Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Down another pound to 198.

Weight: 201 --> 199 --> 198
BK: 2.1 --> 2.8 --> 3.2

Not sure if the weight moving again is due to the ever higher ketones or a side effect of calmer digestion from the probiotics. Either way, I'll take it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #452
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post

Not sure if the weight moving again is due to the ever higher ketones or a side effect of calmer digestion from the probiotics. Either way, I'll take it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Weight: 184 -> 182.8 -> 183.2 -> 182.8 -> 182.4 -> 180.6 -> 180.4 -> 182 -> 181.8
AM Ketones: 0.3 -> 0.4 -> 0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.6 -> 1.1 -> 1.6 -> 0.8 -> 0.5

Ate out the whole day yesterday. Again I did my best, but have no clue what they put into the meals!

Only one of the three restaurants had their nutrition information online... So my macro estimate is probably way off!
Yeah, restaurant eating is tough! It seems pretty easy to eat high protein/LC, but NK eating is much trickier. LOL, keeping up with my reputation as an expensive date, I recommend foie gras, duck confit, or pork belly as good NK options when eating out.

Quote:

Congrats BigRunner! I'm glad to hear that your digestion is improving with the probiotics.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #454
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Fabulous!!! You are doing great!! I never miss my probiotics, so I'm glad you have discovered them and like them!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Shelley--are you still following the diet that your trainer put you on?
Nope...did it for 10 days and gained 3# and felt horrible....she raised my protein to 100g/day and wanted me taking psyllium to make 15 g of fiber. I was a mess!

I also stopped doing her training sessions as I was unable to walk, sit, and once was on the floor and could not stand up for the longest time...knees were like knives in them and rotator cuff was killing me. I've been working out in some form or another my entire life and have never been in pain like that (even when tearing ligaments and tendons with dance performances). So, I stopped everything. I haven't been to the gym since Dec. 28th....so Missy Lindsay (said with a smile and love), I have lost 1# by doing absolutely nothing in the way of exercise! I see you have cut back and I'm so proud of you!!!!! 3 days a week is great...but more? It just wears the body out and doesn't really help the weightloss for us.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Good morning everyone!

This is day 6 of ketones over .5.

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4 -> 146.4 -> 146.2
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> 1.7

I've been looking back at my spreadsheet and I really think that keeping my protein right at the bottom (or even slightly lower) of my range as defined by the Performance book is the key to keeping myself in ketosis. I don't have any problem keeping my carbs low, but getting the right protein amount is hard! I don't want to go too low and lose LBM, but I really can't push it much higher without dropping out of ketosis.

How is everyone else doing?
could you refresh what that formula is from the book? thank you, kristen. and what if one isn't in this for performance, would this formula be the same?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Nope...did it for 10 days and gained 3# and felt horrible....she raised my protein to 100g/day and wanted me taking psyllium to make 15 g of fiber. I was a mess!
I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. I can't take fiber supplements at all, they make me feel bloated and terrible and backed up.

Quote:
I also stopped doing her training sessions as I was unable to walk, sit, and once was on the floor and could not stand up for the longest time...knees were like knives in them and rotator cuff was killing me. I've been working out in some form or another my entire life and have never been in pain like that (even when tearing ligaments and tendons with dance performances). So, I stopped everything.
That sounds terrible. Taking a break seems smart. Perhaps you should start up slowly and carefully (when you're ready).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
could you refresh what that formula is from the book? thank you, kristen. and what if one isn't in this for performance, would this formula be the same?
Dazygyrl--the Performance book is really worth a read for anyone who's trying to figure out NK. It's not just for performance! It is really where Phinney and Volek get to the nitty gritty of using a meter to figure out macros to keep yourself in a state of ketosis.

The formula that they use in the book is .6-1 times your lean body mass. This requires knowing (or guessing) your BF%. When we were first figuring this out in July, Rebecca suggested that we should be using our goal lean body mass rather than current. The thinking behind this is that we should be feeding our goals, not necessarily where we are right now. Some larger people will lose LBM to get to goal and some people will need to gain LBM to get to goal. Because of this, protein based on goal LBM made sense.

Here's the Performance formula:

Goal weight * (1-Goal BF%) = Goal LBM
Goal LBM * .6 = bottom of the protein range

For someone with a goal of 145 @ 20%BF:
145*(1-.2)=116 (LBM)
116*.6=70
Protein range= 70-116

When we first started we also looked at Dr. Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet method for figuring out protein (it does not require knowing LBM):

Height in centimeters-100=optimal weight in KG
Optimal weight in KG +/-10%=grams of protein/day

For someone 5'5.5":
Height in centimeters=166
Less 100=66
Optimal weight in KG=66
66KG=145 LB
Protein range = 60-72

(I rounded the numbers in all of these equations)

After doing this for 6 months I find the Kwasniewski equation interesting for several reasons:
1. My original goal at 5'5.5" was 150, but I do find that I like myself and feel better at 145.
2. I get better ketone readings with my protein at 60 than 70 and when I start going higher than 70 it's very easy for me to pop out of ketosis.

I hope that helps! Getting the protein right is the trickiest part of NK. There are lots of opinions and conflicting formulas. It's really important to figure out what works for you. This is where the meter can be a huge help!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
thanks so much for your explanation. i appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. admittedly, i have been off the NK path the last couple days. :/ i think i ordered a free meter...filled a form out anyway...will see if arrives or not

all i know is i don't like this floundering around...i have been floundering for a long time and all that has gotten me is 20 lbs. something's gotta give...

sorry for the l'il rant
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:

I also stopped doing her training sessions as I was unable to walk, sit, and once was on the floor and could not stand up for the longest time...knees were like knives in them and rotator cuff was killing me. I've been working out in some form or another my entire life and have never been in pain like that (even when tearing ligaments and tendons with dance performances). So, I stopped everything. I haven't been to the gym since Dec. 28th....so Missy Lindsay (said with a smile and love), I have lost 1# by doing absolutely nothing in the way of exercise! I see you have cut back and I'm so proud of you!!!!! 3 days a week is great...but more? It just wears the body out and doesn't really help the weightloss for us.
Oh no so disappointing
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
I really hope things work out ok... And they will figure out what is going on with your bp.

It seems like people are very interested in the precision xtra system, which is also the one I use. I use a supplier that is much cheaper than 5$ per strip. Since I can't post the link here? Do you think it's be ok for me to post a link on my blog, so you guys can access it?

Don't want to break any rules or anything...
thanks that would be great! hope I can find the link on your blog
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that the whole trainer situation went so badly!! But I guess to look at the positive side, you are now getting rest, which is apparently what your body needed? As always, I really appreciate the advice and concern. I don't think I am going to drop to 3 days a week just yet...I'm going to stick with 4 days a week for a little while and see how that goes. I can already tell a big difference just by taking those extra 2 days off last week!

You know, for some reason this is reminding me of some things I've heard from others (including my mom) that when they stopped doing advanced and/or high impact workouts and started simply walking a few days a week, they either broke a weight loss plateau or just generally felt better overall. This is in the context of a community of people that always use workout DVDs at home (like me), so they swear by Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs. And then my mom was never a workout DVD person, but I got her some Leslie Sansone a while back and she has become a big fan. She's 56 and has weighed anywhere between 10 and 25 pounds less than me all my adult life (but we share the same height and frame). But, she also eats like a bird (?!). Anyway, I digress.

-----

Today's update...

Weight: 144.4 --> 143.2 --> 143.2 --> 144.4 --> 143.0 --> 143.0 --> 143.0 --> 144.0

Ketones: 1.2 --> 1.9 --> 1.6 --> 1.2 --> 1.1 --> 1.2 --> 2.7 --> 2.6

Sad to say that today my scale registered something higher than 143.0 every time I got on, although once it was just 143.2. But since I got 144.0 several times, that's what I'm gonna log. I'm also still pretty sore from Saturday's leg workout, but I tend to always use that as an excuse.

I am going to look into Academy's return policy...don't think I have the receipt anymore, but I believe I have the original box somewhere.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

This is day 7 of ketones over .5.

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4 -> 146.4 -> 146.2 -> 147
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> 1.7 -> 1.2

I'm thinking about taking a break from ketone testing, or going to every other day or even every week. I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do to get good ketones (keep protein in line).

Yesterday I got really hungry in the middle of the day. I believe it was a cortisol spike from watching the football game. I ate a lot of cheese and some sliced ham. So not terrible, but I'm sure that I wasn't in an energy deficit. I was so full that I didn't eat dinner which helped keep my total protein for the day within range.

I'm a bit bummed that I'm not at 145, but I'm also not quite mentally ready to lower my fat to get the weight moving downward. I'm just happy that I'm in ketosis.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Slow but steady wins the race

This is my day 3 of tracking ketones, and I had a reading of 0.8...trending upward. My scale is still going up and down within 1 lb., but I'm waiting for the whoosh. On the good side, I went shopping yesterday and found I'm down a size, which for me is a better measurement than any scale.

Quote:
she raised my protein to 100g/day and wanted me taking psyllium to make 15 g of fiber. I was a mess!
I can imagine! I use psyllium occasionally to make a low-carb pudding, but never more than 1/2 TB at a time - much more and there are "undesirable side-effects." Glad you're recovering.

Kristn, thanks for going over the protein calculations again. I've also found that keeping protein on the low side makes all the difference in fat burning. It is hard to do on the road, tho.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

Lindsay--I'm sure they'll let you exchange it for a different scale. Especially if it's defective!

MerryKate-- Congrats on moving down a size! And woo hoo for ketones moving up!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Yay to Lindsay for dropping 2 days of exercise and giving her sweet body a chance to rest! And, I can't "harp" on all the exercise as I did the same thing when I was younger. Actually though my 50's. I've gotten wiser as I've gotten "older". ha ha

Merry Kate...that is fabulous that you are down a pants size. Woo hoo to you!!!!

Buffy...how did the doc appt. go? Any news. We all want you to be well and happy again.

Re: me. My morning weight was up .2 (not a big deal), and the sad part was that lowering protein and raising fat gave my ketones a jump...in the wrong direction. From .3 to .1 this morning. Phooey. I just a very uncooperative body. The Skaldeman book is on it's way to me and maybe there will be something in there to help. I'm hanging in there, but at 4.5 months, I'm still higher in weight and inches than when I started and that is frustrating. (2# up and 1 size pants up) I promised to give it 6 months and I will, but I know I can lose inches and weight easily on lowfat and about the same calories. I'm happy for everyone that is doing so well, but still is hard to not see any results in the right direction. Myles!!! Where are you....you were having the same issues I've been having.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #466
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:
Good morning everyone!

This is day 7 of ketones over .5.

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4 -> 146.4 -> 146.2 -> 147
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1 -> 1.4 -> 1.7 -> 1.2

I'm thinking about taking a break from ketone testing, or going to every other day or even every week. I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do to get good ketones (keep protein in line).

Yesterday I got really hungry in the middle of the day. I believe it was a cortisol spike from watching the football game. I ate a lot of cheese and some sliced ham. So not terrible, but I'm sure that I wasn't in an energy deficit. I was so full that I didn't eat dinner which helped keep my total protein for the day within range.

I'm a bit bummed that I'm not at 145, but I'm also not quite mentally ready to lower my fat to get the weight moving downward. I'm just happy that I'm in ketosis.
Have you noticed any change in your clothes / body measurements? Maybe you're doing some great body recomposition while staying at the same weight?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
This is my day 3 of tracking ketones, and I had a reading of 0.8...trending upward. My scale is still going up and down within 1 lb., but I'm waiting for the whoosh. On the good side, I went shopping yesterday and found I'm down a size, which for me is a better measurement than any scale.

I can imagine! I use psyllium occasionally to make a low-carb pudding, but never more than 1/2 TB at a time - much more and there are "undesirable side-effects." Glad you're recovering.

Kristn, thanks for going over the protein calculations again. I've also found that keeping protein on the low side makes all the difference in fat burning. It is hard to do on the road, tho.
Dropping clothing size is fantastic!!! that's more telling for fat loss than changes in the scale! keep it up!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #468
Senior LCF Member

Weight: 180.6 -> 180.4 -> 182 -> 181.8 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 1.1 -> 1.6 -> 0.8 -> 0.5 -> 1.7

Finally! pre-Chinese food weight. Had a lot of fun playing basketball last night. It was 2 straight hours of sprinting back and forth, jumping, and shooting. It probably burned through whatever glycogen I had left and helped push my ketones up past 1.0.

Hopefully I can resume the ketone climb and see numbers North of 2.0!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #469
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
Frustrating! Two things have helped me keep the weightloss going while in NK: 1) track calories as well as carbs and protein (when I keep them less than 1700 I'm most successful) 2) drink 64 oz of water each day. I was eating more than I thought I was and retaining a lot of fluids. Oh, and the other thing: I became seriously committed and didn't waver - tracking is the key to keeping me accountable for micronutrient levels. Once you are into NK you will know it (I don't measure blood) - it took me about 3 weeks if I remember right - at that point I was able to roll back calories until I was losing weekly 1.5 - 2 lbs which is where I want to be.

This is what my macros on average fall into : 1565 cals 22g carbs 133g fat and 71g protein. When my friend figured out where I should be eating, she came up with 1636 cals, 136g fat, no more than 34g carbs and 61-72g protein. A lot of days, I am barely making it to 60g protein. The highest day I've had on fat since starting this was 151g. My weight is 210 and I am 5'5 and large boned (wrists are 7.75" around). I do drink between 72-100oz of water a day. I do also drink about 10oz coffee and 20oz of tea a day. I can't afford a meter right now so I am not going to test ketones. How do you know when you are in the zone other than dropping weight?

@Phillip, I hope you like the dressing. My kids, who love ranch prefer this over any store bought dressing you can find.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Re: me. My morning weight was up .2 (not a big deal), and the sad part was that lowering protein and raising fat gave my ketones a jump...in the wrong direction. From .3 to .1 this morning. Phooey. I just a very uncooperative body. The Skaldeman book is on it's way to me and maybe there will be something in there to help. I'm hanging in there, but at 4.5 months, I'm still higher in weight and inches than when I started and that is frustrating. (2# up and 1 size pants up) I promised to give it 6 months and I will, but I know I can lose inches and weight easily on lowfat and about the same calories. I'm happy for everyone that is doing so well, but still is hard to not see any results in the right direction. Myles!!! Where are you....you were having the same issues I've been having.
Shelley--How long have you been trying this new lower protein level?

Quote:
Have you noticed any change in your clothes / body measurements? Maybe you're doing some great body recomposition while staying at the same weight?
I haven't been measuring lately, but my clothes fit the same. I wish that just being in ketosis was making me less hungry, but right now I'm dealing with some pretty intense hunger. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm just trying to stay in ketosis and eat until I'm satisfied. We'll see how it all turns out.

Quote:
Weight: 180.6 -> 180.4 -> 182 -> 181.8 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 1.1 -> 1.6 -> 0.8 -> 0.5 -> 1.7

Finally! pre-Chinese food weight. Had a lot of fun playing basketball last night. It was 2 straight hours of sprinting back and forth, jumping, and shooting. It probably burned through whatever glycogen I had left and helped push my ketones up past 1.0.

Hopefully I can resume the ketone climb and see numbers North of 2.0!
Congrats on your weight coming down and ketones going up!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
This is what my macros on average fall into : 1565 cals 22g carbs 133g fat and 71g protein. When my friend figured out where I should be eating, she came up with 1636 cals, 136g fat, no more than 34g carbs and 61-72g protein. A lot of days, I am barely making it to 60g protein. The highest day I've had on fat since starting this was 151g. My weight is 210 and I am 5'5 and large boned (wrists are 7.75" around). I do drink between 72-100oz of water a day. I do also drink about 10oz coffee and 20oz of tea a day. I can't afford a meter right now so I am not going to test ketones. How do you know when you are in the zone other than dropping weight?

@Phillip, I hope you like the dressing. My kids, who love ranch prefer this over any store bought dressing you can find.
Georgette--I think your foods and macros look pretty good. You only started this at the beginning of the month, so I suspect that you're experiencing the LC pause that happens to a lot of people when they start LC. My personal opinion is to stick with your plan and I suspect that you will start to lose again. If you go another 2 weeks without going off-plan and without weight-loss then it might be time to look at some tweaks.

My only other question is did you lose weight previous to this new NK plan or is 210 your highest weight?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #472
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
hi Shelley
I was/am in a similar boat to yours.
what I did was go for a Fat Fast.Then if I can lose,go for a Modified Fat Fast.If I can still lose ,then my thinking is that I increase my fat to protein ratio until I reach my NK macros,and somewhere in that line is my sweet spot.At least in my head,Fat Fast and NK are similar,Fat Fast has 90% fat,1000-1200 cals,very less protein around 30-50 max.,carbs very minimum.
whereas NK can be 65-90% fat,moderate protein-50-120 depending on the calculator you use and 20-50 carbs.
So IMHO Fat Fast is a very restricted form of NK.
If going on a Fat Fast gives you results,then whatever your macros ur doing on NK maybe too high for you,higher carbs,higher protein and higher fat plus calories.
My plan was to slowly increase my macros from the Fat fast and see where I stop losing anymore/not being in ketosis.
Surprisingly its not that much.Even when I slightly increase protein from more than 50 I stall.So far its working for me,but I am still in the middle of the experiment so no info until I really get some substantial results.This is bcoz I just started only few days ago after holidays.
Other reasons:thyroid issues,medications,any hormone therapy,already at goal weight,etc?
Hope you find out whats wrong soon.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #473
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Georgette--I think your foods and macros look pretty good. You only started this at the beginning of the month, so I suspect that you're experiencing the LC pause that happens to a lot of people when they start LC. My personal opinion is to stick with your plan and I suspect that you will start to lose again. If you go another 2 weeks without going off-plan and without weight-loss then it might be time to look at some tweaks.

My only other question is did you lose weight previous to this new NK plan or is 210 your highest weight?
I did go slightly off plan yesterday with a small piece of cake at a bridal show I went to with a few friends. Felt like hell when the crash hit.

I was as heavy as 270 back in 2006 and between then and 2007, I dropped to 203 and when my mom died in March of 2007, I got up to 220. Between a ton of stressors, it's been difficult for me to lose and I am focused on it now. I've always been a bigger woman, even when younger. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I did go slightly off plan yesterday with a small piece of cake at a bridal show I went to with a few friends. Felt like hell when the crash hit.

I was as heavy as 270 back in 2006 and between then and 2007, I dropped to 203 and when my mom died in March of 2007, I got up to 220. Between a ton of stressors, it's been difficult for me to lose and I am focused on it now. I've always been a bigger woman, even when younger. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007
The thing with this WOE is that even eating that small piece of cake can set you back a few days to a week. Get a clean two weeks under your belt and I'm sure things will start moving in the right direction.

I also think it's good to keep in mind that you are living in a weight-reduced state. Those of us living in this state are not the same metabolically as people who have never been overweight and it may be that we need to take different steps than people who have never lost weight before.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #475
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
The thing with this WOE is that even eating that small piece of cake can set you back a few days to a week. Get a clean two weeks under your belt and I'm sure things will start moving in the right direction.

I also think it's good to keep in mind that you are living in a weight-reduced state. Those of us living in this state are not the same metabolically as people who have never been overweight and it may be that we need to take different steps than people who have never lost weight before.
Yeah, I'm staying clean right now. I have another bridal show that I'm going to this Sunday so I will just snack on the protein and fats there. May just have fat bombs for breakfast that morning.

What do you mean by weight-reduced? If your talking about a loss, one would think that almost 6 years after the fact of losing and that I am still fat, it would still be easy to lose?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm staying clean right now. I have another bridal show that I'm going to this Sunday so I will just snack on the protein and fats there. May just have fat bombs for breakfast that morning.

What do you mean by weight-reduced? If your talking about a loss, one would think that almost 6 years after the fact of losing and that I am still fat, it would still be easy to lose?
I'm not saying this to discourage you. If you've never done LC before it you will probably find it pretty easy to follow.

Everything that I've read points to the fact that for most people our metabolism changes in a weight-reduced state and there's no evidence that it gets better over time. So even 6 years after maintaining a major weight-loss your metabolism is not the same as someone who started out at your current weight. This is true even if you're still fat.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Everything that I've read points to the fact that for most people our metabolism changes in a weight-reduced state and there's no evidence that it gets better over time. So even 6 years after maintaining a major weight-loss your metabolism is not the same as someone who started out at your current weight. This is true even if you're still fat.
I realize that I'm in kind of a funk today and I didn't write this to be discouraging. I just find that it's easier for me to make WOE choices with this in mind rather than denying it. I wondered for years why I couldn't lose any more weight. Something had fundamentally shifted once I lost weight and the old rules didn't apply any more. Now that I try to take that into consideration I have finally found success.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #478
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I realize that I'm in kind of a funk today and I didn't write this to be discouraging. I just find that it's easier for me to make WOE choices with this in mind rather than denying it. I wondered for years why I couldn't lose any more weight. Something had fundamentally shifted once I lost weight and the old rules didn't apply any more. Now that I try to take that into consideration I have finally found success.
The truth is never discouraging and I'm going to be the first to admit that I am still fat. I've done low carb before and do fairly well on it. I just need to be able to fight through the stress and stick with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #479
Junior LCF Member

Question. If belly fat is starting to flatten out and get "squishy", is this a good sign?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
hi Shelley
I was/am in a similar boat to yours.
what I did was go for a Fat Fast.Then if I can lose,go for a Modified Fat Fast.If I can still lose ,then my thinking is that I increase my fat to protein ratio until I reach my NK macros,and somewhere in that line is my sweet spot.At least in my head,Fat Fast and NK are similar,Fat Fast has 90% fat,1000-1200 cals,very less protein around 30-50 max.,carbs very minimum.
whereas NK can be 65-90% fat,moderate protein-50-120 depending on the calculator you use and 20-50 carbs.
So IMHO Fat Fast is a very restricted form of NK.
If going on a Fat Fast gives you results,then whatever your macros ur doing on NK maybe too high for you,higher carbs,higher protein and higher fat plus calories.
My plan was to slowly increase my macros from the Fat fast and see where I stop losing anymore/not being in ketosis.
Surprisingly its not that much.Even when I slightly increase protein from more than 50 I stall.So far its working for me,but I am still in the middle of the experiment so no info until I really get some substantial results.This is bcoz I just started only few days ago after holidays.
Other reasons:thyroid issues,medications,any hormone therapy,already at goal weight,etc?
Hope you find out whats wrong soon.
Thanks so much for your post.....I have done the fat fast about 3 times in 4 months and it does get me into ketosis...but I have gone right out of it the minute I eat anything other than fat. I've gotten really low on protein compared to what I used to consume. The other day it was 37 and today I'll probably be about 35.....I'm just not hungry.

I have no issues with thyroid, TOM, hormones, and I'm definitely not at goal weight...about 30 pounds higher than I used to be as a 30-50 yr old adult. Then POOF, I just gained weight....this is "after menopause" so can't blame the hormones.

I'm very stubborn and not willing to give up unless someone tells me that going nonfat/lowfat is okay and great for my bones and heart health!!!

I'm glad you are having small successes....I hope to have the same when I figure it out, but I'm definitely going to have to see how long I can do a fat fast to stay in ketosis this week and next.....or replace one of the 5 little meals with "real food" and try to keep the fat up.....much like what you are doing. Good idea!!! Thanks!
Closed Thread