Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #631
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Yeah, I probably need to read the whole Wheat Belly book, but I am not buying that there is something different about the grain from dwarf wheat that is to blame for all the problems caused by eating wheat.

If there is though, that is something that can be fixed while maintaining high yields. It could even be done fairly quickly using GMO tech -- because that technology can be used to bring in single genes (in this case I think the gene is dw3) without also bringing in a bunch of other undesirable traits.

--
Phillip
I think Dr. Davis was specific in the book about what he was talking about chemically but he is responsive on his blog so you could ask him directly if you'd like to look into it without buying his fine book.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #632
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Are you talking about raised beds? or is something new I need to investigate?
Raised bed type I think. I briefly looked into it several years ago but not in too much detail because my work hours at the time didn't make messing with it much of an option.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #633
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Read up on both new meds I am on, both can make you weak and tired. Will discuss with Dr. on Friday.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #634
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpoWa
Oh Buffy, HBP ca be a hassle but with the right meds life is good. I take my meds at bedtime so if they make me sleepy and tired it doesn't ruin my day! Might be worth bouncing off your Dr.
Wishing you the best!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Hi Clueless, I've just bought the timber for a chook hous e the other day.Just as soon as its made I'm having some hens. We are going to build a wire run too but an elctric fence is a must for foxes. It might a good deterrant for your neighbour's dogs.....or even the neighbours.
That is so COOL. Let me know how you like fooling with the hens. My fater in law is planning on getting some lil goats and I am way excited and apprehensive about that. My neighbors used to have goats and they were always standing on top of their cars and pooping in my building.
Anyway sorry I am easily distracted
The house sounds like a dream, is there a jealous icon?
Congrats!!
I wanna do that when I retire
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #636
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Read up on both new meds I am on, both can make you weak and tired. Will discuss with Dr. on Friday.
Well at least you know why you might be so tired. I remember being drained to the max on those meds.
Maybe the Dr can suggest something to help and maybe you will get useed to the drug also.
Sorry, I know it really stinks!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #637
Blabbermouth!!!

If we have any car care enthusiast...

I just tried the Griot's Garage Spray-On Car Wash Kit out. Smells terrific. Works good but my truck is only lightly dirty. Mostly just settled dust and baked on dirt.

But you can't use it in direct sunlight. That makes the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere a clear winner because you can (and I have) use it in direct sunlight.

I wouldn't do it on any vehicle that you have taken a lot of pains to get the paint scratch and micro-marring free, even a daily driver. But if your daily driver is awesome to look at from 6+ inches away both of these are good for a quick wash.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #638
Major LCF Poster!

Numbers for today

Calories 1937

Fat 155 73%
pro 107 22%
carb 24 5%

Nite all, hope I get to sleep tonite. My doggie is gonna be in hot water if she keeps me up again.
I got 4 hrs sleep last nite. That is gonna make it harder to lose weight.
She seems calm tonight, maybe she is back to normal.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #639
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
He put ketchup on everything. There were few meals that we didn't have the ketchup bottle on the table. He put it on Jack-in-the-Box tacos one time but I think it was more of a ticked off at having JB tacos for dinner protest move than a taste good move lol. I tell you what though, a bowl of pinto beans with a good amount of ketchup stirred up in it is so tasty.

Tomato preserves. He had to talk us kids into trying it. Really convince us it was good. Then he was annoyed cause a jar of it wouldn't last long in the house lol. One year we made a huge batch cause Granny and Grandpa had a bumper crop of tomatoes in their backyard garden. It had to cure for a few days to develop its wonderful flavor but it was heaven.

Speaking of gardens, has anyone done the above ground version? I have been thinking about it for several years.
Yep, they are great. I like the containment factor for several invasive veggies too. Our soil is clay, so we have to amend it a lot, adding sandy mix, then topsoil...so this is the best way. Tomatoes though, go in large pots, they simply hate the clay here. Too bad you got me thinking on those tomato preserves...wonder how I can make it lower-carb???? Getting out the recipe box from Gma!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So happy for you!!! Great job!
Congrats on the low Buffy! Even at the cost of feeling horrible, and eating hospital food!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Man I really wanna raise some chickens. One of my daycare kids raised some last spring and he would bring me the best eggs I have ever eaten. All other eggs pale in comparison.
I just watched the fathead follow up and that made me want some chickens even worse.
I have enough land to raise some, but the neighborhood I live in has a family of redneck, wife/husband beaten, fussin, cussin people. This family has 8 to dogs and they roam free. Their dogs are raised to be mean. Plus I have a dog with some terrier in her and she loves killin birds.
I have been hesitant because of this.
I am gonna have to do some researchin and see if I can't sweet talk my hubby into helpin me with some kinda fence.
Have any of you all raised chickens?
My daycare family loved it but they are down to 1 chicken left.
Hawks, dogs, foxes something got theirs.
Hey Cheryl. My grandparents raised them, but they had a very tall and secure fence. I remember it being very messy, but the eggs were wonderful. A lady I work with brought fresh eggs all the time last year, her brother has a ranch way down in Victoria TX area, and he had dozens of chickens, until one by one the foxes came out. When he was down to just three or four he gave up. The yolks were the darkest yellow/gold you can imagine.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If we have any car care enthusiast...

I just tried the Griot's Garage Spray-On Car Wash Kit out. Smells terrific. Works good but my truck is only lightly dirty. Mostly just settled dust and baked on dirt.

But you can't use it in direct sunlight. That makes the Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere a clear winner because you can (and I have) use it in direct sunlight.

I wouldn't do it on any vehicle that you have taken a lot of pains to get the paint scratch and micro-marring free, even a daily driver. But if your daily driver is awesome to look at from 6+ inches away both of these are good for a quick wash.

Please feel free to pick up my SUV and make it wonderful again!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #643
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Please feel free to pick up my SUV and make it wonderful again!
I like driving my truck (but I'll never buy another Ford truck again) and I like SUVs but for paint care OMG!!! they suck lol.

If I do the works on my truck, it is a full size extended cab, it takes 4 or 5 hours at least by hand and at least 3 hours using a polisher. Wash, wax, windows, door jambs, interior, wheels. But it looks amazing when I put that kind of effort into it.

Here is a cool NSV story...

Let me preface this by saying that although I consider myself to be an enthusiast there are long stretches were I don't mess with keeping up the paint. Primarily because I do not have a good area to work on it (shaded paved whatever).

About 6 months before I got my truck, I started taking care of my small car's paint. When I got the truck I discovered that I couldn't clean the *%@$ front windshield completely because I couldn't quite reach the very center at the top or bottom while standing in the door.

For a car care enthusiast that is very annoying. I found that they make a step you can place on the tire but I never did get one. I might still get one because it is no doubt fantastically convenient. Anyway.

I got to 205 in February 2012 so it wasn't until late March or early April before I did a full detail on the truck.

What I discovered was..... I could reach the entire windshield standing in the exact same spot as before.

I was looking around wildly for someone to tell lol. No one was there. Probably for the best.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #644
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Yes Red, nice to find out the things we can do at a lower weight. I can now easily cross my legs again and bend down to tie my shoes. Nice

I get my eggs from a guy who has chickens. He just has a few but sells his extra eggs. They are always nice and fresh.

DS's MIL has a few chickens in Austin. My DGS loves to go out and feed the chickens. Last year she ended up losing all of them to critters and a hawk. This year she built a better, safer coop and now has a rooster which seems to help.

I seem to feel a little better today and I go back to visit Dr. tomorrow. Hopefully, my body is starting to adjust to these new meds and they seem to be working on keeping BP in control.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #645
Blabbermouth!!!

Hiya Buffy! Glad you are feeling a little better

Any blood in the fresh eggs?

What about salmonella on the egg shells? Is that an issue at all or how do you all deal with it? Rinse them in a sanitizing solution (bleach water or something)?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #646
Big Yapper!!!!

No blood in these eggs but I grew up around farming and chickens so I know it happens. We would just toss those eggs and I have never worried that much about the egg shells. We would wash the eggs in soapy water just so they were nice but didn't sanitize them.

I think part of the USA's problem today is that we have become too germ obsessed, we need to get a little dirt in our lives to build our immune systems. Not so easy to say though if you get food poisoning, etc. Right?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #647
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No blood in these eggs but I grew up around farming and chickens so I know it happens. We would just toss those eggs and I have never worried that much about the egg shells. We would wash the eggs in soapy water just so they were nice but didn't sanitize them.

I think part of the USA's problem today is that we have become too germ obsessed, we need to get a little dirt in our lives to build our immune systems. Not so easy to say though if you get food poisoning, etc. Right?
Very true. Even as a confirmed germophobe (we are frequently referred to by the derogatory 'pain in the butt' label which is frankly a double whammy for any practicing germophobe), I agree that as a nation we are too obsessed with it.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I like driving my truck (but I'll never buy another Ford truck again) and I like SUVs but for paint care OMG!!! they suck lol.

If I do the works on my truck, it is a full size extended cab, it takes 4 or 5 hours at least by hand and at least 3 hours using a polisher. Wash, wax, windows, door jambs, interior, wheels. But it looks amazing when I put that kind of effort into it.

Here is a cool NSV story...

Let me preface this by saying that although I consider myself to be an enthusiast there are long stretches were I don't mess with keeping up the paint. Primarily because I do not have a good area to work on it (shaded paved whatever).

About 6 months before I got my truck, I started taking care of my small car's paint. When I got the truck I discovered that I couldn't clean the *%@$ front windshield completely because I couldn't quite reach the very center at the top or bottom while standing in the door.

For a car care enthusiast that is very annoying. I found that they make a step you can place on the tire but I never did get one. I might still get one because it is no doubt fantastically convenient. Anyway.

I got to 205 in February 2012 so it wasn't until late March or early April before I did a full detail on the truck.

What I discovered was..... I could reach the entire windshield standing in the exact same spot as before.

I was looking around wildly for someone to tell lol. No one was there. Probably for the best.
Great story!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Red, you put so much care into keeping your vehicles looking nice! I haven't washed my car in 2 years, I figure it gets a nice bath every time it rains.

Today, for the first time in my life, I wiped down the windshield with one of those squeegee things at the gas station. I feel like I might've just turned a corner.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #650
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Red, you put so much care into keeping your vehicles looking nice! I haven't washed my car in 2 years, I figure it gets a nice bath every time it rains.

Today, for the first time in my life, I wiped down the windshield with one of those squeegee things at the gas station. I feel like I might've just turned a corner.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Hey Deb, let us know how it goes. You are accurate that proteins can be acidic to our systems, meats in particular...I have the ACV a few times a week, I may try your drink, I take it straight and then drink a bit of water. It always makes me go "bbbllleeehhhhh". I didn't much worry about this until I got well into my 40s...now I try to balance the diet for the bones!
So I retested with my PH strips last night, about 2 hours after I have my ACV,water and baking soda drink. Still considered acidic(6.25 ish) but not nearly as bad as before. I'll go back to having this drink in the morning and in the evening. Maybe adding in a few more green veggies and salads too.

apparently ideal body PH is between 6.75 and 7.5. Anything over 7.5 is getting into too alkaline territory and conversely anything under 6.00 is in the very acidic zone.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Too bad you got me thinking on those tomato preserves...wonder how I can make it lower-carb???? Getting out the recipe box from Gma!
If you figure out a LC recipe for the tomato preserves, can I request you post the recipe?

I'll pull out my grandma's tomato relish recipe and see if I can LC it...I love that stuff, especially on meatloaf.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #653
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
Hey guys! Congrats on all your losses!!!

Been MIA for the last week or so. Had a day conference/training for the Irish Girl Guides on Saturday which was great and it was my daughters 9th birthday on Tuesday. The cake was a big success and I'm thinking of making some Valentine themed cupcakes to see if I can make some extra money. And I've been roped in to making St Patricks Day cupcakes and a huge themed cake to raffle off after the Parade. Slightly annoying that I can't scrape the bowls and have frequent "tests" but I'll get used to it!! Back on plan as of today and not weighing in until Monday!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #654
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! Awesome cake Gail! You and the girls did a great job
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
WOW! You are talented!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #656
Blabbermouth!!!

My second favorite HWC float, maybe even tied for first place, is with Big Red Zero.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome cake Gail!!!
Looks so great!

Todays calories 1679

Fat 133 70.2%
Pro 100 23.5%
Carb 27 6.3%
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #658
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My second favorite HWC float, maybe even tied for first place, is with Big Red Zero.
I wish I could find a diet soda I liked. They all have taste to me.
What is big red zero?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #659
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I wish I could find a diet soda I liked. They all have taste to me.
What is big red zero?

You have never heard of Big Red???

I'm not sure what that flavor is reminiscent of. Sort of like cream soda but different.

Awesome if you take a 10oz bottle (from 30 years ago) and pour some peanuts down into it. Mmmm mmmm.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Cheryl. My grandparents raised them, but they had a very tall and secure fence. I remember it being very messy, but the eggs were wonderful. A lady I work with brought fresh eggs all the time last year, her brother has a ranch way down in Victoria TX area, and he had dozens of chickens, until one by one the foxes came out. When he was down to just three or four he gave up. The yolks were the darkest yellow/gold you can imagine.
The eggs my Daycare family brings have that wondeful golden yolk.
They are so good. I never got to tried them boiled, they got gone to quick.
I wondered if they would be messy. My DC kids raised Ducks one time A parent showed up with 6 and said here, do this with the kids
They were the nastiest things I have ever seen. My dog killed one so I had to rig up a lil fence. in my play yard. Duck crap was everywhere. Plus it was 100 degrees. They started falling over from the heat and I had to bring them inside. (they were very small then)
Ducks are NASTY!
Of course hen would be different if I wanted them and was prepared for them.
Closed Thread