Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
CVS has Nova Strips Again!

For some unknown reason I decided to check the weekly sale at CVS online and they now have Nova Max Plus Ketone strips for $18.74 a box and free shipping over $49! I haven't been able to combine that price with another offer, but they have sales all the time!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Weight: 184 -> 182.8 -> 183.2 -> 182.8 -> 182.4 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 0.3 -> 0.4 -> 0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.6 -> 1.1

I seem to have made the ketone jump that mom2zeke had, which also corresponds to a bit of weight loss (probably remaining water retention from my new years bender since this is what my weight was before New Years). It'll be interesting to see if this continues.

Just off the top of my head, potential causes for this jump from low level ketones to 1+ include:
- Finally my body has shifted its cellular machinery and has shifted gears to metabolise more ketones
- I have finally worked through any remaining excess glycogen (goes hand in hand with above)
- Or, this may be related to the work out I had yesterday (kettlebells, jump rope, and burpees). I still have to do a writeup of my 3 day experiment of eating the same thing varying only my activity, but I noticed higher ketone levels the morning after my exercise days.
- I've also reduced my carb intake to less than 30gm the past few days, so this may have also played a part.
- OR all of the above!

Keeping a log of my diet and track of my macros has helped a lot and helped me be aware of my intake.

Also I think I've figured out the satiety thing.. at least for me.

It matters what source of fat/protein I eat. When I was just eating cheese (hard cheeses as recommended by in the Art and Living Books)... I was still hungry later, no matter how much I ate... but when I changed the source to fatty meats.. man that kept me satiated for a lot longer.. even though the caloric intake was the same between the two. The meat had a little more protein vs fat .. whereas the cheese was more fat than protein.

So now that I've switched to a meat based source, I no longer feel the uncomfortable hunger pangs.

This is the beauty of n=1... figuring out what works best for YOU.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #363
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
I have a daughter that is almost 14 and wants to do this with me. I need to figure out what her macros are but I'm having trouble with it. Can anyone help me? She's 5'3 190 pounds and has a medium build.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #364
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LovePBandJ
Stats: 130 - At Goal
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: October, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

This is day 3 of ketones over .5. I like the way the bjjcaveman posts his stats, so I'm going to copy him:

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2

I felt pretty bad again yesterday. I have to think that this is part of the keto adaptation process because I'm not actually coming down with the flu. I decided to skip kettlebells yesterday and start up again on Saturday. Hopefully today will be a better day.

This is definitely a good incentive not to go off-plan with such gusto any time soon. The re-entry process has been kind of painful.
This is amazing to me to watch what you are going through after ONE off-plan meal a year. I would think that your body is so depleted that the single meal wouldn't have that big of an impact, but it sure seems to have! I am a little bit discouraged. I hoped to carb cycle with one splurge every couple of weeks, but that just seems like I will be spending a lot of time in transition.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
I still have to do a writeup of my 3 day experiment of eating the same thing varying only my activity, but I noticed higher ketone levels the morning after my exercise days.
WTG on the progress! I would love to see the writeup of your experiment- great Idea.

Quote:
For some unknown reason I decided to check the weekly sale at CVS online and they now have Nova Max Plus Ketone strips for $18.74 a box and free shipping over $49! I haven't been able to combine that price with another offer, but they have sales all the time!
Thank you fo posting this
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #366
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
I have checked and checked but didn't today, so thankful you posted this. Of course I can't get my order to go through but am now on hold to speak to CS.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePBandJ View Post
I did once and the numbers were exactly the same. I use the Precision Xtra system. I don't bleed easily, so for the first test, it turned out I did not have enough of a drop to generate a reading, so in desperation, to not waste the strip, I squeezed my finger to generate enough of a drop. I know squeezing to generate blood is a no-no. So, after I did that, I punctured my fingers several more times until my body spontaneously produced a drop of blood. That reading was exactly the same as the squeezed-out blood drop reading.
I haven't started testing BK yet, but I do check blood glucose multiple times a day. What I was told years ago was that squeezing the finger to produce an adequate blood sample might also squeeze fluid from the tissue and result in a lower (false) reading. I make an effort not to squeeze, but in the winter when my hands are cold it is tough not to do so. I do sometimes swing my arms or let my arms dangle and shake my hands vigorously to help get the sample.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
I haven't started testing BK yet, but I do check blood glucose multiple times a day. What I was told years ago was that squeezing the finger to produce an adequate blood sample might also squeeze fluid from the tissue and result in a lower (false) reading. I make an effort not to squeeze, but in the winter when my hands are cold it is tough not to do so. I do sometimes swing my arms or let my arms dangle and shake my hands vigorously to help get the sample.
I also find that lowering your hand and arm helps some but I also have to gently squeeze sometimes.

Not sure how you place your ketone strip in the blood but if you gently put the tip of it to the very side of the drop of blood, it will just suck it right up and often leave it undisturbed, this works for me as I then stick my BG strip into the same drop of blood.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
think i missed a day, had busy day with my business.

BK this morning 0.5 fasting
BS this morning 4.7 fasting

food stats copied from my app (that im NOT allowed to mention)

fat 221g, carbs 34g, protein 60g, total kcals 2287

ashtanga yoga 65 minutes

i have chronic pain above right hip, i had hoped going on NK would ease that pain but it hasnt made any difference. I am getting an ultrasound soon as well as an xray.

Last edited by luigi_uk; 01-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
As I understand things, which doesn't mean much, ketosis is when your body is producing ketones as a result of a LC diet. Keto-adapted or AKA nutritional ketosis is when your body is fully fat burning, which takes a few weeks of ketosis to achieve.
this is what i thought two...two different states
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette76 View Post
I have a daughter that is almost 14 and wants to do this with me. I need to figure out what her macros are but I'm having trouble with it. Can anyone help me? She's 5'3 190 pounds and has a medium build.
Georgette--have you thought about having her just do a LC plan rather than NK? NK is so much more restrictive and she might do just as well or better and learn a WOE that she can more easily follow.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is amazing to me to watch what you are going through after ONE off-plan meal a year. I would think that your body is so depleted that the single meal wouldn't have that big of an impact, but it sure seems to have! I am a little bit discouraged. I hoped to carb cycle with one splurge every couple of weeks, but that just seems like I will be spending a lot of time in transition.

Thanks for sharing!
Don't get discouraged! I think it has a lot to do with my history and metabolism. I'm older, was over 100 pounds overweight, hypothyroid, and I've been LC for over 11 years. I've come to believe that being LC long term does change the equation. But I would rather deal with this and figure out how to make it work than stop this WOE and be fat again.

You may have a totally different experience, but you'll only know if you give it a try and see what happens.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weight: 184 -> 182.8 -> 183.2 -> 182.8 -> 182.4 -> 180.6
AM Ketones: 0.3 -> 0.4 -> 0.5 -> 0.6 -> 0.6 -> 1.1

I seem to have made the ketone jump that mom2zeke had, which also corresponds to a bit of weight loss (probably remaining water retention from my new years bender since this is what my weight was before New Years). It'll be interesting to see if this continues.

Just off the top of my head, potential causes for this jump from low level ketones to 1+ include:
- Finally my body has shifted its cellular machinery and has shifted gears to metabolise more ketones
- I have finally worked through any remaining excess glycogen (goes hand in hand with above)
- Or, this may be related to the work out I had yesterday (kettlebells, jump rope, and burpees). I still have to do a writeup of my 3 day experiment of eating the same thing varying only my activity, but I noticed higher ketone levels the morning after my exercise days.
- I've also reduced my carb intake to less than 30gm the past few days, so this may have also played a part.
- OR all of the above!

Keeping a log of my diet and track of my macros has helped a lot and helped me be aware of my intake.

Also I think I've figured out the satiety thing.. at least for me.

It matters what source of fat/protein I eat. When I was just eating cheese (hard cheeses as recommended by in the Art and Living Books)... I was still hungry later, no matter how much I ate... but when I changed the source to fatty meats.. man that kept me satiated for a lot longer.. even though the caloric intake was the same between the two. The meat had a little more protein vs fat .. whereas the cheese was more fat than protein.

So now that I've switched to a meat based source, I no longer feel the uncomfortable hunger pangs.

This is the beauty of n=1... figuring out what works best for YOU.
Congrats on the weight and ketones! I think that you're on to something with your reasons for the jump in ketones.

I felt much better today--no more headache and flu-like symptoms. But I'm still hungrier than I was before going off-plan, the satiety hasn't quite set in yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I have checked and checked but didn't today, so thankful you posted this. Of course I can't get my order to go through but am now on hold to speak to CS.
It's so funny because I had totally given up on CVS but I still get the emails and usually just delete them without looking. Today for some reason I checked. Hopefully you were able to order!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #375
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
It's so funny because I had totally given up on CVS but I still get the emails and usually just delete them without looking. Today for some reason I checked. Hopefully you were able to order!
Yes, had to call order in but got 5 boxes. So glad they r back, best price around
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

mom2zeke - I want to write a post on my blog on the effects of cheating.. specifically around what happened to my ketones and how long it took to re-enter ketosis after New years.. and I was wondering if I could also use your story as another example since what happened to you after your bday is so similar.

If not that's totally cool, I can completely respect that.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My friend asked his sister to fast. The other was my husband, not in a fasted state. Interestingly, at Christmas when I decided to let my nutritional ketosis go I did so in glory with a Chinese Buffet. Before the buffet I had a 2.9 reading. Post buffet, my reading was .2. As a result of these three situations I have generally come to think of .2 as a normal person's reading. I don't know if that is true or not. Just my own experience.
I think some people get even lower readings, but you're right .2 is definitely out of the ketone zone we're trying to achieve.

Quote:
I mix it up, but today was my strength training. I do all of the basic compound lifts: deadlift, benchpress, squats, lunges, fly, overhead. My weights aren't really all that heavy in comparison to those who truly do lift heavy, but they are just the right amount of heavy for me.
Well, heavy is relative to the individual.

Quote:
My WL history is that I have lost 25 pounds since July, putting me back at a weight that is more "normal" for me. To get rid of the last five pounds I tried this LCHF avenue and, much to my surprise, I lost ten. That was in October. Once I achieved my goal I went back to a normal diet and realized how much better my body felt eating LCHF. Now I am trying to figure out how to do this as a lifestyle. So, I am very new to all of this, but learning so much everyday, thanks to sites like this one.

My current bodyfat is around 18%, to which I credit the LCHF lifestyle.
That's awesome--congratulations on your success! Making this a lifestyle does seem a bit tricky, especially in social situations. It's so great to have this group to bounce things off of and learn from other people's experiences.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
mom2zeke - I want to write a post on my blog on the effects of cheating.. specifically around what happened to my ketones and how long it took to re-enter ketosis after New years.. and I was wondering if I could also use your story as another example since what happened to you after your bday is so similar.

Sure thing, feel free to use my story!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
bjjcaveman: I agree about the cheese and fatty meats! I cannot eat marscapone or cream cheese much, they really keep me hungry.

I do eat hard cheese, but I cannot just eat any hard cheeses - I cannot simply eat a hunk of cheddar, for example. They have to be very aged.... one that I eat is Old Amsterdam, which is an aged form of Gouda that is very hard and dark. Another is a nice, hard, aged blue cheese. And real, aged parmesan. I don't overeat these, and they keep me satiated. Even a nice, normal Gouda will keep me hungry.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:

Hey i would love to read your blog if you were ok with posting a link to it.

Quote:
I felt much better today--no more headache and flu-like symptoms. But I'm still hungrier than I was before going off-plan, the satiety hasn't quite set in yet.
glad you are feeling better! Its interesting that you are hungry now when you weren't before... are you doing the same macros?
Like you, I'm a long time LCer. I've been LC for the better part of the last 17 years. Went off for pregancies etc but when I was on it was mostly induction/fat fast bc I was never able to raise carbs very much without gaining-this got worse over time. I wish I had detailed spreadsheets from the whole time for analysis, but I don't and memory can be innaccurate- but without exact stats... from my overall experience I've come to believe that as long as I stay in the zone as you call it the status quo stays. But if I go out and back in it seems to get one level more difficult.
I'm not talking abou the difficulty of getting back on...that's another issue . I mean that if before I could lose on 30gms the next time it would need to be 20 gms.
For example, before I turned to LC, the very first diet I did was just to eliminate caloric drinks. (I have always been interested in healthy eating but I used to drink fruit juices thinking they were healthy and did not want to drink diet soda- but i HATE water...). Just by switching to diet soda and doing nothing else, I lost a lot of weight painlessly over a few months. I did several diets in between that would work for awhile but if I veered and went back I'd have to cut out something more. When I found myself down to 800 cals plus loads of "free" vegetables and still not losing. (Oh and hours at the gym...) I decided to give atkins a try even though I was petrified of what it would do to my body having been eating 3 measured tsps of oil per day for ages.

It was great.. at the beginning.. but overtime I have had to make it more and more restrictive until I thought I ran out of what to restrict... then I found NK.

Still haven't figured out how to make things move again though but I least I have a few directions of where to change things up and keep trying.

Anyway this is my experience and I don't know if its helpful to others but it might serve as a cautionary tale about what might happen if we go out and in too much...

Quote:
Georgette--have you thought about having her just do a LC plan rather than NK? NK is so much more restrictive and she might do just as well or better and learn a WOE that she can more easily follow.
I have a teenage daughter who feels better LC too but bc of my experience above I'm afraid for her to restrict it to much... eliminated wheat and sugar for along time now and she feels alot better but she still has whole grain side dishes but even that way, when she has more than a little she feels brain fog. Its all very confusing to figure out how to do this in a safe way. I don't want her to end up all messed up like me. I also wonder how Low is low enough that its safe not to limit fats etc. Right now she eats unlimited vegs, moderate protein, moderate fat and about the equivalent of 2 cups cooked brown rice of carbs in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
i have chronic pain above right hip, i had hoped going on NK would ease that pain but it hasnt made any difference. I am getting an ultrasound soon as well as an xray.
Hope you get this sorted out soon Luigi feel good.

Last edited by tablis; 01-11-2013 at 02:50 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #381
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LovePBandJ
Stats: 130 - At Goal
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: October, 2012
Quote:

I would love to read a blog with this as a subject, too!

I am meeting friends for lunch today at an Indian restaurant. A little nervous about what to order. I've looked at the menu online and so far, I think the only thing that I can order is a kabob. Does anyone have any experience ordering Indian?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
I almost missed this. How long have you been in pain? I lived with 9 months of chronic pain in 2011 and it was awful. I hope that they figure out what's going on and you feel better soon!

Quote:
I am meeting friends for lunch today at an Indian restaurant. A little nervous about what to order. I've looked at the menu online and so far, I think the only thing that I can order is a kabob. Does anyone have any experience ordering Indian?
When I was LC, but not NK, I would order a mixed tandoori grill. Sometimes they will have a salad or a side of veggies that you can order along with that. I'm sure some of the curries are okay, but I don't know how to determine that without asking a lot of questions.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

This is day 4 of ketones over .5 and I'm pretty happy with my weight right now.

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1

As I posted last night, I felt much better yesterday--definitely getting back in the NK zone.

We're taking my oldest son out for his 21st birthday tonight and then he's back to college in Boston tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
kristen...would you mind giving a few examples of what your menus look like?

i have read your history and it so much parallels mine...my biggest 'issue' is social things. and choosing better at restaurants. i generally go out once or twice a week...with a friend one once and my sister another. it's so frustrating that one meal can wreak such havoc. yesterday i ate out and my carbs were around 80 for the day....that is NOT high...i hate that i'm so carb sensitive. anyway...enough whining...was just curious what your menus look like.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning everyone!

This is day 4 of ketones over .5 and I'm pretty happy with my weight right now.

Weight: 147.6 ->148.2 ->148 ->147 ->147.2 -> 147.2 -> 147 -> 146.8 -> 146 -> 145.4
AM Ketones: 0.2 -> 0.2 -> 0.1 -> 0.2 -> 0.3 -> 0.3 -> 0.8 -> 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.1

As I posted last night, I felt much better yesterday--definitely getting back in the NK zone.

We're taking my oldest son out for his 21st birthday tonight and then he's back to college in Boston tomorrow.
Is that a new low in weight for you? If it is... fantastic!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Here's today's check-in, where I am going to jump on the awesome bandwagon of using arrows to show day-to-day change in weight and ketones.

Randomly starting with Monday, January 7, and going through today:

Weight: 144.4 --> 143.2 --> 143.2 --> 144.4 --> 143.0 (check out that zero!)

Ketones: 1.2 --> 1.9 --> 1.6 --> 1.2 --> 1.1

I have to admit, I'm loving my new policy of taking more rest days. I just have to struggle with that nagging sensation at the back of my mind that something feels off. The voice says, "All right, time to get out of your jammies and put on workout clothes! Better get started on that workout before the whole day passes you by!" To which I reply, "Not today, silly voice in the back of my mind. And stop saying 'jammies' - you are 32 years old."

I don't know what finally got my scale to snap out of its fixation with 144.4, but I'm happy that the trend is basically down. Not sure why the ketones have dropped for the past few days, but I won't go on red alert until it drops below 1.0.

Happy Friday to one and all!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Good morning everyone.

Ketones are up, but the weight is the same.
Based on my tight ring, I think I have some water retention issues right now. Also, I have had unsettled/gurgling stomach the last couple of days.

I will keep drinking my water and hopefully it sorts itself out.

Weight: 201.0 --> 201.0

Ketones: 2.1 --> 2.8

I am currently weighing in with a Doctor's type scale (beam scale). I normally weigh in to the half pound or so. To this point, that has been "close enough".

Should I invest in a digital scale? If so, which do you reommend?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #388
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
I may just have my daughter do regular low carb and see how that helps for her. I keep telling her that sh has to become more active but she hates the idea of that.

So I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm back up to 210. I'm considering giving up the scale for the rest of the month and just eating with NK and see what happens. Its really amazing what a protein binge will do to someone. I'm also considering giving up my egg at breakfast and just eat bacon and fat now. I'm just discouraged right now and with other things popping up in my life right now, the scale thing does not help me any.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
kristen...would you mind giving a few examples of what your menus look like?

i have read your history and it so much parallels mine...my biggest 'issue' is social things. and choosing better at restaurants. i generally go out once or twice a week...with a friend one once and my sister another. it's so frustrating that one meal can wreak such havoc. yesterday i ate out and my carbs were around 80 for the day....that is NOT high...i hate that i'm so carb sensitive. anyway...enough whining...was just curious what your menus look like.
Sure thing. Currently my typical day (when I'm trying to lose):

B: Coffee w/ 1/4 c. coconut cream, 2 eggs cooked in 1/2 tbs coconut oil, 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese, 1 ounce each of sour cream and salsa
L: Chicken broth w/ added salt, 4 ounces of mascarpone cheese with cocoa powder and liquid splenda
S: Coffee w/ 1/4 c. coconut cream
D: 4 ounces of meat & a large salad w/ 1 tbs olive oil & vinegar

This usually gives me ~1500 calories, 65-70g of protein, 20g of carbs, 130ish g of fat.

When I was trying to get to goal I often cut out some of the cheese to get my fat lower. My goal at that time was to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories total a day (protein and carbs stayed constant, I played around with fat intake).

When I'm not trying to lose I eat about 500 more calories of fat in the form of cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, hard cheese, or fat bombs. The cheeses up my protein a bit also--I shoot for around 70 grams. If I go much higher than that my ketones take a nose-dive.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is that a new low in weight for you? If it is... fantastic!
I actually saw 143ish between Christmas and New Years. But I like being around 145, it feels like a good weight for me. If I haven't lost any LBM since my last dunk test 145 puts me at 20% BF which I think is a pretty good level for me. If I go too much lower I think start looking older in my face. This year I'm investigating botox and fillers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Here's today's check-in, where I am going to jump on the awesome bandwagon of using arrows to show day-to-day change in weight and ketones.

Randomly starting with Monday, January 7, and going through today:

Weight: 144.4 --> 143.2 --> 143.2 --> 144.4 --> 143.0 (check out that zero!)

Ketones: 1.2 --> 1.9 --> 1.6 --> 1.2 --> 1.1
Lindsay! Congratulations on 143.0.

Quote:
I have to admit, I'm loving my new policy of taking more rest days. I just have to struggle with that nagging sensation at the back of my mind that something feels off. The voice says, "All right, time to get out of your jammies and put on workout clothes! Better get started on that workout before the whole day passes you by!" To which I reply, "Not today, silly voice in the back of my mind. And stop saying 'jammies' - you are 32 years old."
Well I still say jammies and I'm much older than you! I'm glad that you are able to take more rest days and feel good about it.

Quote:
I don't know what finally got my scale to snap out of its fixation with 144.4, but I'm happy that the trend is basically down. Not sure why the ketones have dropped for the past few days, but I won't go on red alert until it drops below 1.0.

Happy Friday to one and all!
Happy Friday! I'm glad that your scale is finally working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
Good morning everyone.

Ketones are up, but the weight is the same.
Based on my tight ring, I think I have some water retention issues right now. Also, I have had unsettled/gurgling stomach the last couple of days.

I will keep drinking my water and hopefully it sorts itself out.

Weight: 201.0 --> 201.0

Ketones: 2.1 --> 2.8

I am currently weighing in with a Doctor's type scale (beam scale). I normally weigh in to the half pound or so. To this point, that has been "close enough".

Should I invest in a digital scale? If so, which do you reommend?
Great ketones! Hopefully the scale will move for you soon.

I moved over to a digital scale last year and I love it. I wouldn't recommend mine because it has a BF% function which makes it more expensive but doesn't work at all. I have read on the main board that people like the Eat Smart digital bathroom scale. I have the Eat Smart food scale and I find it accurate and easy to use.
Closed Thread