Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #751
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Welcome back CT.

Glad you had so much fun.
We missed ya.

Glad your doing well on NK Darrin.
I need to get on the scale but am putting it off cause I feel so good. Don't wanna be disappointed.

But my family thinks I am crazy. NK gives me so much energy and I am so happy.
Been hooping to Cake and the Beastie Boys.
I'd rather listen to Cake than eat it anyway
Thanks

I'm a scale freak but I don't see any reason to be chained to it if you want to skip it.

That song Never There by Cake is very cool. It made me think of BH Surfers and their excellent song Pepper. Love that video! How the heck did they get Erik Estrada to be in the video? Like Fatboy Slim and the Weapon Of Choice video with Christopher Walken. I like Beastie Boys too.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #752
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm listening to the Jimmy Moore LaLonde calorie podcast again.

At the 42:45 mark JM wants to define terms and asks ML if there is a low threshold for calories that human beings need to be consuming.

ML asks if he means like 2200 calories for males and 1500 to 1600 for females? Remember, this is in the context of 'is there a low threshold for calories' and ML's idea of low cal is 2200 and 1500 respectively.

Here is the exchange I transcribed:

JM: "I've heard like 1200."
ML: "Oh are you kidding me?!?"
JM: "I'm not kidding you. I've seen that out on the boards a lot and I'm like where does that come from."
ML: "Wow! That is loooow! That's really low!"

The reason JM asked ML to define terms was the last question. It was about consuming too few calories and triggering "starvation mode". ML's response was yes, too much of a caloric deficit will produce a stress response.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Thanks

I'm a scale freak but I don't see any reason to be chained to it if you want to skip it.

That song Never There by Cake is very cool. It made me think of BH Surfers and their excellent song Pepper. Love that video! How the heck did they get Erik Estrada to be in the video? Like Fatboy Slim and the Weapon Of Choice video with Christopher Walken. I like Beastie Boys too.

Love that fat boy slim video.
Christoper walken is so cool. I kept expecting him to pop up in that beatsie boys video make some voice. I also Love Steve Buchemi.
Such a sad day when Adam Yauch passed.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #754
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm listening to the Jimmy Moore LaLonde calorie podcast again.

At the 42:45 mark JM wants to define terms and asks ML if there is a low threshold for calories that human beings need to be consuming.

ML asks if he means like 2200 calories for males and 1500 to 1600 for females? Remember, this is in the context of 'is there a low threshold for calories' and ML's idea of low cal is 2200 and 1500 respectively.

Here is the exchange I transcribed:

JM: "I've heard like 1200."
ML: "Oh are you kidding me?!?"
JM: "I'm not kidding you. I've seen that out on the boards a lot and I'm like where does that come from."
ML: "Wow! That is loooow! That's really low!"

The reason JM asked ML to define terms was the last question. It was about consuming too few calories and triggering "starvation mode". ML's response was yes, too much of a caloric deficit will produce a stress response.
Thanks Darrin, Gonna check that one out too.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Darrin,
Erik Estrada is so funny. Did you see him in that Butterfinger video?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

No I don't think so. Was it a commercial?

I know that old TV show is very corny by today's standards but back then we never missed an episode of ChiPs. Too bad Estrada and that other fellow couldn't get along in real life and it ruined the show.

When they added those other two guys as partners and split up the main two the show went down the tubes. Like the way Dukes of Hazzard did.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #757
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Love that fat boy slim video.
Christoper walken is so cool. I kept expecting him to pop up in that beatsie boys video make some voice. I also Love Steve Buchemi.
Such a sad day when Adam Yauch passed.
I didn't know he had died.

One of the comments I just saw on that FBS video was:

First part: Christopher sitting.
Second part: Christopher Walken.
Third part: Christopher flying.

lol
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #758
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I didn't know he had died.

One of the comments I just saw on that FBS video was:

First part: Christopher sitting.
Second part: Christopher Walken.
Third part: Christopher flying.

lol
lol

Yes Adam Yauch (MCA) had a cancerous salivary gland that spread to his lymph nodes. He died last May. He was diagnosed in 2009. He was a super cool dude. He was in tight with the Dali Lama and was all set to free Tibet
My fav Beastie!

Last edited by Clueless; 01-28-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No I don't think so. Was it a commercial?

I know that old TV show is very corny by today's standards but back then we never missed an episode of ChiPs. Too bad Estrada and that other fellow couldn't get along in real life and it ruined the show.

When they added those other two guys as partners and split up the main two the show went down the tubes. Like the way Dukes of Hazzard did.
There used to be a buterfinger video with Erik Estrada, Chrasima Carpenter and Lou Ferrigno. Don't know if it is still out there or not but It was hilarious.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #760
Blabbermouth!!!

Well well well.

There is a nice side benefit of posting daily menus and food logs. I was doing that in September and October and (I think) November. I'll probably start doing it again in a few weeks.

I put some country style pork ribs down to thaw last night and they are thawed out enough to cook.

Back in September I cooked them the same way I am going to cook them today and I knew I had tweaked the food log item to customize it for accuracy (I hope). I also knew I'd been posting menus and screen shots of my logs so I searched the threads for it:

High Fat Again! 80/15/5

...and when I knew the date I was able to go right to it in my food log history.

Once I (re)figure out the extension thing I am going to tweak my food log site. It has a lot of very annoying usability shortcomings for me personally.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Made it to Ga..we left yesterday morning. Temp was 17 got here temp 67 yehaw. We will fly out Thursday for 83 temp each day,see y'all soon
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #762
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Made it to Ga..we left yesterday morning. Temp was 17 got here temp 67 yehaw. We will fly out Thursday for 83 temp each day,see y'all soon
lol

Did you share your goal news with DD?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #763
Major LCF Poster!

You bet you!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #764
Blabbermouth!!!

Alright. My stupid pork ribs sucked.

I think I know what I did wrong though. Didn't let them come to room temp. Cooked them too long at too high heat which I thought was moderate when I was cooking them.

They were on sale for 1.39 a pound so I have a couple more packages that I'll cook before I forget my mistakes.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Glad ta hear from ya. Enjoy that weather.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Alright. My stupid pork ribs sucked.

I think I know what I did wrong though. Didn't let them come to room temp. Cooked them too long at too high heat which I thought was moderate when I was cooking them.

They were on sale for 1.39 a pound so I have a couple more packages that I'll cook before I forget my mistakes.
Never been able to cook pork ribs
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Wow!! You aren't kidding about that 'feature'. I can't tell you how many times I lost all my tabs when a sneaky second instance was open (because of ML's podcast popup) and I closed the main instance before the little popup. I did figure out that if I reopened Chrome before closing the secondary instance all the tabs would come back and then I could close them in the right order.

Remember Netscape? I loved that browser. But talk about buggy! That sucker was crashing all the time and I'd have a zillion instances up which could have contributed to the frequent crashes but it would do it even with just a few instances open.

For extensions though... Chrome is by far the easiest to work with. Notwithstanding, of course, my current challenges with manifest.json verson 2.0 and the new security model. I looked into Firefox's process and it was long and complicated. And IE??? Fahgetaboutit! I was actually stunned at how difficult the other two are.

Heck, I'd never heard of jquery. I didn't know a thing about javascript or, really, HTML/CSS, and I had a working extension that radically modified the content of a web page within 6 or 7 days. I continued tweaking it for several weeks adding this and that like I always do with the utility programs I write. Once I get over the hurdle with Google's security changes I am going to rewrite the existing extensions so I can use them without having to use Chromium. And there are some changes and code reworking that I want to do on the fancy extension.

I had to check my log but I've been back 100% on plan today being the 5th day. If it were the 6th day I could have made an obscure reference to that fine film.

It took me a few days to get back on track. I was really surprised at how hard it was after I'd resumed you know what. I had to white knuckle it a few times with thoughts of how a bag of almonds was LC and even if I ate 16 oz I'd still be LC if not NK if I counted net carbs. lol insane stuff like that.

It is only the last couple of days that I've regained the very cool NK appetite control/suppression. Hooray!!

I still haven't got my macros back to where I had them regularly as I am only hitting the 60s for fat %. But I think tomorrow I should be back in the 70s consistently. I've been dead on for my protein and I've kept total carbs in the 30s. Calories have been a little bit low around 1500 a couple of days. Even today they were down and I finished the day at 1678. My calorie goal is (at least) 2000. I did really well at 2000 and if I were any more sedentary I might be mistaken for King Enkil in his later days.

you have me laughing! Serious moments with Chrome! Netscape days! Haven't heard that in ages. I work a bit with Java HTML etc...but we have a great converter program now, so bothers if something comes in with a file that cannot be translated, I use that and convert it to what I can read. Sometimes it doesn't quite translate as the original file...but it makes it interesting to figure out. Kinda like using the language translaters...sometimes it's a real laugh!

You will be back in your diet grove soon, just remember it took a while to tweak it around. Your body may take a bit of extra time, it could get protective for a bit...then it will adapt again.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #768
Blabbermouth!!!

I cooked these ribs in the oven and that is one reason that they didn't come out right. On the grill I know they'd have come out excellent as usual.

But I have to give kudos to the book that changed everything for me grill-wise.

I am a formerly grill-challenged person. I have done awful things to many sad pounds of beef, pork and chicken. No cut of meat was spared my horrible attempts at grilling

Mid 2001 (I think) I grilled up what would be my last bad grill experience. After those awful but expensive steaks I googled for help. I found BBQs 101 by Rick Rodgers. I remember I had to drive across town (from Bedford to Hulen) to get the book at a B&N.

Rick taught classes on how to bbq. His book covers the basics like the proper way to prepare your grill, the best way to light the charcoal (chimney and wadded up paper), using gas grills, etc. The recipes run from basic to a bit fancy. But this isn't like those food channel shows where you could never hope to recreate what that guy is doing on TV. The book also includes rub and sauce recipes. I use the Texas Chili Rub on my ribs. Very simple but very tasty.

If anyone is interested...

"Barbecues 101: More Than 100 Recipes for Great Grilled, Smoked, and Barbecued Food Plus All the Fixings by Rick Rodgers"
Rick Rodgers
ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x

Google 'abebooks ISBN: 0-7679-0673-x' and you can get it for about $4 with shipping.

A snippet of the synopsis:

"He's taken the fear out of holiday entertaining and Thanksgiving dinner preparation, and now Rick Rodgers makes grilling easier and more enjoyable than ever. Drawn from his sold-out coast-to-coast classes, Barbecues 101 features the hands-on, step-by-step style that has made Rodgers such a popular and award-winning instructor."

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
On track today. Kept my protein and carbs in line, but did add more fat. I'm hungry today!

I'll have to find that BBQ book. I could use the help.
Yvonne
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #770
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
On track today. Kept my protein and carbs in line, but did add more fat. I'm hungry today!

I'll have to find that BBQ book. I could use the help.
Yvonne
Good job

With that book and this article:

Google '163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks' for a very interesting article by a lady named Jaden! Jaden has a potty mouth.

...you'll be hard pressed to grill a bad steak ever again. The pork spare rib method makes fall off the bone ribs too.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #771
Blabbermouth!!!

Bah. Over on calories and protein yesterday. I have plans for that left over pork though. I figure sauteed with some jalapeno and broccoli with some sour cream on the side to dredge the meat through per bite will fix it up
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #772
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
OK, I have discovered fat bombs are fine for me as long as they aren't eaten on an empty stomach. Woo hoo!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #773
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm. Now that you mention it I think I have had a similar but milder experience when I've had a few when I was actually hungry. Like, should have eaten real food hungry but opted for a few fat bombs.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

They did the same thing to me!!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

Do any of you have any advice for me about Statins.
My Mom has been off of them for 8+ months now and is still in pain. We were hoping she would recovery but it is looking grim. I searched the internet and have her taking coQ10, and told her today to start back on Vitamin D.
My dad wants her to go to the gym and see if she can rebuild some muscle but she is hesitant. For one thing she doesn't feel well enough to lift weights. For another I believe that if her body could repair the muscle tissue it would. working out may make it worse.
She is 74 and man that woman could go like a freight train before the statins. Now she just hurts and is weak.
I get so angry I want to cry.
Her cholesterol was 200 when her dr put her on statins. Dr did not discuss side effects or anything with her.
Do you know anything or anyone we can talk to that could help?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #776
Blabbermouth!!!

I have finally made progress with the new manifest and content security policy!

Hooray!!

I remain thoroughly annoyed at Google's pathetically awful changeover documentation. We don't have a more naughty emoticon or I'd use it.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #777
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Do any of you have any advice for me about Statins.
My Mom has been off of them for 8+ months now and is still in pain. We were hoping she would recovery but it is looking grim. I searched the internet and have her taking coQ10, and told her today to start back on Vitamin D.
My dad wants her to go to the gym and see if she can rebuild some muscle but she is hesitant. For one thing she doesn't feel well enough to lift weights. For another I believe that if her body could repair the muscle tissue it would. working out may make it worse.
She is 74 and man that woman could go like a freight train before the statins. Now she just hurts and is weak.
I get so angry I want to cry.
Her cholesterol was 200 when her dr put her on statins. Dr did not discuss side effects or anything with her.
Do you know anything or anyone we can talk to that could help?

We'll have to wait for SG or one of the others that is knowledgeable about it. I know I've read/heard that it can take a long time to recover from the damage it does
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #778
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't ya hate it when you go back through some carefully crafted code you wrote months ago and it doesn't appear to be possible that it should work but it does work?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #779
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
I have finally made progress with the new manifest and content security policy!

Hooray!!

I remain thoroughly annoyed at Google's pathetically awful changeover documentation. We don't have a more naughty emoticon or I'd use it.
Way to go! I'd count that as an NSV!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #780
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
And yes, I'll eat sour cream like yogurt, with sweetener or syrup. I got that idea in the Main Carb Lobby i think, but I've never admitted it to anybody before!
I've done it too, it's even better when you have 30% fat sour cream!!
Closed Thread