Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #781
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
we just found out on Thurs. that our grandson who is 13 has type I diabetes. I know it will be ok but I am beyond upset right now. Would do anything to take that away but I can't.
Buffy I'm sorry to hear that about your GS. Any idea what his Vitamin D status is? along with A and K? There are several links online mentioning Vitamin D deficiency being linked to Diabetes 1. Of course supplementing D alone wont' help but since A, D and K all work together maybe something could be done early to prevent more systemic damage? Just a thought....and A and D come together in a neat tidy package as Cod Liver Oil....
Deb34 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #782
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Way to go! I'd count that as an NSV!
lol
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #783
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Made some fat bombs for the first time tonight...butter, almond butter, coconut oil, chilled and then dipped in some Lindt 85%...

Dinner WAS going to be grilled steak with garlic & herb Kerrygold... I decided on two of these babies instead. SO GOOD.

I foresee NO problems of keeping my protein down in the future anymore.
Mizzcase, I have the opposite problem from you. I have a hard time making sure my protein is enough! I have no issue with eating pure fat(i'm a butter snacker ) I have issues eating a big enough portion of Protein at each meal. My stomach revolts at about the 3-4 oz point and I have to force the rest, being careful not to gag or vomit. Sorry TMI! I'm always amazed at the people who can eat in the 80 to 100 gm with no issues...
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #784
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
My pork, jalapeno and broccoli stir fry rescued my terrible pork.

I took some sour cream and mixed in a little Gringo Bandito hot sauce. It was a tasty dredge for the meat and the broccoli.

reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #785
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Mizzcase, I have the opposite problem from you. I have a hard time making sure my protein is enough! I have no issue with eating pure fat(i'm a butter snacker ) I have issues eating a big enough portion of Protein at each meal. My stomach revolts at about the 3-4 oz point and I have to force the rest, being careful not to gag or vomit. Sorry TMI! I'm always amazed at the people who can eat in the 80 to 100 gm with no issues...
Have you tried pushing your protein up with a protein shake?

Or shrimp? I think we googled it a month or two ago and it is a great high protein low cal no carb food. I use it a lot to tweak protein up, manage fat and keep calories reasonable.

Maybe protein powder in a fat bomb?
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #786
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I've done it too, it's even better when you have 30% fat sour cream!!
What flavors do you like Deb?
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #787
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Cortisol.

It is a hormone that is released when we are under duress. It makes it hard to use body fat for energy. Comparable to insulin in result but not mechanism/process.

Too much cortisol makes the body (actively) hold on to fat. He says that at the 23 minute mark in the context of maintaining too much of a calorie deficit which floods the body with cortisol. But the salient point is that cortisol is not your friend for weight loss.
Just to give an example of how cortisol can treat you badly. I've been struggling for a year to lower my cortisol so that I don't get mysterious tremors that look like Parkinsons everytime I feel anxious or stressed or upset about something. I've been doing really well but last night I had a nightmare about my wallet being stolen and you know the horror that is. It was one of those dreams you have a hard time coming out of even in the light of morning so I woke up to a cortisol overload with the shakes and tremors. It's taken me most of the day drinking salt water, my Relora capsules and vitamin C to get me where my hands don't shake and I don't feel like I'm experiencing an earthquake(I feel like the furniture is swaying and rocking usually).

When cortisol has the upper hand, it's a real PIG to deal with! I'll have to find some time to listen to the talk you mentioned.
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Never been able to cook pork ribs
I've been too intimidated to try.
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #789
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Do any of you have any advice for me about Statins.
My Mom has been off of them for 8+ months now and is still in pain. We were hoping she would recovery but it is looking grim. I searched the internet and have her taking coQ10, and told her today to start back on Vitamin D.
My dad wants her to go to the gym and see if she can rebuild some muscle but she is hesitant. For one thing she doesn't feel well enough to lift weights. For another I believe that if her body could repair the muscle tissue it would. working out may make it worse.
She is 74 and man that woman could go like a freight train before the statins. Now she just hurts and is weak.
I get so angry I want to cry.
Her cholesterol was 200 when her dr put her on statins. Dr did not discuss side effects or anything with her.
Do you know anything or anyone we can talk to that could help?
generally it's better to take D with A and Vitamin K2- they all work synergistically (sp?) and to take one without the others can cause problems.
Google "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox" should bring you to Amazon. Fantastic book on Vitamin K2

My goodness I'm just blabbering non-stop today aren't I? I'll stop now.
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #790
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
What flavors do you like Deb?
I'm currently loving Davinci's SF German Chocolate Cake, along with the regulation Chocolate, Kahlua, Caramel, Vanilla Hazelnut.

I think Butter Rum would be fantastic(don't have it yet though) Gingerbread would be great too.

I'd also like to try Lorann Oils Banana Creme..
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 428
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Have you tried pushing your protein up with a protein shake?

Or shrimp? I think we googled it a month or two ago and it is a great high protein low cal no carb food. I use it a lot to tweak protein up, manage fat and keep calories reasonable.

Maybe protein powder in a fat bomb?
I have to use protein pwdrs as a supplement to a meal, I get big insulin reaction to whey and eggs if eaten alone. I dont' really care for the taste of whey so I have to really disguise it to make it palatable. that reminds me I should make the Donut Holes
I made a spaghetti squash pudding yesterday that uses eggs and whey and it came out like a firm pumpkin pie type dish. I didn't have enough fat in it so I squashed it up with some unsalted butter and ate it that way. I would have to eat most of the pan to get in decent protein numbers though.

I wish I could do shrimp, I just hate the texture....I've always had issues with gross textures.
Deb34 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #792
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I have carmel, fr vanilla and gingerbread so I may give that a whirl.
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #793
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
generally it's better to take D with A and Vitamin K2- they all work synergistically (sp?) and to take one without the others can cause problems.
Google "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox" should bring you to Amazon. Fantastic book on Vitamin K2

My goodness I'm just blabbering non-stop today aren't I? I'll stop now.
Thanks Deb, I'll check it out
Clueless is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #794
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all!
Darin, had a call-back for work before I could finish reading the post yesterday...maybe that's why my ribs come out bad, I don't bring them to room temp!!! And a friend mentioned that they are much better at 300 degress longer...what temp does your cooking expert say is best for inside? When you have totally mastered Google's mess, let us know!
Hi Becky! Hope you are ready for the big adventure, and have a bunch of fun!
Cheryl, Hi! I have struggled with good ribs too. Would love a great inside recipe. So sad about your Mom, statins are dangerous. Rebuilding muscle...she needs to move more, walking is good, if she does nothing then atrophy can set in; does she take CoQ10 ubiquinol? That should help with increasing cardio flow to feet. Vitamin D is always good, getting sun is good too, and it can reduce pain considerably. Is the pain in her legs specifically? How much protein does she consume? She may want to give creatine a try, get the shake mix/powder kind, pills are worthless, have her take it before a walk.
Yvonne, eat if you are hungry, just don't eat carbs! We have all been there. You will even out when your body is ready.
Mizz, I experienced that fat bomb misery too, and never, ever will I do it again. As a treat or finishing a meal off, sure, but not on empty tummy! You mentioned that protein caused you to crave??? Trying to wrap my head around that.
Hi Deb. I was years on low fat sour cream, then picked up the whole fat kind....never going back! I can just take a spoon to it plain. I am one of those who used to consume about 120-130g protein a day, not a problem. I have had to get used to the extra fat....that drove me to many tummy issues. Deb, I take Adreset for high cortisol, and it has worked so far. Mine went high at night, which is odd....likely stress related. Seems it messes with losing weight too!

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 01-29-2013 at 06:12 PM..
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #795
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi to all!
Darin, had a call-back for work before I could finish reading the post yesterday...maybe that's why my ribs come out bad, I don't bring them to room temp!!! And a friend mentioned that they are much better at 300 degress longer...what temp does your cooking expert say is best for inside? When you have totally mastered Google's mess, let us know!
Unfortunately, the book does not address oven cooking and I very rarely cook them inside so each time is a learning experience for me.

Room temp for sure. You can't do that with chicken but pork and beef are good.

Your friend is right. I think last time I did it at 300 for 2 hours. It was almost as good as off the grill.

reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #796
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
When you have totally mastered Google's mess, let us know!
In fact I have fixed the 3 original extensions and they are working again!

The actual fix was fairly simple. Figuring out the actual fix was a serious pita. The good news is that I think my extensions are completely in compliance with all of the security model changes that google put in place.

Even the one that heavily modifies one page (Amazon) does it without using the techniques they have zapped. I think.

And fixing one annoying characteristic of my food log site just took some injected css - no js at all. They use #247CD4 which is sort of a light blue. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my vision but it annoys me to no end that they chose pretty over usability. I turned that color to black. I'm going to add alternating row colors too.

Have you used jquery? That sucker is the bees knees for working with javascript.

reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #797
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
In fact I have fixed the 3 original extensions and they are working again!

The actual fix was fairly simple. Figuring out the actual fix was a serious pita. The good news is that I think my extensions are completely in compliance with all of the security model changes that google put in place.

Even the one that heavily modifies one page (Amazon) does it without using the techniques they have zapped. I think.

And fixing one annoying characteristic of my food log site just took some injected css - no js at all. They use #247CD4 which is sort of a light blue. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my vision but it annoys me to no end that they chose pretty over usability. I turned that color to black. I'm going to add alternating row colors too.

Have you used jquery? That sucker is the bees knees for working with javascript.

I will try the lower temp and longer for ribs....HEB has some on sale I think.
I haven't used jquery in a long time, maybe back five years...? Creativity is not appreciated in health care reporting, with pics and all, but I do drop graphics in now and then. I have to consolidate reports to ipad formats now, which was not amusing for the long ones. I too, hate the graphics or pretty when it is not necessary, really ups the file size and can slow down working. Wonder if jquery is loaded and I just don't know it??? It may make formatting easier now that I remember it. Hummmm, sounds like something to try.
On another subject, Justified is on again, I really do not like the week to week waiting!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #798
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I will try the lower temp and longer for ribs....HEB has some on sale I think.
I haven't used jquery in a long time, maybe back five years...? Creativity is not appreciated in health care reporting, with pics and all, but I do drop graphics in now and then. I have to consolidate reports to ipad formats now, which was not amusing for the long ones. I too, hate the graphics or pretty when it is not necessary, really ups the file size and can slow down working. Wonder if jquery is loaded and I just don't know it??? It may make formatting easier now that I remember it. Hummmm, sounds like something to try.
On another subject, Justified is on again, I really do not like the week to week waiting!
They use that light color because visually it works well with the color scheme for the entire site but for reading text it sucks.

It is possible that they aren't using jquery but if that is the case it is because someone who doesn't have to do the work made the decision not to use it. The standard joke is "What's javascript? Is it an add-on for jquery?" heh.

It is?!? Hooray! I'm kinda spoiled on watching a season at a time
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #799
Senior LCF Member
 
Yvonnem2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 444
Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2012
Hi, NKers,
I love the daily conversations here, though I don't have much to contribute.

It's day 5 of my 7 day challenge, and I feel like I had a breakthrough today. Day 3 and 4 I got progressively more hungry, til I couldn't even sleep last night. I got up and went running this morning, and by 8:30 am I realized I wasn't even hungry anymore! All day I haven't been hungry, just pretty much made myself eat my planned food by the clock. Hooray!

I wish my ketone strips had come in. It would have been so interesting to document this transition. I believe I am in ketosis now, but it would be cool to see how the numbers correspond to the feeling.

Deb34, is there a special sour cream that's so high in fat? Or is that typical? I use Daisy, because it has a short list of ingredients.
Yvonnem2000 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #800
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
That not hungry feeling is pretty spectacular. It is different from normal not hungry for me at least. Not hungry and not thinking about being hungry.

Some days I have to be careful to eat or I'll be caught at the end of the day without being anywhere near where I should be for protein. From what I understand increased loss of LBM starts happening really fast - about a 24 hour window.

My numbers for today were about 2000 cals and 107g protein. Just about perfect for me.

reddarin is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #801
Senior LCF Member
 
solarpluvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 290
Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Just to give an example of how cortisol can treat you badly. I've been struggling for a year to lower my cortisol so that I don't get mysterious tremors that look like Parkinsons everytime I feel anxious or stressed or upset about something. I've been doing really well but last night I had a nightmare about my wallet being stolen and you know the horror that is. It was one of those dreams you have a hard time coming out of even in the light of morning so I woke up to a cortisol overload with the shakes and tremors. It's taken me most of the day drinking salt water, my Relora capsules and vitamin C to get me where my hands don't shake and I don't feel like I'm experiencing an earthquake(I feel like the furniture is swaying and rocking usually).

When cortisol has the upper hand, it's a real PIG to deal with! I'll have to find some time to listen to the talk you mentioned.
Deb, have you tried taking a potassium pill for the shakes? Quite by chance I discovered that the shakes I get every morning when my Adderall kicks in go away when I added a potassium supplement to my regimen. In fact, I added a salt pill to balance it out because I found it too calming. It might have nothing to do with cortisol, but the change was wonderful. My mother, who takes Ritalin, also noticed an improvement when she started taking it. We both have anxiety disorders and ADHD, so we are both old friends with the shakes.
solarpluvia is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #802
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi to all!
Darin, had a call-back for work before I could finish reading the post yesterday...maybe that's why my ribs come out bad, I don't bring them to room temp!!! And a friend mentioned that they are much better at 300 degress longer...what temp does your cooking expert say is best for inside? When you have totally mastered Google's mess, let us know!
Hi Becky! Hope you are ready for the big adventure, and have a bunch of fun!
Cheryl, Hi! I have struggled with good ribs too. Would love a great inside recipe. So sad about your Mom, statins are dangerous. Rebuilding muscle...she needs to move more, walking is good, if she does nothing then atrophy can set in; does she take CoQ10 ubiquinol? That should help with increasing cardio flow to feet. Vitamin D is always good, getting sun is good too, and it can reduce pain considerably. Is the pain in her legs specifically? How much protein does she consume? She may want to give creatine a try, get the shake mix/powder kind, pills are worthless, have her take it before a walk.
Yvonne, eat if you are hungry, just don't eat carbs! We have all been there. You will even out when your body is ready.
Mizz, I experienced that fat bomb misery too, and never, ever will I do it again. As a treat or finishing a meal off, sure, but not on empty tummy! You mentioned that protein caused you to crave??? Trying to wrap my head around that.
Hi Deb. I was years on low fat sour cream, then picked up the whole fat kind....never going back! I can just take a spoon to it plain. I am one of those who used to consume about 120-130g protein a day, not a problem. I have had to get used to the extra fat....that drove me to many tummy issues. Deb, I take Adreset for high cortisol, and it has worked so far. Mine went high at night, which is odd....likely stress related. Seems it messes with losing weight too!
Thanks ct,
Mom is pretty active, she does shopping and cooking and cleaning, vacuming, all that housework. Then they have a few little getaways they are always headed to. She helps take care of those places too. But the weight trainging dad was wanting her to we were not sure about. since lifting weights builds muscle by first tearing the muscle, didn't know if her body could repair the muscle.
I will looko into the creatine. She has celiacs and has it bad. Has to be careful with anything she eat. Lots of food allergies.
The pain isn't just in her legs, she has alot of pain in her arms and shoulders and especially in her hip.
Thanks
Clueless is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #803
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Good morning ya'll!

Does anyone else use those disposable plastic food service gloves at home? Sam's has a two box, 500 in each box, pack for about $8.

I love those things. I cannot stand to forego washing my hands if I handle the least icky thing and, as a germophobe, icky cuts a wide swath through my daily life. Particularly if I am handling raw meat. I might wash my hands 6 times doing that if I didn't have the gloves.
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #804
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Good morning ya'll!

Does anyone else use those disposable plastic food service gloves at home? Sam's has a two box, 500 in each box, pack for about $8.

I love those things. I cannot stand to forego washing my hands if I handle the least icky thing and, as a germophobe, icky cuts a wide swath through my daily life. Particularly if I am handling raw meat. I might wash my hands 6 times doing that if I didn't have the gloves.
I bought up some of those before I let my sams membership expire. They are really nice to have. I am the same way with meat and everything. Chicken is the worst.
Now they say don't rinse chicken cause it contaminates your sink, no duh! I always clean my sink after I wash chicken. That would be common sense I thought.
Clueless is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #805
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I bought up some of those before I let my sams membership expire. They are really nice to have. I am the same way with meat and everything. Chicken is the worst.
Now they say don't rinse chicken cause it contaminates your sink, no duh! I always clean my sink after I wash chicken. That would be common sense I thought.
Hmmmm. Have those people ever handled slimy chicken? Yuk. I am rinsing that sucker off. And you are right it is real easy to spritz some bleach based kitchen cleaner into the sink to sanitize it.

But I rinse all of my meat before I cook it. Except for ground meat of course. Dad put me on to that years ago - rinsing off the blood that can affect the flavor of your steak or whatever.
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #806
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmmmm. Have those people ever handled slimy chicken? Yuk. I am rinsing that sucker off. And you are right it is real easy to spritz some bleach based kitchen cleaner into the sink to sanitize it.

But I rinse all of my meat before I cook it. Except for ground meat of course. Dad put me on to that years ago - rinsing off the blood that can affect the flavor of your steak or whatever.
I agree 100%. I also read that butchers say alwats rinse meat cause unless you know the butcher you don't know how clean his equipmet was.


Has anyone seen The Oiling of America.
Just started watching it. Its is pretty long.
Clueless is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #807
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Or how many times it was dropped and stepped on lol
reddarin is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #808
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Or how many times it was dropped and stepped on lol
Clueless is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #809
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,764
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012


I am keeping up with you all, not completely on plan, not doing much except trying to get stronger. I will be back one of these days though!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #810
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 38
Gallery: zgirl
Hi everyone!

I've been following this thread for a few months now but never worked up the courage to post. But you are all so friendly and supportive of each other that I finally decided to wade into the fray! For now, I'll just start by posting today's menu. Comments are very welcome!

B: 3 strips bacon; 1 egg yolk; 2T cream cheese; coffee with HWC and CO
L: 1 tin smoked sardines in olive oil; 1 egg yolk; mixed greens; 2T sour cream
D: 4 oz Trader Joe's Carnitas; baby spinach; 2T sour cream
Snacks: 1 oz triple creme brie; unsweetened chocolate almond milk with 2T HWC; 2T cream cheese

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

- zgirl
zgirl is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.