Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I do not. But it can't be 100% fat if there is any meat in the cut
Hehe, I know. Finally found one place that said 43 calories an oz. 3.3g fat and 3g protein. So I guess it is around 55% fat. I would have thought the fat would have been a lil higher.
The packaging didn't have the Nutritional info.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do not. But it can't be 100% fat if there is any meat in the cut
DH like to pick on me about being a FAT Eater. The jokes on him cause I am having sidemeat and cabbage for supper and I may not share.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #543
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
DH like to pick on me about being a FAT Eater. The jokes on him cause I am having sidemeat and cabbage for supper and I may not share.
lol

ummmm uh! (or however the heck you spell that sound you make when something sounds scrumptious). I love cabbage fried in bacon grease.

It is only the last 10 years or so that I discovered how awesomely good cabbage is (except as an ingredient soups or stews I always liked that). Somehow I stumbled through life always seeing over-boiled yukky cabbage.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #544
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hehe, I know. Finally found one place that said 43 calories an oz. 3.3g fat and 3g protein. So I guess it is around 55% fat. I would have thought the fat would have been a lil higher.
The packaging didn't have the Nutritional info.
That is very annoying alright. You might try emailing the mfg to see what they say.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #545
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
lol

ummmm uh! (or however the heck you spell that sound you make when something sounds scrumptious). I love cabbage fried in bacon grease.

It is only the last 10 years or so that I discovered how awesomely good cabbage is (except as an ingredient soups or stews I always liked that). Somehow I stumbled through life always seeing over-boiled yukky cabbage.
Me too, never liked Cabbage until about a year ago. Now I make a soup that DH and I love. Easy too.
Brown Ground beef and drain. Add it to a pot with some water, chopped cabbage, chicken broth or stock and a can of Rotel tomatoes. (I never measure, just throw in what I have). Let it cook 30 or 45 minutes then we eat it the rest of the day. Lunch and supper. Dang that is good stuff. Its spicey alittle.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #546
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Me too, never liked Cabbage until about a year ago. Now I make a soup that DH and I love. Easy too.
Brown Ground beef and drain. Add it to a pot with some water, chopped cabbage, chicken broth or stock and a can of Rotel tomatoes. (I never measure, just throw in what I have). Let it cook 30 or 45 minutes then we eat it the rest of the day. Lunch and supper. Dang that is good stuff. Its spicey alittle.
Man that sounds good. And Rotel is so good! Have you tried the chunky version? It is all I get if I use Rotel. It only comes in the 'regular' heat but that is usually spicy enough for me.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #547
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Man that sounds good. And Rotel is so good! Have you tried the chunky version? It is all I get if I use Rotel. It only comes in the 'regular' heat but that is usually spicy enough for me.
No haven't tried it. I will see if I can find it round here. I haven't been brave enough to try the Hot rotel yet.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #548
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No haven't tried it. I will see if I can find it round here. I haven't been brave enough to try the Hot rotel yet.
I did one time. They ain't kidding about 'hot'. Regular is usually about right but it can be on the hot side sometimes. In fact, I used to drain some of the liquid to turn the heat down a little on the normal version.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #549
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi Buffy, glad to hear that your making progress.Take care.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #550
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red you are funny!guess you will have to come down to PR. To get me out jail!!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Checking in. Today is the first day in a long time that I didn't wake up to very high BP so hope that means that my new meds are starting to work as they hope.

This is short, I am still weak and so using my Ipad.

I haven't gone back to catch up on all the posts so will just send out a wish that everyone is going well on their plan.

Had to laugh at the cardiac/diabetic diet the hospital served me. LF of course for the cardiac part but bread with every meal, mashed potatoes and canned gravy. Fruit with every meal. Sherbert for dessert and one day they came in with an afternoon snack of a Rice Krispie bar!!! Just went with it, I only had 4 meals I think while I was at this hospital and was back on LC the instant I got home. Weight is the same but out of ketosis still.

my heart checks out ok except for the thickening of the walls of the heart. No explanation of why my BP went haywire but at this point, they are just working on changing meds to get it back in line. Can't drive yet and limited activity which isn't hard b/c I am very weak.

Besides the good test results, the most exciting thing is that I asked for a copy of my labs and my cholesterol which was 232 in Oct. has come down to 177 so I don't need the lipitor which was prescribed back in Oct. but which I never took. All my levels looked great except LDL which was just 15 points to high. Cardiologist said to keep doing my LC plan That was just the news I needed to hear right then, I was so afraid that they were going to try to tell me i had to change my WOE.
Buffy, it is so good to hear from you, and good to know those numbers are going in the right direction! Thats great that your doc is on board!

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Was if a high fat vodka fat fast?

I have got some other LC stuff bumping around in my head this morning but I believe the case is like this - as soon as you burn through your carb calories you begin serious ketone production. Everyone goes in and out of ketosis (ketone production), even high carbers, if they deplete their carb calories and don't eat more carbs or overeat protein (gluconeogenesis). I betcha that high carbers that follow the proscription to not eat after 6pm wake up with hellish morning breath because of that. The nail polish type ketones are excreted through urine and breath (and eyeballs and sweat and so on).
Haha, no, no alcohol yesterday! Haven't been in the mood for it lately.. perhaps because I abused my liver almost every night I was in TX

I didn't think I'd get into ketosis so quickly because the day before I fat fasted, I took down about half a box of bran flakes (for those bathroom problems I'd been discussing earlier).. bran flakes ALWAYS work and I was desperate. Anyway, I reckon it was about 200 carbs, didn't think I'd blaze through them so quickly.

Quote:
Is rum LC???? Cause that is what I was angling for. And a couple of bath robes from ya'lls resort. heh
As long as it isn't spiced, its clear, right? Clear alcohols are OK!

In other news, just pulled a pumpkin bake out of the oven, and it was curiously REALLY puffy and browned on top. Then I realized I had my oven set on 500 degrees instead of 350. Whoops.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

I have a time keeping my protein lower.
Did better today, and I already can tell my appetite is reducing again.
NK is the bomb.
I think posting my numbers keeps me honest so here they are.

My numbers for today

Calories 1890
Fat 161 76%
Protein 97 20%
carbs 17 4%

Breakfast Coffee w? CO and HWC
Egg yolks and bacon

Lunch Egg salad w/ mayo and sausage

supper side meat and cabbage

snack jalapenos and cream cheese.

hardly seems imaginable to say you are trying to lose weight eating this type of foods.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post

In other news, just pulled a pumpkin bake out of the oven, and it was curiously REALLY puffy and browned on top. Then I realized I had my oven set on 500 degrees instead of 350. Whoops.
I hate when I do that. Saturday when I was cooking my chicken I stuck them in and turned the oven off, noticed it a few minutes later.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
It was DISGUSTING... tasted like a burnt tire. Tossed it and ate a strip steak instead. =)

Protein grams were a little higher for today, but still within range. I'll take the tradeoff.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Buffy....take good care of yourself...glad the family is coming and going to keep you amused! I cannot believe (well, yes I can) the food the hospital fed you!

Becky.....you did great with the meat/eggs/fat eating....you are nearly to goal and have a few days to achieve it....you're doing great.

Cheryl....I have read and re-read your post, but do not understand......What on earth is "side meat"????

Mizzcase...good news on you getting "things moving" again!!!! And hoorah on the ketone reading. YOu're wayyyyy too young to have the oven set at the wrong temperature. Only us "oldies" do things like that....IF we can remember that we even put something in the oven! ha ha

Major Red...thanks for putting in an order for a lovely hotel bathrobe for me. Mine just ripped down the back (and not where there is a seam!)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Cheryl....I have read and re-read your post, but do not understand......What on earth is "side meat"????
Lordy hun, Andy and Opie was raised up on some side meat.

Salt cured fatty meat taken from the side of the Hog, I reckon.
You can get it all over the place around here but it has no nutritional info.
Comes in big chunks at the country stores and produce markets. You have to slice it up and fry it. It is tougher than bacon and loaded with fat. Lawd it's good.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Cheryl that's funny!!!Its also called fat back.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #558
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Cheryl that's funny!!!Its also called fat back.

Mister Clueless is a connoisseur of fine foods, such as side meat and fat back. He has graciously enlightened me as to the details. Side meat has streaks of lean meat. Its all Good.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi Mizz, the good news on the fat bombs is that a spoon is enough, it is fairly dense and we scoop, put it away, and nibble it lightly...makes it last longer. But no need for a second round. Good number too! You know that headache will pass...unless you come back to Austin for another round...it is quite the drinking town!
Hi Becky! You are doing so good, and the trip is getting closer. I know you will have so much fun! Rum & Diet Coke, I hope it's the type of Diet Coke I like in Mexico, it is wonderful!
Buffy, so glad you are doing better...you may be weak for a while. The cardiac/diabetic diet drives me nuts! I hope your Trigs were good on lab results.
Darin, this white pepper version of the SYM is wonderful....eggs, chicken...I am going to use it on pork chops tomorrow. Glad you mentioned it! Rum is good, so it must not be LC...have to look it up.
Shelley is correct, the yodka is not gluten free....and the potato kind, not sure about that. Good thing we aren't vodka drinkers here! Thanks for the remind Shelley!
Phillip, I do not think the FDA needs more power, quite the opposite, I think they are corrupt enough now. You have missed my soapbox rants I guess! USDA is bought and paid for by the food industry and a very mislead Congress of long ago. That said, science should not always mess with mother nature...GMOs are not yet verified by testing as safe for all of us. I wish we could get rid of modern corn and go back to the original maize....would certainly be healthier for those who eat corn. If you are feeding the world GMO wheat, corns that will increase disease and thus health care needs/expense, where are we really headed?
Hi Cheryl, your avi is the cutest thing! I hope your kiddies are getting well now...getting settled down now that they are back in school. Side meat must be lots of fattttt! But I "google" everything! I like to stir-fry cabbage with any meat or pork. That recipe with ground beef and cabbage sounds really good. Your menu sounds really good! Funny! We callled it fat back where I grew up...I remember it being cooked all day on a weekend.
Darin, I have to agree on cabbage, I grew up with nasty stewed or steamed green stuff. Now I am lazy and buy the bag and just throw it in the pan. Or make coleslaw and it's great with olive oil and vinegar, splenda, salt, pepper, garlic, and sour cream. The not Rotel is awful, hard to enjoy when you are trying to put out the fire!
Hey Butterball! How's it going with you?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Phillip, I do not think the FDA needs more power, quite the opposite, I think they are corrupt enough now. You have missed my soapbox rants I guess! USDA is bought and paid for by the food industry and a very mislead Congress of long ago. That said, science should not always mess with mother nature...GMOs are not yet verified by testing as safe for all of us. I wish we could get rid of modern corn and go back to the original maize....would certainly be healthier for those who eat corn. If you are feeding the world GMO wheat, corns that will increase disease and thus health care needs/expense, where are we really headed?
Yes, the GMOs have been tested to be safe by any reasonable definition of the word safe.

By the way, humans created maize. Native americans "genetically engineered" another grain, teosinte, into what we now call corn/maize.

--
Phillip
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Lordy hun, Andy and Opie was raised up on some side meat.

Salt cured fatty meat taken from the side of the Hog, I reckon.
You can get it all over the place around here but it has no nutritional info.
Comes in big chunks at the country stores and produce markets. You have to slice it up and fry it. It is tougher than bacon and loaded with fat. Lawd it's good.
Well, I guess I have led a very sheltered life. Never heard of it. Never heard of fat back. Don't recall ever seeing anything like that in our grocery stores where I have lived! I'll have to go ask the 2 local grocery stores where it is!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #562
Junior LCF Member

well SG61 , since you ask.Its not going so good.The porkometer showed a 2 lb rise again!
So, after having a hard talk with myself I decided that my portion control has to come into play.
What I have decided and I'll let you know how it goes is to stick to the 80/15/5 but work it from 60gms protein as my starting point. this brings me back to about 1400 kcals which is where I would lose on conventional CR diet.
I dont know what else to do, Ive eaten more ,eaten less ,more protein, less protein ,less fat more fat AAARRGGHH Ive read opinions and testimonials until I'm not right in the head .
I'm thinking that I'll swing between 1300 and 1500 so that it dosnt get too predictable.

I'm glad someone asked the question about 'side meat' as I have never heard of it. We only get belly pork. Which roast in the oven is my all time fav. My Mum used to cook it up for us when we got home from school and Ive always loved it.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #563
Junior LCF Member

I really should be getting some work done but....
somethings been going around in my head .Yes, the cogs do move sometimes.
I am wondering if those of us who find it hard to make low carb work from a weight loss perspective are people who have never eaten alot of food which is in the SAD and SBD . . Do people who have spent years eating SAD get a better response in terms of weight loss and of course health improvements when they convert to low carb/ high fat . Ive heard mention of the 'golden shot' with low carb whereby the first attempt is always the most successful. I never did have much of a resonse and wondered if this was the reason.
Since being a kid Ive always eaten a lot of fatty meat, butter etc and although Ive eaten bread ,I mostly made it myself. I gave up sugar 30 years ago and eat very few cakes and biscuits.
Just wonderin.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #564
Junior LCF Member

sadly Philip, I cannot agree with your opinion on GM crops .Plant material evolved by natural selection brought about by open pollination by insects. Plant breeding stations do the same only by controlled cross pollination of two different strains . This can in no way be compared to manipulating plant material by genetically modifying it .
Have you read about glyphosate and the likely problems with 'roundup ready' crops.
Have you not read about Monsanto??what is your opinion about terminator genes ? my take on this is that growers/farmers will always need to buy new seed.Growers in third world countries have always used saved seed .
This is nothing short of the goal of world domination by controlling the worlds food supply.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
sadly Philip, I cannot agree with your opinion on GM crops .Plant material evolved by natural selection brought about by open pollination by insects. Plant breeding stations do the same only by controlled cross pollination of two different strains . This can in no way be compared to manipulating plant material by genetically modifying it .
Why do you think that? (By the way, maize is normally wind pollinated.)

When you do a cross, at least in this context, you are trying to move a new trait (like maybe resistance to a disease) into your elite cultivar. But generally the cultivar donating the disease resistant allele is going to have wide variety of traits that will result in lower crop yields, etc. So what you really want is one or a handful of genes, but using a cross you get half the genetic material of the both plants.

"GMO" is basically a bunch of technologies that allow you to target individual genes instead of just crashing two genomes together and trying to reassemble your elite cultivar from the wreckage.

My point here is that the technology itself is not good or bad, it is just a technology, a tool. I think it is the ends towards which that technology is used that should be under scrutiny.

--
Phillip

PS I think your other points are only tangentially related to the issue of GMO, so I am going to address them in another post.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you read about glyphosate and the likely problems with 'roundup ready' crops.
Have you not read about Monsanto??what is your opinion about terminator genes ? my take on this is that growers/farmers will always need to buy new seed.Growers in third world countries have always used saved seed .
This is nothing short of the goal of world domination by controlling the worlds food supply.
Okay, I think our outlooks maybe more closely aligned here. But I think I have a slightly different take on what the real problem is.

First, it does seem like these agri-business companies have tin ears. I have some sense of what current technologies are capable of -- that is solving some of mankind's current problems. But what is the first thing that gets tackled? I mean it is the thing that seems like it will make the most money for the companies.

So you have to ask, how is alienating your customers (and their customers) a reasonable option? Why would these companies be so short-sighted as to use these obviously thuggish tactics?

Well, I don't think this has anything to do with science or technology. It is embedded in the design of our economies. Specifically the way we structure investment into larger companies. When it is just the customers and the companies interacting, they are likely to make decisions that benefit both. However, there is this 800 pound gorilla in the room: investors. Law in the US is structured so that officers of a publicly traded company must take the best interests of their investors or they face legal repercussions.

So, on the one side you have your customers and on the other you have your investors. Your investors are mostly wealthy and used to deploying the legal machinery available to them. Your customers mostly are not. Whose best interests get looked after first?

That, it seems to me, how you turn the image of something you would think should be pretty fuzzy among the public (feeding people) into that of a thug. Well, to whom are you most legally obligated? Your customers (who would likely be forcing you to make decisions that would be better long term) or your investors (who, given the structure of our economy live quarter to quarter).

--
Phillip
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #567
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Yes, the GMOs have been tested to be safe by any reasonable definition of the word safe.

By the way, humans created maize. Native americans "genetically engineered" another grain, teosinte, into what we now call corn/maize.

--
Phillip
Phillip, have you read Wheat Belly? I'm curious how you would characterize the advent of wheat protein (beg pardon if I mangle the correct terminology) that can pass the blood-brain barrier thanks to modern crop cultivation techniques.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #568
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, this white pepper version of the SYM is wonderful....eggs, chicken...I am going to use it on pork chops tomorrow. Glad you mentioned it!
Darin, I have to agree on cabbage, I grew up with nasty stewed or steamed green stuff. Now I am lazy and buy the bag and just throw it in the pan. Or make coleslaw and it's great with olive oil and vinegar, splenda, salt, pepper, garlic, and sour cream. The hot Rotel is awful, hard to enjoy when you are trying to put out the fire!
I knew that white pepper one had to be good! I ran by Wal-Mart last night and they only had the mild yellow label kind. Have to check Kroger and Albertsons next time.

It is so strange that we never had fried cabbage when I was growing up. Dad grew up on southern cooking - greens, pinto beans and cornbread, ketchup with eggs (shudder), biscuits and gravy, tomato preserves, and so on.

Agreed on the hot version of Rotel. It is impossible to enjoy a dish when you are frantically waving your hand in front of your mouth in a futile attempt to quell the sensation that your lips and tongue have caught fire.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #569
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
AAARRGGHH Ive read opinions and testimonials until I'm not right in the head .
lol so true!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #570
Junior LCF Member

hello Philip, you are right maize is wind pollinated.In the UK maize is a very small crop mostly grown as a forage crop for cattle. However that is nit picking as whatever the means of pollination the result is the same.AND as you clearly know teosinte evolved (was selected )over thousand of years as can be proved by archaelogical remains.
I could touch on India also and the fact that GM crop growing has been suspended because of crop failure.
Food security is a buzz word now but I belive that the world can produce enough food if politics is kept out of it. Some 30 years or so ago we had a food mountain in Europe .You may recall the 'Butter mountian' the 'Beef mountain' etc People complained about the cost of storage.I thought at the time it was very shortsighted and from these complaints 'quotas' were born.In the US you might recognise it as 'not growing hogs'.
However Philip, taking on board what you have said about the science. I believe once you have let the genie from the bottle you wont contain it again.How it can be deemed safe and by whos standards I fail to understand ?
This year in the Uk (nothing to do with GM ) it was brought home to us the importance of insects. A very early March and very wet from April onwards , fruit crops were not pollinated. There were just no pollinating insects about, consequently the fruit crop was minute. I had twelve apples from 14 trees.
In the end Philip ,greed will win and I am glad I wont be around in say 50 years to see the result of this.The heartfelt sadness I would feel would be too painful.
Sorry to the others I realise this is OT.

Last edited by butterball; 01-22-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Closed Thread