Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #391
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Good morning!
Sorry to hear about the others of you that aren't feeling as good as your should or are in pain. I am still not well yet either so my posts aren't as personal as I would like if I felt better and could spend more time sitting her at the computer.

Kristn, so happy to see you back in your groove!! You have inspired so many of us and are such a help.

bjj, if my progress is helping you along, take a look today, I am down to a new low of 181. Now, I have to say that while not feeling well this week that I have almost no appetite and further, no energy for cooking so I know that probably pushed me a little lower on the scale, but as long as I keep my protein up, I will celebrate the new low number. Can't believe I am actually looking at getting in the 170's before long. It has been a loooooonnnnggg time since I saw that number.

Afraid my BP still running too high again this morning but the headache is better with the pain meds I am now on. Hoping it is just a matter of time before I can see improvement and that I can keep BP low enough I don't have to go back to ER. I do see my regular Dr. on Monday and we will discuss all this.

Here I was so looking forward to making an appt. with him to show him my weight loss and talk to him about lowering meds and now what the heck has happened???? Maybe after I get through this, changes can be made.

bjj, your weight and ketones look awesome!!!
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #392
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
Good morning everyone.

Ketones are up, but the weight is the same.
Based on my tight ring, I think I have some water retention issues right now. Also, I have had unsettled/gurgling stomach the last couple of days.

I will keep drinking my water and hopefully it sorts itself out.


Weight: 201.0 --> 201.0

Ketones: 2.1 --> 2.8

I am currently weighing in with a Doctor's type scale (beam scale). I normally weigh in to the half pound or so. To this point, that has been "close enough".

Should I invest in a digital scale? If so, which do you reommend?
Big, tight rings are always my guideline to whether I am retaining fluids
And, your ketones look great. The weightloss can be very slow even when you are doing everything right. Just keep on course.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #393
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Here's today's check-in, where I am going to jump on the awesome bandwagon of using arrows to show day-to-day change in weight and ketones.

Randomly starting with Monday, January 7, and going through today:

Weight: 144.4 --> 143.2 --> 143.2 --> 144.4 --> 143.0 (check out that zero!)

Ketones: 1.2 --> 1.9 --> 1.6 --> 1.2 --> 1.1

I have to admit, I'm loving my new policy of taking more rest days. I just have to struggle with that nagging sensation at the back of my mind that something feels off. The voice says, "All right, time to get out of your jammies and put on workout clothes! Better get started on that workout before the whole day passes you by!" To which I reply, "Not today, silly voice in the back of my mind. And stop saying 'jammies' - you are 32 years old."

I don't know what finally got my scale to snap out of its fixation with 144.4, but I'm happy that the trend is basically down. Not sure why the ketones have dropped for the past few days, but I won't go on red alert until it drops below 1.0.

Happy Friday to one and all!
Lindsays new scale really does work! I still say jammes and I am 67, once you have grandkids it creeps right back into your vocabulary
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #394
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I may just have my daughter do regular low carb and see how that helps for her. I keep telling her that sh has to become more active but she hates the idea of that.

So I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm back up to 210. I'm considering giving up the scale for the rest of the month and just eating with NK and see what happens. Its really amazing what a protein binge will do to someone. I'm also considering giving up my egg at breakfast and just eat bacon and fat now. I'm just discouraged right now and with other things popping up in my life right now, the scale thing does not help me any.
I think that is a good plan for your daughter. Just a regular approach to lowering carbs might be all she needs to lose some weight and feel better and as she gets to feeling better, than maybe she will want to be more active. You are such a good Mom to be helping her out on this.

When I started out I ate 2 fried eggs and several pieces of bacon for breakfast, then it was just 1 egg and 2 strips and now sometimes it is one or the other. Can't get over the appetite suppression I have with NK.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #395
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 35
Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I think that is a good plan for your daughter. Just a regular approach to lowering carbs might be all she needs to lose some weight and feel better and as she gets to feeling better, than maybe she will want to be more active. You are such a good Mom to be helping her out on this.

When I started out I ate 2 fried eggs and several pieces of bacon for breakfast, then it was just 1 egg and 2 strips and now sometimes it is one or the other. Can't get over the appetite suppression I have with NK.
I almost feel like I'm eating too much at breakfast. I'm averaging high 600's in calories at breakfast and it peters off throughout the day. I also wish I could get into coconut milk as a creamer but I can't. I can't decide if I want to give up the bacon or the eggs though. Part of me is discouraged and the other part says soldier on.
Georgette76 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #396
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Georgette, when I was logging that was about what my breakfast calories were. How about regular cream as your creamer?

I honestly don't cut back on any of the fats and was a very slow loser after the initial water weight loss, then it finally kicked in for me after 3 months. And that is with being persistent and not trying other things, my BS was doing so well that I just stayed the course. I really wasn't expecting to lose much weight.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I may just have my daughter do regular low carb and see how that helps for her. I keep telling her that sh has to become more active but she hates the idea of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I think that is a good plan for your daughter. Just a regular approach to lowering carbs might be all she needs to lose some weight and feel better and as she gets to feeling better, than maybe she will want to be more active. You are such a good Mom to be helping her out on this.
I agree with Buffy. The least restriction, especially for teenagers, to get results is a good plan. Teens are going to be in situations where they don't want to feel like an outsider or left out, it's good if there's some wiggle room in the plan. Also, if they can learn to eat well starting in their teens there might not ever be a need for too much restriction. I wish I had learned that lesson in my teens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
So I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm back up to 210. I'm considering giving up the scale for the rest of the month and just eating with NK and see what happens. Its really amazing what a protein binge will do to someone. I'm also considering giving up my egg at breakfast and just eat bacon and fat now. I'm just discouraged right now and with other things popping up in my life right now, the scale thing does not help me any.
I'm sorry that your scale is not cooperating. It's been a really hard transition for me to cut down on protein. I'm used to it now, but sometimes I want a giant steak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Good morning!
Sorry to hear about the others of you that aren't feeling as good as your should or are in pain. I am still not well yet either so my posts aren't as personal as I would like if I felt better and could spend more time sitting her at the computer.
I'm so sorry that you're still not feeling well. I hope that things get figured out and that you're feeling better soon!

Quote:
Kristn, so happy to see you back in your groove!! You have inspired so many of us and are such a help.
Thanks Buffy! I'm glad to be back in my groove, armed with a lot more information about the consequences of going off-plan.

Quote:
my progress is helping you along, take a look today, I am down to a new low of 181. Now, I have to say that while not feeling well this week that I have almost no appetite and further, no energy for cooking so I know that probably pushed me a little lower on the scale, but as long as I keep my protein up, I will celebrate the new low number. Can't believe I am actually looking at getting in the 170's before long. It has been a loooooonnnnggg time since I saw that number.
On the new low Buffy!

Quote:
my BP still running too high again this morning but the headache is better with the pain meds I am now on. Hoping it is just a matter of time before I can see improvement and that I can keep BP low enough I don't have to go back to ER. I do see my regular Dr. on Monday and we will discuss all this.

Here I was so looking forward to making an appt. with him to show him my weight loss and talk to him about lowering meds and now what the heck has happened???? Maybe after I get through this, changes can be made.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I really do hope that this is resolved soon!
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #398
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 35
Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Georgette, when I was logging that was about what my breakfast calories were. How about regular cream as your creamer?

I honestly don't cut back on any of the fats and was a very slow loser after the initial water weight loss, then it finally kicked in for me after 3 months. And that is with being persistent and not trying other things, my BS was doing so well that I just stayed the course. I really wasn't expecting to lose much weight.
I use whipping cream from a local creamery for my coffee. Coconut milk just comes off too be chalky in texture from what I have experienced. Reminds me of milk of magnesia in many ways.
Georgette76 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #399
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 35
Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
This is what I typically eat in a day:

B-1 sunny side up egg cooked in bacon grease with 3 pieces bacon, broth with butter and coffee with CO and whipping cream.

L-some kind of cream soup that I make or tuna or chicken salad with an avocado

D-4oz meat and a salad with whatever fatty dressing I have on hand.

I may sometimes have a fat bomb after dinner if I feel hungry. I don't like mayo at all period so my tuna/chicken sald is made with my homemade ranch dressing that I use greek yogurt as a base for.
Georgette76 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #400
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Georgette, that looks great to me, not sure what all your numbers are but each thing you are eating looks right on. I am sure if you make your cream soups you are making them LC since we know that commercial cream soups can be low or high carb.

I did find a Kirklands broccoli cheese soup at Costco that only had 3-4 net carbs per cup though.

No problem at all with the fat bomb, in fact I ate a lot of those when I was getting started and still have one if I am hungry for it.

How long did you say you have been eating this way, I could look back, you probably did say and I see you have already lost 10 lbs. That is what I lost my first month back on LC and about 8 of that was water weight.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member
 
luigi_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
no readings today but still eating the same

do you NK lot use the recipes from the recipe section on this site?

getting bored with my meals a little

ok i just found High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?

Last edited by luigi_uk; 01-11-2013 at 12:06 PM..
luigi_uk is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #402
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 35
Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
I started this on NYE. I know I haven't been at it long. I lost 10 pounds in my first week and gained 4 back. On Tuesday I had a bad day and ate a lot of protein so that did me in. I also ate a big steak too on Saturday so that could be a part of it. I make all my soups.
Georgette76 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #403
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 13
Gallery: LovePBandJ
Stats: 130 - At Goal
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: October, 2012
My cholesterol numbers have jumped based on blood work results that just came in today's mail. I am bummed. I enjoyed my HFLC life, but do not want it to mean I have high cholesterol.

Has anyone else had any experience with their cholesterol numbers rising?

Last edited by LovePBandJ; 01-11-2013 at 02:31 PM..
LovePBandJ is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I don't like mayo at all period so my tuna/chicken sald is made with my homemade ranch dressing that I use greek yogurt as a base for.
Recipe please?

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #405
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 35
Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
@NKSL55, my ranch dressing is as follows:

1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix
1 Cup Full Fage greek yogurt
1 Cup whipping cream
1 tbsp white vinegar

In your cup of whippng cream, add the white vinegar and let set for 5 minutes. In that time, add your ranch seasonings to the greek yogurt and mix well. After the whipping cream has set with the vinegar for 5 minutes, add in small amounts and mix until all is blended well. Let set and use for salads and other things.
Georgette76 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #406
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,780
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePBandJ View Post
My cholesterol numbers have jumped based on blood work results that just came in today's mail. I am bummed. I enjoyed my HFLC life, but do not want it to mean I have high cholesterol.

Has anyone else had any experience with their cholesterol numbers rising?
Can you share your #s?
clackley is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #407
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
This is what I typically eat in a day:

B-1 sunny side up egg cooked in bacon grease with 3 pieces bacon, broth with butter and coffee with CO and whipping cream.

L-some kind of cream soup that I make or tuna or chicken salad with an avocado

D-4oz meat and a salad with whatever fatty dressing I have on hand.

I may sometimes have a fat bomb after dinner if I feel hungry. I don't like mayo at all period so my tuna/chicken sald is made with my homemade ranch dressing that I use greek yogurt as a base for.
Your menu looks very good. Do you put everything in a tracker? Do you have total grams of carbs/protein/fat that you eat per day?

Quote:
I started this on NYE. I know I haven't been at it long. I lost 10 pounds in my first week and gained 4 back. On Tuesday I had a bad day and ate a lot of protein so that did me in. I also ate a big steak too on Saturday so that could be a part of it. I make all my soups.
If I'm going to go over my target p/c/f, I really try to do so with fat instead of protein or carbs so that I can stay in ketosis. I might not lose, but at least I don't have to start the process of getting into ketosis again.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePBandJ View Post
My cholesterol numbers have jumped based on blood work results that just came in today's mail. I am bummed. I enjoyed my HFLC life, but do not want it to mean I have high cholesterol.

Has anyone else had any experience with their cholesterol numbers rising?
This is not an area that I feel any expertise in--hopefully someone who knows more about cholesterol will chime in. I do know that there is controversy about the numbers and what they mean. A breakdown of your actual numbers will probably elicit more response.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #409
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 13
Gallery: LovePBandJ
Stats: 130 - At Goal
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: October, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Can you share your #s?
I did write all of my numbers, then waited too long and I was logged off. :dork:. Then, I didn't have as much time to write, so I wrote the quick reply that I did, without data :lazy:

Anyhow,
2011 Cholesterol 163
Current 193
range 100-199

2011 LDL 82
Current 103
range 0-99

My other numbers were higher, too. Although, that is good.
Triglycerides, 2011 54
current 56

HDL, 2011 70
Current 79

per Attia's blog http://eatingacademy.com/how-low-car...heart-disease:
2011 TG/HDL .77
current .70
range lower is better

So, I think that I need to find a GP to watch over me. I don't like to mess with cholesterol numbers, but according to Attia's blog, I may be going in the right direction. My GP is unfamiliar with this diet, so, obviously is concerned with the change in cholesterol. I have never had high cholesterol readings before. I know Attia has written a multi-segment section on his blog regarding cholesterol. I do trust Dr. Attia and believe he is knowledgeable, but I need someone to work with me to help me understand my progress. Without that, I may be making some pretty foolish mistakes. I just need to find a doctor who subscribes to this way of eating and understands the best way to test. In the meantime, I will play it safe.

It's funny, I have grown to believe so intensely about the healing powers of low fat, that even though I have experienced a change in my life with HFLC along with reading so many informative studies online, I still need a hand to hold through these unusual readings.

Jill
LovePBandJ is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePBandJ View Post
I did write all of my numbers, then waited too long and I was logged off. :dork:. Then, I didn't have as much time to write, so I wrote the quick reply that I did, without data :lazy:

Anyhow,
2011 Cholesterol 163
Current 193
range 100-199

2011 LDL 82
Current 103
range 0-99

My other numbers were higher, too. Although, that is good.
Triglycerides, 2011 54
current 56

HDL, 2011 70
Current 79

per Attia's blog http://eatingacademy.com/how-low-car...heart-disease:
2011 TG/HDL .77
current .70
range lower is better

So, I think that I need to find a GP to watch over me. I don't like to mess with cholesterol numbers, but according to Attia's blog, I may be going in the right direction. My GP is unfamiliar with this diet, so, obviously is concerned with the change in cholesterol. I have never had high cholesterol readings before. I know Attia has written a multi-segment section on his blog regarding cholesterol. I do trust Dr. Attia and believe he is knowledgeable, but I need someone to work with me to help me understand my progress. Without that, I may be making some pretty foolish mistakes. I just need to find a doctor who subscribes to this way of eating and understands the best way to test. In the meantime, I will play it safe.

It's funny, I have grown to believe so intensely about the healing powers of low fat, that even though I have experienced a change in my life with HFLC along with reading so many informative studies online, I still need a hand to hold through these unusual readings.

Jill
OK Jill.......if I had your numbers I would be over the moon with happiness!!!!

Your total cholesterol is under 200....and it's a useless number anyway.

The only important number to be concerned with is the HDL and yours is rising. This is fabulous.

You want your triglycerides to go lower, not higher (they are your blood fats and MUCH more important than cholesterol)....but they are already low, so that's great. Anything under 70 is considered Fabulous!!!!

It's also my understanding that your cholesterol will rise for the first 6-12 months doing lowcarb eating (strict). Then it will go down.

Your test is fabulous!
__________________
Shelley
shelley is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #411
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 13
Gallery: LovePBandJ
Stats: 130 - At Goal
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: October, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK Jill.......if I had your numbers I would be over the moon with happiness!!!!

Your total cholesterol is under 200....and it's a useless number anyway.

The only important number to be concerned with is the HDL and yours is rising. This is fabulous.

You want your triglycerides to go lower, not higher (they are your blood fats and MUCH more important than cholesterol)....but they are already low, so that's great. Anything under 70 is considered Fabulous!!!!

It's also my understanding that your cholesterol will rise for the first 6-12 months doing lowcarb eating (strict). Then it will go down.

Your test is fabulous!
Thanks Shelley,

Last night, worried, I went on a popcorn and beer bender (candied bacon popcorn, no less).

Your reply makes me feel much better and also makes me wish I didn't indulge in those carbs last night.

I think I should find a GP who knows about these diets and have him or her monitor my blood work. I have read some of Attia's blog about the controversial cholesterol numbers. But I can't get all of my medical advice from my own deductions based on what I find on the internet. Once things start to get serious, I like to pull in the experts. Cholesterol numbers out of a normal range is one thing I would classify as starting to get serious.

My paternal grandfathers both died in their early 50s of heart disease. I believe that because I am a woman, this doesn't have as great of impact on me as it does on my brothers, but nonetheless, I will have to err on the cautious side.

For now, I will probably stay low carb, moderate protein, and I will just let the fat numbers fall where they may. I won't go out of my way to get 119 grams of fat in for the day. Hopefully, this will bring my cholesterol back to a state that is normal for me. I also think that I will not focus so much on being fat-adapted and have more of a carb-cycling approach. I am currently at my goal weight, working on finding a maintenance lifestyle that suits me. I would love to be weight stable where I am at now.

I live in Houston, so hopefully it won't be impossible to find a doctor who is well versed in this experiment and can work with me.
LovePBandJ is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member
 
MarieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 32
Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post

So I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm back up to 210. I'm considering giving up the scale for the rest of the month and just eating with NK and see what happens. Its really amazing what a protein binge will do to someone. I'm also considering giving up my egg at breakfast and just eat bacon and fat now. I'm just discouraged right now and with other things popping up in my life right now, the scale thing does not help me any.
Frustrating! Two things have helped me keep the weightloss going while in NK: 1) track calories as well as carbs and protein (when I keep them less than 1700 I'm most successful) 2) drink 64 oz of water each day. I was eating more than I thought I was and retaining a lot of fluids. Oh, and the other thing: I became seriously committed and didn't waver - tracking is the key to keeping me accountable for micronutrient levels. Once you are into NK you will know it (I don't measure blood) - it took me about 3 weeks if I remember right - at that point I was able to roll back calories until I was losing weekly 1.5 - 2 lbs which is where I want to be.

Last edited by MarieD; 01-12-2013 at 06:57 AM..
MarieD is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member
 
BigRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 612
Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Good morning!

No BK reading today (only test every other day).
Weight is down from 201 to 199 this morning!!! Onederland! Hope it sticks.

Only issue I am having these days is a pretty constant stomach gurgling (going on for over a week now). It's not painful, more like a bloated feeling with noises added in just to make it fun

The only thing that has changed in my diet is the elimination of sweeteners on January 1st. Other than that, everything else is the same. Around six months back, I quit taking antibiotics that I had been on for years (acne treatment). I stopped because eliminating dairy had all but cleared up my skin and I was concerned about the long term effects. I read yesterday that probiotics are recommended after long term antibiotic use. Stopped at the store and picked some up yesterday and started last night. Still a little gurgly this morning, but seems like a little less bloat. Sorry if this is TMI.
BigRunner is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #414
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,780
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just as an experiment I tested my ketones in the afternoon and got 3.7. I needed to prove to myself that I follow the same pattern that others do and apparently I do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePBandJ View Post
Thanks Shelley,

Last night, worried, I went on a popcorn and beer bender (candied bacon popcorn, no less).

Your reply makes me feel much better and also makes me wish I didn't indulge in those carbs last night.

I think I should find a GP who knows about these diets and have him or her monitor my blood work. I have read some of Attia's blog about the controversial cholesterol numbers. But I can't get all of my medical advice from my own deductions based on what I find on the internet. Once things start to get serious, I like to pull in the experts. Cholesterol numbers out of a normal range is one thing I would classify as starting to get serious.

My paternal grandfathers both died in their early 50s of heart disease. I believe that because I am a woman, this doesn't have as great of impact on me as it does on my brothers, but nonetheless, I will have to err on the cautious side.

For now, I will probably stay low carb, moderate protein, and I will just let the fat numbers fall where they may. I won't go out of my way to get 119 grams of fat in for the day. Hopefully, this will bring my cholesterol back to a state that is normal for me. I also think that I will not focus so much on being fat-adapted and have more of a carb-cycling approach. I am currently at my goal weight, working on finding a maintenance lifestyle that suits me. I would love to be weight stable where I am at now.

I live in Houston, so hopefully it won't be impossible to find a doctor who is well versed in this experiment and can work with me.
I would like to say that from my readings on the whole 'cholesterol' issue I have learned the following.
#1. lipid hypothesis - not proven science. So much has been dis-proven and much about this is still to be understood.
#2. Aside from a genetic disorder (which your #'s do not imply), ldl is not predictive of heart disease.
#3. Ldl is a symptom and not a cause. It can go up do to weight loss and it is temporary and likely a symptom of fat being broken down and released.
#4. Your triglycerides are most significant and the lower in the range, the better. This # is predictive of metabolic disease including diabeties, cancer, heart disease and on and on.
#5. high HDL is considered good.
#6. Ratios and all the ranges are not designed for those who eat a low carb woe and therefore may be useless.

It is best to do your own research and get to the understand what all this means and what it doesn't mean. Btw, I agree that your numbers look fine.
__________________
Cathy
Original start - Feb. 2000 180/125

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 01-12-2013 at 06:43 AM..
clackley is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #415
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 130
Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Weight: 184 -> 182.8 -> 183.2 -> 182.8 -> 182.4 -> 180.6 -> 180.4 -> 182
AM Ketones: 0.3 -> 0.4 -> 0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.6 -> 1.1 -> 1.6 -> 0.8

Went to Chinese restaurant last night and only ate beef and spinach dish with no rice or any other visible starches. Who knows how much sugar and corn starch they put in, but considering my weight gain and ketone drop, probably a lot!
bjjcaveman is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #416
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cathy, just wanted you to know that I just sent the 3 quotes in your siggy to my DD's, I try to often send them things to help them learn more about our WOE and to encourage them. Thanks for sharing!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #417
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post

I am currently weighing in with a Doctor's type scale (beam scale). I normally weigh in to the half pound or so. To this point, that has been "close enough".

Should I invest in a digital scale? If so, which do you reommend?
I just noticed that nobody answered your question yet (I think), so I wanted to chime in with something that I hope will be helpful! My new digital scale (purchased just after Christmas) has been notorious for wacky, inconsistent readings. But, it is an improvement over the analog scale I was using before, because I had trouble distinguishing one pound differences (the little marks are so close together!). I would think that the scale you already have would be the most accurate of all, since it's the kind doctors use. But I am no expert! Unless you think there is something actually wrong with your scale, you may be better off with it than any other scale. Of course, you could buy a digital one and use it for side by side comparison. But I just can't recommend the specific scale I bought, since it has proven to be unreliable. I don't have a model number, but it is a Taylor with a large glass surface, and it pretends to measure body fat percentage. Also, it is one of the models sold by Academy Sports if you want to look it up to see "what not to buy."
__________________
** Lindsay **
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
@NKSL55, my ranch dressing is as follows:

1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix
1 Cup Full Fage greek yogurt
1 Cup whipping cream
1 tbsp white vinegar

In your cup of whippng cream, add the white vinegar and let set for 5 minutes. In that time, add your ranch seasonings to the greek yogurt and mix well. After the whipping cream has set with the vinegar for 5 minutes, add in small amounts and mix until all is blended well. Let set and use for salads and other things.
Thanks!
--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Weight: 184 -> 182.8 -> 183.2 -> 182.8 -> 182.4 -> 180.6 -> 180.4 -> 182
AM Ketones: 0.3 -> 0.4 -> 0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.6 -> 1.1 -> 1.6 -> 0.8

Went to Chinese restaurant last night and only ate beef and spinach dish with no rice or any other visible starches. Who knows how much sugar and corn starch they put in, but considering my weight gain and ketone drop, probably a lot!
I just wanted to say I checked out your blog, and I think it's fantastic. It is very inspiring and makes me want to start one, but I'm already over 2 months in to my NK "experiment!" I have logged daily food intake, weight, workouts and ketones since the beginning, so I have tons of data but none of the interesting commentary. Anyway, I hope you keep doing the blog as well as posting your updates here!

Sorry to hear that the Chinese restaurant derailed your progress, especially since it sounds like you stayed on plan as much as could be expected. I wish my local Chinese restaurant had spinach!! When we go there, I always go to the hibachi bar and only pick out "safe" stuff. The guy squirts some mystery sauce on it at the end, but I am hoping it's not enough to make a difference. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet, but I just go to the hibachi bar once and add the awesome green beans and maybe mushrooms from the other bars to the same plate.
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #420
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Lindsay, you are right, nobody chimed in on this and I had meant to. I have a tanita one that measures weight to the 2/10's of a lb and I like that, just b/c there are times when I really am needing to see a change and even that small of an amount is reassuring. Also, like you, I don't know how accurage the BF readings are, BUT, I can say that mine is working, I think, b/c it was consistently showing my BF as 50-51% , before starting NK. And, I am seeing it creeping ever so slowly downward, this morning I think it was 47.2%. That is with no exercise of any kind. So, I do think the BF part works, just not sure how close it is to my exact BF. At this rate, by the time I am 130, my BF should be 20%, right
Buffy45 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.