Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #511
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
How to Make Magnesium Oil

there you go, how can you not trust someone who loves, cheese, butter and bacon !!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Thanks butterball!

I'm coming off of my first really good NK day in awhile.. protein is REALLY low today, but I'm trying to do a fat fast day (or 2) to bump myself back into ketosis. This worked really well for me at the end of November and I dropped 8 pounds in 5 days..

I'm currently choking down a cup of tea with coconut oil mixed in.. man I hate coconut oil so much, its taken me 6 months to put a dent in this jar of Nutiva. Yuck. I want to make fat bombs but I haven't come across any recipes that aren't based on the coconut oil. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #513
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Well!!

Falling Skies kicked butt the entire first season. Only a few 'OMG that was lame' moments.

Season 2? It went wobbly right off the bat. It stayed wobbly most of the season with a heck of a lot of OMGL (OMG Lame) moments. I guess there is one guy or gal pulling all the weight on the writing staff and that person took a sabbatical for most of the season and returned in time to pull the nose up on Airliner Falling Skies before it crashed horribly into the side of Stupid Mountain.

It ended with a heck of a cliffhanger for Season 3 too.

Very cool
Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #514
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I want to make fat bombs but I haven't come across any recipes that aren't based on the coconut oil. Anybody have any suggestions?
Those cream cheese clouds are a decent non-CO equivalent I think. And you can flavor them a zillion different ways.

Are you okay with MCT oil? Maybe that'd be a good substitute for CO?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #515
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
mizzcase , I put mine in coffee, I also but in equal amounts of butter and a lesser amount of double cream. I blitz the hell out of it with my stick blender and I cant taste the coconut at all then. I soemtimes put some cocoa powder in the mix too. What you dont want is it floating on the top like an oil slick. Even I dont like that.
I had 212gms of fat today, I'm thinking that might be a tad excessive. I may have a lower day tomorrow or follow your idea and have a fat fast.!!
My protein was 69 gms. carbs 37 gms. I also started the day with a tabsp of cod liver oil ,I float that on cold milk and gulp it down. Now, that does nearly make me gag.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Well!!

Falling Skies kicked butt the entire first season. Only a few 'OMG that was lame' moments.

Season 2? It went wobbly right off the bat. It stayed wobbly most of the season with a heck of a lot of OMGL (OMG Lame) moments. I guess there is one guy or gal pulling all the weight on the writing staff and that person took a sabbatical for most of the season and returned in time to pull the nose up on Airliner Falling Skies before it crashed horribly into the side of Stupid Mountain.

It ended with a heck of a cliffhanger for Season 3 too.

Very cool
Glad your enjoying it. Too many shows crash into stupid Mountain.
My DD loved loved loved Supernatural, then the main writer left and the new one ripped the show. DD gets fumed about it.

Quote:
Or beer, if you can bear to waste it on slugs.

I had heard that about beer, thanks. I don't mind giving it to the slugs

Ugh, I'm pretty sure its wheat! Hope to start feeling better tomorrow since I'm getting back to strict NK today.
Even if Wheat isn't your main problem you will feel better cutting it out. I did!

I think my problem is too much protein.

Calories 1957
Fat 152 69%
protein 114 23%
carbs 39 8%
I ate too many peanuts, Those dang nuts, gonna have to quit buying them!

I have been eating too much protein I am pretty sure. I had gotten lax about recording but kept up with my calories. Also had gotten lax about my CO. I bought me some from swansons and it is so good.
I hated the NUtiva, The Nutiva actually molded. And it was a big tub if it. As It started getting to the bottom it would turn black around the top then worse and worse. I put it aside and thought ok I will use it on my skin since it look hooey. When I pulled it out to use the whole thing was molded.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all, Hope you have had a great day!
Just in case my other post doesn't get thru, I think I did a NoNO

Last edited by Clueless; 01-20-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #518
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Just in case my other post doesn't get thru, I think I did a NoNO
Hmmm

Did you recommend that someone watch either or both of the Fantastic Four movies?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hmmm

Did you recommend that someone watch either or both of the Fantastic Four movies?
LOL
I would never do that!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #520
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
LOL
I would never do that!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Kind of, but I've been dealing with chronic constipation for the past 2 years, and from what I read online, anything related to wheat/gluten intolerance causes the opposite reaction in the body, so I dunno.

It was weird, and probably TMI so read at your own risk:
Up until 2 years ago, I had ALWAYS been regular. I never once in my life had constipation OR diarrhea issues, except for the one time I got food poisoning from a Wawa breakfast sandwich. Then one day to years ago, I didn't go to the bathroom. And the same thing happened for the next 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN days). I went to my GP and she said something along the lines of "Oh, well just take Miralax everyday and it will straighten itself out." Well, it still hasn't. I really need to get to a GI doc I think. I had my thyroid tested and its not due to hypo or anything.

Its so frustrating, I ended up restricting calories to 500/day not because I had an eating disorder, but because I was literally AFRAID to eat because I didn't want to be constipated. I looked so sick during those months last year. When I started back at school, I NEEDED food to concentrate, so I started on a probiotic/magnesium citrate/Miralax daily regimen to keep myself regular. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

I've messed around with my diet so much to see if that has something to do with it. High carb-low carb-high fat-low fat-high fiber-low fiber-no dairy-no meat-no wheat-etc.. can't pinpoint anything as far as food groups on the whole, but I do know spinach and cottage cheese don't work with my belly.Again, frustrating, and people's issues are so individual with this stuff, I've never encountered anyone with remotely the same symptoms as me..

How bout vodka? That doesn't bother me at all... Don't think theres gluten in potatoes, is there?

On another note, reading Wheat Belly right now. MIND BLOWN.

I asked her if she liked vodka, she said no, me thinks if she wants one of those cute drinks, she will like vodka in some fashion! I made her sweet potatoes with walnut oil and cinnamon...she loves it. Potatoes are on her okay list, but she doesn't eat them, she's LC.

I haven't gone through what you did for 18 days, oh my, bless your heart. But I did do that, up to 7-8 days often prior to going wheat free. And I was too low fat as well. When I ditched all wheat, rice, grains in general, and increased fat, it all was normal again. It is painful, I can't imagine 18 days! Wheat Belly is a good book. I have been very annoyed with the USDA and FDA for failing to regulate GMOs....they are looking the other way.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can't remember where I got it from but the store only had 2 kinds - the red one that is hot and the yellow one that is mild. At Amazon they have a white one that is made with white pepper (I bet that is good) and a liquid version.

I got both because sometimes they really do mean 'hot' when the label says hot heh. My heat level is somewhere in the neighborhood of medium on the picante sauce scale. Maybe a little hotter.

Kroger, Albertsons or Wal-Mart are the likely suspects. I googled Slap Ya Mama and they have a store locator but it isn't very accurate because I never shop at Target, can't stand that dang store or their stupid red everywhere advertising, and I don't shop at any of the other stores listed.

That hot one really is hot but you can manage the heat a bit by using less seasoning. I found that out day before yesterday when I used too much seasoning lol whoa that was hot.

I think I am going to use a mix of the yellow and the red to get the flavor and the heat.

You can use it on anything but so far I have only used it on chicken and then fried eggs in the left over oil.

Kroger has it, and the sauces too. I got the white pepper, red pepper, and salt one. Oh this stuff is good. It's made in a very small Cajun town in south Louisiana.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks butterball!

I'm coming off of my first really good NK day in awhile.. protein is REALLY low today, but I'm trying to do a fat fast day (or 2) to bump myself back into ketosis. This worked really well for me at the end of November and I dropped 8 pounds in 5 days..

I'm currently choking down a cup of tea with coconut oil mixed in.. man I hate coconut oil so much, its taken me 6 months to put a dent in this jar of Nutiva. Yuck. I want to make fat bombs but I haven't come across any recipes that aren't based on the coconut oil. Anybody have any suggestions?
Mizz, you will need to balance a diet high with acid foods with alkaline foods. The best resource I know is straight on is Vivian Goldschmidt, she's a BioChemist, and has a great website with easy info, recipes, down to earth information. I do not take all her advice, but she is science based.

Fat Bombs, I use mixing coconut butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, coconut cream (anything but coconut oil)....DH's favoriate is cream cheese, vanilla, sweetner, coconut cream (coconut milk works too), some flavored sweetners are great, I added dark chocolate cocoa too. I mix it all up in a small container, then we get a spoon of it now and then. I think the recipe thread is still up and going, there are several recipes there

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 01-20-2013 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #524
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Kroger has it, and the sauces too. I got the white pepper, red pepper, and salt one. Oh this stuff is good. It's made in a very small Cajun town in south Louisiana.
I bet I got it at Kroger then. Good stuff! I used some on some shrimp I fried up tonight

I bet that white pepper one is super good. I love pepper heh. I know they didn't have that or I'd have gotten that one if I didn't get anything else. I'll have to look and see if they are carrying it next time I go to a Kroger which may be a while.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mizz, you will need to balance a diet high with acid foods with alkaline foods. The best resource I know is straight on is Vivian Goldschmidt, she's a BioChemist, and has a great website with easy info, recipes, down to earth information. I do not take all her advice, but she is science based.

Fat Bombs, I use mixing coconut butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, coconut cream (anything but coconut oil)....DH's favoriate is cream cheese, vanilla, sweetner, coconut cream (coconut milk works too), some flavored sweetners are great, I added dark chocolate cocoa too. I mix it all up in a small container, then we get a spoon of it now and then. I think the recipe thread is still up and going, there are several recipes there
Southerngirl, thanks for the advice! I will be looking her up. I've found I can eat small salads as long as they're drenched in olive oil. Those fat bombs you make sound good too, I'm afraid once I actually end up making them, they will be TOO good and I'll end up eating the entire batch.

I will be checking Vivian Goldscmmidt out, thank you!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone! Weight is down from 133 yesterday to 129.8 this morning.. good riddance, water weight.

I woke up with a pounding headache and some FOUL, nasty breath. Am I really back into ketosis after 1 day of fat fasting? I haven't been able to check my ketones because the free monitor that was sent to me doesn't work! Ugh.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all! Well been on ,meat and eggs for a week with high fat,lost from 164 to 156.4. I'm back to not being hungry ya!!!i think I'll make my 155 by Sunday we leave then for Ga for 4 days then off for week to Puerto Rioc..I'm so ready......Hope all of you are doing good..
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #528
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Checking in. Today is the first day in a long time that I didn't wake up to very high BP so hope that means that my new meds are starting to work as they hope.

This is short, I am still weak and so using my Ipad.

I haven't gone back to catch up on all the posts so will just send out a wish that everyone is going well on their plan.

Had to laugh at the cardiac/diabetic diet the hospital served me. LF of course for the cardiac part but bread with every meal, mashed potatoes and canned gravy. Fruit with every meal. Sherbert for dessert and one day they came in with an afternoon snack of a Rice Krispie bar!!! Just went with it, I only had 4 meals I think while I was at this hospital and was back on LC the instant I got home. Weight is the same but out of ketosis still.

my heart checks out ok except for the thickening of the walls of the heart. No explanation of why my BP went haywire but at this point, they are just working on changing meds to get it back in line. Can't drive yet and limited activity which isn't hard b/c I am very weak.

Besides the good test results, the most exciting thing is that I asked for a copy of my labs and my cholesterol which was 232 in Oct. has come down to 177 so I don't need the lipitor which was prescribed back in Oct. but which I never took. All my levels looked great except LDL which was just 15 points to high. Cardiologist said to keep doing my LC plan That was just the news I needed to hear right then, I was so afraid that they were going to try to tell me i had to change my WOE.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #529
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good morning everyone! Weight is down from 133 yesterday to 129.8 this morning.. good riddance, water weight.

I woke up with a pounding headache and some FOUL, nasty breath. Am I really back into ketosis after 1 day of fat fasting? I haven't been able to check my ketones because the free monitor that was sent to me doesn't work! Ugh.
Congrats!!!

Was if a high fat vodka fat fast?

I have got some other LC stuff bumping around in my head this morning but I believe the case is like this - as soon as you burn through your carb calories you begin serious ketone production. Everyone goes in and out of ketosis (ketone production), even high carbers, if they deplete their carb calories and don't eat more carbs or overeat protein (gluconeogenesis). I betcha that high carbers that follow the proscription to not eat after 6pm wake up with hellish morning breath because of that. The nail polish type ketones are excreted through urine and breath (and eyeballs and sweat and so on).
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #530
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Checking in. Today is the first day in a long time that I didn't wake up to very high BP so hope that means that my new meds are starting to work as they hope.

I haven't gone back to catch up on all the posts so will just send out a wish that everyone is going well on their plan.

Had to laugh at the cardiac/diabetic diet the hospital served me. LF of course for the cardiac part but bread with every meal, mashed potatoes and canned gravy. Fruit with every meal. Sherbert for dessert and one day they came in with an afternoon snack of a Rice Krispie bar!!! Just went with it, I only had 4 meals I think while I was at this hospital and was back on LC the instant I got home. Weight is the same but out of ketosis still.

my heart checks out ok except for the thickening of the walls of the heart. No explanation of why my BP went haywire but at this point, they are just working on changing meds to get it back in line. Can't drive yet and limited activity which isn't hard b/c I am very weak.

Besides the good test results, the most exciting thing is that I asked for a copy of my labs and my cholesterol which was 232 in Oct. has come down to 177 so I don't need the lipitor which was prescribed back in Oct. but which I never took. All my levels looked great except LDL which was just 15 points to high. Cardiologist said to keep doing my LC plan That was just the news I needed to hear right then, I was so afraid that they were going to try to tell me i had to change my WOE.
!! Hiya Buffy!

So glad you are feeling and doing better!!

That is terrific news about your numbers!! And I think I'd have blubbered and given the cardiologist an unmanly hug for endorsing LC

Get plenty of rest!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #531
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all! Well been on ,meat and eggs for a week with high fat,lost from 164 to 156.4. I'm back to not being hungry ya!!!i think I'll make my 155 by Sunday we leave then for Ga for 4 days then off for week to Puerto Rioc..I'm so ready......Hope all of you are doing good..
Becky you are so kicking butt! Who are you visiting in Georgia? Have you decided if it is more expensive to drive to all of our locations to drop off our souvenirs or just mail them to us?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Going to visit daughter she and son law going with us....just send address ill mail you lots of pic....
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #533
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Going to visit daughter she and son law going with us....just send address ill mail you lots of pic....
Is rum LC???? Cause that is what I was angling for. And a couple of bath robes from ya'lls resort. heh
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #534
Major LCF Poster!

O rum...I'm going to have rum and diet coke I no it will throw me out ketoeous but I'm not worrying I'm on a life time vacation but I will eat LC .i see about the robe. what size....hehe
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #535
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
O rum...I'm going to have rum and diet coke I no it will throw me out ketoeous but I'm not worrying I'm on a life time vacation but I will eat LC .i see about the robe. what size....hehe
Yep, enjoy yourself for sure!

Hotel Staff: Ma'am, what are you doing with all those robes???
Becky: Well, there's Red and Buffy and Shelley and SG and Cheryl and MizzC and Oceana and...
Hotel Staff: [dialing police]...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #536
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
I asked her if she liked vodka, she said no, me thinks if she wants one of those cute drinks, she will like vodka in some fashion! I made her sweet potatoes with walnut oil and cinnamon...she loves it. Potatoes are on her okay list, but she doesn't eat them, she's LC.

I haven't gone through what you did for 18 days, oh my, bless your heart. But I did do that, up to 7-8 days often prior to going wheat free. And I was too low fat as well. When I ditched all wheat, rice, grains in general, and increased fat, it all was normal again. It is painful, I can't imagine 18 days! Wheat Belly is a good book. I have been very annoyed with the USDA and FDA for failing to regulate GMOs....they are looking the other way.
GMOs are just a set of methods that allow us to do the same thing we have been doing the last 20 thousand years at least -- breeding plants and animals for traits we think are desirable. GMO techniques just allow us to do it faster and with greater precision. The amount of regulation on them is insanely high -- such that it costs additional millions of dollars to bring a new cultivar to market.

It isn't the tools you want to watch out for, it is the outcome of their use.

Has the FDA been doing a great job of regulating drugs? For example statin use? Why would you want to increase the breadth of their power?

USDA? You want to hand the food pyramid guys more power over our lives?

I don't think demonizing GMOs is the right way to go here. I think we are going to need every trick in the book to try to feed us all as we reach our maximum world population.

--
Phillip
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeehaww!! Girl you are doing great!! So happy for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

Thanks for keeping us informed Buffy. I am so glad you woke up doing better today.
Hopefully you can stay outta that high Carb Hospital! Hope MR buffy is taking splendid care of you. You musta worn yourself out making all that toffee.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yep, enjoy yourself for sure!

Hotel Staff: Ma'am, what are you doing with all those robes???
Becky: Well, there's Red and Buffy and Shelley and SG and Cheryl and MizzC and Oceana and...
Hotel Staff: [dialing police]...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

does anyone have any nutritional info on side meat?
I guess its about 99% fat. DH says 100%
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #540
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
does anyone have any nutritional info on side meat?
I guess its about 99% fat. DH says 100%
I do not. But it can't be 100% fat if there is any meat in the cut
Closed Thread