Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi Chloe!

Hi cici, I haven't been dropping too quickly either, but feel like I'm getting into ketosis. Just gotta be patient, ya know?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeesecake View Post
Hi all. Minus 1.25lb today hurrah!
Hooray!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #213
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Yes, Red, Les Mis the movie is still a musical. And believe me, I'm nervous to see something like that unless it's on Broadway. I also very rarely say I love a movie...I loved this movie. This is dorky,but it really is a must-see.
I will give it a go at some point but I'm a hard sell on movie musicals heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Lastly, you know how I've been having some problems with carb cravings? Well, I have depression and have for a very long time. It's finally been very well treated. But I'm feeling it coming back. My doc thinks it's Seasonal Affective Disorder (she said carb cravings are one of the symptoms!), so she told me to get a lightbox. It will be here Tuesday. Anyone have experience with them?
Depression is a an awful affliction.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #214
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Good morning, everybody. Welcome back, Chloe. Eating going well here since NY. Within ounces of my preholiday weight (my scales only measure whole pounds but it is wiggling toward the magic number). REally expected to get rid of the holiday four within a couple days since I thought it was just a carb/water bounce. I do get quite envious of those reporting real weight loss as I continue to be in the same couple pound range forever. Keep waiting for my whooosh that will take me to new numbers. I am on a couple of challenge threads. For me the challenge goals are behaviour related as that is all I can control. However, I am determined to find the way to break this stall. It may not be NK as LC did not work for me in the past but hoping the lower protein will eventually turn my body into a fat burning machine. I may end up having to exercise. About the only way that is going to happen is if I get an active job or brain transplant.
Cici, you are experimenting with a JUDDD approach to NK?

Exercise is okay if it is the right type for a weight loss goal. Resistance exercise to build muscle mass in other words. And done in moderation.

But really the best possible thing would be to figure out what isn't working before trying to fix it with exercise since exercise is not required to lose weight.

Brain transplant. heh. Did ya'll see that movie Skyline?? It was way different but really cool, despite the horror of some of it, so thumbs up from Darin.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #215
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Morning everyone! May I join you all?

I am back on the wagon and looking forward to giving and receiving support!
I talk a lot, so anyone who does not know me from LCF already, feel free to ask me anything!

So far so good, day 5, and 6.6lbs down. Probably all waterweight, but after this two year up down up down up up up rollercoster I will take every ounce I can get! Had some pretty bad induction flu this weekend, but today I am definitely feeling much better. Hopefully I'll become keto-adapted soon...

xxx Chloe.
Hiya Chloe

Welcome to the thread
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
Thanks guys! 1.5lb down this morning!!

I don't suffer from SAD but I was diagnosed with depression a year ago and spent six months seeing a counsellor and taking medication. I'm much better now and I think me being able to stick to this WOE is a lot to do with feeling better within myself.

Tough food week this week I am a Ladybird Leader with the Irish Girl Guides and we have a District Meeting and meal tomorrow, our Christmas meal on Friday, a Regional Training day with meal on Saturday and I'm going to a concert and dinner on Sunday. I don't mind having a couple of cheats a month, but 4 in one week I'll try and be good. No starter, steak or duck and salad with lots of dressing and...no dessert

My daughters birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm not going without cake so I'm off to see if I can find a low carb choc cake recipe!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
good morning! doing good here. i'm down 2 in the last two days. i am only plugging in foods that contain protein so that i am sure to keep my protein g in the right place. and also carbs....trying to keep my eyes averted from the cal section of the screen. lol...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #218
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks guys! 1.5lb down this morning!!

I don't suffer from SAD but I was diagnosed with depression a year ago and spent six months seeing a counsellor and taking medication. I'm much better now and I think me being able to stick to this WOE is a lot to do with feeling better within myself.

Tough food week this week I am a Ladybird Leader with the Irish Girl Guides and we have a District Meeting and meal tomorrow, our Christmas meal on Friday, a Regional Training day with meal on Saturday and I'm going to a concert and dinner on Sunday. I don't mind having a couple of cheats a month, but 4 in one week I'll try and be good. No starter, steak or duck and salad with lots of dressing and...no dessert

My daughters birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm not going without cake so I'm off to see if I can find a low carb choc cake recipe!!
Congrats!!!

The Irish Girl Guides thing sounds like a lot of fun to have with your daughter

You could always put a birthday candle on a ribeye and tell the kids it is steak flavored cake with A1 flavored icing
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #219
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
good morning! doing good here. i'm down 2 in the last two days. i am only plugging in foods that contain protein so that i am sure to keep my protein g in the right place. and also carbs....trying to keep my eyes averted from the cal section of the screen. lol...
Down 2!! Congrats!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Woo congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Congrats!!!

The Irish Girl Guides thing sounds like a lot of fun to have with your daughter

You could always put a birthday candle on a ribeye and tell the kids it is steak flavored cake with A1 flavored icing
Mmmmm ribeye "cake"! She wants a penguin cake so I've planned one out in my head. The I'll make a chocolate minute muffin with cream cheese frosting for me. And a ribeye haha!

Girl Guides is great fun. I run the Ladybirds who are between 5 and 7 and also the Brownies who are between 7 and 10. I think my vocation is working with children, however much I moan about it!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Cici, you are experimenting with a JUDDD approach to NK?
Yes. Here is my logic. The lower end of the calories of NK calculation every day, seems to be too much for me to lose as demonstrated the first month of NK. However it does give me good appetite control. Lowering the calories every day might slow my already snail-like metabolism. Lowering the calories on alternate days is too short a time for the body to think it is in the midst of famine but creates a calorie deficit overall. And that is beside the benefits of IF. Will continue combining until 2/14 before making any further decisions barring medical or mental emergency.

July challenge
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #222
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Yes. Here is my logic. The lower end of the calories of NK calculation every day, seems to be too much for me to lose as demonstrated the first month of NK. However it does give me good appetite control. Lowering the calories every day might slow my already snail-like metabolism. Lowering the calories on alternate days is too short a time for the body to think it is in the midst of famine but creates a calorie deficit overall. And that is beside the benefits of IF. Will continue combining until 2/14 before making any further decisions barring medical or mental emergency.
Interesting.

I would only say that since you're doing something unique there can be no bad results.

Edison was asked by a reporter about his 1000 failures while trying to discover the light bulb.

Edison replied, I did not fail 1000 times. I successfully discovered 1000 ways that did not work.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-07-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Interesting.

I would only say that since you're doing something unique there can be no bad results.

Edison was asked by a reporter about his 1000 failures while trying to discover the light bulb.

Edison replied, I did not fail 1000 times. I successfully discovered 1000 ways that did not work.
I love this!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Lauren posts at this board and she has a great low carb treat blog. If you google healthy indulgences chocolate cake you'll find her wonderful cake. I serve it at dinner parties and not a soul would guess it's low carb. It contains black beans, which I don't like, so I didn't try it for years. But weird as it sounds, it's delicious. And a can of beans doesn't contribute many carbs to each slice of a large cake.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! That cake looks amazing! I just found the healthy peanut butter chocolate pie that I think I will have to make as well! Oh Lord!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all! Watching a great National Championship game!

Hi Chloe! Welcome. Boo to the low carb flu, we all know that feeling.
Cici, it sounds like you are on a roll! Creativity is what makes this so much fun! Maybe some low form of movement would help, but likely you need to tweak the macros some more. I hate videos to exercise by, but bbbrrrr it's cold outside in Michigan eh? I got those resistance bands and they were fun until my dogs decided to join me!
Hi Mizz, hope you are doing okay, getting back in a routine.
Darin, that movie Skyline was odd...I do agree that exercise is not necessary for weight loss...in my days of over doing exercise to fanatic mania...I was starving for a couple hours after finishing. It's the addiction to the "high"....yet again, another one for exercise. What a great idea, steak cake! I am getting hungry again!
Gail, love your avi. And congrats on the loss! Sounds like you have some fun plans, even with the food challenges. There are some great chocolate cake, cupcake recipes. Buffy is quite the expert on those things!
Hi Dazy! Great! 2 lbs is huge. Keep up whatever you are doing. Stay positive, and try not to focus on food....except when you are hungry.
Hi Shelley! Hope you are having a great day!
Hi Tiva! Black beans in chocolate....hummmmmm....have to google this. I won't eat them plain, but with chocolate, anything is possible.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #227
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Morning all!

Thanks so much for the welcomes!

I am still reading here like mad, can't seem to catch up!
Feeling much better today thankfully, but I do think I have a candida issue that will cause some more flu like symptoms as I will get the die off... Yuk. Am now taking Citricidal to help speed up my candida elimination, so hopefully that will be done in the next couple of months. I need weightloss, not only health, LOL! (Being very demanding here!)

For the rest, nothing much, had a good day yesterday food wise.

Today my menu will probably look like this:

B: BPC
L: not sure when, but I've got smoked mackerel, half an avocado and some homemade mayo that could do with being eaten together! Garnish will be some rocket.
D: Steak with herb butter...

What do you all think? I enter all my food into a food tracking tool and with exact quantities. This way, I can adjust if my ratios aren't up to par. I try and keep my calories below 1800 but do not worry if they go over. I think carbs, fat and protein are key here, not calories.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mimosa! What do you use in your BPC? I want to try but am pretty hesitant, hate that greasy feeling on my lips from coconut oil.

I may be committing some cardinal sin of NK here, but I HATE coconut oil. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I think my hatred started when I was eating it straight. Just couldn't get over the feeling of how cold it felt in my mouth, LOL.

Good looking menu, what kind of steak will you be eating?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, everyone! The board has been sooo quiet lately.

My weight held steady at 125.4 this morning. I find I do not lose the morning after I go to the gym and lift, but it could also have been the glass of wine, 1900 calories, or 99g of protein that made me stay the same, LOL!

I can now PROUDLY proclaim I can bench press 20 pounds. Haha, gotta start somewhere, right? Geez, I'm so dainty.

Have a good day!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #230
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi Mimosa! What do you use in your BPC? I want to try but am pretty hesitant, hate that greasy feeling on my lips from coconut oil.

I may be committing some cardinal sin of NK here, but I HATE coconut oil. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I think my hatred started when I was eating it straight. Just couldn't get over the feeling of how cold it felt in my mouth, LOL.

Hi Mizzcase!

I am not a fan of coconut oil per se, I just love what it does to me, so I take its yukkiness for what it is... For me it's the flavour combined with the oiliness... Funny, as I love butter, olive oil, and lard, LOL!
Anyway, I have this milk foamer from Nespresso called Aerocino, which I use to make the BPC. This way it really blends everything well, and I have minimal bad flavour and almost no oiliness! I actually like it!

How to make: I add 1TB coconut oil, 1TB kerrygold butter and 1TB heavy cream and then 8oz of fresh black hot coffee. Close lid, press stirr button and voila, a creamy lovely cup of BPC! I have read that this goes well with a stick blender too... You get a more emulsified coffee, with lovely foamy creaminess, almost like a cappuccino or a latte. No oiliness on top!

The steak will be a nice ribeye, it's organic from the local farm around here, so grassfed... I'll probably have about 6oz, with the fatty bits... On top, I'll put a good pat of kerrygold garlic and herb butter and season with seasalt and pepper...

I just had lunch, but now I'm hungry at the thought of that steak, LOL!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 01-08-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #231
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

There are some good side benefits to organic CO by the oz like softer skin and it seems like I've read some ladies post that it makes their lips soft like a lip balm type thing? I cannot speak to that since I am a rugged macho guy [macho sans snakes, needles, spiders, scary movies after dark, and okay I admit it, I might have pulled off the road to hug my gf the first time I heard Tim McGraw and Don't Take the Girl].
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Morning all!

Thanks so much for the welcomes!

I am still reading here like mad, can't seem to catch up!
Feeling much better today thankfully, but I do think I have a candida issue that will cause some more flu like symptoms as I will get the die off... Yuk. Am now taking Citricidal to help speed up my candida elimination, so hopefully that will be done in the next couple of months. I need weightloss, not only health, LOL! (Being very demanding here!)

For the rest, nothing much, had a good day yesterday food wise.

Today my menu will probably look like this:

B: BPC
L: not sure when, but I've got smoked mackerel, half an avocado and some homemade mayo that could do with being eaten together! Garnish will be some rocket.
D: Steak with herb butter...

What do you all think? I enter all my food into a food tracking tool and with exact quantities. This way, I can adjust if my ratios aren't up to par. I try and keep my calories below 1800 but do not worry if they go over. I think carbs, fat and protein are key here, not calories.
It looks all good to me
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

I only have coconut oil in my coffee. It took a few cups to get used to the feel and taste but I'm fine with it now. I tried it straight once NEVER AGAIN!! I always keep a spoon in my cup so I can stir before I drink but I'm going to try the stick blender with it later. I'd never even thought of that!

Down another 1.5lb today Only 2 more to lose until I'm at my pre-Christmas weight. But it's #1 meal out tonight so the scales won't be down in the morning

Hope everyone's having a great day!!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #234
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I only have coconut oil in my coffee. It took a few cups to get used to the feel and taste but I'm fine with it now. I tried it straight once NEVER AGAIN!! I always keep a spoon in my cup so I can stir before I drink but I'm going to try the stick blender with it later. I'd never even thought of that!

Down another 1.5lb today Only 2 more to lose until I'm at my pre-Christmas weight. But it's #1 meal out tonight so the scales won't be down in the morning

Wow! Congrats!!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #235
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Not sure if it works with just coconut oil, I suspect you need the butter to help with the emulsion when using the blender... Let us know how it goes with just coconut oil!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Mizzcase!

I am not a fan of coconut oil per se, I just love what it does to me, so I take its yukkiness for what it is... For me it's the flavour combined with the oiliness... Funny, as I love butter, olive oil, and lard, LOL!
Anyway, I have this milk foamer from Nespresso called Aerocino, which I use to make the BPC. This way it really blends everything well, and I have minimal bad flavour and almost no oiliness! I actually like it!

How to make: I add 1TB coconut oil, 1TB kerrygold butter and 1TB heavy cream and then 8oz of fresh black hot coffee. Close lid, press stirr button and voila, a creamy lovely cup of BPC! I have read that this goes well with a stick blender too... You get a more emulsified coffee, with lovely foamy creaminess, almost like a cappuccino or a latte. No oiliness on top!

The steak will be a nice ribeye, it's organic from the local farm around here, so grassfed... I'll probably have about 6oz, with the fatty bits... On top, I'll put a good pat of kerrygold garlic and herb butter and season with seasalt and pepper...
Wow, sounds like I'll be buying an emulsifier soon! You use unsalted butter in the BPC, right? Love ribeyes, is that garlic and herb butter you make yourself, or is it sold by Kerrygold? Haven't seen it in stores..

Quote:
There are some good side benefits to organic CO by the oz like softer skin and it seems like I've read some ladies post that it makes their lips soft like a lip balm type thing? I cannot speak to that since I am a rugged macho guy [macho sans snakes, needles, spiders, scary movies after dark, and okay I admit it, I might have pulled off the road to hug my gf the first time I heard Tim McGraw and Don't Take the Girl].
Red, that is so sweet!

Quote:

Congrats on the weight loss.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #237
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Quote:
Delurking...

lolololol!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wow, sounds like I'll be buying an emulsifier soon! You use unsalted butter in the BPC, right? Love ribeyes, is that garlic and herb butter you make yourself, or is it sold by Kerrygold? Haven't seen it in stores...
Yes, I use unsalted butter in my BPC, it's the regular Kerrygold. We buy it by the boatload in our household, big fans!!!

And the herb butter we sometimes make ourselves, but this time we found one by kerrygold, and it only contains salt, garlic and herbs, nothing else apart from butter, so it sounded good! Maybe it's something that's readily available here in Germany/Europe but not in the US yet?

Check out the internet for milk foamers, there's loads out there! I have one that can make foamy hot milk, or just stirred hot milk. I use mine with the stirred hot milk setting for my BPC.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning. See there is a lot of discussion about BPC. I really love it but it does not work to extend my fast. I seem to need to eat protein breakfast by 7am regardless. Some people drink the stuff and go all day without eating until dinner. I am experimenting today with a little different timetable. Ate boiled eggs for breakfast, BPC for lunch and going to see if I can get through the rest of the day with just fat. This is actually more for my JUDDD DD side of the equation and has nothing to do with NK.

I am now solidly back to my preholiday weight. The one in my profile that thinks it is a brick wall. However, somewhere in my science classes, someone said if you push something hard enough, it will move. A quick google says this is Fudd's first law of oposition. Sorry I can't remember who Fudd is. However, I am pushing hard and feeling very hopeful that tomorrow will be the day to see a new number.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not sure if it works with just coconut oil, I suspect you need the butter to help with the emulsion when using the blender... Let us know how it goes with just coconut oil!
I used the blender and it worked!! I have coffee, coconut oil and coconut milk and instead of a layer of fat on the top, there was a layer of foam instead. If tasted different all blended together like that as well.

I sort of survived the meal out. Water to drink, no starter and chicken and bacon salad with dressing (served with fries as a "side" which I ate none of. I resisted the fries yay!) Then I ruined it all with a slice of hot chocolate fudge cake with vanilla ice cream heheh!! I'll see how much damage I've done in the morning!!

I'm going to look for that garlic and herb butter tomorrow. It should be in every store seeing as I live in the home of Kerrygold!

One question - what is BPC?!!
Closed Thread