Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Do you have pine straw? put under the plants. Also, put salt around the plants, lots of it...slugs won't live long if they trail through it. You can put out pans of water too, darned things will go in and drown.
Or beer, if you can bear to waste it on slugs.

Quote:
Hi Mizz...sorry you are not feeling well. My DD2 is having horrible issues. Her gastro is down to it's gallbladder or wheat/gluten intolerance. Maybe it's college!!!
Ugh, I'm pretty sure its wheat! Hope to start feeling better tomorrow since I'm getting back to strict NK today.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Now I just need to find some Slap Ya Mama seasoning.
Quote:
Darin, which kind of sauce do you have? Our HEB has three kinds. I don't think I can do the extra hot one, but the milder one is very, very good.
I can't remember where I got it from but the store only had 2 kinds - the red one that is hot and the yellow one that is mild. At Amazon they have a white one that is made with white pepper (I bet that is good) and a liquid version.

I got both because sometimes they really do mean 'hot' when the label says hot heh. My heat level is somewhere in the neighborhood of medium on the picante sauce scale. Maybe a little hotter.

Kroger, Albertsons or Wal-Mart are the likely suspects. I googled Slap Ya Mama and they have a store locator but it isn't very accurate because I never shop at Target, can't stand that dang store or their stupid red everywhere advertising, and I don't shop at any of the other stores listed.

That hot one really is hot but you can manage the heat a bit by using less seasoning. I found that out day before yesterday when I used too much seasoning lol whoa that was hot.

I think I am going to use a mix of the yellow and the red to get the flavor and the heat.

You can use it on anything but so far I have only used it on chicken and then fried eggs in the left over oil.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-20-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #483
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all, have had a hectic/busy past few days at school. Catching up on the thread now! Have had CRAZY digestive issues lately with my more relaxed diet, trying to clear those up, thinking about seeing a gastro, its no fun!
Is it like what you were going through before?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Or beer, if you can bear to waste it on slugs.

Ugh, I'm pretty sure its wheat! Hope to start feeling better tomorrow since I'm getting back to strict NK today.
We are thinking that is hers too...but gluten as well. Beer & whiskey are trouble...we looked up everything "fun"...and it's a glass of wine now. Until we diagnosis what exactly is a head on, what is tolerated. Good to identify the wheat right away. Darn stuff is in so many things now!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #485
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks to the recognition that Celiacs has gained in the last few years there are gluten free beers available.

Red Bridge is not bad.

Hard Ciders are gluten free too but they can be very carb loaded.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Is it like what you were going through before?
Kind of, but I've been dealing with chronic constipation for the past 2 years, and from what I read online, anything related to wheat/gluten intolerance causes the opposite reaction in the body, so I dunno.

It was weird, and probably TMI so read at your own risk:
Up until 2 years ago, I had ALWAYS been regular. I never once in my life had constipation OR diarrhea issues, except for the one time I got food poisoning from a Wawa breakfast sandwich. Then one day to years ago, I didn't go to the bathroom. And the same thing happened for the next 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN days). I went to my GP and she said something along the lines of "Oh, well just take Miralax everyday and it will straighten itself out." Well, it still hasn't. I really need to get to a GI doc I think. I had my thyroid tested and its not due to hypo or anything.

Its so frustrating, I ended up restricting calories to 500/day not because I had an eating disorder, but because I was literally AFRAID to eat because I didn't want to be constipated. I looked so sick during those months last year. When I started back at school, I NEEDED food to concentrate, so I started on a probiotic/magnesium citrate/Miralax daily regimen to keep myself regular. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

I've messed around with my diet so much to see if that has something to do with it. High carb-low carb-high fat-low fat-high fiber-low fiber-no dairy-no meat-no wheat-etc.. can't pinpoint anything as far as food groups on the whole, but I do know spinach and cottage cheese don't work with my belly.Again, frustrating, and people's issues are so individual with this stuff, I've never encountered anyone with remotely the same symptoms as me..

Quote:
We are thinking that is hers too...but gluten as well. Beer & whiskey are trouble...we looked up everything "fun"...and it's a glass of wine now. Until we diagnosis what exactly is a head on, what is tolerated. Good to identify the wheat right away. Darn stuff is in so many things now!
How bout vodka? That doesn't bother me at all... Don't think theres gluten in potatoes, is there?

On another note, reading Wheat Belly right now. MIND BLOWN.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #487
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
*That* is an awesome book!!! I got so many health benefits when I dropped wheat after reading that book. I was wheat-free from about page 50 on.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #488
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Kind of, but I've been dealing with chronic constipation for the past 2 years, and from what I read online, anything related to wheat/gluten intolerance causes the opposite reaction in the body, so I dunno.
IBS type stuff is usually attributed to wheat/gluten intolerance but I doubt it has the lock on this food intolerance.

Quote:
I went to my GP and she said something along the lines of "Oh, well just take Miralax everyday and it will straighten itself out."
She is a fan of those stupid Activia commercials. And she is a good example of the huge lack of nutritional training in the medical profession.

Quote:
Its so frustrating, I ended up restricting calories to 500/day

Quote:
I've messed around with my diet so much to see if that has something to do with it. High carb-low carb-high fat-low fat-high fiber-low fiber-no dairy-no meat-no wheat-etc.. can't pinpoint anything as far as food groups on the whole, but I do know spinach and cottage cheese don't work with my belly.Again, frustrating, and people's issues are so individual with this stuff, I've never encountered anyone with remotely the same symptoms as me..
You should find a doc that is interested in getting to the bottom of the problem. Being regular is the norm and you are far from normal in this area. There was a podcast JM did with a female doc and she said plainly that you should be going two to three times a day.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Wow, interesting stuff! The fact that she is a 50-75 pound overweight practitioner doesn't do much for my adherence to her suggestions anyway. When I told her that I stuck to a lowcarb lifestyle, she basically told me I was at risk for a heart attack by age 25 if I kept up with it.

For the record, I was 22, 5'4, and 120 pounds when she told me this. LOLOLOLOL.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #490
Blabbermouth!!!

Sadly typical of the state of medical thinking. If you ever see her again, have that youtube of the senator saying he didn't have time to wait for facts back in the 70's.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #491
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
Quote:
Wow, interesting stuff! The fact that she is a 50-75 pound overweight practitioner doesn't do much for my adherence to her suggestions anyway. When I told her that I stuck to a lowcarb lifestyle, she basically told me I was at risk for a heart attack by age 25 if I kept up with it.

For the record, I was 22, 5'4, and 120 pounds when she told me this. LOLOLOLOL.
You might try magnesium maleate - I take 800 mg before bed and it's kept me very regular - worked for my sister too - back off if you get "too regular". Other forms of magnesium might work too, but this has worked the best for me. Some people just have the tendency to get constipated.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Buffy, do you mind rehashing your recipe for chicken soup? Does it involve a whole chicken? They're on sale at Publix this week and I'd like to pick up a few so I can make it :-)

Tried searching this thread but no luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
You might try magnesium maleate - I take 800 mg before bed and it's kept me very regular - worked for my sister too - back off if you get "too regular". Other forms of magnesium might work too, but this has worked the best for me. Some people just have the tendency to get constipated.
Thank you for the suggestion! Do you find it bloats your stomach? I backed off taking the magnesium (oxide, then tried citrate, same problem) because it caused my stomach to BLOW UP. It was so bad I ended up in the ER earlier this month because I thought I had a blockage.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
How bout vodka? That doesn't bother me at all... Don't think theres gluten in potatoes, is there?

Vodka, unless specifically stated that it's made from potatoes DOES have gluten...learned that years ago so passing along the info. You'll have to get some IDAHO (where I live) potato vodka! (true)

I had the same issues that you did when I was about your age. For me it was gluten, not wheat, but all glutens. Now I'm grain free and have not had any issues since. Grains are in most alcohols, and the #1 ingredient in licorice! (that was my shock.....red licorice being made of wheat!!!) Of course that was years before I did LC eating and cut out sugars.

Hope you find the answer....I'm betting that you will!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Buffy, do you mind rehashing your recipe for chicken soup? Does it involve a whole chicken? They're on sale at Publix this week and I'd like to pick up a few so I can make it :-)

Tried searching this thread but no luck.
Buffy is quite ill and hasn't updated us in a couple days, but here is her recipe that I cut and pasted to myself in an email. Hope it comes through okay.

I have an 8 qt. stockpot. Into this I place a whole chicken or chicken parts, you can use what every pieces you like. I fill up with water, add quite a bit of salt and pepper and 1/2 lb butter. Put it on the stove, bring to a boil and then turn down to a very slow simmer and let it go, I often cook it all day. Don't let it just boil or the water will boil away, you want to keep all that nice broth. When the meat is falling off the bone, pull out all the chicken and meat, set aside and strain the broth. When the meat is cooled slightly you can pick all the meat off the bones, and then I usually pack that into small bags of about 4 oz each to use some right away and freeze the rest. I freeze some of the broth in 3-4 cup containers. When I make mine tomorrow, I am going to add an onion and some celery to it, Judy mentioned doing that and that is a great idea. Even more flavor.

This meat is and should be nice and moist but when you rewarm chicken meat, do it slowly and if it is dry, add some butter to that. Butter is our friend . I either warm it in the microwave on low power, or saute in a pan with a little melted butter.
You can drink the broth, or make soups etc. from it. If you want say a cream of chicken soup, add some cream to the broth, some pieces of chicken and then I melt about 2 T of butter, whisk in a small amount of xantan gum and then whisk into soup to slightly thicken it. Salt and pepper to taste.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #496
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion! Do you find it bloats your stomach? I backed off taking the magnesium (oxide, then tried citrate, same problem) because it caused my stomach to BLOW UP. It was so bad I ended up in the ER earlier this month because I thought I had a blockage.
You might try ramping up your dosage gradually. I have the cheapie kind that is 3 tables for a 400mg dose. I take 6 tablets a day but I usually space them out two at a time. You could take 1 tablet a day for a week then 2 tabs a day for a week and so on.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #497
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy is quite ill and hasn't updated us in a couple days, but here is her recipe that I cut and pasted to myself in an email. Hope it comes through okay.

I have an 8 qt. stockpot. Into this I place a whole chicken or chicken parts, you can use what every pieces you like. I fill up with water, add quite a bit of salt and pepper and 1/2 lb butter. Put it on the stove, bring to a boil and then turn down to a very slow simmer and let it go, I often cook it all day. Don't let it just boil or the water will boil away, you want to keep all that nice broth. When the meat is falling off the bone, pull out all the chicken and meat, set aside and strain the broth. When the meat is cooled slightly you can pick all the meat off the bones, and then I usually pack that into small bags of about 4 oz each to use some right away and freeze the rest. I freeze some of the broth in 3-4 cup containers. When I make mine tomorrow, I am going to add an onion and some celery to it, Judy mentioned doing that and that is a great idea. Even more flavor.

This meat is and should be nice and moist but when you rewarm chicken meat, do it slowly and if it is dry, add some butter to that. Butter is our friend . I either warm it in the microwave on low power, or saute in a pan with a little melted butter.
You can drink the broth, or make soups etc. from it. If you want say a cream of chicken soup, add some cream to the broth, some pieces of chicken and then I melt about 2 T of butter, whisk in a small amount of xantan gum and then whisk into soup to slightly thicken it. Salt and pepper to taste.
I haven't tried the recipe yet but we should include it on the first page of posts every thread
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much Shelley!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #499
Senior LCF Member

How much of the pot do you fill with water? Just enough to cover the chicken?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You might try ramping up your dosage gradually. I have the cheapie kind that is 3 tables for a 400mg dose. I take 6 tablets a day but I usually space them out two at a time. You could take 1 tablet a day for a week then 2 tabs a day for a week and so on.
Thanks red, I will try that for sure. I know Natural Calm, the magnesium citrate you mix into water, never bloated me. BUT, it worked a little too well, if ya know what I mean.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #501
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks red, I will try that for sure. I know Natural Calm, the magnesium citrate you mix into water, never bloated me. BUT, it worked a little too well, if ya know what I mean.
I sure do, same here when I started off at full dose

It only took me a week of starting low and increasing. Then another week or so to go up to 2x the dose.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
How much of the pot do you fill with water? Just enough to cover the chicken?
It's my understanding that you fill to cover the chicken. I did mine in a large oval Crock Pot. The chicken (6.5#) fit in just fine so I just filled until it was submerged. I put in a few pieces of celery, onion, and lots of salt and a bit of "poultry seasoning". I just had the crock pot on high for about an hour or two and then switched it to low...total time for me was 9 hours and it was "fall off the bone" easy to take out. Strained the liquid in a sieve into a big bowl and then put that into containers. It was a snap! YUM!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #503
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
It's my understanding that you fill to cover the chicken. I did mine in a large oval Crock Pot. The chicken (6.5#) fit in just fine so I just filled until it was submerged. I put in a few pieces of celery, onion, and lots of salt and a bit of "poultry seasoning". I just had the crock pot on high for about an hour or two and then switched it to low...total time for me was 9 hours and it was "fall off the bone" easy to take out. Strained the liquid in a sieve into a big bowl and then put that into containers. It was a snap! YUM!!!!!
That is a great idea to use the crock pot Shelley!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is a great idea to use the crock pot Shelley!
Why thank you Major Red!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

And I haven't gotten all the way through it, but for those that have read Wheat Belly:

What do you think about the author's claims regarding the acidity of meat and balancing it out with vegetables? I get the feeling that he would promote a veggie heavy diet (without gluten) over a meat heavy diet. He says plants are mostly alkaline and balance out acid in the diet.

Anyway, as much as I love veggies, I can't eat them too often or I get a digestive flareup. I like my diet being mostly meats. :-) Now I'm freaking out about acidity and osteoperosis.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #506
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi Mizzcase , if oral magnesium dosnt suit you, you might look up magnesium oil which is used topically. You can make it very easily yourself from magnesium chloride flakes. I then put it in a hand sprayer and rub several squirts on my belly and rub it in I do this morning and night. It can cause some irritation ive read so I tried a small bit of me first. Ive had no problems. I have also read that you can spray it under arm as a deodorant substitute if you're trying to avoid commercial brands.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #507
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Why thank you Major Red!!!!
heh frankly the whole stock pot thing is a little beyond my normal range of culinary skills but the crock pot is right up my ally
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #508
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
And I haven't gotten all the way through it, but for those that have read Wheat Belly:

What do you think about the author's claims regarding the acidity of meat and balancing it out with vegetables? I get the feeling that he would promote a veggie heavy diet (without gluten) over a meat heavy diet. He says plants are mostly alkaline and balance out acid in the diet.

Anyway, as much as I love veggies, I can't eat them too often or I get a digestive flareup. I like my diet being mostly meats. :-) Now I'm freaking out about acidity and osteoperosis.
Dr. Davis is not strictly an LC person so I just yes'd him on stuff like that.

You eat meat but you control your protein so no worries is what I think.

I passed my copy of the book along to another person and I told him to pass it on to someone else when he got done. Sort of a string of mini-nukes running through the mainstream strafing the dogma of the high carb zombies. Also, I just skimmed the menu stuff at the back of the book. I still haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #509
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Hi Mizzcase , if oral magnesium dosnt suit you, you might look up magnesium oil which is used topically. You can make it very easily yourself from magnesium chloride flakes. I then put it in a hand sprayer and rub several squirts on my belly and rub it in I do this morning and night. It can cause some irritation ive read so I tried a small bit of me first. Ive had no problems. I have also read that you can spray it under arm as a deodorant substitute if you're trying to avoid commercial brands.
That is interesting. I've never heard of topically applied magnesium
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Interesting, I'll have to look into that as well. Thank you!

Quote:
Dr. Davis is not strictly an LC person so I just yes'd him on stuff like that.

You eat meat but you control your protein so no worries is what I think.

I passed my copy of the book along to another person and I told him to pass it on to someone else when he got done. Sort of a string of mini-nukes running through the mainstream strafing the dogma of the high carb zombies. Also, I just skimmed the menu stuff at the back of the book. I still haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Good to hear, because the AGE talk alarms me too. Do I REALLY have to give up bacon?
Closed Thread