Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #841
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I saw that rubidoux had posted a thread about having a hard time meeting protein requirements.

I bet it is not an uncommon problem. I've experienced it myself looking towards the end of the day, not particularly hungry and needing to get 30 or 40 grams in to be at or close to my protein goal.

What works for me is recognizing that NK's appetite suppression (LC too) is not the same thing as being stuffed from eating or snacking all day.

You feel satiated because your body is using your body fat for energy. That is exactly what everyone wants. So far so good.

But no one wants to lose lean body mass so you need to eat the appropriate amount of protein to minimize LBM losses.

Eat.

Think about it. If you have consumed very low calories for the day, and that is almost always the case in this situation, there is room in your tummy.

[edited to add]
I forgot to mention! If protein goal is a challenge for you a good strategy is to consider what you are eating with your protein or the fattiness of your protein. Instead of having two eggs and two bacon slices have six slices of bacon and forego the eggs. Or eat a leaner meat so the fat doesn't make you too full to get adequate protein. Maybe the non-lite version of muscle milk if you don't like to eat breakfast. The banana cream is super good.
[end edit]

You might get caught flat footed at the end of the day without realizing you are way below your protein goal. Once in a while is nothing to worry about. But if it happens a lot that is a problem.

In that case you need to get protein in earlier in the day. Start eating breakfast if that is not your habit. Have a high protein shake with/for lunch. Spread your protein out over the day and at the end of the day if you aren't hungry but need to eat 25g it isn't such a mountain to climb. And you can eat, say, 15g and call it good.

In the other case, you've eaten protein during the day but now it is evening and you aren't hungry but you are still too far from your protein goal buckle down and eat something.

And, in this situation, it doesn't have to be a meal. Just eat the protein part. The chicken breast. The ham and cheese rollups. The shrimp. Forget the sides. You don't need them and you aren't particularly hungry anyway.

There are about 9g of protein in an oz of meat.

If you need 90g of protein then you need to eat about 10oz of meat. It isn't very much meat if you have a couple of oz at breakfast and 5oz at lunch. Who among us couldn't munch on 3oz of chicken breast fried in bacon grease? Not a big plate of food. Just a lonely 3oz piece of chicken. Looking up at you. Crying out to you to sacrifice it to save your LBM, silently mouthing infinite diversity in infinite combinations, reminding you that LC is the proverbial rose garden that Ms. Anderson spoke of.
thanks, I needed that pep talk

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #842
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Are there allergies that don't involve sneezing, watery eyes and runny noses?

My whole face has been flushed on and off all day. My sinuses do feel a little stuffy but not a lot. I took an OTC sinus pill and a naproxen sodium pill this morning.

Also my facial skin and my neck are sensitive to the touch. Even untouched my face feels strange which I assume is from the flush. I checked my BP and it is a bit high but not rush to the ER high.

The only thing I can think of is that I upped my fish oil about 7 days ago.

I jumped off the roof earlier on the off chance that I was developing super powers but that was a negatory.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #843
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Are there allergies that don't involve sneezing, watery eyes and runny noses?

My whole face has been flushed on and off all day. My sinuses do feel a little stuffy but not a lot. I took an OTC sinus pill and a naproxen sodium pill this morning.

Also my facial skin and my neck are sensitive to the touch. Even untouched my face feels strange which I assume is from the flush. I checked my BP and it is a bit high but not rush to the ER high.

The only thing I can think of is that I upped my fish oil about 7 days ago.

I jumped off the roof earlier on the off chance that I was developing super powers but that was a negatory.
LOL. sorry the super powers weren't the cause.

Allergies can effect people differently. Hives, coughing, rashes.
Facial flushing can be caused by allergies, either to food or environment.
Have you changes any soaps, detergents, cleaning proucts?
We ate a restaurant once and I began to cough, alot. As we were leaving I began to get hives and my DH and kids swore I turned orange LOL
I thought they were crazy but they were adament. I laughed at them. They, to this day, will not go back to that restaurant.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #844
Major LCF Poster!

Todays Numbers

Calories 1551

fat 126 74%
Protein 86 23%
carbs 11 3%

Breakfast venison and eggs cooked in butter
lunch chorizo and eggs
dinner hamburger with lettuce and pickles
snack 2 squares lindt 85% cocoa
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #845
Blabbermouth!!!

Orange? That is strange!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #846
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I hit my protein goal today and even went over a little bit. But calories not so much. Right at 1500. But only 6 total carbs for the day.

I ended up having to take my own advice about getting the protein in there at the end. I just fried up some tilapia and it was actually quite tasty.

In other news, I did notice a small rash near my collar bone. I hope whatever it is it is gone tomorrow.

Gonna try to crash early tonight. I'm zonked.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #847
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Take care of yourself, Red. Hopefully it clears up quickly.

Day 7, checking in. Successfully stayed on plan for one week! I can't tell you how long it's been since i could say that. Since Thanksgiving, at least I think.

Now my plan is to keep eating the same thing 7 more days. It took most of this week to get into ketosis. Now i want to see if eating this way actually creates a weight-loss. Here's hoping!

Yvonne
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #848
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Thanks for all the welcomes! Still getting to know you all, but I will get there eventually

Reddarin - sorry to hear about your rash. I've been dealing with mysterious red itchy rashes since starting NK, and nothing seems to work consistently on them. Hope yours clears up soon!

Deb - The egg yolks are from hard-boiled eggs. I usually dump the whites because otherwise my protein gets pushed too high.

Southern Girl - The carnitas is really great - one of my staples. It has 12g protein and 8g fat per 2 oz, so it fits really well into NK. Though the way I eat it, I wouldn't really consider it Mexican food... hmm maybe with some avocado and sour cream I could swing it that way.

Yvonne - I find the smoked sardines aren't as fishy tasting, so maybe you'll be able to enjoy those? The egg does help too. And congrats on one whole week! You seem to be off to a great start.

Have a great night everyone!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

sorry your feeling bad Darrin.
Hope you feel better soon. benedryl can be a life saver.

My aunt flo finally showed up very late.
As soon as she got here everyone else moved out, by that I mean the weight I had gained
Back to 158 this am
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #850
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post

Day 7, checking in. Successfully stayed on plan for one week! I can't tell you how long it's been since i could say that. Since Thanksgiving, at least I think.

Now my plan is to keep eating the same thing 7 more days. It took most of this week to get into ketosis. Now i want to see if eating this way actually creates a weight-loss. Here's hoping!

Yvonne
Congrats. That is an awsome achievement!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #851
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post

Yvonne
Good job Yvonne!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #852
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Reddarin - sorry to hear about your rash. I've been dealing with mysterious red itchy rashes since starting NK, and nothing seems to work consistently on them. Hope yours clears up soon!
Really?!?

i'm glad to hear it heh. Commonality and solution are kissing cousins. The Lone Ranger and Tanto. Luke and Laura on the island.

I've read that metabolic garbage accumulates in fat tissue. So once you start burning body fat for fuel that garbage is released back into your system. I know that after I'd lost a lot of weight I started getting warts. I think I ended up having a dozen altogether. Mostly on my fingers but a two or three near my eyebrow/temple area. I used organic Bragg's ACV to get rid of them.

But the flush and rash are new for me. Could it be from the carby corn products I was eating?

Oh! I forgot. Before my face and neck thing I had developed a small patch of dry itchy skin on the back of my left hand. It is different from the new thing and it has been hanging around for a couple of weeks now. I haven't tried a topical steroid, like hydrocortisone, yet but I will this weekend. Have you tried that?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #853
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm working on getting February's thread up
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #854
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Red - I know that when I eat grains, I get a flushed face and a runny nose. That could be the cause of your congestion? I did try hydrocortisone and it didn't work, and neither did benadryl. This is going to sound weird but I rubbed coconut oil on the patch on my back every day after showering and that seemed to help it clear up. So maybe try it on your hand first and see if that makes a difference!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Just letting all no made it here very nice trip!!PR is not what I thought it would be like!!!!all the houses have bars on them!!my son-law is fed..police officer so he carried his gun!!Im glad. We did have a great dinner last night.going sight seeing today!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #856
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Just letting all no made it here very nice trip!!PR is not what I thought it would be like!!!!all the houses have bars on them!!my son-law is fed..police officer so he carried his gun!!Im glad. We did have a great dinner last night.going sight seeing today!
They must have heard us talking about taking their robes

Keep us posted Becky! How's the weather??? Have ya'll hit the beach yet?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #857
Blabbermouth!!!

The new thread is up!

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - February Version

I'll get the admins to lock this thread. See ya'll over there!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #858
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Red - I know that when I eat grains, I get a flushed face and a runny nose. That could be the cause of your congestion? I did try hydrocortisone and it didn't work, and neither did benadryl. This is going to sound weird but I rubbed coconut oil on the patch on my back every day after showering and that seemed to help it clear up. So maybe try it on your hand first and see if that makes a difference!
I have used CO on my hands. No improvement yet but I've only done it for a few days. I used to use CO on my hands a lot a couple of months ago but stopped for some reason.

No grains for 15 days or so I think. No wheat for sure. I went wheat-free last year.
Closed Thread