Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #181
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Oh my...did I hear about it from a couple of them the next morning. Ooops. Yes, work up to anything that contains coconut oil for sure!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I won't rule out exercise entirely but I get a lot of smug satisfaction out of losing weight and keeping it off without any more exertion than lifting the 1.5 pound thick cut T-Bone out of the fridge to set on the counter.

Oh power lifting sucks for losing weight. At least during the first year when you are putting on most of the muscle. And muscle doesn't really hypertrophy without a similar "hypertrophy" of adipose tissue -- unless you are using drugs (eg, androgens).

I actually need to adjust my body weight stats. I am at 185 now. Up from 175 a couple of months ago. Probably at least 1/2 of that is muscle. Anyway, this is more fat than I need, so I should probably drop some in the next few months. But I will likely wait until I stall out on at least 2 of the 3 power lifts.

Or maybe I don't need to wait? NK is suppose to be protective of LBM.

--
Phillip
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Oh power lifting sucks for losing weight. At least during the first year when you are putting on most of the muscle. And muscle doesn't really hypertrophy without a similar "hypertrophy" of adipose tissue -- unless you are using drugs (eg, androgens).

--
Phillip
I should add that you can just cycle gaining and losing weight. If you do it right, you maintain most of the muscle and lose mainly adipose tissue. I mean that is what Lyle Macdonald is recommending with his old "ketogenic diet", right? Except I think he was having you use carbs for gaining weight. For me, I don't need the carbs, I can just lift 3 days a week and drink about a pint of HWC a day + whatever other NK foods I want. That gets my weight to trend upwards. Not that anyone on this forum will find that impressive.

--
Phillip
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #184
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Or maybe I don't need to wait? NK is suppose to be protective of LBM.

--
Phillip
Phinney said that you'd lose, for example, .25 pounds of LBM rather than 1.0 pounds if you were keto-adapted. I think it was within the context of low calories though.

He said or wrote somewhere else that NK/LC is LBM sparing.

Seems like he also deferred to Volek for the particulars on it though.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
There is a whole fat bomb thread somewhere and these were copied from there. However, my usual is equal parts PB/Butter/CO or just PB/CO so i know they are about 100cal/T

Lemon Fat Bomb

1 ounce cream cheese, room temp.
2 Tablespoons butter, room temp.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 Tablespoon sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
sweetener to taste

Stir together the cream cheese and butter. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Refrigerate until it stiffens up. If you are the impatient type, freeze for 20 minutes before eating.

I used:
1/2 c. almond butter
1/2 c. salted butter
1/2 c. coconut oil

1/2 C coconut oil
1/2 C salted butter
1/2 C chunky almond butter
1 1/2 C finely shredded coconut
3 T cocoa
6 T DaVinci French Vanilla syrup
Kosher salt to taste

CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2-3/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda *
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring
Beat everything with an electric mixer until fluffy. Drop by bite-size spoonfuls onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour. Store in the freezer and eat frozen.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
Thanks guys!

So I braved the scales this morning and I'm 5.75lbs up from my last weigh-in on the 6th of December. I was convinced that I'd put on a stone or something so I was happy with the small gain! Back on the wagon as of this morning and feeling great about it. My Dad booked the family summer holiday today and I'm excited about lounging around in the sun for a week in a bikini (if I'm brave enough!)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Cici- Those cream cheese clouds will be made sooner rather than later, I think. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

I made the clouds using Crystal Light instead of other artificial flavor/sweetener. Also, they worked in the fridge as well as the freezer.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Made Linda Sue's taco bake tonight. WOW! If you haven't made it yet, get on it! Heaven in my mouth, holy cow.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hope everyone had a great Saturday!
Butterball, ah, I love the ocean. Are you in the area with the steep "cliffs" before the beach, or the gentle slope? It is quite a beautiful area, such a personality!
Luigi, you are near the water as well, yes? To me, that means an hour or so drive? I love living near the water....exception during that darn hurricane season!
Hi Raven. Have you tried coconut cream in your coffee? It is very good. If you are fighting inflammation you may want to consider not using the cane sugar.
Cheryl, we need to make your DH a project here! Smokers cough? 46 is nearing the golden 50....! I would opinion the "one thing at a time" here.
Hey Mizz. Eating out can really be fun, but dangerous hidden things. What jumps out at me is the sugar consumed....and sugar will take you on a roller-coaster ride during the day...hence eating fruit all day, after granola/yogurt in the morning, which has very high sugar content, even some yogurts can have 27g sugar in that small container. Burrito bowls can have trouble too...many have corn/wheat in the meat/chicken mixes. Yes, you were high in protein, that could have caused some to turn to glucose too. But if you logged it for fun, I bet you would find your sugar grams fairly high on the clouds.
Hi Zay, welcome!
Darin, I formerly loved San Antonio, but not in the past few years. Although, the Riverwallk is nice, great Tex-Mex too! But the flea markets are taking over in places! Cravings going down? Have you an opinion on Win8? Looks interesting, but I have heard it's a train-wreck for enterprize systems.
Buffy, these headaches are starting to worry me. Your sinus issues have cleared up yes? You haven't cycled on sugar, and haven't had toffee in a while...but you have lost a significant amount of weight...have you had your medications adjusted for this loss? BP? Sounds like a doc appt here. If the adjustments were working to get some muscles relaxed, or work to get a disc off a nerve near your neck....they should disappear soon.
Hi Shelley...funny! I am seeing your friends after the 1 TBS bombs! Oh MY! I took it one teaspoon at a time.
Hi Phillip, please continue to lift those weights for me! I am going to try that biofeedback for gaining muscle!
Cici, those lemon fat bombs sound great. Need to make new ones tomorrow. TY!
Gail, that is good news! Nothing like a swim suit for motivation!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

I cannot recommend the movie Testament (1983) for any time after dark. What a bummer of a movie! Sheesh.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi Raven. Have you tried coconut cream in your coffee? It is very good. If you are fighting inflammation you may want to consider not using the cane sugar.
Are you talking about the canned coconut milk or the coconut milk creamer (in the refrigerator section)? I've tried canned coconut and the refrigerated creamer.....not satisfied and can't get used to either one of those.

I typically drink two cups of coffee a day and that's the ONLY sugar/sweetener I use for anything. I'm not willing to give that up I use less than a teaspoon in each cup (and yes, I measure!).

I had a bounce of .8 this morning....so my pattern seems to be in place. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is my pattern and it'll go away again once my body realizes it doesn't need to hold on to the water it sucked in to retain homeostatis.

I'm also rethinking a goal "weight" and thinking I'm going to just pick a size. I'm wearing 10's now and some 8's....I think once I'm firmly into the 8's I'm going to call goal. I've got a consultation with a plastic surgeon in two weeks for a medically necessary breast reduction. Even with all of my weight loss I never lost cup size, just band size (48J to 34J).
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Yes, sugar is addictive (from email this morning by William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.)

"You know that feeling you get when you eat or drink a bunch of sugar? It's not a sugar rush -- it's a sugar HIGH, because your body responds to sweets in almost the same way it responds to addictive drugs.

One little taste and you're hooked -- and once you're hooked, you'll always be craving more.

Now, new research on mice shows why shaking a sugar habit is just as tough as quitting hard drugs -- and it's because your body goes through almost the same withdrawal process.

Mice on a sugar high were like junkies looking for their next fix -- edgy and nervous. The researchers say sugar set the reward center of the brain practically on fire, leading to the cycle of craving and mood swings -- including stress and depression.

Looks like we're not so different from mice after all.

By the way, the mice fed sugar were also fed fats, causing the researchers to speculate that both fats and sugars are addictive.

And that's just ridiculous.

Fats aren't addictive any more than oxygen is addictive. The right word to use for both is ESSENTIAL. Just like you'd die without oxygen, you'd die without fats, too -- it would just take longer.

Sugar, on the other hand, will eventually kill you through diabetes and heart disease -- and that's why it's absolutely critical that you quit this addiction as quickly as you can.

I'm not going to lie to you here. This won't be easy, and you will have your setbacks.

Those setbacks aren't a mark of failure -- they're a mark of being human. Just be sure to pick yourself up and start all over again as many times as it takes."
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
SG
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
Are you talking about the canned coconut milk or the coconut milk creamer (in the refrigerator section)? I've tried canned coconut and the refrigerated creamer.....not satisfied and can't get used to either one of those.

I typically drink two cups of coffee a day and that's the ONLY sugar/sweetener I use for anything. I'm not willing to give that up I use less than a teaspoon in each cup (and yes, I measure!).

I had a bounce of .8 this morning....so my pattern seems to be in place. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is my pattern and it'll go away again once my body realizes it doesn't need to hold on to the water it sucked in to retain homeostatis.

I'm also rethinking a goal "weight" and thinking I'm going to just pick a size. I'm wearing 10's now and some 8's....I think once I'm firmly into the 8's I'm going to call goal. I've got a consultation with a plastic surgeon in two weeks for a medically necessary breast reduction. Even with all of my weight loss I never lost cup size, just band size (48J to 34J).
GM Raven! Coconut Cream is not the same thing as milk...the milk is quite a disappointment compared to the cream. Google Trader Joe's (you can't buy from them online sad to say....) but the best is in the brown and white can. There may be other online resources to get the canned version. I bought a nasty kind in a green carton from health food store, blleeehhhh! It is very thick, and once in coffee it pools the fat on top just like the coconut oil...not at much though. Now on the breast reduction surgery! Some of us girls are just shaking our heads...joke aside, I hope it goes very well, it's usually a very uncomplicated surgery. If you are taking supplements, make certain your surgeon knows each and every one. (34 is perfect!) ct
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Good morning!
Good article SG.
Was talking to DSIL yesterday who works as a sales rep for a manufacturer of diabetic drugs, they make Victoza plus other things. He is required to learn a lot about diabetes and metabolism in general and we talked about how too much protein is what keeps people from losing weight, turns to sugar and can also damage liver.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
I've got a consultation with a plastic surgeon in two weeks for a medically necessary breast reduction. Even with all of my weight loss I never lost cup size, just band size (48J to 34J).
Raven...I"m so excited for you.....

I had a BR surgery 12 years ago and it's the best thing I have ever done for myself! Take time to research the doctors. Ask for referrals to contact. Forget the bedside manner if they are masters in their art (mine was a glass blower who was a perfectionist....dreadful personality, but I didn't care....and I'm glad I went that route as many who chose "personality compatibility" didn't get the results I did!) You are correct about the band size thing. Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am that you are pursuing this! Did you know that it's the #1 surgery for patient appreciation, something like that. (patients were the happiest with this over any other surgery!)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Isn't it a musical?
Hi All!

Yes, I'm all late and wrong to the party but we are moving in a couple of weeks and I've been packing up a storm.

Yes, Red, Les Mis the movie is still a musical. And believe me, I'm nervous to see something like that unless it's on Broadway. I also very rarely say I love a movie...I loved this movie. This is dorky,but it really is a must-see.

Lastly, you know how I've been having some problems with carb cravings? Well, I have depression and have for a very long time. It's finally been very well treated. But I'm feeling it coming back. My doc thinks it's Seasonal Affective Disorder (she said carb cravings are one of the symptoms!), so she told me to get a lightbox. It will be here Tuesday. Anyone have experience with them?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #199
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes Deborah, the light boxes do work. Have to use it everyday for a certain amount of time but it can really help.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
Hi all. Minus 1.25lb today hurrah!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #201
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeesecake View Post
Hi all. Minus 1.25lb today hurrah!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

I'm such a bad source of support. I've missed everything these last few days. I've decided to give myself an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening so I can stay caught up with you wonderful people. I wish I could single out everyone but @Buffy, I posted that I was having some trouble controlling my carbs. You told me straight that I was on a slippery slope. If you had sugar coated it (no put intended, lol), I would have probably been near the bottom of the mountain soon. As it is, I was just halfway down the bunny slope. So thank you.

And thank everyone! Love that this is such an active thread and people are truly getting help and support.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Yes Deborah, the light boxes do work. Have to use it everyday for a certain amount of time but it can really help.
Thanx, Buffy!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hi All!

Yes, I'm all late and wrong to the party but we are moving in a couple of weeks and I've been packing up a storm.

Yes, Red, Les Mis the movie is still a musical. And believe me, I'm nervous to see something like that unless it's on Broadway. I also very rarely say I love a movie...I loved this movie. This is dorky,but it really is a must-see.

Lastly, you know how I've been having some problems with carb cravings? Well, I have depression and have for a very long time. It's finally been very well treated. But I'm feeling it coming back. My doc thinks it's Seasonal Affective Disorder (she said carb cravings are one of the symptoms!), so she told me to get a lightbox. It will be here Tuesday. Anyone have experience with them?
Hang in there Deborah...you've had a ton on your plate (not literally like eating plate), and you are doing so well.....give yourself time. And the light box for SAD really works. I have one and used it a lot in Alaska during the winter months. I would set it on a counter close to me and read for 30 minutes (newspaper at the time, but today it would be a book as we don't get a newspaper any more). I think it's 30 minutes a day and my yoga teacher told me about it. They do work. I'm glad you've got one coming in a couple days. They are bright!!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #205
Big Yapper!!!!

Deborah, I just put mine on my desk and work away, don't even think about it being there.

Depression makes it really really hard to resist carbs and the reason is, tada, carbs help depression and depression makes us crave carbs b/c they help. Vicious circle. Before I realized what was wrong and got on medication and light therapy, I would gain every winter and just be a slug, then spring would come and I would have energy again and be more active and lose the weight, until..................I got older, then I didn't lose the weight and each year piled on more. And, until you have had clinical depression or SAD, you don't have a clue as to what it means. It has nothing to do with sadness or feeling depressed b/c of a certain incident in your life, it is so hard to describe unless you are talking to someone who has it, they understand in a split second what you are describing.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Raven...I"m so excited for you.....

I had a BR surgery 12 years ago and it's the best thing I have ever done for myself! Take time to research the doctors. Ask for referrals to contact. Forget the bedside manner if they are masters in their art (mine was a glass blower who was a perfectionist....dreadful personality, but I didn't care....and I'm glad I went that route as many who chose "personality compatibility" didn't get the results I did!) You are correct about the band size thing. Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am that you are pursuing this! Did you know that it's the #1 surgery for patient appreciation, something like that. (patients were the happiest with this over any other surgery!)
Thanks Shelley!

I've wanted this for a long time. I got a tummy tuck three years ago and he removed 7 lbs of skin. I'm just SO tired of the neck, shoulder, back pain and headaches I get. Unfortunately since insurance will be paying for this I have to go to their surgeon, not the one who did my tummy tuck (he doesn't take my insurance). I have a list of things to ask him and I'll be looking at his before and after pictures as well as talking to any of his former patients. There are only three surgeons in the network and this one is the closest to my house....if I get any bad vibes I can always check out the other two.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I just received mine yesterday. I haven't used it yet as I'm going to take it to work and use it there. I sit in an office cubicle all day and I wanted something that might help with how gloomy it is most days in the winter. I finally got my Vitamin D level up (it was 14 last winter and that was taking supplements).
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Oh Deborah, sad to hear your issue, but happy that you are about to get your SAD Light. My mother used one, and it really helped her a lot. Moving??!! Such fun in cold weather! Goodness you are in overdrive. I hope you have increased your Vitamin D3??
Hi Shelley, great advice for Raven! It is so important to shop surgeons/physicians too. My favorite cousin had it done years ago, she lost 15 lbs post surgery due to the reduction. She was a different person after that surgery, a very happy person.
Raven, whatever your insurance is, if you find you don't like any of the docs, and I would call the State Board of Medicine to see if any of them have complaints too....you can request your insurance approve you on good reason to find a more suitable surgeon. I would ask for their surgical rates and complication rates from the physician, and call the Medical Staff Office at the hospitals for any public information. You can also go to Hospital Compare.com and look up any hospital in the country for more information.
Gail, that is a great loss so quick. congrats!
Hi Buffy! Hard to believe we need light boxes here in Texas! But we had clouds for 5 days until today. The sun came out!! I must get one of these SAD lights. My DDs go to the tanning salons, which I do not care for....but they do at least a few times during the winter. Makes them feel good....I guess just as going and sitting in the sun does for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
Morning everyone! May I join you all?

I am back on the wagon and looking forward to giving and receiving support!
I talk a lot, so anyone who does not know me from LCF already, feel free to ask me anything!

So far so good, day 5, and 6.6lbs down. Probably all waterweight, but after this two year up down up down up up up rollercoster I will take every ounce I can get! Had some pretty bad induction flu this weekend, but today I am definitely feeling much better. Hopefully I'll become keto-adapted soon...

xxx Chloe.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning, everybody. Welcome back, Chloe. Eating going well here since NY. Within ounces of my preholiday weight (my scales only measure whole pounds but it is wiggling toward the magic number). REally expected to get rid of the holiday four within a couple days since I thought it was just a carb/water bounce. I do get quite envious of those reporting real weight loss as I continue to be in the same couple pound range forever. Keep waiting for my whooosh that will take me to new numbers. I am on a couple of challenge threads. For me the challenge goals are behaviour related as that is all I can control. However, I am determined to find the way to break this stall. It may not be NK as LC did not work for me in the past but hoping the lower protein will eventually turn my body into a fat burning machine. I may end up having to exercise. About the only way that is going to happen is if I get an active job or brain transplant.
Closed Thread