Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #721
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Just a quick note to let you all know I am still around but not posting much. Can't sleep tonight so am up at 2:00. My BP is doing better on different meds but we just found out on Thurs. that our grandson who is 13 has type I diabetes. I know it will be ok but I am beyond upset right now. Would do anything to take that away but I can't.
Awwhh Buffy. So sorry he has to deal with that.
I have had a few kids over the yrs that have diabetes.
Most kids do really well. The great part for him is that you know so much about REALLY treating diabetes. Alot of what Drs tell you about the nutrition part is wrong. He is lucky that he has you to help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Speaking of that Chicken Enchilada Bake, I felt SO guilty for eating that second slice.. I was still hungry though, it was just that those extra calories and proteins grams made me feel like I blew it. I laid in bed last night and thought to myself, "Maybe NK isn't for me, its so hard to keep my protein low! What if I'm ruining all the muscle I'm building? Maybe I should just go back to Atkins. Or maybe I should do Paleo, and stop counting calories and macros? Ugh." The first thing I thought when I woke up was how guilty I still felt. Afraid to step on the scale.

So step on the scale this morning I did. 125! Down 1.6 from the day before woowoo. I think I will stick to higher protein and calories on lifting days, it must work for some reason. I had asked the question of whether I should up protein on lifting days previously, and someone who usually posts in the other NK thread replied with a definitive NO, keep your protein the same. So I did. Won't be doing THAT anymore.

Have a good day everyone.

Hey congrats, way to go. Sometimes I guess our body really knows what it needs and you must have nedded that extra slice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #722
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Red, the syrup flavors I have are chocolate, hazelnut and vanilla. Nothing special, just what they carry in my grocery store. Yep, i just put the sour cream in a small bowl, and stir in a tbsp or so of flavoring. I don't put it on anything.

Clueless, congrats on finishing your taxes! It sounds like a real sense of accomplishment!

Mizzcase, the casserole sounds really good. I'll have to look that one up.

I'm on track today. Did eat my snack, but stayed on plan. Day 2 complete!
Thanks, Its a load off. I am not an organized person.

Congrats on staying on plan. How do you feel?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

CT
I miss you, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Becky have a safe and fun trip.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #724
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Just a quick note to let you all know I am still around but not posting much. Can't sleep tonight so am up at 2:00. My BP is doing better on different meds but we just found out on Thurs. that our grandson who is 13 has type I diabetes. I know it will be ok but I am beyond upset right now. Would do anything to take that away but I can't.

'593 keith runyan jimmy moore' - Dr. Runyan was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He started off with standard treatment, insulin, and eventually became an LC'r to treat his condition. He is an athlete (triathlon) and gives kudos to NK when he says he calls out several books and "...especially Dr. Phinney's latest one about low carb sports performance".

'541 john briffa jimmy moore' - He has this podcast with JM which is LC but not about diabetes. I found it after I found his blog post about LC and diabetes:

'drbriffa Low-carbohydrate diet proven to be very effective in type 1 diabetics'

Here is a thread someone posted at LCF. Low-Carb for Type 1 Diabetics? - I bet dawnyama would be happy to share any resources she has if you PM her.

I'm glad your BP is doing better!

Your grandson is a very lucky young man. *You* are already well informed about LC so he doesn't have to be victim to the mainstream dogma about eating a lot of carby 'healthy whole grains' and balancing it with insulin medication. How are mom and dad doing? I assume the young man is least worried person about this?

Not to channel M. Night Shyamalan but when you think about how things work out it makes you appreciate how God can work in our lives. If you weren't overweight you'd believe the mainstream nutrition non-science. You might even been one of those high carb zealots that'd be adamantly against LC for your grandson. Instead you battled weight gain/loss. You went LC and had some success but stalled out. You *had* to get more knowledgeable and you've been here for months learning more about LC and NK. And what the boy needs most is a low/no medication way to deal with his diagnosis which is ... LC. It gives some perspective to the challenges that come into our lives and how our rough times can be so life-changing to the people we love.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #725
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, the syrup flavors I have are chocolate, hazelnut and vanilla. Nothing special, just what they carry in my grocery store. Yep, i just put the sour cream in a small bowl, and stir in a tbsp or so of flavoring. I don't put it on anything.
I'm gonna have to try it. Yesterday evening for a snack I took some cream cheese and put a little Torani in it, mixed it up with a fork real good and that was very tasty.

Good job staying on track!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #726
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Today

Calories 1741
fat 144 72%
pro 88 20%
carbs 35 8%

Made cabbage rotel soup so my carbs are high
I still haven't made that soup but it is on my list of things to enjoy
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #727
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Speaking of that Chicken Enchilada Bake, I felt SO guilty for eating that second slice.. I was still hungry though, it was just that those extra calories and proteins grams made me feel like I blew it. I laid in bed last night and thought to myself, "Maybe NK isn't for me, its so hard to keep my protein low! What if I'm ruining all the muscle I'm building? Maybe I should just go back to Atkins. Or maybe I should do Paleo, and stop counting calories and macros? Ugh." The first thing I thought when I woke up was how guilty I still felt. Afraid to step on the scale.

So step on the scale this morning I did. 125! Down 1.6 from the day before woowoo. I think I will stick to higher protein and calories on lifting days, it must work for some reason. I had asked the question of whether I should up protein on lifting days previously, and someone who usually posts in the other NK thread replied with a definitive NO, keep your protein the same. So I did. Won't be doing THAT anymore.

Wow! Congrats!!

I believe Dr. Phinney himself said that there was some support for a little bit higher protein on workout days for NK'rs.

It has got to be very individual though. If your body has a very low insulinogenic reaction to protein and you burn off any glucose created then you can tolerate more protein.

Anecdotally speaking, regular LC'rs prove that all the time with (relatively) high protein intake while still losing weight and enjoying the benefits of LC health. And lots of them are not even working out.

Phinney mentions, at least once, in the Long Term Stalls podcast that the range of protein intake should be 1.5 to 2.0 grams per kg (not about exercise in particular). So even here he is indirectly supporting the assertion that higher protein on workout days should be fine.

So, for the exercise lurkers, it is something to experiment with and adjust as your results dictate.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #728
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
CT
I miss you, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Becky have a safe and fun trip.
Cheryl is right. I already have the AWOL paperwork filled out so unless you want a visit from the MPs...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #729
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy, What are they saying has caused his diabetes, if they know.

The children I have kepy that got diabetes were very thin and highly active kids that otherwise seemed healthy until the onset of the diabetes.

At age 7 my daughter came down with the worst virus I have ever seen. She had violent vometing for nearly 6 days with diarreah. (no one else got the virus weird) I took her to our local er but they are incompatents and we left before they got their paws in her. I took her to her ped (who I love) the next day and she said it was a virus and she should be fine.
1 week later she was better and all was ok. The next morning she woke screamin!
She had pancreatitis.
The whole way to the local childrens hospital in the ambulance the moron paramedic kept telling me she had diabetes. He said he saw it all the time.
She screamed in pain for days. Seemed like months.
Worst thing I ever dealth with. They said she would be in the hospital for months, but we had GOD on our side and she was out 2 weeks later. They were amazed by her case.
Anyway they said much later that the virus was the cause of the pancreatitis. They think
She was on a fat free diet for months. Not even a dab of fat.
Ya know what, between that feeding tube formula and the fat free diet she gained 10 or 15 lbs which is a lot on a 7 yr old.
Feeding tube formula was loaded with fat and sugar.

I tell ya I worried over that girl, anytime she as much as sighed I was freaking out.

She is 14 now and great health but I keep her outta the dr office if I can help it.

Boy is Darrin right, GOD worked in our lives.
From then on big changes happened for me and my girls and it was about time
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #730
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Auto immune disease runs in our family and the doctors said it can be caused by that and or, it also can be caused by a virus, I hadn't heard the virus idea before.

Since he has type I and I have type II, I will tread carefully in pushing my ideas towards his treatment and diet. I think the first thing is to follow what the Dr. recommends to get it regulated and until we all become adjusted to it. Then, I can help him make better choices in using lower carb changes slowly in his diet, with the goal of being able to lower the amount of insulin that he has to inject etc.

He is soaking up all the info like a sponge so will be a big part in his treatment.

We can make it through this, there are so many kids that suffer far worse things and do fine. When his older cousin was about his age, we found out he had bone cancer of the skull, we all lived through that and it was the scariest thing ever.

Come on dear grandkids, give ole Mema a break here
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #731
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Cheryl, was she on a fat free diet for months before or after the onset of pancreatitis?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #732
Blabbermouth!!!

That is good that he is being proactive about gaining knowledge to deal with the condition
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #733
Blabbermouth!!!

Google's security model for Chrome extensions, put in place last year sometime, are exceedingly annoying

Not to mention baffling. I was able to create four or five very useful extensions under the old model and I have yet to figure out how to transition them to the new model. One of them extensively rewrites the HTML on a site I use. I was ecstatic about how I was able to take a very tediously programmed interface and create something new that was highly tailored to how I wanted to view the information.

Worst of all the changes made by Google broke all previous extensions. They gave you a few weeks to make the change over and that was that. I found out that Google's open source version of Chrome called Chromium works with the old model so I was able to continue using those extensions by switching browsers when needed.

It is a good thing bad thing situation though. If I didn't have Chromium to use I'd have *had* to figure it out for that one site if for nothing else.

I'm back to chiseling away at getting past Google's hamfisted update for a new extension I've been wanting to write for another site I use.

I do not suppose anyone, lurker or otherwise, has a current Chrome extension they've written?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #734
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Buffy

I have type 1 diabetes I was diagnosed at age 25. This year will be 15 years living as a type 1. I am on an insulin pump and have been for 10 years.
it is very true that most doctors will push for carbs- saying kids need them to grow.. or in my case, I need them for energy etc..
I followed Dr Bernstein to keep my insulin needs low for years and now have been doing NK for about 6 mos or so. I find that eating other ways may be a nice break, but I don't see the great BG's as I would and do eating NK or very low carb.
It is a 24 hour disease, and there are so many factors that go into managing it well- not just diet- as you know. Autoimmune diseases are so complicated.

I am here for you for support and any questions that you might have - now and in the future!!

take care,
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cheryl, was she on a fat free diet for months before or after the onset of pancreatitis?
After
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #736
Senior LCF Member

I couldn't imagine coping with being diagnosed as an adult, let alone a child.. Prayers are being said for your grandson, Buffy!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #737
Senior LCF Member

Made some fat bombs for the first time tonight...butter, almond butter, coconut oil, chilled and then dipped in some Lindt 85%...

Dinner WAS going to be grilled steak with garlic & herb Kerrygold... I decided on two of these babies instead. SO GOOD.

I foresee NO problems of keeping my protein down in the future anymore.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
My sister, brother-in-law and I have birthdays 3 days apart, so we got together today and celebrated. This is my first birthday since I started NK, so we did a low-carb chocolate cake. It was so good! It was nice to find a way to enjoy the celebration without blowing my WOE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BirthdayCake.jpg (61.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #739
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy birthday!! Looks decadent MK
Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #740
Senior LCF Member

Happy birthday MK! When you're done celebrating, you'll have to send us the recipe!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #741
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to All, yes I have been AWOL! Had a great weekend trip with college roommates, we do this annually. The real news of it is we all ate LC, and food was not the highlight, the excessive laughing, wiping tears, yes, wine, and whine...but it was a fun time away from reality! There are four of us, and lucky this time the weather was okay! Trying to get caught up from last week, while staying awake! I am happy to report that all restaurants handed me a "allergy/gluten menu" the minute I asked if wheat was in the chili/soup. They were happy to work with anything, and this has never happened to me...all places we went to. One of them brought me the most yummy cheese in the world when I explained my BS was falling and bread was not optional....I have to get with Mac Grill and find out what it was. Softer than fresh parmesan, with a sweet, nutty, not smoky flavor. But it with a regular knife. Anyone got an idea???
Buffy, our prayers to you and your family. I know you are in shock and still with your own issues.
Hi Cheryl! I have laughed over your posts! Mac-n-cheese was the only thing my skinny DD2 would eat for years for the most part. I have never reeaaallly cared for it.
Becky, I hope you are off and by a beach enjoying every second of the awesome sunsets!
Mizz, I am glad to see you are feeling good again! Sounds like school is going okay too?!
Welcome Yvonne! The fat shake does sound interesting.
Hi Deb! "Yes we want the recipes!!!"
Clairie, great to hear from you! Your pic is so pretty, I have a couple DMI friends, and they have pumps too. Seems to make life a bit easier. One is getting the new "alarm" for night as she can sleep through the vibration to wake her to correct low readings. Deep sleeping isn't always great!
MerryKate, Happy B-Day & how about the recipe for that wonderful thing? Looks like dark chocolate, my fav!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #742
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Google's security model for Chrome extensions, put in place last year sometime, are exceedingly annoying

Not to mention baffling. I was able to create four or five very useful extensions under the old model and I have yet to figure out how to transition them to the new model. One of them extensively rewrites the HTML on a site I use. I was ecstatic about how I was able to take a very tediously programmed interface and create something new that was highly tailored to how I wanted to view the information.

Worst of all the changes made by Google broke all previous extensions. They gave you a few weeks to make the change over and that was that. I found out that Google's open source version of Chrome called Chromium works with the old model so I was able to continue using those extensions by switching browsers when needed.

It is a good thing bad thing situation though. If I didn't have Chromium to use I'd have *had* to figure it out for that one site if for nothing else.

I'm back to chiseling away at getting past Google's hamfisted update for a new extension I've been wanting to write for another site I use.

I do not suppose anyone, lurker or otherwise, has a current Chrome extension they've written?
Darin, you have far more patience with Google than I do at this point. I am very annoyed with their changes, and the auto save put that darned Chrome on my home page for no apparent reason! It died at midnight, but not the point. I use a note pad from Outlook to type, copy paste as I lost a few posts and it really is annoying!

How's NK going? You seem to be back in the groove. I see the wit and humor as returned as well. AFter your detail story I was a bit guilty about not washing my SUV, then the trip caught a thousand bugs! At least it is not Love Bug Season!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #743
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, you have far more patience with Google than I do at this point. I am very annoyed with their changes, and the auto save put that darned Chrome on my home page for no apparent reason! It died at midnight, but not the point. I use a note pad from Outlook to type, copy paste as I lost a few posts and it really is annoying!
Wow!! You aren't kidding about that 'feature'. I can't tell you how many times I lost all my tabs when a sneaky second instance was open (because of ML's podcast popup) and I closed the main instance before the little popup. I did figure out that if I reopened Chrome before closing the secondary instance all the tabs would come back and then I could close them in the right order.

Remember Netscape? I loved that browser. But talk about buggy! That sucker was crashing all the time and I'd have a zillion instances up which could have contributed to the frequent crashes but it would do it even with just a few instances open.

For extensions though... Chrome is by far the easiest to work with. Notwithstanding, of course, my current challenges with manifest.json verson 2.0 and the new security model. I looked into Firefox's process and it was long and complicated. And IE??? Fahgetaboutit! I was actually stunned at how difficult the other two are.

Heck, I'd never heard of jquery. I didn't know a thing about javascript or, really, HTML/CSS, and I had a working extension that radically modified the content of a web page within 6 or 7 days. I continued tweaking it for several weeks adding this and that like I always do with the utility programs I write. Once I get over the hurdle with Google's security changes I am going to rewrite the existing extensions so I can use them without having to use Chromium. And there are some changes and code reworking that I want to do on the fancy extension.

Quote:
How's NK going? You seem to be back in the groove. I see the wit and humor as returned as well. AFter your detail story I was a bit guilty about not washing my SUV, then the trip caught a thousand bugs! At least it is not Love Bug Season!
I had to check my log but I've been back 100% on plan today being the 5th day. If it were the 6th day I could have made an obscure reference to that fine film.

It took me a few days to get back on track. I was really surprised at how hard it was after I'd resumed you know what. I had to white knuckle it a few times with thoughts of how a bag of almonds was LC and even if I ate 16 oz I'd still be LC if not NK if I counted net carbs. lol insane stuff like that.

It is only the last couple of days that I've regained the very cool NK appetite control/suppression. Hooray!!

I still haven't got my macros back to where I had them regularly as I am only hitting the 60s for fat %. But I think tomorrow I should be back in the 70s consistently. I've been dead on for my protein and I've kept total carbs in the 30s. Calories have been a little bit low around 1500 a couple of days. Even today they were down and I finished the day at 1678. My calorie goal is (at least) 2000. I did really well at 2000 and if I were any more sedentary I might be mistaken for King Enkil in his later days.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-27-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
I'm staying up to date on all your posts.

Day 3, on plan. Hungry and craving. Hopefully tomorrow (or soon) the breakthrough will come.
Yvonne

PS Reddarrin, at one point you mentioned cortisol. I know nothing about that topic. Any recommended reading?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #745
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi to All, yes I have been AWOL! Had a great weekend trip with college roommates, we do this annually. The real news of it is we all ate LC, and food was not the highlight, the excessive laughing, wiping tears, yes, wine, and whine...but it was a fun time away from reality! There are four of us, and lucky this time the weather was okay! Trying to get caught up from last week, while staying awake! I am happy to report that all restaurants handed me a "allergy/gluten menu" the minute I asked if wheat was in the chili/soup. They were happy to work with anything, and this has never happened to me...all places we went to. One of them brought me the most yummy cheese in the world when I explained my BS was falling and bread was not optional....I have to get with Mac Grill and find out what it was. Softer than fresh parmesan, with a sweet, nutty, not smoky flavor. But it with a regular knife. Anyone got an idea???
Buffy, our prayers to you and your family. I know you are in shock and still with your own issues.
Hi Cheryl! I have laughed over your posts! Mac-n-cheese was the only thing my skinny DD2 would eat for years for the most part. I have never reeaaallly cared for it.
Becky, I hope you are off and by a beach enjoying every second of the awesome sunsets!
Mizz, I am glad to see you are feeling good again! Sounds like school is going okay too?!
Welcome Yvonne! The fat shake does sound interesting.
Hi Deb! "Yes we want the recipes!!!"
Clairie, great to hear from you! Your pic is so pretty, I have a couple DMI friends, and they have pumps too. Seems to make life a bit easier. One is getting the new "alarm" for night as she can sleep through the vibration to wake her to correct low readings. Deep sleeping isn't always great!
MerryKate, Happy B-Day & how about the recipe for that wonderful thing? Looks like dark chocolate, my fav!
Welcome back, it sounds like you had fun! I love how accommodating restaurants can be!

Quote:

Day 3, on plan. Hungry and craving. Hopefully tomorrow (or soon) the breakthrough will come.
Yvonne

PS Reddarrin, at one point you mentioned cortisol. I know nothing about that topic. Any recommended reading?
Yvonne, if you are hungry, EAT. Try to make it high fat :-) I was on the "if I'm hungry I'll have some protein like a chunk of chicken" boat, but then I realized TOO MUCH protein caused cravings! So now I turn to fat! Have you made fat bombs yet? They are my new go to snack for days when I don't have any leftover protein! I am also very good friends with macadamia nuts and brie. Both high fat/low protein. If I am more on the go and don't have time to actually eat, then I will make a diet root beer float with heavy whipping cream... pour half the can over ice, top with 2 oz (4T) of HWC, and top with the other half of the can. All delicious choices =)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #746
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back CT.

Glad you had so much fun.
We missed ya.

Glad your doing well on NK Darrin.
I need to get on the scale but am putting it off cause I feel so good. Don't wanna be disappointed.

But my family thinks I am crazy. NK gives me so much energy and I am so happy.
Been hooping to Cake and the Beastie Boys.
I'd rather listen to Cake than eat it anyway
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Yvonne

Way to go. Hope the hunger gets gone soon for ya.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Well, those fat bombs I fell in love with last night are not for me. They are like a natural laxative, and I don't mean that in a good way!

I haven't had this much stomach pain since I was 10 years old and ate 2 pounds of homemade beef jerky in 1 sitting.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #749
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, those fat bombs I fell in love with last night are not for me. They are like a natural laxative, and I don't mean that in a good way!

I haven't had this much stomach pain since I was 10 years old and ate 2 pounds of homemade beef jerky in 1 sitting.

lol sorry

Maybe you just ate too much of it?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #750
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Yvonne

If you are hungry because your calories are low then meat (haha) your protein goal and add fat to satiety and don't worry about too many calories too much. A whole lotta fat won't knock you out of NK/ketosis.

If it is more of an undefinable not really hungry but want to eat then I commiserate entirely.

Cortisol.

Frankly my eyesight grows dim and I swoon when the various chemical interactions of metabolic functions are described.

Phillip has a chemical background so he may weigh in and enlighten us. Or some non-swooner.

Cortisol didn't interest me much (because of all the swooning and regaining consciousness with Rimmer's H on my forehead) until I listened to a Jimmy Moore podcast with calorie expert and chemist Mat LaLonde. You can google for that podcast with 'jimmy moore mat lalonde all things calories 9 atlcx'.

He is not an LC person, he is paleo/crossfit, so he says some stuff that is contrary to LC or more applicable to a high performance athlete. But he did have some eye opening things to say about calories in particular and cortisol too.

It is a hormone that is released when we are under duress. It makes it hard to use body fat for energy. Comparable to insulin in result but not mechanism/process.

Too much cortisol makes the body (actively) hold on to fat. He says that at the 23 minute mark in the context of maintaining too much of a calorie deficit which floods the body with cortisol. But the salient point is that cortisol is not your friend for weight loss.
Closed Thread