Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #571
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
I really should be getting some work done but....
somethings been going around in my head .Yes, the cogs do move sometimes.
I am wondering if those of us who find it hard to make low carb work from a weight loss perspective are people who have never eaten alot of food which is in the SAD and SBD . . Do people who have spent years eating SAD get a better response in terms of weight loss and of course health improvements when they convert to low carb/ high fat . Ive heard mention of the 'golden shot' with low carb whereby the first attempt is always the most successful. I never did have much of a resonse and wondered if this was the reason.
Since being a kid Ive always eaten a lot of fatty meat, butter etc and although Ive eaten bread ,I mostly made it myself. I gave up sugar 30 years ago and eat very few cakes and biscuits.
Just wonderin.
My thinking is that people who don't see results with tightly controlled LC are the unlucky few that have unique metabolic challenges.

As for the golden shot thing, typically the great success and subsequent hard row to plow are separated by many years of metabolic abuse and age related issues. It is much more difficult to do stuff at 40 years of age than 20 years of age. I imagine, likewise, that creating a caloric deficit is harder for the older version of a person.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Phillip, have you read Wheat Belly? I'm curious how you would characterize the advent of wheat protein (beg pardon if I mangle the correct terminology) that can pass the blood-brain barrier thanks to modern crop cultivation techniques.
No. Not yet.

I guess because I don't eat wheat at all (or any other grain), purported negative aspects of this or that component of its current or past composition seem of less interest to me. Without doubt grains are one of the sources of carbohydrate macromolecules. So that is already a reason to avoid them.

I am pretty sure though that the epidemic of celiac and celiac-like epidemics has less to do with changes in the composition of our grains, and more to do with our victory over multi-cellular parasites.

There is a hypothesis that I find very compelling, that our immune systems, up until, at most, a century ago, needed to repel, or failing that, keep in check a variety of parasites. Now that we have pretty much eliminated multi-cellular parasites from our bodies, in some fraction of us, that arm of the immune system that normally would be protecting us from them, goes looking for the invaders it knows must be there somewhere. But they are not.

Eventually, in some of us, this part of our immune system finally latches onto a biomolecule that "looks" enough like something our parasites of old would have shed. Only instead it is some storage protein from peanuts or wheat. Once evidence of infiltration (however mistaken) is there, a larger response can be generated. This time some of our own proteins or other biomolecules are discovered to be part of the infiltration. Soon we are at war with ourselves.

Nice story, eh? That is all it is as far as I know. But that doesn't mean it is wrong.

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Lordy hun, Andy and Opie was raised up on some side meat.

Salt cured fatty meat taken from the side of the Hog, I reckon.
You can get it all over the place around here but it has no nutritional info.
Comes in big chunks at the country stores and produce markets. You have to slice it up and fry it. It is tougher than bacon and loaded with fat. Lawd it's good.
can you please send me some of that? sounds delish!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Are they adamant about eating to that level? Like - Period end of question? Is it a calculated amount? Do they account for activity level as in less for more sedentary people?
They don't mention activity level and it seems to be a somewhat general number. They do say that no one should go less than 2000 calories.

Quote:
I found that melted CO and solid CO measured with a TBS can be half again as much CO between the two forms. If you have a scale it is best to measure it for consistent usage.
Sorry Darin, this confused me a little. Is it more accurate to measure the CO melted or solid? I don't have a scale, so using my measuring spoon, which is more likely to actually be 2 tbsp?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #575
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Quote:
My thinking is that people who don't see results with tightly controlled LC are the unlucky few that have unique metabolic challenges.

As for the golden shot thing, typically the great success and subsequent hard row to plow are separated by many years of metabolic abuse and age related issues. It is much more difficult to do stuff at 40 years of age than 20 years of age. I imagine, likewise, that creating a caloric deficit is harder for the older version of a person.
Hi Red, sorry ,I dont quite understand the last bit about caloric deficit .Why would it more difficult for an older person .? Also I thought that NK didnt rely on caloric deficit. I am trying it now as other versions have failed.!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
NK most certainly does require a calorie deficit to lose weight, as Phinney demonstrated with his bicyclists you can maintain weight on the diet if you eat enough fat...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #577
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Okay, I think our outlooks maybe more closely aligned here. But I think I have a slightly different take on what the real problem is.

First, it does seem like these agri-business companies have tin ears. I have some sense of what current technologies are capable of -- that is solving some of mankind's current problems. But what is the first thing that gets tackled? I mean it is the thing that seems like it will make the most money for the companies.

So you have to ask, how is alienating your customers (and their customers) a reasonable option? Why would these companies be so short-sighted as to use these obviously thuggish tactics?

Well, I don't think this has anything to do with science or technology. It is embedded in the design of our economies. Specifically the way we structure investment into larger companies. When it is just the customers and the companies interacting, they are likely to make decisions that benefit both. However, there is this 800 pound gorilla in the room: investors. Law in the US is structured so that officers of a publicly traded company must take the best interests of their investors or they face legal repercussions.

So, on the one side you have your customers and on the other you have your investors. Your investors are mostly wealthy and used to deploying the legal machinery available to them. Your customers mostly are not. Whose best interests get looked after first?

That, it seems to me, how you turn the image of something you would think should be pretty fuzzy among the public (feeding people) into that of a thug. Well, to whom are you most legally obligated? Your customers (who would likely be forcing you to make decisions that would be better long term) or your investors (who, given the structure of our economy live quarter to quarter).

--
Phillip
I disagree with your assessment of the situation Phillip.

Fiduciary responsibility without the force of law is what? There could be no investment mechanism for groups which means no way for an individual to take a $100 a month and turn it into a retirement fund to support themselves when they no longer work.

The customers are the investors. They all participate in some sort of a 401k program. As purchasers, they invest in the company every time they buy the product of the company. Putting aside white-collar crimes, how then is this symbiotic relationship subverted? It isn't because an Officer of a company faces legal consequences for making financial decision contrary to fiscal gain. And the negligence generally needs to be very gross for real penalty or internment at the local low flight risk facility.

The real 800 pound gorilla in the room is the government. Tens of thousands of pages of regulations and rules. Corruption and cronyism. Protectionist policies given the force of law by an unaccountable and omnipresent bureaucracy.

What insulates the company from the customer's wrath isn't the legal team of an investment house. It is the 75,000 pages of regulations with more being added all the time, and, the laws passed by politicians that were often written by people that wouldn't know a crop of corn from a field of strawberries.

/dismount_soapbox

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #578
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
They don't mention activity level and it seems to be a somewhat general number. They do say that no one should go less than 2000 calories.
Interesting.

Quote:
Sorry Darin, this confused me a little. Is it more accurate to measure the CO melted or solid? I don't have a scale, so using my measuring spoon, which is more likely to actually be 2 tbsp?
Without a scale you almost have to measure with it melted to get a consistent amount every time. What I found was that melted a T of CO was maybe .2oz while a solid T of CO was .4 or .5.

When I cook lunch later I'll try to do that measurement again in both forms for a more exact amount.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #579
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
NK most certainly does require a calorie deficit to lose weight, as Phinney demonstrated with his bicyclists you can maintain weight on the diet if you eat enough fat...
[Edited] Ah, I see what you were responding to.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
And I haven't gotten all the way through it, but for those that have read Wheat Belly:

What do you think about the author's claims regarding the acidity of meat and balancing it out with vegetables? I get the feeling that he would promote a veggie heavy diet (without gluten) over a meat heavy diet. He says plants are mostly alkaline and balance out acid in the diet.

Anyway, as much as I love veggies, I can't eat them too often or I get a digestive flareup. I like my diet being mostly meats. :-) Now I'm freaking out about acidity and osteoperosis.
I do think protein can acidify your system. I don't eat a ton of veggies but then I generally feel like my protein digests better if I regularly have a hot drink of 2TBSP of raw Apple Cider Vinegar, hot water, sweetened with 1 drop sweetzfree, and 1/4 tsp baking soda. I didn't used to think I had over acid body but I got some of the PH strips and I was highly acidic. With the alkalizing drink of ACV and baking soda daily, I feel better and I have less issues with constipation. Maybe pick up some PH testing strips and see what your system is like, if its high acid, maybe try the warm alkalizing drink and see what happens.

I've forgotten to re-test since I've been using this drink but I'll try it tonight and see if it make a difference. I just know that I feel better when I drink it...no proof or numbers to be convincing just my own milage on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
can you please send me some of that? sounds delish!!
Sure thing
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Fiduciary responsibility without the force of law is what? There could be no investment mechanism for groups which means no way for an individual to take a $100 a month and turn it into a retirement fund to support themselves when they no longer work.

The customers are the investors. They all participate in some sort of a 401k program. As purchasers, they invest in the company every time they buy the product of the company. Putting aside white-collar crimes, how then is this symbiotic relationship subverted? It isn't because an Officer of a company faces legal consequences for making financial decision contrary to fiscal gain. And the negligence generally needs to be very gross for real penalty or internment at the local low flight risk facility.

The real 800 pound gorilla in the room is the government. Tens of thousands of pages of regulations and rules. Corruption and cronyism. Protectionist policies given the force of law by an unaccountable and omnipresent bureaucracy.

What insulates the company from the customer's wrath isn't the legal team of an investment house. It is the 75,000 pages of regulations with more being added all the time, and, the laws passed by politicians that were often written by people that wouldn't know a crop of corn from a field of strawberries.

/dismount_soapbox

I realize that you have to motivation to invest or investment would diminish. But are you sure that would be a bad thing long term? We have a leveraged to the hilt economy as it is. How are you liking that?

Also, I wasn't the one complaining that the USDA and FDA don't regulate GMOs. (I have no idea whether this is even true.) That was SG.

But this all comes down to managing risks. One way that works well for a group is to externalize all those risks while keeping all the benefits internal. That is where the government and "crony capitalism" comes in.

Want to know an industry that is negatively impacted by overwrought government regulation? GMOs. Don't believe me? You should listen to Ingo Potrykus, the man that engineered "Golden Rice".

While initially he did run afoul of patents held by Monsanto etc. in his attempt to create a cultivar of rice that would eliminate a major source of childhood blindness in many countries, that was only in the beginning. The agribusiness companies rapidly changed their tunes and tried to help him. In a talk he gave about a decade ago he said his main obstacles came from government regulations that required many millions of dollars to be spent to "prove" that somehow these carotenoid pathway genes would cause some negative impact. Keep in mind that you have an epidemic of blindness to consider if you do nothing. But that counted for nothing as far as the way the regulations were written.

Anyway, I guess I am drifting from the purpose of this forum. But what I write is not completely unrelated. What would be the ultimate impact of our being proved correct. I mean, say NuSI and/or the Paleo movement, etc. result in people realizing how bad consumption of large amounts of carbohydrates is for them? Now what?

Some of the changes could be dealt with fairly easily. Instead of the ultra-lean genetics currently favored by livestock farmers, just go the other way. Okay, but what about sustainability? The whole reason we can support this many billion people on the planet are those grains that we just have made clear are either not good, or very bad for us.

Given time, we can adapt those crops as well. Lower their omega-6 content, even produce varieties that store "super-starch", instead of just starch. But I don't like our chances of doing so in a limited amount of time if we want to insist we do it with our hands tied behind our backs. That is without using GMO technology.

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Me too, never liked Cabbage until about a year ago. Now I make a soup that DH and I love. Easy too.
Brown Ground beef and drain. Add it to a pot with some water, chopped cabbage, chicken broth or stock and a can of Rotel tomatoes. (I never measure, just throw in what I have). Let it cook 30 or 45 minutes then we eat it the rest of the day. Lunch and supper. Dang that is good stuff. Its spicey alittle.
That's how my mom makes her Cabbage Soup, thanks for the reminder. I will make some this week, and add in a half pound of butter to make it fattier. GB in Canada is generally 80/20 or lower fat so it really needs the added fat. I also put in onion and garlic, I can't cook anything without both.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #584
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Red, sorry ,I dont quite understand the last bit about caloric deficit .Why would it more difficult for an older person .? Also I thought that NK didnt rely on caloric deficit. I am trying it now as other versions have failed.!
As you age your body gets less efficient at what it does internally. Externally your activity level, and therefore your calorie expenditure, slows down. It is harder to dispose of the energy you ate in that tasty lasagna meal at the local Italian joint with the never-empty bread barge.

A 20 year old may play hours of one on one at the basketball court on Saturday while a married man of 35 may mow the yard and then sit on the couch with the kids watching a great movie eating popcorn. Life changes and more responsibility means less free time to burn calories. And more working hours means being too mentally drained to want to go do something.

*All* weight loss regimens require a calorie deficit. You have to expend more energy than you consume so that your body turns inward for energy to burn.

What LC and NK do that other ways of losing weight don't do is make the calorie deficit much much easier to manage.

Aside from the health benefits unrelated to weight loss...

LC/NK stabilizes insulin which makes it much easier for the body to consume stored body fat for energy. That is why so many people can go for many hours without eating or feeling hungry - the body is using stored body fat for fuel.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-22-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #585
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I realize that you have to motivation to invest or investment would diminish. But are you sure that would be a bad thing long term? We have a leveraged to the hilt economy as it is. How are you liking that?
Not diminish. Evaporate. Yes, it would be a bad thing long term, short term, middle term heh. Speaking in broad generalities, without investment capital we wouldn't have had an economy that has achieved the wonders that we have while giving every single person the liberty of pursuing their own goals as they choose.

Quote:
Also, I wasn't the one complaining that the USDA and FDA don't regulate GMOs. (I have no idea whether this is even true.) That was SG.
I'm not clear on what you are pointing out here. My post was only about the characterization of investors being the 800 pound gorilla.

Quote:
But this all comes down to managing risks. One way that works well for a group is to externalize all those risks while keeping all the benefits internal. That is where the government and "crony capitalism" comes in.

Want to know an industry that is negatively impacted by overwrought government regulation? GMOs. Don't believe me? You should listen to Ingo Potrykus, the man that engineered "Golden Rice".

While initially he did run afoul of patents held by Monsanto etc. in his attempt to create a cultivar of rice that would eliminate a major source of childhood blindness in many countries, that was only in the beginning. The agribusiness companies rapidly changed their tunes and tried to help him. In a talk he gave about a decade ago he said his main obstacles came from government regulations that required many millions of dollars to be spent to "prove" that somehow these carotenoid pathway genes would cause some negative impact. Keep in mind that you have an epidemic of blindness to consider if you do nothing. But that counted for nothing as far as the way the regulations were written.
Exactly!! I think this was actually SG's point too. Advocating that the feds make sure GMOs are safe for human consumption is not equivalent to endorsing a lumbering behemoth that is so cumbersome in its execution of that responsibility that it actively works to prevent a man from saving millions of children from blindness.

I wonder how many rice industry lobbyist were working hard and spending a lot of money on bureaucrats to see that this competitor product never hit the market.

Why should it cost many millions of dollars to prove the safety? That is the real question. Not that it needs to be done but why is it so hard to do (aside from the science).

Quote:
Anyway, I guess I am drifting from the purpose of this forum. But what I write is not completely unrelated. What would be the ultimate impact of our being proved correct. I mean, say NuSI and/or the Paleo movement, etc. result in people realizing how bad consumption of large amounts of carbohydrates is for them? Now what?
Vegans often give this as an argument. I cannot remember the name of the Vegan that refutes it but she is a paleo convertee (I think paleo, a meat eater now at any rate).

Quote:
Given time, we can adapt those crops as well. Lower their omega-6 content, even produce varieties that store "super-starch", instead of just starch. But I don't like our chances of doing so in a limited amount of time if we want to insist we do it with our hands tied behind our backs. That is without using GMO technology.

--
Phillip
Technology yes! You put it very well in your response earlier. It is the result not the tools that must be addressed.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

/dismount_soapbox

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #587
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No. Not yet.

I guess because I don't eat wheat at all (or any other grain), purported negative aspects of this or that component of its current or past composition seem of less interest to me. Without doubt grains are one of the sources of carbohydrate macromolecules. So that is already a reason to avoid them.

I am pretty sure though that the epidemic of celiac and celiac-like epidemics has less to do with changes in the composition of our grains, and more to do with our victory over multi-cellular parasites.

There is a hypothesis that I find very compelling, that our immune systems, up until, at most, a century ago, needed to repel, or failing that, keep in check a variety of parasites. Now that we have pretty much eliminated multi-cellular parasites from our bodies, in some fraction of us, that arm of the immune system that normally would be protecting us from them, goes looking for the invaders it knows must be there somewhere. But they are not.

Eventually, in some of us, this part of our immune system finally latches onto a biomolecule that "looks" enough like something our parasites of old would have shed. Only instead it is some storage protein from peanuts or wheat. Once evidence of infiltration (however mistaken) is there, a larger response can be generated. This time some of our own proteins or other biomolecules are discovered to be part of the infiltration. Soon we are at war with ourselves.

Nice story, eh? That is all it is as far as I know. But that doesn't mean it is wrong.

--
Phillip
I'll be very interested in hearing your take on it when you've read it
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #588
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Exactly!! I think this was actually SG's point too. Advocating that the feds make sure GMOs are safe for human consumption is not equivalent to endorsing a lumbering behemoth that is so cumbersome in its execution of that responsibility that it actively works to prevent a man from saving millions of children from blindness.
Sure, but there are plenty of people who will never be convinced, no matter what the evidence presented, that GMOs are "safe". And these are people that get listened to, despite any reasonable evidence to support their view point.

I don't know, maybe the internet is not the vehicle for transmission of perfectly accurate information we might have hoped it was...

Quote:
I wonder how many rice industry lobbyist were working hard and spending a lot of money on bureaucrats to see that this competitor product never hit the market.
That would be zero Red, because Golden Rice was never anything they would see as a threat commercially. Even if they did, they could just of licensed the technology itself.

That really was the eye-opener listening to Ingo's talk, even though initially he tangled with legal considerations (patents) over the GMO tech he was using, that all rapidly resolved itself. Then he was left acres of red tape from the government and the ill will of Green groups who denounced him.

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not diminish. Evaporate. Yes, it would be a bad thing long term, short term, middle term heh. Speaking in broad generalities, without investment capital we wouldn't have had an economy that has achieved the wonders that we have while giving every single person the liberty of pursuing their own goals as they choose.
I am just saying that I think the interests of the consumers are frequently at odds with those of the investors and generally it is the investors that get their way. And I think this is the result of a fundamental design flaw in the system. It allows the monied to cast everything to benefit themselves.

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #590
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I am just saying that I think the interests of the consumers are frequently at odds with those of the investors and generally it is the investors that get their way. And I think this is the result of a fundamental design flaw in the system. It allows the monied to cast everything to benefit themselves.

--
Phillip
Without government collusion it could never happen. I doubt we are going to agree on the root causes Phillip. No worries!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #591
Blabbermouth!!!

Has anyone else downloaded and listened to the JM podcast with Dr. Gundry?

'atlcx-35-gundry' and it is "EPISODE 35 on the topic “High-Fat Diets: Good vs. Bad” that aired LIVE on January 17, 2013."

There are a lot of really good JM podcasts. This one ranks up there, to me, as one of several that are really excellent.

At one point he makes the very interesting statement that 9 fish oil caps are better than 2 anti-depressant Rx pills. Wow! JM failed me because he didn't follow up to ask what dosage 9 caps represented.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #592
Major LCF Poster!

Hey everybody, Hope you have all had a wonderful day.
Hope your all warm. yikes

Calories today came in at 1973

Fat 175 79% and let me just say :yummy
Pro 90 18%
carbs 15 3%

Geez my dog is acting so weird. She whined half the nite and kept us up. Now she is crawling under my feet every second. Stuck to me like glue. And I kept her up almost all day so I know she has to be tired. The neighbors dog is doing weird stuff too.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #593
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

'atlcx-35-gundry' and it is "EPISODE 35 on the topic “High-Fat Diets: Good vs. Bad” that aired LIVE on January 17, 2013."

There are a lot of really good JM podcasts. This one ranks up there, to me, as one of several that are really excellent.

At one point he makes the very interesting statement that 9 fish oil caps are better than 2 anti-depressant Rx pills. Wow! JM failed me because he didn't follow up to ask what dosage 9 caps represented.
Thanks Red, Downloaded and ready to listen to it in the am. Now, any ideas on slipping slippin 9 fish oil caps into someones food without them knowing .
In other News, my DH gets crabby when it's cold.
In other news, ITS COLD!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
well SG61 , since you ask.Its not going so good.The porkometer showed a 2 lb rise again!
So, after having a hard talk with myself I decided that my portion control has to come into play.
What I have decided and I'll let you know how it goes is to stick to the 80/15/5 but work it from 60gms protein as my starting point. this brings me back to about 1400 kcals which is where I would lose on conventional CR diet.
I dont know what else to do, Ive eaten more ,eaten less ,more protein, less protein ,less fat more fat AAARRGGHH Ive read opinions and testimonials until I'm not right in the head .
I'm thinking that I'll swing between 1300 and 1500 so that it dosnt get too predictable.

I'm glad someone asked the question about 'side meat' as I have never heard of it. We only get belly pork. Which roast in the oven is my all time fav. My Mum used to cook it up for us when we got home from school and Ive always loved it.
I think you have to do what is best for you. Tweak it a bit. Seems NK can be very different for all of us. We used the "side meat" to spice our beans, until my mother was convinced it was "lethal" foods, condemmed to never be used again. The beans were never the same....
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I knew that white pepper one had to be good! I ran by Wal-Mart last night and they only had the mild yellow label kind. Have to check Kroger and Albertsons next time.

It is so strange that we never had fried cabbage when I was growing up. Dad grew up on southern cooking - greens, pinto beans and cornbread, ketchup with eggs (shudder), biscuits and gravy, tomato preserves, and so on.

Agreed on the hot version of Rotel. It is impossible to enjoy a dish when you are frantically waving your hand in front of your mouth in a futile attempt to quell the sensation that your lips and tongue have caught fire.
Ketchup with eggs always made me look the other way! My grandmother would not allow anyone to put it on foods she cooked! Tomato preserves....forgot about those. We would take that stuff, put it on a biscuit, then melt cheese on top!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I do think protein can acidify your system. I don't eat a ton of veggies but then I generally feel like my protein digests better if I regularly have a hot drink of 2TBSP of raw Apple Cider Vinegar, hot water, sweetened with 1 drop sweetzfree, and 1/4 tsp baking soda. I didn't used to think I had over acid body but I got some of the PH strips and I was highly acidic. With the alkalizing drink of ACV and baking soda daily, I feel better and I have less issues with constipation. Maybe pick up some PH testing strips and see what your system is like, if its high acid, maybe try the warm alkalizing drink and see what happens.

I've forgotten to re-test since I've been using this drink but I'll try it tonight and see if it make a difference. I just know that I feel better when I drink it...no proof or numbers to be convincing just my own milage on it.
Hey Deb, let us know how it goes. You are accurate that proteins can be acidic to our systems, meats in particular...I have the ACV a few times a week, I may try your drink, I take it straight and then drink a bit of water. It always makes me go "bbbllleeehhhhh". I didn't much worry about this until I got well into my 40s...now I try to balance the diet for the bones!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey everybody, Hope you have all had a wonderful day.
Hope your all warm. yikes

Calories today came in at 1973

Fat 175 79% and let me just say :yummy
Pro 90 18%
carbs 15 3%

Geez my dog is acting so weird. She whined half the nite and kept us up. Now she is crawling under my feet every second. Stuck to me like glue. And I kept her up almost all day so I know she has to be tired. The neighbors dog is doing weird stuff too.
Hi Cheryl. It was very nice down here in Texas today. Not quite toasty, but I'll take it. Oh my goodness, what is bothering your dog? It a storm coming?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #598
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Red, where can we download that?
Real quick cause I have got to hit the sack. Google 'atlcx-35-gundry' and it should be the first hit. When you get to the JM page, scroll down towards the bottom and there'll be a link to download the mp3.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #599
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:

listening to it now, very interesting
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Ketchup with eggs always made me look the other way! My grandmother would not allow anyone to put it on foods she cooked! Tomato preserves....forgot about those. We would take that stuff, put it on a biscuit, then melt cheese on top!

What? Ketchup with eggs is the best!! It is actually something I lust for when I'm eating low carb, and the sugar free ketchup just doesn't do it for me. I was born and raised in NJ right outside of Philly and this is how everyone I knew ate their eggs- family, friends, etc. I didn't know it was a Southern thing, figured it was a Northeast thing. In Savannah, people cringe when they see me eating ketchup on eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hey Deb, let us know how it goes. You are accurate that proteins can be acidic to our systems, meats in particular...I have the ACV a few times a week, I may try your drink, I take it straight and then drink a bit of water. It always makes me go "bbbllleeehhhhh". I didn't much worry about this until I got well into my 40s...now I try to balance the diet for the bones!
I think I read somewhere that its good to really dilute ACV with water because it does a number on your tooth enamel.

Quote:
Real quick cause I have got to hit the sack. Google 'atlcx-35-gundry' and it should be the first hit. When you get to the JM page, scroll down towards the bottom and there'll be a link to download the mp3.

Thank you!

Good morning everyone, 127.8 this morning, so -2 from 2 days ago. Had a small .4 bump up yesterday, but it was probably due to too much protein. I think I found my sweet spot-- btw 58-65 protein grams. Referred back to the beginning of December when I lost about 10 pounds in 5 or so days, and regardless of calories or salt intake, as long as I was eating in that range and keeping carbs below 20 net, I was dropping weight quickly. So happy, I feel like something finally clicked.
Closed Thread