Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Red, I agree, I think of all the CO's I have tried, nutiva is my favorite. Very fine quality. Sometimes Costco has a big container at a good price, but not always.
I've got the not-EVCO bottle of Jarrow too. It says 'ideal for cooking'. It actually has a not-coconut flavor but it isn't tasteless either if you eat it straight. For cooking I couldn't detect any flavor.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #392
Blabbermouth!!!

Well.

Today I threw in the towel on quitting smoking.

Yesterday was 90 days. 90 days and no let up on the off the hook cravings that have zapped my NK losses and then some.

Along with a few other things going on at Chez Darin, I decided that skinny and stinky was better than fat and not stinky.

I'll revisit quitting when I get to 170 or below and I'll do it by tapering off instead of cold turkey.

I knew it was the end of this experiment when I was firmly back on track for ... one day before having to chose again between not smoking and going off track yet again or smoking and on track.

Don't hate me.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Understanding, Red. I have tried several times (have only been smoking 3-7/day 3 years after being smoke free for over 15. Of course, the why did I start back in the first place is another question) but the truth is, nothing beats it for stress reduction. Right now, I need it. Current experiment = I switched to a flavor I don't care for so it is not so pleasant.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #394
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Cici

It seems to prove out that study that I'd read about that posits that will power is finite in quantity for a given time frame. That also points to tapering off as the better route to take.

I've been smoking since high school so I have quit a couple of times before like just about everyone that has smoked that long. But I really expected the mental addiction to subside after a few weeks or a month at the most and then get back on track losing whatever I'd gained.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-16-2013 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Thanks Cici

It seems to prove out that study that I'd read about that posits that will power has a finite quantity. That also points to tapering off as the better route to take.

I've been smoking since high school so I have quit a couple of times before like just about everyone that has smoked that long. But I really expected the mental addiction to subside after a few weeks or a month at the most and then get back on track losing whatever I'd gained.
You may have covered this before, but do those smokeless cigarettes (water vapor) do anything for you?

The nicotine itself is fairly innocuous (as long as you are not an insect) it is all the other components of burning leaves that produce the majority of the negative health effects of smoking. As I am sure you are aware...

--
Phillip
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #396
Blabbermouth!!!

That is true and I have used them this past year.

I considered them but they fell far short of the real thing for me so I didn't get one. However, I hadn't been off the real thing when I was using them previously.

I may give them another whack, thanks Phillip. One thing about them is that they vary greatly in quality or how well they recreate the smoking experience.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I considered them but they fell far short of the real thing for me so I didn't get one. However, I hadn't been off the real thing when I was using them previously.

I may give them another whack, thanks Phillip. One thing about them is that they vary greatly in quality or how well they recreate the smoking experience.
Hmm, then if we use operating systems as an analogy, you are looking for the Ubuntu of the smokeless cigarettes. Inexpensive, but doesn't require you to compile the entire OS from scratch. (Actually, I heard that even Gentoo now provides binaries for the faint of heart...)

--
Phillip
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #398
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
OMG, I so hate you RED!!!

JUST JOKING!!! YOU KNOW THAT ISN'T TRUE. Hey, I quit more than once myself, all smokers do. You were trying to slay 2 very big dragons at the same time, change your WOE and stop smoking. I admire you for holding out as long as you did.

One day it will be the right time for you, just like for each of us the WOE that works for us has to be at the right time for us.

Carry on......
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #399
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Hmm, then if we use operating systems as an analogy, you are looking for the Ubuntu of the smokeless cigarettes. Inexpensive, but doesn't require you to compile the entire OS from scratch. (Actually, I heard that even Gentoo now provides binaries for the faint of heart...)

--
Phillip
heh. I heard about that on The Linux Action Show back when Bryan was still co-hosting. I don't want to talk bad about the Show but Bryan and Chris together really made the show work.

I like the desktop that the guy behind PinGuyOS created but he is so slow on pushing out the 12.10 update.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #400
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
OMG, I so hate you RED!!!

JUST JOKING!!! YOU KNOW THAT ISN'T TRUE. Hey, I quit more than once myself, all smokers do. You were trying to slay 2 very big dragons at the same time, change your WOE and stop smoking. I admire you for holding out as long as you did.

One day it will be the right time for you, just like for each of us the WOE that works for us has to be at the right time for us.

Carry on......
heh Thanks Buffy I was too confident of myself by far that is for sure.

It is funny cause I gained weight when I quit last time but I sure didn't lose it when I started smoking again. So this should be a first.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Ooooh. Or, how do you right that with the double oh sound, like moon but oooouh. It is dang near impossible to google something like that because you can't spell the sound you are trying to make.

I haven't seen Jericho yet! I'll have to check it out! No spoilers!!

I liked Jeremiah for the first season. Then it took a left turn and drove over into stupidville in the second season. And that gawd awful theme song for the 2nd season???? And the moronic 'moving forward through the past' drivel they had the guy saying. Ugh.
LOL
I think De la sol spelled it Oooh.

I loved Jericho, it has Gerald McRaney in it

Where are you watchin Justified?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #402
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
LOL
I think De la sol spelled it Oooh.

I loved Jericho, it has Gerald McRaney in it

Where are you watchin Justified?
Wow! I knew that two people in America knew who De La Soul was but I never thought I'd meet the other one

Seriously though, I did like one of their early songs but I cannot remember which one it was. I looked at their discography but still can't remember.

I will only say, about Justified, that there are possibly eye patches and parrots involved.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow! I knew that two people in America knew who De La Soul was but I never thought I'd meet the other one

Seriously though, I did like one of their early songs but I cannot remember which one it was. I looked at their discography but still can't remember.

I will only say, about Justified, that there are possibly eye patches and parrots involved.
I would wager the song was Me Myself and I. That was a goodie.
Oooh, not so good.

Eye patches and Parrots
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #404
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep, I think you are right about that. Me Myself and I.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #405
Blabbermouth!!!

That person was right about The Big Bang Theory being a great show for me but more for the non-stop and frequently esoteric trivia references. Like the 'pre-pack disaster evacuation bag' that is recommended by Homeland Security and Sarah Connor
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Well.

Today I threw in the towel on quitting smoking.

Yesterday was 90 days. 90 days and no let up on the off the hook cravings that have zapped my NK losses and then some.

Along with a few other things going on at Chez Darin, I decided that skinny and stinky was better than fat and not stinky.

I'll revisit quitting when I get to 170 or below and I'll do it by tapering off instead of cold turkey.

I knew it was the end of this experiment when I was firmly back on track for ... one day before having to chose again between not smoking and going off track yet again or smoking and on track.

Don't hate me.
We would never do that Darin. You will be ready someday, and if not, at least your skinny jeans will fit!

Let me add, and this is powerfully politically incorrect these days...but studies have shown that cigars have considerable lower risk, and actually can improve brain activity as the aging process sets in. It's not really big news out in the mainstream media, as it goes against the anti-smoking campaigns...but there is not good clinical data to show moderate cigar smoking will be adverse as cigarettes ...just saying, if it's something you like, it may be a healthier option for you.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 01-16-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That person was right about The Big Bang Theory being a great show for me but more for the non-stop and frequently esoteric trivia references. Like the 'pre-pack disaster evacuation bag' that is recommended by Homeland Security and Sarah Connor
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #408
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
We would never do that Darin. You will be ready someday, and if not, at least your skinny jeans will fit!

Let me add, and this is powerfully politically incorrect these days...but studies have shown that cigars have considerable lower risk, and actually can improve brain activity as the aging process sets in. It's not really big news out in the mainstream media, as it goes against the anti-smoking campaigns...but there is not good clinical data to show moderate cigar smoking will be adverse as cigarettes ...just saying, if it's something you like, it may be a healthier option for you.
Thanks ct

That is interesting and I may give cigars a whirl again. When Miss Right says 'hey, who the hell got you started smoking those #%*@ stinky cigars?!?' I will txt her a link to this thread.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks ct

That is interesting and I may give cigars a whirl again. When Miss Right says 'hey, who the hell got you started smoking those #%*@ stinky cigars?!?' I will txt her a link to this thread.

LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:

Hey Red, have you considered Chantix? It's a drug, I know, and one with wicked side effects but it helped me quit three years ago and boy, I did not think that I would ever be able to quit. Just a thought. Hang in there. So many of us have been through it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #412
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Hey Red, have you considered Chantix? It's a drug, I know, and one with wicked side effects but it helped me quit three years ago and boy, I did not think that I would ever be able to quit. Just a thought. Hang in there. So many of us have been through it.
Hi Bernsy

It is funny you mention it because I was thinking about it yesterday when I threw in the towel.

I didn't google it but don't those drugs deal with the physical addiction and not the mental addiction?

Thanks for the support
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Bernsy

It is funny you mention it because I was thinking about it yesterday when I threw in the towel.

I didn't google it but don't those drugs deal with the physical addiction and not the mental addiction?

Thanks for the support
Pretty thin line between "physical" and "mental". To make a comparison to NK, for many the lower carbs and higher fat lessen the physical hunger that they would normally be suffered. Leaves the "mental" aspects (eg, eating because of boredom, etc.) unchanged.

Also, if you think you had this licked except for the mental "habit" of smoking under certain circumstances, there are methods for training yourself into a different pattern.

Were you following a plan? I have heard good things about "Stop Smoking" from Allen Carr. (I had an Amazon link, but then realized that was forbidden...)

By the way, how much money did you save on cigarettes over the past 90 days?

--
Phillip

Last edited by NKSL55; 01-17-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

my husband had been told about Chantix. that stuff had some pretty awful side effects. Bernsy, Did you have any side effects. I read that some people commit suicide while taking Chantix. My neighbor used it and said she had the most horrible nightmares, but that she didn't want to smoke while on it. Then a while later she started back smoking.
DH decided not to try it.
He had awful nightmares while using the nicotine patches as well. He didn't have bad cravings at first on the patch but later on as he used lower dosages he did. After stopping the patch he was right where red was. Awful craving. He was a different person when he didn't smoke. (grouchy)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #415
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Pretty thin line between "physical" and "mental". To make a comparison to NK, for many the lower carbs and higher fat lessen the physical hunger that they would normally be suffered. Leaves the "mental" aspects (eg, eating because of boredom, etc.) unchanged.

Also, if you think you had this licked except for the mental "habit" of smoking under certain circumstances, there are methods for training yourself into a different pattern.

Were you following a plan? I have heard good things about "Stop Smoking" from Allen Carr. (I had an Amazon link, but then realized that was forbidden...)

By the way, how much money did you save on cigarettes over the past 90 days?

--
Phillip
That is very interesting Phillip. It is indeed a distinction without a difference. An important observation since the resulting perceived failure of mental fortitude is more damaging than the failure in and of itself.

May I ask, were you ever a drinking man? I believe you'd have fit in very well with a particular circle of friends I used to drink with years ago.

I'd characterize the issue as more fuzzy in nature than mere habit. But that makes me question why I was unable or unwilling to clear the fog away to address the real problem. There are a lot of moving parts I think. It reminds me of something but I cannot get the idea to gel in my mind.

No, no plan really. I haven't done cold turkey since 1988 or so. Well, loosely my plan was to agonize through the physical symptoms and be all better thereafter. We might term it the Let Them Eat Cake Plan.

heh a heck of a lot of money.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #416
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
He was a different person when he didn't smoke. (grouchy)
Boy that never stopped the entire 90 days. I was surprised at my own peevishness many times. Especially after the first few weeks.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Boy that never stopped the entire 90 days. I was surprised at my own peevishness many times. Especially after the first few weeks.
I have to admit, while I didn't want my husband to smoke, for health reasons, when he started smoking again I was glad to have him back. I had really missed him.
One thing I read when he was trying to stop was this. Stress has a physiological effect that causes urine to become acidic. When urine becomes acidic the body excretes nicotine. This is what causes stress to become so unmanageble when you no longer smoke.

I did buy the book by Allen Carr. I don't think he read much of it.
He thought the patches and determination would be enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Well i've stopped in to provide a wee update. My medical tests all came back "within normal ranges" except for the celiac test which hasn't come back yet.

SOOOOoo, I'm self-treating as if I have adrenal weakness, thyroid issues and diagnosed ovarian issues which I've had for almost 20 years.

Surprisingly, I'm doing pretty well at this self treatment thing.

I'm going to write down what I take, how much and when I take it as a reminder to myself if I for some reason stop.

Get Up: Take 12.5 mg of Pregnenolone,
- 1000 mg L-Lysine for Exfoliative Cheilitis(chronic peeling lips)
-1 tsp Cod Liver Oil eqivalent in capsules (4)
1 tsp Celtic sea salt with water
- warm water with 2 tbsp of ACV +1/4 tsp baking soda(keeps my blood pressure down

Breakfast: Decaf Coffee with 2 tbsp unflavoured gelatin powder, HWC, sweetener, 2 tbsp of Nutiva Coconut Oil
1 Dessicated Liver tablet
1000 mg Vitamin C capsule
4000 IU Vit D3
5 mg Vit K2
whatever food I'm eating

Lunch: Decaf Coffee with 2 tbsp unflavoured gelatin powder HWC, sweetener, 2 tbsp of Nutiva Coconut Oil
1 tsp Cod Liver Oil eqivalent in capsules (4)
1 Dessicated Liver tablet
1000 mg Vitamin C capsule

Dinner: Spearmint Tea with 2 tbsp of Nutiva Coconut Oil
2 dessicated liver tablets
last food of the day

9-10:30 pm - Either hot water with heaping tbsp Natural Calm Magnesium and a 99 mg Potassium tablet or warm water with 2 tbsp of ACV +1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt and warm water
12.5 mg Pregnenolone- this suppresses nighttime cortisol
12.5 mg Iodoral (1 tablet) I take at night so the Vitamin C doesn't interfere with the Iodine.
1000 mg L-Lysine
I've slept really well(for me for the last several days with this regimen, and have been getting back to NK for 3 days now.

Last night I slept like a stone and my 4:30 pee break was a real chore to wake up enough to walk to the bathroom. I was still mostly asleep I'm sure and I fell back to sleep instantly when I hit the bed. I barely moved all night and almost slept in which is unheard of for me! I've never in my life needed an alarm but today I had to be woken by a family member or I would have kept on sleeping! Unbelievable.

Has anyone read the book "Eat Fat Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon? Great book, I highly recommend it.

I borrowed it from the library because I wanted to see what is said about health benefits of Coconut Oil by Mary Enig since she is a Fats expert. What I didn't expect was the synergy to be had between CO and CLO(cod liver oil). I had no intention believing or agreeing to any benefits to CLO because I don't eat fish/seafood or their other by-products of oils/roe etc. I can't tolerate the taste or smell so I just don't go there. However, the book is a must read for anyone wanting to see the syergistic effects of these oils. Not Fish Oil and CO but specifically CLO and CO. Seem to have amazing benefits.

I put myself on Phase One of the "diet" it's their calorie restricted food plan. I know, but don't yell at me yet for going to the darkside of calorie restriction.
Get this: the calories are restricted to 2500 calories a day! That's right, 2500 calories! They have a more severe restriction but the lowest they recommend for anybody to eat is 2000 calories a day. The 2500 calories is their Quick and Easy weight loss section, they also have the Health Recovery section where more emphasis is put on using the Superfoods like CO and CLO plus others to heal damaged body systems like adrenals, IR etc. I'm using some of amounts of the supplements in the recovery program along with the calorie level of the Phase One of the Weight loss program.

So for the last 3 days, I've made sure that my fats go first namely the CO and CLO. Then I make my food with whatever extra fats I like, I use cultured unsalted butter or lard(non-hydrogenated).

Today is the 3rd day of doing this and I feel much less brain fog, I'm not freezing after eating mostly fat and protein like I have every other time I've done LC and I dropped .5 lbs overnight!

I think the 3 major keys for me are

Sex Hormone control aka Pregnenolone morning and night, along with sea salt

Thyroid hormone support aka Iodoral and supporting supplements

the fats- CO(6 tbsp/day) and CLO(2 tsp/day) combination- I hate the CLO because of the fish burps but I can live with them if they fulfill their promise.

Hopefully, some of this may be useful or interesting to someone who may be in a similar situation.

Last edited by Deb34; 01-17-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi Deb...just curious if you have been tested for thyroid antibodies????
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks ct

I don't care for smoke smell at all, but the smell of a cigar brings back the memories of my wonderful Grandpa! He lived to be 103.
Closed Thread