Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Lindsay....I bought 3 BPA free bottles with lids (your plastic water bottles are no doubt NOT BPA free, so I would find something else for your water). My 3 total 12 cups and I fill them up....well, that's a lie...my wonderful husband fills them up for me every night so they are full in the morning.

Another rule of thumb about coffee...it's a dehydrating drink and they say that for every cup of coffee you drink, you need to have a cup of water to offset it to "zero" cups of water. So, if you are drinking 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, you need 3-4 cups of water to count as "zero" water for the day. That is why I switched to herbal teas! I get to count them as water!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Hey Guys!!! It has been a couple of weeks since I have been on here- I have missed reading your posts, but I was a bit preoccupied and needed to take some time off. I wanted to give you guys an update on my health issues and was hoping for some positive feedback/support. It turns out that I do have some legitimate issues to address (thank G-d it's not all in my head!!).

So, my T3 levels are low, so I will be taking T3 to get those up. Stress levels are high (but not too bad), my testosterone is low, my Adrenals are out of whack. My B12 levels are really low as well as D. It turns out I had mono- but not sure when. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia (sp?). Anywho- she has me starting on some pretty supplements and i'll be taking B12 shots weekly for a month and then tapering off. Yay! finally- answers to my crappy feelings! Let's hope things start to turn around.

Now, i'll go back and read the posts and catch up with all of ya'll.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Hey Guys!!! It has been a couple of weeks since I have been on here- I have missed reading your posts, but I was a bit preoccupied and needed to take some time off. I wanted to give you guys an update on my health issues and was hoping for some positive feedback/support. It turns out that I do have some legitimate issues to address (thank G-d it's not all in my head!!).

So, my T3 levels are low, so I will be taking T3 to get those up. Stress levels are high (but not too bad), my testosterone is low, my Adrenals are out of whack. My B12 levels are really low as well as D. It turns out I had mono- but not sure when. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia (sp?). Anywho- she has me starting on some pretty supplements and i'll be taking B12 shots weekly for a month and then tapering off. Yay! finally- answers to my crappy feelings! Let's hope things start to turn around.

So glad to hear you got to the bottom of everything!! Best of luck with getting back into ketosis!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #544
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:

Sophia, so glad to hear you have all that wrong with you

I am JUST JOKING, hope you know me well enough to realize that. But, I know what you mean to finally find out what is wrong when you knew something was but couldn't get to the bottom or this. Those things will not be easy or quick to treat but hopefully you got someone who knows how to do so and can help you to become well.

to you and wellness!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #545
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I hate when work is busy and gets in the way of reading and posting. I'm trying desperately to catch up!

Buffy--it's great to see you back on the thread. I hope that means that you're feeling better!

Sophie--Thanks so much for checking in, I've been thinking about you and wondering what was happening. I'm glad that your new doctor is getting to the bottom of what's going on with you. It sounds like a lot to deal with, but at least you know that you're making progress towards feeling better.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

Lindsay--those jeans will fit again!!

RE: Water. I used to drink tons of water but I stopped a few years ago when I was getting up all night to pee. Now I drink to thirst and don't worry much about it. It hasn't seemed to make a difference except that I get more sleep, YMMV.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #547
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank Kristn, I do feel better today because my BP has been down in the normal range now for over 24 hours, due to the boatload of meds I am on. But, out of danger range. But, still don't know why this happened so go back Friday and I assume we will schedule some more tests or he will tell me what is next. I surely hope I don't have to stay on this level of meds forever.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Sophie...so good to hear from you!!! Sorry that you have all that going on, but the good news is that most of it is endocrine related and go hand in hand for many of us. You may find that you don't have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia...hope you don't.....as the thyroid and adrenals often "mimic" the other stuff. The B12, D3 and T3 (did she Rx T3 or something with T3 in it???) will really make you feel like you again. The adrenals take a long time to heal (from personal experience) and need to be addressed first so that the other things can all fall into place. Sounds like you found someone that is on top of everything...that's 99% of the battle, so LUCKY lucky you!!!!! Keep us posted!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Thanks for the replies everyone- I really appreciate it! obviously, I'm still maintaining low carb- just not VLC as I was experiencing a lot of digestive distress and was gaining w/eating higher fat and VLC- so I will maintain w/protein levels that feel right for me, as well as fat/carb. It is frustrating, as I enjoyed eating HF/LC, but I don't think my body is ready to eat that way currently. I am gonna focus on eliminating the High FODMAP foods as well, so we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Sophie...so good to hear from you!!! Sorry that you have all that going on, but the good news is that most of it is endocrine related and go hand in hand for many of us. You may find that you don't have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia...hope you don't.....as the thyroid and adrenals often "mimic" the other stuff. The B12, D3 and T3 (did she Rx T3 or something with T3 in it???) will really make you feel like you again. The adrenals take a long time to heal (from personal experience) and need to be addressed first so that the other things can all fall into place. Sounds like you found someone that is on top of everything...that's 99% of the battle, so LUCKY lucky you!!!!! Keep us posted!
She prescribed cytomel for me. So, although it is synthetic (right?), she felt it made the most sense b/c Armor (sp?) has both T3 and T4- and I don't need the T4 and she felt it could block the T3 absorption- or something like that.

I hope you are right w/the fibromyalgia and CF- man, I was kinda expecting the CF, but the fibromyalgia just threw me- although it does make sense once I started reading up on it. It's just kind of daunting- but hey, at least I have a legitimate reason to continue w/my monthly massages

In any case, I 'm glad to finally have answers!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
im a bit out of sync with this forum lately, im looking to buy a new cross trainer and always researching the upcoming new drug treatments for hepatitis c so left with minimal time for this website at present, but that will all change once i clear the virus from my body

blood ketones this morning (fasting) were 1.8

highest since i began in Aug 12, and I had a takeaway king prawn madras last night, i have tested from them before and been fine with blood sugar/ketones, obviously the free popodum went to my partner

macros yesterday were 206g fat, carbs 8g, pro 65g, total 2188 kcal (and 2 raw home chocs)

weight 67.2 kg (maintaintence)
height 170cm
body fat 13.2%
even though my chronic pain is always there (above right hip, under investigation, again), i feel good, no brain fog, lots of energy, did yoga this morning, loving this NK
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Down another pound. BK readings staying pretty consistent.
I hit higher in my protein range than normal yesterday.
My target range is 90-150g. Normally, I eat around 100-110g.
Yetsterday was in the 130s. Nice to know there's some wiggle room there.

Weight: 201 --> 199 --> 198 --> 198 --> 197
BK: 2.1 --> 2.8 --> 3.2 --> 2.8 --> 2.6
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Stats starting 1/2/13:
Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4 -> 146.4 -> 146.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 147.6 -> 147.4

AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> 1.7 -> 1.2 -> 1.5 -> 1.1 -> 1.4

Buffy--I'm so glad to hear that the meds you're on are helping. I also hope that you don't have to stay on this level forever!

BigRunner--Congrats on the loss!!

Luigi--I'm glad that your ketones are good and you're feeling well. Hopefully your chronic pain can be resolved.

Sophie--I hope that Shelley is correct about the fibro and CF. I have heard on other Thyroid sites that these things resolve with correction of adrenals and thyroid. I'm so glad that you have a good doctor to work with! Can I ask how far your doctor is from NYC? I have a sister who needs a really good doctor and I'd love to be able to give her a recommendation. She lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan. PM me if you think that it's not too far to travel.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Shorter post today to make up for my excessively wordy update yesterday.

Weight the same at 145 (still the old analog scale), ketones went up slightly to 2.8. I've now had two consecutive rest days, although I didn't intend to yesterday (work was insane). Hope I manage to squeeze in some kind of workout today, because I know there will be no time tomorrow either. As for food intake yesterday, my fat was lower than usual at 117g (hooray), protein 60g, carbs 22g. I like those numbers and will be striving to stick to something like that every day, although it would be okay if the protein was a smidgen higher and the carbs lower. I was not able to finish my omelet last night at the restaurant, so I'm glad my appetite seemed to be reduced (hope that sticks around, too).

I am happy to report I had about 105oz of water yesterday simply by acknowledging I needed to be drinking more. It wasn't hard at all. I didn't notice having to go to the bathroom more often, and I slept through the night like a baby. It probably helped that I didn't drink much water during the couple of hours before bed.

And Buffy, I've been meaning to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you!! I hope you are able to get off all those meds soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #554
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
I'm happy to report that I lost the 4 pounds that I gained last week so I am back to 206 pounds. I was going to wait until tomorrow to weigh in, but I felt smaller so I figured I would. I have been walking for about 20 minutes on my lunch break. I do believe that next week, I will start doing more with lifting weights.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I'm happy to report that I lost the 4 pounds that I gained last week ...
Woohoo! Glad it's starting to work for you.

My morning check-in: I had dental stuff yesterday and mostly ate a liquid diet, but my macros were 81.3/12/6.7 at 1850 calories (higher cals than I had been eating all week), and my fasting ketones this morning were 1.9. Woo. I'm down to 185, which is progress, altho a bit slower than I 'd like. After looking at that I'm going to focus on trying to keep my fat % in the upper 70s to 80s. I keep getting tripped up by the calorie thing...there's a part of my brain that will not accept the idea that I can lose weight eating 1800 cals/day because that didn't work on the HC/LF diet I did in the past. Gotta find some way to trick my brain.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #556
Big Yapper!!!!

Quick drive by of a check in.
Glad to read about the successes on here this morning, weight down, ketones up, water up, good, good, good.

All about the same with me. My oldest DD is coming to visit for 4 days, I am so happy, haven't seen her since July.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Woohoo! Glad it's starting to work for you.

My morning check-in: I had dental stuff yesterday and mostly ate a liquid diet, but my macros were 81.3/12/6.7 at 1850 calories (higher cals than I had been eating all week), and my fasting ketones this morning were 1.9. Woo. I'm down to 185, which is progress, altho a bit slower than I 'd like. After looking at that I'm going to focus on trying to keep my fat % in the upper 70s to 80s. I keep getting tripped up by the calorie thing...there's a part of my brain that will not accept the idea that I can lose weight eating 1800 cals/day because that didn't work on the HC/LF diet I did in the past. Gotta find some way to trick my brain.
Congrats! any progress is good! Glad to see all the good news out there!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Weight: 180.4 -> 182 -> 181.8 -> 180.6 - 179.6 -> 181.2 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 1.6 -> 0.8 -> 0.5 -> 1.7 -> 0.7 -> 1.1 -> 0.9

Day 11 of nutritional ketosis!

Weight is bouncing around the 180 mark. Went a little overboard last nite at dinner... ate a little over 3000 calories! Given my activity according to the ketocalculator, I think I shouldn't eat more than 2700, with a goal of 2000-2200 (which I've hit for the past week or so).

Oh well, at least my macros for yesterday were good and I'm still in ketosis this morning.

Who knew how many calories pork belly could be?? Again, one of the big benefits of food logging. I'm learning more about what things are composed of and what things I should avoid or eat in moderation. Pork belly is now one of them.

Last edited by bjjcaveman; 01-17-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Shorter post today to make up for my excessively wordy update yesterday.

Weight the same at 145 (still the old analog scale), ketones went up slightly to 2.8. I've now had two consecutive rest days, although I didn't intend to yesterday (work was insane). Hope I manage to squeeze in some kind of workout today, because I know there will be no time tomorrow either. As for food intake yesterday, my fat was lower than usual at 117g (hooray), protein 60g, carbs 22g. I like those numbers and will be striving to stick to something like that every day, although it would be okay if the protein was a smidgen higher and the carbs lower. I was not able to finish my omelet last night at the restaurant, so I'm glad my appetite seemed to be reduced (hope that sticks around, too).

I am happy to report I had about 105oz of water yesterday simply by acknowledging I needed to be drinking more. It wasn't hard at all. I didn't notice having to go to the bathroom more often, and I slept through the night like a baby. It probably helped that I didn't drink much water during the couple of hours before bed.

And Buffy, I've been meaning to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you!! I hope you are able to get off all those meds soon.
for appetite reduction and water drinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I'm happy to report that I lost the 4 pounds that I gained last week so I am back to 206 pounds. I was going to wait until tomorrow to weigh in, but I felt smaller so I figured I would. I have been walking for about 20 minutes on my lunch break. I do believe that next week, I will start doing more with lifting weights.
Woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post

Congrats on your loss and great ketones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Quick drive by of a check in.
Glad to read about the successes on here this morning, weight down, ketones up, water up, good, good, good.

All about the same with me. My oldest DD is coming to visit for 4 days, I am so happy, haven't seen her since July.
How nice that your daughter is coming to visit! How are you feeling today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Weight: 180.4 -> 182 -> 181.8 -> 180.6 - 179.6 -> 181.2 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 1.6 -> 0.8 -> 0.5 -> 1.7 -> 0.7 -> 1.1 -> 0.9

Day 11 of nutritional ketosis!

Weight is bouncing around the 180 mark. Went a little overboard last nite at dinner... ate a little over 3000 calories! Given my activity according to the ketocalculator, I think I shouldn't eat more than 2700, with a goal of 2000-2200 (which I've hit for the past week or so).

Oh well, at least my macros for yesterday were good and I'm still in ketosis this morning.

Who knew how many calories pork belly could be?? Again, one of the big benefits of food logging. I'm learning more about what things are composed of and what things I should avoid or eat in moderation. Pork belly is now one of them.
I hear you on the bouncing weight! I can't seem to get my calories down lower than maintenance right now.

I love pork belly but usually only eat it in restaurants which helps with portion control. Anything with that much fat is going to be high in total calories. But in controlled portions it's a great NK food.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #560
Big Yapper!!!!

Quick check in, back in the hospital. I passed out today. Hope they really get to the bottom of this now.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quick check in, back in the hospital. I passed out today. Hope they really get to the bottom of this now.
Oh no. Please please take care.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #562
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh Buffy! Please keep us updated! I am thinking about you and hoping that they figure this out soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #563
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dearest Buffy....you are so sweet to keep us updated...you know that you are "family" to us, so I really appreciate the updates. I sure hope they find out what is going on with you.....keeping you in my thoughts/prayers for sure!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Buffy hope all goes well for you! Hope the find your problem soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Buffy, I'm praying for you, too. I really hate to ask this...but there's no chance that the nutritional ketosis is somehow triggering it, is there? :/
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Buffy keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope they figure all this out very quickly!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #567
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
thinking of you Buffy and sending you good healing vibes.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Stats starting 1/2/13:
Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4 -> 146.4 -> 146.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 147.6 -> 147.4 -> 146.6

AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> 1.7 -> 1.2 -> 1.5 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> .7

Ketones are down a bit today. My carbs were up slightly yesterday but I'm not sure if that's the cause or it's a normal fluctuation.

I expect a busy day today but then a three-day weekend! Work has been pretty stressful so I'm grateful for an extra day off.

Buffy--if you get a chance please let us know how you're doing today.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #569
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good morning!! I am still in the zone. Ketones = 2.9 and b.g. = 5.1 (92). Weight went up a couple of lbs. immediately following my beginning synthroid but has now returned to what it was.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #570
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kim129
Hi,

I have been following your threads for about 6 weeks now. I've learned a lot here! Thank you ;0) I received my Nova Max Plus and am doing my first test right now. Can someone please tell me what my sugar reading should be. Also am I correct that my Ketone should be .5 to 1.5?

Thank you,

Kim
Closed Thread