentally or perhaps not, I cheated on my diet. It had been coming, lots of cookies here and I had nibbled a bit here and there until I just fell off the edge.
Anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks again.
I will be back. I am reading the original NK thread and am in pg 3- I've got a bit to go.

Anyone want to help me figure my numbers. 147-149 pounds. 5'5. No idea LBM, maybe 120 #. I eat less than 20 carbs now, HF, HP- fat and protein are about 50/50 at usually 100-110g each.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hi Haycn ,
I just wanted to say I am 5'6 and couple years ago when i tested for bodyfat ,mine was 24% at 154 pounds.In fact my goal weight is 150 pounds.I think I may have some bone weight too,and my lbm was around 128 I think,so you may not have much to lose
either ,is all I am saying.

I am back after some holiday bingeing,didn't plan to,but happened anyway.
I am 'restarting' kind of.On a tight budget this year,so I won't be testing too often,will test if need arises.Otherwise will focus on weight loss bcoz thats my goal here,to lose 50 pounds.I really don't care what flavor of LC as long as I lose weight.
I have read the p/v books and it made so much sense plus I also followed Jimmy moore's results,so I am convinced this is what I have to do.
I will also be constantly tweaking my diet to achieve results.I still think my problem is too much protein.My carbs are below 20 close to 10.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Haycyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haycyn View Post
Hi. I am new here. I followed low carb back in 2010 and lost 65 pounds of baby wt. I regained it all w the next pregnancy and am still working to get it off. He is 2. I went LC again in Sept and have lost nearly 25 pounds. But the scale stopped 6 wks ago. I have been reading TAASLC, in an effort to convince myself to stay on LC
So, I say all of that to say thanks.
I will begin adjusting my ratios.
I am on vacation/w my husband while he works out of town for two more wks, so I am limited in what I can buy and what I can order. No ketone meter for me until home :/.

I do have a question. I have been wanting to give up coffee as it messes w my mood, energy, and hunger. Any thoughts? I drink anywhere from 4-10 cups (5 oz) a day. I quit for 4 days and started back in a simple comparative test Nd I was defiantly in less pain, anxiety/moody, and less hungry. Incidentally or perhaps not, I cheated on my diet. It had been coming, lots of cookies here and I had nibbled a bit here and there until I just fell off the edge.
Anyone have any insight to this?
I am a coffee addict, I would be of no help here.

Quote:
Anyone want to help me figure my numbers. 147-149 pounds. 5'5. No idea LBM, maybe 120 #. I eat less than 20 carbs now, HF, HP- fat and protein are about 50/50 at usually 100-110g each.
I think you LBM may be lower than you think, at your current weight 120 pounds is ~20% BF and at your goal it would be ~11% BF. So either your goal weight is too low, or your current BF% is higher than your estimate.

Based on your goal weight of 135 and a goal of 20% BF (I'm making this up, if it's different let me know and I'll help with the calculation) then your LBM would be 108 lbs and the Performance book would give you a range of 65-108 grams of protein at goal weight.

Some people find that they need to stick to the bottom of the protein range to get into ketosis, while others have more leeway. Once you get the meter you can more accurately pinpoint your protein and carb boundaries.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Hi everyone!
So… I haven’t been around for a while bc first I had one of these cough/cold/flu thing that didn’t quit… I stayed on NK throughout and then it was the holidays. One evening I was logging in my food and I thought: hey- I’ve been doing NK carefully for almost 10 weeks and have more or less lost nothing to speak of. I had some days where I was 7 lbs down but then I bounced. I was really frustrated bc aside from meticulously logging my food and choking down CO, salt and fiddling with bone broth and not having great results I also shelled out a lump of $ when you add up the costs of the 2 books, the test strips, all that CO I would not normally have bought, the supplements, the subscription to an online tracker etc.. And it feels like it turned out to be yet another diet that didn’t work…

So I guess don’t have to tell y’all what happened next being as it was the holidays and all….

So now I gained a few pounds. Help I’m so frustrated. I had been doing NK for 10 weeks but before that I was strictly low carb forever. I CANNOT lose weight. I am however quite good at gaining. LC is worthwhile bc I can maintain on it but that’s it….

I’m thinking that since NK didn’t help me lose I should just LC as before and at least not have to eat the CO which is costly and doesn’t taste great. Or should I try and NK again and try to change up my macros a bit??!! This is a very long stall and I’m so tired of being fat. ….
Sorry to post something that is non-encouraging
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
tablis.

You are not alone. There are a few here in the same boat. You say you are tracking, what do your numbers look like? What are your stats? What do the strips say?

Let us try to help before you give up.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

tablis. Thanks for the update and for checking in. You must be so frustrated.

Like drjlocarb said, let us know what you're doing (as much detailed info as possible) and we'll try to help.

Also, have you had any medical tests done (thyroid, hormones, etc.) or are you on any medication?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

My ketones are still low at .2, weight up almost another pound to 148.4. Not that it's unexpected.

I had kettelebell class last night after the break and I hoped that it would help get my ketones moving back up, but nothing so far.

How is everyone else doing this 3rd day into the new year?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I'm still doing good I lost 7 lbs in 6 days!So another new low 158.6
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #48
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Tablis, I am one of those that have been stalled out for a very long time. I agree with drjlo, that we may be able to help. You already have invested a lot in the way of effort and 'supplies' - it would make sense to continue for a bit more.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I'm still doing good I lost 7 lbs in 6 days!So another new low 158.6
Congratulations Becky!! It sounds like you're on a roll! What is it that you're doing that's working so well?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Just meat and eggs.i eat two meals aday add co butter hwc.i eat 1200 cals the more eggs I eat the more I lose..I start my day off with water getting organs to move..then I have coffee with co,hwc,stevia liq...then couple hours later 2 eggs in tbs butter that hold me till around 4-5 then I eat my meat and eggs I did notice the more beef I eat is better i lose 1lb when I eat chicken it's .6 don't no why this is!!!im staying on this gor 30 days..then ill add a salad back in!! I'm rely not a veggie or fruit person so that's why I could live on this for ever ..I guess ever once in a while a salad is nice..
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Location: I am always mobile. iPad/iPhone and fat fingers. I promise I didn't let my 3 yo type my post :)!
Gallery: Haycyn
Stats: 172/147/122
WOE: VLC/LC 172-150, juddd 150-144/122
Start Date: 09/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
tablis. Thanks for the update and for checking in. You must be so frustrated.

Like drjlocarb said, let us know what you're doing (as much detailed info as possible) and we'll try to help.

Also, have you had any medical tests done (thyroid, hormones, etc.) or are you on any medication?

I am new here. But not new to stalling . I went to the doctor bc of it. They did the testing for thyroid and etc, but when they checked my BP it was elevated. I was having a reaction to Mirena. I went LC after I had it out, so I really don't know if it was the Mirena w the wt loss or the LC. There is talk in Internet land of Cortisol levels and lack of sleep stalling people. And as always, lack of exercise.

---------

I was eating approx 125f 125p and 7c. I have been eating a can of salmon 3x/w. 3 eggs, 3 strips bacon, and 2 sausages breakfast. If not salmon at lunch an egg or two. And supper is a few hburger patties or equivalent. Hey I was low carb . I had no idea. I love salad and I hope I can fit that in here.

I am still on the coffee for now. Surprisingly good w one tblspoon CO.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Strips will be arriving on Monday. Testing will resume Tuesday.
Scale has shown 202 the last two days. That would be down another pound since New Year's. Looks like I have officially gotten past the 205 set point.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #53
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Okay, I have finally cracked open my cob webbed wallet and purchased a ketone meter and strips. I will hopefully pick them up this afternoon - provided the back-ordered strips are in. No more guessing!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Tablis, I'm glad you spoke up.

Even though not everyone posts, lots of people will learn something from your efforts and hopefully you'll be able to lose again in the process!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Okay, I have finally cracked open my cob webbed wallet and purchased a ketone meter and strips. I will hopefully pick them up this afternoon - provided the back-ordered strips are in. No more guessing!!
where did you get these, clackley?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all...looks like lots of us are "stuck" or even gaining a bit. Tablis, you are in good company for sure!!!

I finally tested this morning after a couple weeks of frustration and got a .1 which didn't really surprise me. Of the 4# I gained in 2 days (Christmas eve/Christmas), I've gotten 2# back off.....gained it quickly, and lose it slowly, but at least it's going away. I'm still 2# up from when I started in late August.

Becky, you are doing great with the loss, and I'm glad you are so comfy with how you are eating.

I'm not comfy with all the fat as it makes me feel poorly, so I've backed down to 75% after 65% felt worse than 80%. I haven't found my sweet spot at all. Still struggling, but hanging in there!

Cathy, can't wait to hear your first test result on the meter....remember to do it first thing in the AM and not waste a strip by testing in the PM for "true accuracy".
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Got my meter and strips today! I've been a little derailed since before Christmas. Was eating way to much fat and protein and gained a few pounds. Some of it has come off, but still need to take a little extra insulin.

I'm going to wait until next week to start testing. I did fairly well yesterday and so far today. If I can get my blood sugar under good control and cut out the extra insulin, I'll feel better about testing.

Good luck Cathy, with your testing. Hoping for the very best for you - you have been stalled for a very long time.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Woah its been a crazy day... no chance of replying properly now. Thanks for all the responses I will post my food tomorrow and will be very grateful for the input! Thank you!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SFGirl99
Happy New Year everyone. I have been lurking for some time (going back to the November thread). First, I would like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences - it has been immensely helpful!. Second, I recall that from time to time people have posted questions about what impact, if any, TOM has on ketosis or ketone production. Peter Attia posted something about that in the comments section on his blog on January 2, 2013. A reader (Risa) indicated that she seems to slip easily in and out of ketosis during TOM even though she is consistently low carb and moderate protein. Attia passed her question on to Dr. Phinney and Dr. Volek. Attia posted Phinney's response in the comments section. It is too long to quote, but essentially, he says that there are no peer reviewed studies addressing this question. He said, however, that they were able to keep many young adult women consistently in NK in metabolic wards as long as they maintained carbs at under 30 grams and protein under 100 grams. He also noted that they tested thousands of women weekly in outpatient low carb clinics and they did not see a connection between "low ketones and late luteal phase." He did say that they observed women who had marginal ketones appeared to be "more susceptible to pre-menstrual cravings (which of course nuked their ketones)."
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
todays readings

from tomorrow I am only doing the evening BK test as its too expensive twice a day...

morning
BK 0.3
BS 4.7 fasting

40 mins moderate cardio

evening
BK 0.8
BS 6.1

thats me today, my partner and I are looking for a holiday in india or similar, I was thinking, how the hell do i do this diet for 2 weeks in india or where ever? I cant take a kilo of CO, can I?
Closed Thread