Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #811
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

I am keeping up with you all, not completely on plan, not doing much except trying to get stronger. I will be back one of these days though!
How are you feeling/doing?

Get some of those ninja finger exercisers so you can get back to the thread as soon as possible

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been following this thread for a few months now but never worked up the courage to post. But you are all so friendly and supportive of each other that I finally decided to wade into the fray! For now, I'll just start by posting today's menu. Comments are very welcome!

B: 3 strips bacon; 1 egg yolk; 2T cream cheese; coffee with HWC and CO
L: 1 tin smoked sardines in olive oil; 1 egg yolk; mixed greens; 2T sour cream
D: 4 oz Trader Joe's Carnitas; baby spinach; 2T sour cream
Snacks: 1 oz triple creme brie; unsweetened chocolate almond milk with 2T HWC; 2T cream cheese

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

- zgirl
Nice to meet you.
Thanks for posting your menu. I like that cause it gives me ideas for changing things up a little.
What are Carnitas? Sounds good. I have never tried sardines but that Dr Gundry podcast went on and on about how good they were for you. I might work up the nerve to try some. I know Becky likes them. Is there any brand that you reccommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

I am keeping up with you all, not completely on plan, not doing much except trying to get stronger. I will be back one of these days though!
Thanks for checking in. Did the Dr have any ideas about the meds making you tired?
Hope your Grandson is doing well.
Miss you.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
How are you feeling/doing?

Get some of those ninja finger exercisers so you can get back to the thread as soon as possible
What in the world are Ninja fingers.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #814
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I've been following this thread for a few months now but never worked up the courage to post. But you are all so friendly and supportive of each other that I finally decided to wade into the fray! For now, I'll just start by posting today's menu. Comments are very welcome!

Snacks: 1 oz triple creme brie; unsweetened chocolate almond milk with 2T HWC; 2T cream cheese

- zgirl
Hi zgirl! Welcome to our thread

Menu looks really awesome!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #815
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
What in the world are Ninja fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finger2.jpg (4.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #816
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheryl I'm glad you saw zgirl's post. I missed it because my post moved us to the next page.

That has happened several times to me. It gives me an idea too
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

LoL Darrin your a HOOT.
I got ta Gets me some of those. lol

Numbers for today
Calories 1578

Fat 111 67%
protein 113 30%
carbs 9 2.5%

I finally weighed today.
I have put on 2 lbs and they will not budge.
I think it is from exercise. But, my DD14 saw me posting this and she said I had to say that I still ROCK
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cheryl I'm glad you saw zgirl's post. I missed it because my post moved us to the next page.

That has happened several times to me. It gives me an idea too
I love it when a plan comes together
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #819
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Thanks for the welcome, Clueless and Reddarin!

Clueless, carnitas is roasted and shredded pork. I buy already cooked it at Trader Joe's in a vacuum sealed pack and just heat it up in the microwave (I'm a student living in residence, so I have to rely on prepared foods). It's delicious and the stats are great.

I also buy the sardines at Trader Joe's - they are lightly smoked and packed in olive oil. I never thought I liked sardines because I'd only tasted them canned in tomato sauce, but I really enjoy these. I just mix up a can with hard boiled egg, some of the oil, sea salt, and red chili flakes and it makes a tasty and filling salad!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, Clueless and Reddarin!

Clueless, carnitas is roasted and shredded pork. I buy already cooked it at Trader Joe's in a vacuum sealed pack and just heat it up in the microwave (I'm a student living in residence, so I have to rely on prepared foods). It's delicious and the stats are great.

I also buy the sardines at Trader Joe's - they are lightly smoked and packed in olive oil. I never thought I liked sardines because I'd only tasted them canned in tomato sauce, but I really enjoy these. I just mix up a can with hard boiled egg, some of the oil, sea salt, and red chili flakes and it makes a tasty and filling salad!
Hummm, The sardine salad sounds so easy. Becky said we have a trader joe in the city about 30 to 45 minutes away. I don't get out much but Trader joe is on my list if we go. Wish we had a whole foods or trader joes local.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #821
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow I had a hard time eating enough today. Feels good

My calories were low at 1688 and my protein was a little bit low but in the ballpark at 98g.

Calories would have been really low if I didn't finish the day with an ounce of CO. Tomorrow I am going to make sure I get my 2000 cals in. I screwed around and ate lunch sort of late today.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #822
Blabbermouth!!!

Carnitas. Good stuff! I love Mexican food.

Some Hispanic comedian was talking about that "No, I don't want to go out to eat 'Mexican food'. To me it is just 'food'."

lol
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #823
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Welcome, Zgirl! I hated sardines as a kid. Maybe it's time to give it another try. It seems like the way you make it with egg would "dilute" some of the fishy flavor. Neat idea.

Just checking in. On track, day 6. I forgot how stale my mouth gets in ketosis, and how I smell! No skipping showers! But it's so worth it for the appetite suppression. Otherwise, I can eat all day.

Cheryl, hope you can find a solution for your mom.
Yvonne
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #824
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Thanks ct,
Mom is pretty active, she does shopping and cooking and cleaning, vacuming, all that housework. Then they have a few little getaways they are always headed to. She helps take care of those places too. But the weight trainging dad was wanting her to we were not sure about. since lifting weights builds muscle by first tearing the muscle, didn't know if her body could repair the muscle.
I will looko into the creatine. She has celiacs and has it bad. Has to be careful with anything she eat. Lots of food allergies.
The pain isn't just in her legs, she has alot of pain in her arms and shoulders and especially in her hip.
Thanks
Celiacs will need a gluten-free kind, like Mircronized Creatine Monohydrate. That said, actvity is great, but weight-bearing is vital....walking at least 30 minutes a day is a low risk start. Perhaps have her add some stretches at home, and leg lifts standing...using the body as weights per se. Weight training with arms and legs to start should not cause harm, if the work-up at home helps. Pain during weight lifting is a sign to stop and think about what you are doing. Is she tested for vitamin deficiency? Too many eat the non-gluten carbs and have more issues. Pain in arms, shoulders and hip....stretching, and inversion could help there.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #825
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning ya'll!

Does anyone else use those disposable plastic food service gloves at home? Sam's has a two box, 500 in each box, pack for about $8.

I love those things. I cannot stand to forego washing my hands if I handle the least icky thing and, as a germophobe, icky cuts a wide swath through my daily life. Particularly if I am handling raw meat. I might wash my hands 6 times doing that if I didn't have the gloves.
Good price, I use these too, hate meat under my nails!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone!

- zgirl
Welcome Zgirl! Trader Joe's Carnitas??? Will have to try this stuff.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #827
Blabbermouth!!!

I saw that rubidoux had posted a thread about having a hard time meeting protein requirements.

I bet it is not an uncommon problem. I've experienced it myself looking towards the end of the day, not particularly hungry and needing to get 30 or 40 grams in to be at or close to my protein goal.

What works for me is recognizing that NK's appetite suppression (LC too) is not the same thing as being stuffed from eating or snacking all day.

You feel satiated because your body is using your body fat for energy. That is exactly what everyone wants. So far so good.

But no one wants to lose lean body mass so you need to eat the appropriate amount of protein to minimize LBM losses.

Eat.

Think about it. If you have consumed very low calories for the day, and that is almost always the case in this situation, there is room in your tummy.

[edited to add]
I forgot to mention! If protein goal is a challenge for you a good strategy is to consider what you are eating with your protein or the fattiness of your protein. Instead of having two eggs and two bacon slices have six slices of bacon and forego the eggs. Or eat a leaner meat so the fat doesn't make you too full to get adequate protein. Maybe the non-lite version of muscle milk if you don't like to eat breakfast. The banana cream is super good.
[end edit]

You might get caught flat footed at the end of the day without realizing you are way below your protein goal. Once in a while is nothing to worry about. But if it happens a lot that is a problem.

In that case you need to get protein in earlier in the day. Start eating breakfast if that is not your habit. Have a high protein shake with/for lunch. Spread your protein out over the day and at the end of the day if you aren't hungry but need to eat 25g it isn't such a mountain to climb. And you can eat, say, 15g and call it good.

In the other case, you've eaten protein during the day but now it is evening and you aren't hungry but you are still too far from your protein goal buckle down and eat something.

And, in this situation, it doesn't have to be a meal. Just eat the protein part. The chicken breast. The ham and cheese rollups. The shrimp. Forget the sides. You don't need them and you aren't particularly hungry anyway.

There are about 9g of protein in an oz of meat.

If you need 90g of protein then you need to eat about 10oz of meat. It isn't very much meat if you have a couple of oz at breakfast and 5oz at lunch. Who among us couldn't munch on 3oz of chicken breast fried in bacon grease? Not a big plate of food. Just a lonely 3oz piece of chicken. Looking up at you. Crying out to you to sacrifice it to save your LBM, silently mouthing infinite diversity in infinite combinations, reminding you that LC is the proverbial rose garden that Ms. Anderson spoke of.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-30-2013 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: More stuff
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #828
Blabbermouth!!!

Dang I am up late! Night ya'll.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #829
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Great posts D!!! made me laugh and informative as always
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Celiacs will need a gluten-free kind, like Mircronized Creatine Monohydrate. That said, actvity is great, but weight-bearing is vital....walking at least 30 minutes a day is a low risk start. Perhaps have her add some stretches at home, and leg lifts standing...using the body as weights per se. Weight training with arms and legs to start should not cause harm, if the work-up at home helps. Pain during weight lifting is a sign to stop and think about what you are doing. Is she tested for vitamin deficiency? Too many eat the non-gluten carbs and have more issues. Pain in arms, shoulders and hip....stretching, and inversion could help there.
Thanks so much ct. I am so blessed to have found this board. I am on it. I am gonna try to get her to get some blood work to check for vitamin defencies. My parents have always taken really good care of themselves.
I was talking to another family member and she was like "Oh well nothing we can do about it. She just old and thats why she has these problems." I said I do not accept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Welcome, Zgirl! I hated sardines as a kid. Maybe it's time to give it another try. It seems like the way you make it with egg would "dilute" some of the fishy flavor. Neat idea.

Just checking in. On track, day 6. I forgot how stale my mouth gets in ketosis, and how I smell! No skipping showers! But it's so worth it for the appetite suppression. Otherwise, I can eat all day.

Cheryl, hope you can find a solution for your mom.
Yvonne
Thanks Yvonnem.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #831
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
she was like "Oh well nothing we can do about it. She just old and thats why she has these problems."
Sadly typical thinking.

That right there is why a books like Wheat Belly and Why We Get Fat are so important.

Is frailty with age really normal? Less resilient sure, there is no doubt that as we age we get less resilient but 'less resilient' has become frail to the point of fragility and healthy elderly people are the exception rather than the rule as in times past.

WB and WWGF blow up the dogma with which mainstream nutrition has shackled us. They open up the dialog on adjunct questions like health as we age.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

Well! Google Chrome extensions and I are once again BFF! I admit that I was disconsolate when we were just FWB because the chemistry wasn't there and it seemed like I was the only one that cared

We are palling around with Komodo Edit and Jquery. There was talk about forming a commune but Jquery pointed out that a guy living alone in the woods with friends that less enlightened people would call 'imaginary' might run afoul of local law professionals. I pointed out that Jeremiah Johnson did okay and Komodo Edit ended the debate by mentioning Brian Keith and The Mountain Men.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #833
Blabbermouth!!!

Are you wondering how your actual protein intake stacks up to the 1.5g/kg goal amount? How far off from 1.5g you were?

The formula is ProteinGrams/(goal_weight/2.2).

If my ideal weight is 130 then my protein goal is (130/2.2)*1.5 or ~88g of protein.

If I ate 70g for the day then:

70/(130/2.2) = 1.18g/kg

So you can see that is not great but not plummeting to the earth in flames either.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sadly typical thinking.

That right there is why a books like Wheat Belly and Why We Get Fat are so important.

Is frailty with age really normal? Less resilient sure, there is no doubt that as we age we get less resilient but 'less resilient' has become frail to the point of fragility and healthy elderly people are the exception rather than the rule as in times past.

WB and WWGF blow up the dogma with which mainstream nutrition has shackled us. They open up the dialog on adjunct questions like health as we age.
So true!
If things keep up the way they are healthy ANYONE will be the exception rather than the rule.
I could go on for hours about the so called "healthy" food I am REQUIRED to provide for the children I care for. But thats another topic.

2 other ladies I know are on statins and I told one about all the terrible things statins do to you. My Mom told the other. They both just keep on taking it. Because the Dr said it was good for them. Both complain about being tired, aches and pains, somedays not being able to get out of bed. They just shrug us off like oh well, nothing we can do about it.

My FIL had dr try to put him on statins and a few other meds. He flat refused and argued the Dr a blue streak. He is 70 and can out work any one that you could put up against him. He only this year got indoor plumbing. He hauled in all his water from the spring. He cuts down trees and spits his own wood for all his heating. Raises alot of the foods he eat. Eats side meat and pork ribs weekly.

I sure wish I had paid more attention and knew what my mom was taking. Untill all this I knew nothing about statins.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #835
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well! Google Chrome extensions and I are once again BFF! I admit that I was disconsolate when we were just FWB because the chemistry wasn't there and it seemed like I was the only one that cared

We are palling around with Komodo Edit and Jquery. There was talk about forming a commune but Jquery pointed out that a guy living alone in the woods with friends that less enlightened people would call 'imaginary' might run afoul of local law professionals. I pointed out that Jeremiah Johnson did okay and Komodo Edit ended the debate by mentioning Brian Keith and The Mountain Men.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #836
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Deb34, is there a special sour cream that's so high in fat? Or is that typical? I use Daisy, because it has a short list of ingredients.
Not sure about the US but in my area(not US) there is a brand called "Western". It's the only one I know of that has 30% fat. There may be premium sour cream products made by companies you know.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #837
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
Deb, have you tried taking a potassium pill for the shakes? Quite by chance I discovered that the shakes I get every morning when my Adderall kicks in go away when I added a potassium supplement to my regimen. In fact, I added a salt pill to balance it out because I found it too calming. It might have nothing to do with cortisol, but the change was wonderful. My mother, who takes Ritalin, also noticed an improvement when she started taking it. We both have anxiety disorders and ADHD, so we are both old friends with the shakes.
I take a potassium tablet every few days along with my sea salt. I wonder if I should take one every day...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #838
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I bought up some of those before I let my sams membership expire. They are really nice to have. I am the same way with meat and everything. Chicken is the worst.
Now they say don't rinse chicken cause it contaminates your sink, no duh! I always clean my sink after I wash chicken. That would be common sense I thought.
I always wash my chicken with vinegar water, that takes care of the nasty slime. Big bowl of water, about 1 cup of white vinegar- let chicken sit in this for about 10 minutes, then wash well.

Quote:
Hmmmm. Have those people ever handled slimy chicken? Yuk. I am rinsing that sucker off. And you are right it is real easy to spritz some bleach based kitchen cleaner into the sink to sanitize it.

But I rinse all of my meat before I cook it. Except for ground meat of course. Dad put me on to that years ago - rinsing off the blood that can affect the flavor of your steak or whatever.
I also wash whole cuts of whatever meat I cook, especially if you get beef from a local meat cutter or farmer, often there are bone fragments on the meat still.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #839
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I always wash my chicken with vinegar water, that takes care of the nasty slime. Big bowl of water, about 1 cup of white vinegar- let chicken sit in this for about 10 minutes, then wash well.
I forgot all about that. When I was in HS I worked for Kentucky Fried Chicken. A few times when we had raw chicken that was slated to be thrown out the next day but we needed to use it because we had sold more than projected the manager had us soak it in a vinegar solution.

Great tip Deb
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #840
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone!

- zgirl
Zgirl- i'm curious how you do the egg yolks by themselves, are they raw, or do you boil the egg and toss the white?
Closed Thread