Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I'm trying to hang in there with Jericho. The first few episodes were really good. Great mysteries running through the sub-plots.

But getting through Crossroads is proving to be a real chore.

I'm not convinced that 3 petite ladies who haven't shown themselves to be serious drinkers could get through a big bottle of scotch. Even with the help of the guy that is in there.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #452
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yeah. That could have been a show on the Hallmark Channel.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #453
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I browbeat somebody who came in here and was advocating calorie restriction so I felt a little funny that I'm following the " 2500 calorie restriction" level myself. However, the person I griped about was talking about the low 1000's as a good level for fat loss.
This thread is calorie restricted and the level you are describing from that book is either a little higher or in line with what Dr. Phinney himself said.

Generically speaking, what I've read is that most people burn 3000+ a day. So 2500 or 2000 is a 500 to 1000 calorie deficit.

Unless the goal is to gain weight there are no programs that I am aware of that are not calorie restricted in some form. The typical starvation level that gets promoted so often is just unwise in my opinion. Especially as a start point. That boggles my mind considering what I've learned since staring NK.

If you think about it, even the 'eat only when hungry' is a calorie restriction because it takes you off of the 3 square meal a day routine.

You see a lot of people reminding other people that it is 'eat all you want' not 'eat all you can'.

Quote:
I feel smug too but honestly, I'm struggling a bit to get that high in calories.
Are they adamant about eating to that level? Like - Period end of question? Is it a calculated amount? Do they account for activity level as in less for more sedentary people?

Quote:
I'm scooping out 1/4 cup solid into a container and dividing it in half for lunch and breakfast. 2 more measured tbsp before dinner.
Its too cold here even at room temperature to measure it liquid. Inside our place its 20 degree C (is that around 68F?) so the CO is always solid. Feels like -16 C outside today (3F?)
I found that melted CO and solid CO measured with a TBS can be half again as much CO between the two forms. If you have a scale it is best to measure it for consistent usage.

Quote:
you're welcome, I feel good if I can contribute something worthwhile to the thread instead of just taking.
Except for the very occasional bad faith post that has been made all posts are worthwhile. But that one was for sure packed with good info

Especially the warning post about viewing Justin Bieber's rapping youtube travesty.

Quote:
Whew! It took me a while but i figured out the multiquote thing...Thanks Darin for that post. I'm going to save that because no doubt I will forget it.
You are welcome. I bet a lot of lurkers were happy to find out how that is done too

Quote:
So here's how to find the info I was reading re: Vitamin A recommendations: Google "cod-liver-oil-basics-and-recommendations" and it should be the first hit.

at the bottom of that document, it says that for people dealing with disease conditions, up to 90,000IU per day for several weeks is ok- as long as your are getting enough natural Vitamin D3 to work along with it.
Perfect! Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #454
Blabbermouth!!!

Has anyone else tried the Slap Ya Mama seasoning?

Imma tell you what. The hot version is freakin hot but awesome!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah. That could have been a show on the Hallmark Channel.
Well, some episodes were better than others. The show never caught on. It is only 1 season and a few episodes for the 2nd season.
I think I know the episode your talking about. I think it was the worst episode and the only one I saw on TV. I almost didn't watch it.

Last edited by Clueless; 01-18-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
103!!!!! Wow...I've never known of anyone that lived beyond their 90's in my lifetime (other than on TV and in the news). That's darned impressive! What did Grandpa eat???
Grandpa ate what Grandma cooked! Period. Two fried eggs, 2 bacon, 2 toast, coffee for breakfast. He worked in the Oil Industry, he was "Doc", he fixed all the machines and worked diasters (fires)...so they lived on Plant Property. He came home for lunch daily. It was meat/chicken/pork, veggies from the garden, whatever was in season, rice/potatoes/gravy a few times a week, and a little something sweet afterwards. Tea, always our tea. He came home and had a dark beer of some type, one never two from memory, he had a theory on that...then supper was smaller than lunch, it was left overs from lunch, but always lighter. On weekends they had what they called a "snack supper"...soup, crackers, cheese. My Grandma lived to 96. They both worked hard, she was stay-at-home, but did the garden, canned, cooked, washed with old-fashioned washer with that hand-wringer thing on it...and hang them out in the sunshine to dry. She only used the dryer when it rained or was cold. All my aunts were well into their 90s, most uncles too.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
SouthernGirl61: This works for me with the cod liver oil taste and burps:

1. Take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning (if I take it after I've eaten, it makes me feel burpy).
2. Salty pickles! I take a swig of salty pickle juice immediately after the CLO. Then I take a breath and eat a pickle. It is the only I've found that really gets rid of the taste completely - and the pickles are fermented, so another health benefit.

If I do these two things, I neither burp nor taste it.

I accidentally bought a very expensive bottle of high quality cod liver oil that wasn't fermented. It is clear and has an orange flavor. It doesn't make me burp at all, and the taste doesn't even make me quiver. It seems to be working to help my mood just as good as the fermented CLO, so I decided to use the bottle up.

My only concern about your meal plan is the amount of Vitamin A. You should choose either liver or cod liver oil for the day. (I haven't looked at all the posts here... maybe you are carefully measuring your Vitamin A everyday. If so, then disregard this comment)

Just curious, What is the the synergy between CO and CLO(cod liver oil)? I've never heard that before..... am interested to know what the book says....
Must have me confused, I don't take Vit A daily, except in Multi. I don't use CO much either....
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #458
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Well My weight is creeping up a tad seems. I am at 160 for a couple days in a row.
I tried adding a bit of fruit over the weekend thinking I would still keep my carbs below 50. Seems that cause me to eat more. I had a kiwi on saturday and a few strawberries Sunday.
I have been exercising too and I always gain weight when I exercise. But I was up to 162.5 Monday. That is higher than I got over Christmas and Thanksgiving, while eating a few things that had more carbs (still not over 50 a day I think) and drinking wine.
So I am trying to go back to only induction foods. I had lost my appetite before but it has been back this week. I think fruit is gonna be a nono for me.

I finally ordered the new atkins book so I can't wait for it to get here. I checked out Atkins for life from the library but it is not very good or helpful. I think it was written in 2003 so I guess it is one of those not really written by Atkins.
Fruit can do that to me too! Strawberries in season are easy to overdo! The only way I can do fruit is to eat it as dessert...doesn't spike a glucose reaction for me like that.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree. I wouldn't want to anything that couls change me like that. That is scary. Did the person you know return to normal after stopping the drug? I wonder how long the depression lasted after stopping Chantix? It can take a long time to get some drugs outta your system and in some cases (like the statins my Mom were on) The damage can be very severe and sometimes permanant.
Yes, she got back to her usual self, but was smoking again. I told her I wanted her alive and safe, so I didn't grief her anymore about her smoking. Seems that her depression lifted after a few weeks...been a couple years. It should be out of the blood stream relatively quickly. My MIL nearly lost her ability to walk taking statins for two weeks!! Took over a month for her to be able to walk around the block again after stopping those. She takes niacin now and is normal.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hi All,

As you may know, I have been gone all week because I moved on Monday. That was exciting. The number on my scale today is not.

Thought I had this so under control. Well, turns out I don't. We moved into a new house on Monday and I've been eating carb convenience foods every single day, sometimes more than once a day. My stats are embarrassing considering what they were at the beginning of the week.

I know ALL of this weight gained is not fat, but no matter. And I know myself; I can and will get disciplined and lose it again fairly quickly. Still, can't believe I let myself fail like this for an entire week.

Thanks for listening to me vent. Glad there are people I can reach out to who understand.
Deborah, this sounds like stress not failure. Moving is stressful! Be nice to yourself! We you!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #461
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, some episodes were better than others. The show never caught on. It is only 1 season and a few episodes for the 2nd season.
I think I know the episode your talking about. I think it was the worst episode and the only one I saw on TV. I almost didn't watch it.
I had to give up. I made it two more episodes, to Vox Populi, before taking it to the wood shed out back.

I wanted to like it but there was too much interpersonal drama that just didn't ring true. And being a fan of post apocalyptia there were too many PA inconsistencies for me.

[Edit to add: I forgot to mention the cast. This was a failure of the writers/producers/directors because they had a heck of a cast. Except maybe for the old love interest girl whatshername. She was just annoying.]

I did find Falling Skies yesterday and I watched a few of the first episodes. It looks pretty good so far

Last edited by reddarin; 01-19-2013 at 07:23 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #462
Blabbermouth!!!

I don' think I linked to Phillips very interesting post on how evil cholesterol is calculated:

How LDLC is calcuated.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, I bought the New Atkins for a new you, Westman, Phinney and Volek.
Let us know what you think!

Have you read the Low Carb Living book?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Hey Guys,

I'll still be mostly m.i.a. for a bit because of trying to get the new house put together.

After my week of reckless carbage, I'm happy to say that the scale is down nearly 5 pounds today after just one day of returning to clean eating. So most of what I gained must have been water and maybe just a pound or two of real fat.

Keep up the fight everyone!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #465
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'll still be mostly m.i.a. for a bit because of trying to get the new house put together.

After my week of reckless carbage, I'm happy to say that the scale is down nearly 5 pounds today after just one day of returning to clean eating. So most of what I gained must have been water and maybe just a pound or two of real fat.

Ummm. You need to set your priorities better Deborah. The house will always be there. The thread is exiting and dynamic. You have a built in labor supply for getting the house in order. When they are your kids no one calls it 'child labor' or 'sweat shop'.

Who else remembers the onerous, nay odious, chore of being the TV channel changer no matter what you were doing or where you were in the house once mom and dad were in a relaxed posture?

That is very interesting about the quick loss of water weight. It implies that a well tuned keto-adapted person can regain the benefits of general LC much quicker than someone who was not following NK.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

I mentioned that Slap Ya Mama seasoning blend in a previous post.

Well, I fried some chicken seasoned with it, in CO of course, yesterday. Then last night I was a bit hungry so I fried up a few eggs in that left over chicken CO grease.

Hooooolllleeeee smokes! That was super good!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Let us know what you think!

Have you read the Low Carb Living book?
The book is ok. The menu ideas are super boring and they say calories for women should be 1500 to 1800 and men 1800 to 2200. They say only count calories if you are not losing. Also they say my protein range would be 68 to 138.
I guess I hoped to find something that I didn't already know or some motivation. I read the whole thing last night and all i could say is if I followed their menu ideas I would go back to.... low fat (just kidding) There is also alot about net carbs and the carb ladder and going up in carbs, which I wasn't really interested in either.

I think I just got the wrong book, right? The art and science of Low Carb living is more about NK I bet?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had to give up. I made it two more episodes, to Vox Populi, before taking it to the wood shed out back.

Well My love for Gerald McRaney may have influenced me.
Did You see The A Team?
My kids love Falling Skys. I never watched it.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #469
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Well My love for Gerald McRaney may have influenced me.
Did You see The A Team?
My kids love Falling Skys. I never watched it.
Such an excellent set of actors. Such a total failure or writing and direction

That A-Team movie that came out a while back? I was really impressed with it. Great movie! I went into it not expecting much because TV show to movie doesn't work out very well particularly if it is an old TV show. Proof? The Brady Bunch. Case settled.

So far it is really good! I am on episode 7 now

I don't care much for the 'did that to make you jump sucker' stuff that occasionally happens heh.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Fruit can do that to me too! Strawberries in season are easy to overdo! The only way I can do fruit is to eat it as dessert...doesn't spike a glucose reaction for me like that.
We started up lil strawberry patch last year. I really hope I can eat the strawberries when they come in, If I can keep the slugs out of it.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That A-Team movie that came out a while back? I was really impressed with it. Great movie! I went into it not expecting much because TV show to movie doesn't work out very well particularly if it is an old TV show. Proof? The Brady Bunch. Case settled.
Yeah, We expected it to be awful too. Like you said, most TV shows to Movies are bombs. But I was great.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The book is ok. The menu ideas are super boring and they say calories for women should be 1500 to 1800 and men 1800 to 2200. They say only count calories if you are not losing. Also they say my protein range would be 68 to 138.
I guess I hoped to find something that I didn't already know or some motivation. I read the whole thing last night and all i could say is if I followed their menu ideas I would go back to.... low fat (just kidding) There is also alot about net carbs and the carb ladder and going up in carbs, which I wasn't really interested in either.

I think I just got the wrong book, right? The art and science of Low Carb living is more about NK I bet?
I have heard that from other people that have read it. Clearly it is written for an uninformed LC demographic. That is interesting on the ranges they give.

The calories are fairly aggressive. For women it is about 25/kg_ideal for your goal weight of 130 on the low end and 30/kg on the high end.

The protein range is 1.1g to 2.3g per kg (for you for 130).

Phinney said, after that book was published, that adding carbs back is unwise to paraphrase the doc. I was surprised because it was such a slap at the Atkins Corporation - those worthy champions of such profitable items as the Atkins Bars and the Atkins Drinks.

Yes, the Living book is the book for NK. The Performance book too if you are an exercise enthusiast and interesting in sculpting body fat to the nth degree.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Ummm. You need to set your priorities better Deborah. The house will always be there. The thread is exiting and dynamic. You have a built in labor supply for getting the house in order. When they are your kids no one calls it 'child labor' or 'sweat shop'.

Who else remembers the onerous, nay odious, chore of being the TV channel changer no matter what you were doing or where you were in the house once mom and dad were in a relaxed posture?

Haha, I definitely remember the "tv channel changer" job!

And don't worry, the kids are finding plenty to do (well, okay, I'm finding it for them). Right now we are taking a lunch break though and having nice healthy salmon and a side salad.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I either lost the battle with the cold or won the battle with the Flu.
Been sneezing all day, but no fever.
Feels like a sinus infection but I am sure it is a virus. My wrist started hurting right before I got sick. Seems everytime I get a virus it starts in my right wrist.

On a positive note... I got whole chickens on sale for $0.89 a lb. Got 4 of um in the oven roating for just a little more than the price of 1 rotisserie chicken.
We will be eating chicken this week.
Now I just need to find some Slap Ya Mama seasoning.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Glad it came back off so easy for ya.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy, We are missing you. How are you?
Hope all is well.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all, have had a hectic/busy past few days at school. Catching up on the thread now! Have had CRAZY digestive issues lately with my more relaxed diet, trying to clear those up, thinking about seeing a gastro, its no fun!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #478
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We started up lil strawberry patch last year. I really hope I can eat the strawberries when they come in, If I can keep the slugs out of it.
Do you have pine straw? put under the plants. Also, put salt around the plants, lots of it...slugs won't live long if they trail through it. You can put out pans of water too, darned things will go in and drown.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I mentioned that Slap Ya Mama seasoning blend in a previous post.

Well, I fried some chicken seasoned with it, in CO of course, yesterday. Then last night I was a bit hungry so I fried up a few eggs in that left over chicken CO grease.

Hooooolllleeeee smokes! That was super good!

Darin, which kind of sauce do you have? Our HEB has three kinds. I don't think I can do the extra hot one, but the milder one is very, very good.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all, have had a hectic/busy past few days at school. Catching up on the thread now! Have had CRAZY digestive issues lately with my more relaxed diet, trying to clear those up, thinking about seeing a gastro, its no fun!
Hi Mizz...sorry you are not feeling well. My DD2 is having horrible issues. Her gastro is down to it's gallbladder or wheat/gluten intolerance. Maybe it's college!!!
Closed Thread