Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Morning ya'll

Phillip, I would have gone with my nap suggestion
Yes, thanks for that, Red. Had I tweaked my back squatting 190, I might have wished I had taken the nap instead. But everything went great.

Well you know the feeling CO gives you? How would you describe it? Not really peaceful, exactly? Centered?

Hey, maybe you should give power lifting a shot? Some people say it helps their blood pressure...

--
Phillip

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We need to clear up that thing about the so-called 'example' from the Living book for future readers of the thread.

It does not address how 1300 calories are arrived at. Does that mean that 1300 calories is appropriate for all cases? No. That is impossible. I wonder what the response would have been if the question didn't match the 'example' so closely?

Dr. Phinney himself said that he wouldn't recommend a 1200 calorie a day regimen without clinical supervision.

What is the title of the Section that this 'example' comes out of? "Clinical Application".

What is the title of Chapter 16, where this 'example' is located? "The importance of dietary fat in long-term maintenance". This chapter is dedicated to convincing health care providers that fat is healthy and *must* be a part of long term maintenance.

The example assumes a clinical setting where a team of professionals can monitor you while you eat a very low calorie plan.

The example also shows 4 phases. The phases are Induction, Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance.

I wonder about the example used too because it shows a very Atkinsesque looking carb ladder since phase 1 and 2 are steady at 25g carbs (100 calories) and then in phase 3 they go up some unnamed amount and in phase 4 they go up further.
I went an read this section and found it very strange. Just like you said, Adkinesque. I remember the old Weight Watchers system had something where you would lose a fair amount of weight initially. Enough to "set the hook" and convince you to stick with the diet for a while?

Anyway, I also listened the Phinney interview by Jimmy Moore and I agree it doesn't really seem to fit with the section of Living in question.

--
Phillip
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Phillip....years ago (10?) when I was thin and taking personal training sessions 2 days a week from a magnificent trainer (male), and was "fading" and not doing well, he told me to take a TBSP of CO about 45 minutes before arriving to train. Made all the difference in the world. Even now, when I would meet the ladies in the neighborhood for a 3 mile walk up and over hills, I would take a TBSP of CO and do great....and then...discovered fat bombs. I much prefer those to plain CO! But they do the trick for me and give me good endurance for what I am about to do to my body. Glad it worked for you as well.
Thanks for the confirmation.

A TBSP is something you would want to work up to, though? I mean if your digestive tract is not already accustomed to that much fat? Might have some untoward side effects...

--
Phillip
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yep, that part is early on which is when I made my initial post. A little bit later it started going down hill lol.

I should have know that would happen from the way the host described her guest and, if nothing else, from the channel the interview was conducted on. It is called Peak whatever as a nod towards that old canard Peak Oil.
I read one of the follow on peak oil books, "Beyond Oil" by Kenneth S. Deffeyes. This was when the peak oil meme was cresting. But the book didn't really say what the meme implies -- "oh no, we are running out of oil, it is nearly all over". It pretty much said that no new oil reserves had been found in a while and that new methods would need to be deployed to obtain fossil fuels. That is pretty much what happened with the recent 'frakking' booms. It talks about Canadian oil shales and, of course, 200 years worth of coal.

--
Phillip
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all! Will check in while peeking at the Cotton Bowl game!
Darin, good news on the ROM. I am thinking of upgrading...I usually let everyone else in the family do it first, then listen to their snarks, and get something else really geeky and fun! I have a love/hate with Amazon most days! I do wish someone would just come in and make all the technology work while I am asleep! The Alamo is so disappointing in person...I remember the first time, age 6...took my DDs, they said the same thing.
Haycyn, good that Prof Major Darin stepped in with the technical stuff! Over on the recipe thread, I think there were some mayo recipes. Some of us like it (not Darin)...and once you find the homemade one that you love, it is wonderful. I use very light olive oil or walnut oil...I think Buffy had a great recipe. It's here somewhere....
Hi Raven, good news! congrats!
Punkin, I'm working hard on that "want to gain weight"....! Maintaining should be fairly easy. I would think adding muscle is the best thing at this point.
Dazy, we are alike! I can say that totally giving up sugar will change your life. Just get everyone to stand down for about three days! Keep us posted on the doc visit. If the nurse insists, tell her she can weight your hand!
Hi Deb! How are you doing through today? I learned the hard way that very low calories is not a good thing. I keep trying to train my body to accept more and not gain.
Hi Buffy, glad you had a good trip, and LOST again! wonderful.
Cici, 8 hours of sleep sounds like one of those "priceless" commercials to me! Onward to goal!
Wow Shelley, you are right....a new low is thrilling and time to celebrate! I think we need scales that cheer for us! But then again, adding sound effects could cause harm to the scale!
Cheryl, how old is DH? There could be an inflamation line here to consider, with the grains/sugar, if excessive, and that causes the arteries to catch bad particles, and thus the need for Cardiac Cath procedures. Are you killing him? Likely not....but really, in my opinion, you can't have your daily wheat/sugar cake and NK/LC too! Some sugar/wheat/grain carbs won't kill anyone (take that lightly for allergic folks)....and there is more risk with sugar, wheat, canola oil, soy products, than animal fats and meat. Most beer is heart healthy! Maybe sit down and offer alternatives to wheat/sugar. I just tried Z Sweet, leaf of stevia, it has no bitter after taste. My DH came over slowly....took one thing, then another, then getting sneaky about it all. Now he is on board. I suggest you go to Dr Al Sear's website and get info on heart disease for him....free place, best heart info. His book The Doctor's Heart Cure is A+. Try the "do it for the kids and me thing"...it won't take long to convert, 3 days for most sugar detoxing.
Hi Gail! Been a while. Welcome back. How is your side of the world? How are your kiddos?
Hi Mizz, hope you had easy traveling. Dallas is a great place to visit....Ft Worth too. Houston has a lot of offer, but the traffic can kill you, and some say our air is not so great....! Hill Country is beautiful.
Hi Phillip! LMHO! nap v. weight lifting. Hummmmm.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 01-04-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi SG61, sorry for the delay in answering ,for some reason I couldnt make the message work!
I live on the east coast of England , Norfolk to be precise.I live a short walk from the North Sea.
Barbara
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
hi butterball

im from uk too
christchurch, dorset
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Congrats on your new low.

The bouncing is fairly common I think for most of us. The CO is a good thing, it helps suppress appetite, gives us the fats we need and energy. I always have it in my morning coffee unless I am away from home.

Wow, sorry you have to stay away from so many things that are a staple in many people's LC diet.
Thanks Buffy! I remember when I was losing the majority of my weight several years ago it seemed like I would only lose weight one week out of the month....hormones more than likely. This time it seems a bit different.

I was really resistant to giving up so many of those foods. Especially the dairy. My first word was "Cheese" afterall! I had to learn to like my coffee black (although I do use a bit of raw organic cane sugar). There really is no substitute for HWC or Half and Half in coffee....and I've tried ALOT of them. Adding the CO to it has added a new dimension to it that I'm quite liking! It really seems to be raising my body temperature! I guess I've done alot of damage to my body over the years and it's just going to take a while to get everything back into kilter. The Autoimmune Paleo Protocol is used whenever you have any autoimmune diseases (I have two, maybe three) to fight inflammation in the body. I really think we can tie alot of our disease today to inflammation. I'd really like to control the ones I have with diet versus medication.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi Luigi ,I wonder if we're the only ones ?
Barbara
did you here on the news this morning that politicians were advocating banning children's breakfast cereal which had sugar in it. It would have been easier to ban the lot and advocate bacon and eggs !Cant see it happening though.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
And a New Low! 186.2

Darrin, I think you're on to something with the higher calories....I was skeptical, I admit, but I'm eating more calories now than I was eating before. My ratios tend to be 73/22/5 or somewhere in that ballpark.

My DH is now adding CO to his coffee
Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Cheryl, how old is DH? There could be an inflamation line here to consider, with the grains/sugar, if excessive, and that causes the arteries to catch bad particles, and thus the need for Cardiac Cath procedures. Are you killing him? Likely not....but really, in my opinion, you can't have your daily wheat/sugar cake and NK/LC too! Some sugar/wheat/grain carbs won't kill anyone (take that lightly for allergic folks)....and there is more risk with sugar, wheat, canola oil, soy products, than animal fats and meat. Most beer is heart healthy! Maybe sit down and offer alternatives to wheat/sugar. I just tried Z Sweet, leaf of stevia, it has no bitter after taste. My DH came over slowly....took one thing, then another, then getting sneaky about it all. Now he is on board. I suggest you go to Dr Al Sear's website and get info on heart disease for him....free place, best heart info. His book The Doctor's Heart Cure is A+. Try the "do it for the kids and me thing"...it won't take long to convert, 3 days for most sugar detoxing.
Sounds Good. DH will be 46 the 14th
He is pretty healthy aside from smokers cough and a case of plantar fascitis that seems to be getting worse. I have beeneasing them all off of sugar. I will check out the book. He has mentioned several times that he can tell how much better I feel. He even has felt really tired a few times and I told him it was a sugar crash from eating sweets. The next time he felt tired he said, must have been that cupcake.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Good morning y'all! Got back to Savannah yesterday, and we were SO happy to find that my car was still out front of the house, and no one had broken in and stolen anything. Gosh I hate Savannah, need to get to Texas ASAP!

So my diet while in Texas for the past 3 weeks can be described at sporadic at best and a complete and utter failure at worst. I tried my best to eat LCHF, but something took over almost as soon as I got there and I decided yogurt with granola for breakfast, lots of fruit throughout the day, and burrito bowls sounded like a good idea. Did that for a few days, then ditched it and went back to LCHF, but it is SO HARD to do that when eating out for almost every single meal. I'd always go over on protein.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to say the overabundance of protein made me crave sugar! Because, well what can I say? It called to me.. cookies, brownies, frozen yogurt, chocolate cake, etc. It happened. Often. Oh, did I mention I dabbled in Paleo for a few days? Never felt more awful in my life!

Anyway, I was terrified to get on the scales when I got home. Was positive I gained about 10 pounds in Texas.. this morning, the final verdict was 126.2 So I gained 1.4 pounds during a 3 week free for all! Not bad and I'll be starting a fat fast (modified, with protein at the end of the day) for a few days. Went grocery shopping as soon as I got home and stocked up on HWC, cream cheese, brie, macadamia nuts, etc for that. Also finishing up my New Rules of Lifting for Women book today and getting into the gym starting Monday or so to get that started.

Whew that was long winded! Will be posting some responses to previous posts next. Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Buffy- congrats on the loss! I don't know how you made it through toffee season, that would be way too much temptation for me. I love how much personality Austin has, it is so appealing to me! Not to mention UT-- the Sailor is an alum (as is the rest of his family), and I LOVED the campus and area. We got to a couple basketball games while we were here. Loved it.

Cici-What recipe do you use for the fat bombs? I so need to try them out!

Gail-welcome back!

Raven- congrats on the new low!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Welcome back Gail

Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #165
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
subscribing to NK
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning everyone.

Went to bed and woke up again today with a bad headache. I had another chiro appt. yesterday and an adjustment, he said it might make the headache worse temporarily. Have another appt. Monday and if it isn't better, will make appt. with my regular Dr., this has to stop.

Mizz, having a bite of each batch of toffee was enough, with the amount that I made. Funny how I tasted that all month long and lost almost 10 lbs. Maybe that's the secret!!
So happy you like Austin, I think it is a neat place. Sounds like you covered all the bases in carbland, so come on back to LCland and get going again. Lucky to have gained so little!

Raven, congrats on the new low, you are doing great. Red finally convinced me to try higher calories and once I did and didn't gain, it really helped me get over my fear of higher calories. Since I am not logging right now, I don't know for sure but I don't think my calories are that high most days just because I don't have much of an appetite, but, I don't worry about them at all. I just worry about getting enough protein in, keeping the carbs low and eat fat to be satisfied.

Wow, if they would ban sugary cereals I think the world economics would crash or something, although they should. I used to love cereal, still would love to eat it if I could, I never liked the new sugary ones, I grew up with oatmeal, cream of wheat, wheaties, cornflakes, etc. but my kids grew up loving the sugar ones and eats boxes and boxes of them, I didn't realize how bad they were. Wow
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
I went an read this section and found it very strange. Just like you said, Adkinesque. I remember the old Weight Watchers system had something where you would lose a fair amount of weight initially. Enough to "set the hook" and convince you to stick with the diet for a while?

Anyway, I also listened the Phinney interview by Jimmy Moore and I agree it doesn't really seem to fit with the section of Living in question.

--
Phillip
Since the section was Clinical Application I wonder if they weren't falling back on old material. Well. Not 'old' temporally but established tried and true worked in their clinical practices and was easy to structure and train the staff on type thing. No sense reinventing the wheel when the clinical version of Atkins is very efficacious and well documented.

WW must be feeling the squeeze because they seem to feel the need to reinvent themselves every year for the last several years.

It is almost like they hired a bunch of MS engineers and executives that are pushing upgrades every year lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #168
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Hi Luigi ,I wonder if we're the only ones ?
Barbara
did you here on the news this morning that politicians were advocating banning children's breakfast cereal which had sugar in it. It would have been easier to ban the lot and advocate bacon and eggs !Cant see it happening though.
We consider you guys to be from a remote easterly part of Texas.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, thanks for that, Red. Had I tweaked my back squatting 190, I might have wished I had taken the nap instead. But everything went great.

Well you know the feeling CO gives you? How would you describe it? Not really peaceful, exactly? Centered?

Hey, maybe you should give power lifting a shot? Some people say it helps their blood pressure...

--
Phillip
I won't rule out exercise entirely but I get a lot of smug satisfaction out of losing weight and keeping it off without any more exertion than lifting the 1.5 pound thick cut T-Bone out of the fridge to set on the counter.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey, I drove by it last year but had no desire to actually go see it-- it just looked like a tourist attraction, like you noted. We spent a few days in Bulverde this year, which is just north of San Antonio. Austin is my favorite Texas city, but I love SA a lot too!
SA is a pretty town but the whole place is like one of them big gas stations on the interstate that has a whole lot of Texas memorabilia displayed for the tourist heh.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I read one of the follow on peak oil books, "Beyond Oil" by Kenneth S. Deffeyes. This was when the peak oil meme was cresting. But the book didn't really say what the meme implies -- "oh no, we are running out of oil, it is nearly all over". It pretty much said that no new oil reserves had been found in a while and that new methods would need to be deployed to obtain fossil fuels. That is pretty much what happened with the recent 'frakking' booms. It talks about Canadian oil shales and, of course, 200 years worth of coal.

--
Phillip
It is a crime that passionate scaremongering un-reality rhetoric rules the roost where energy is concerned.

Gosh, I was just listening to a podcast that discussed anti-science energy policies while interviewing the authors of Science Left Behind. They had some surprising things to say about nuclear energy.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #172
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
The Alamo is so disappointing in person
*That* is it in a nutshell. Disappointing.

Texas has a lot of history but The Alamo and the importance of it to the state's history makes it singular in nature. It is such a travesty that it has been reduced to a flea circus and not a very good one at that.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
And a New Low! 186.2

Darrin, I think you're on to something with the higher calories....I was skeptical, I admit, but I'm eating more calories now than I was eating before. My ratios tend to be 73/22/5 or somewhere in that ballpark.

My DH is now adding CO to his coffee
Hooray!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to say the overabundance of protein made me crave sugar!
Well well well.

That is interesting. I hadn't really considered it in this sort of situation but protein does have an insulinogenic effect.

Dang.

I say dang because I have advocated protein many times as the best of bad choices if you were caught out and had to choose menu items off the cuff.

I will modify what I say to always say 'the fattiest protein available'.

So glad you mentioned your experience
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Well well well.

That is interesting. I hadn't really considered it in this sort of situation but protein does have an insulinogenic effect.

Dang.

I say dang because I have advocated protein many times as the best of bad choices if you were caught out and had to choose menu items off the cuff.

I also always say, well, if you have no choices, just eat protein, so now I will say, just order butter, a big, big bowl of butter.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well well well.

Dang.

Hey Red, I say this because, since I was eating out so much, my diet was VERY protein heavy. I'd often end up between 140-160 protein grams a day! And later at night during these protein heavy days, I'd start craving sugar. At one point it seemed like a piece of Mexican Chocolate cake sounded better than winning the lottery.

I figured I had hit the point where my protein started being converted to glucose (is that right? glucinogenesis or whatever it is when you overeat protein?).. anyway, that was my reasoning for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I also always say, well, if you have no choices, just eat protein, so now I will say, just order butter, a big, big bowl of butter.
I think if I get caught in this situation again, I'd just order a mixed green salad and drench it in olive oil. Or maybe a side of fresh steamed veggies covered in butter. Even the ribeyes and smother chicken dishes I was eating still had a lot of protein.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
lol!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #179
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hey Red, I say this because, since I was eating out so much, my diet was VERY protein heavy. I'd often end up between 140-160 protein grams a day! And later at night during these protein heavy days, I'd start craving sugar. At one point it seemed like a piece of Mexican Chocolate cake sounded better than winning the lottery.

I figured I had hit the point where my protein started being converted to glucose (is that right? glucinogenesis or whatever it is when you overeat protein?).. anyway, that was my reasoning for it.
Yes gluconeogenesis is right. But from what I understand, short of actually converting protein to glucose, protein can raise insulin levels. Sort of a double whammy in your situation in Austin.

*That* is why NK can be so effective as a stall buster or weight loser if you aren't starving your body for calories.

If your eating just enough protein that the body needs then any insulinogenic effect will be minimized, gluconeogenesis is very unlikely *and* your body isn't flooded with coritsol from the stress of a short supply of calories.

It is very interesting that your gain was so small. It implies that despite everything you did not get so far afield that the kidneys started retaining water the way they do with a high carb woe. That shores up my thinking on recommending protein as the best of a bad situation [now modified to 'fattiest protein available'].

Even if the blue lave thing was at it's low end your cumulative water weight gain would only be about 5 pounds and that is unusually low for high carb water retention.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation.

A TBSP is something you would want to work up to, though? I mean if your digestive tract is not already accustomed to that much fat? Might have some untoward side effects...

--
Phillip
Excellent point!!!! I made some 1/2 size (1/2 TBSP CO ones) and had them in little mini candy papers (like peanut butter cups candies) and handed them out to the ladies I walked with (after telling them how much easier it was to walk up the steep hill after having one before leaving the house). I took one for each of them and they loved them and wanted a 2nd one. So, the next day I took 2 for each of them (i.e., a full TBSP in 2). Oh my...did I hear about it from a couple of them the next morning. Ooops. Yes, work up to anything that contains coconut oil for sure!