Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #301
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
But some people do not have the gene or whatever to pick up that particular scent! So they'd walk out of the bathroom thinking there was no need to spray, but when I walk in right after them, I'd know right away they'd been eating asparagus. The more you know......
lol

Some how I do not think that particular bit of knowledge made the cut for those cool commercials.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #302
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!
Didn't have to go to ER, BP came back down out of danger zone. Still too high this morning though. Will see what the day brings.
Dropped more weight and I am pretty sure some of this is due to too low of calories. I am not hungry, don't feel like cooking and have nobody to cook for me. Mr. Buffy was a little huffy when he had to warm some soup up for me yesterday. Not really but he would much rather go pick up some kind of food than actually have to help fix something and on LC it is very hard to go pick up something. May have to pull out my magic bullet and do a shake today. Mr. Buffy's favorite nursing technque is to tell me to go to bed. If one of my DD's was available, he would be yanking them in to take over. Just not his thing.

So, weight now at 181, when I started back on LC in Sept. I never dreamed I would be looking at the 170's again.

Dazygirl, how many carbs are you allowing per day in your plan? You had 2 things that I would never think of having, the bun and the fries. But, I can't remember exactly how your plan is, so don't mean to judge. But, for most of us, those things are too carby.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
buffy...no, those aren't normal...i just struggle with eating 'differently' than whoever it is i am with. if it were an everyday occurrence that i eat out, it would be different. it's just frustrating that one meal a week causes such a problem...

i generally aim to keep total carbs less than 50
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!
Didn't have to go to ER, BP came back down out of danger zone. Still too high this morning though. Will see what the day brings.
Dropped more weight and I am pretty sure some of this is due to too low of calories. I am not hungry, don't feel like cooking and have nobody to cook for me. Mr. Buffy was a little huffy when he had to warm some soup up for me yesterday. Not really but he would much rather go pick up some kind of food than actually have to help fix something and on LC it is very hard to go pick up something.
I'm glad to hear your bp is out of the danger zone, at least for now.

In reference to your food quandry, I knew this week would be crazy due to packing, so I just made a huge pot of taco soup at the beginning of the week and have been mostly eating that and hard boiled eggs. Maybe you could just make a whole bunch of something that is easy to make and will keep a few days. If it's a cold dish, that would probably be even better.

Whatever you do, keep an eye on that bp and your health!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I'm glad to hear your bp is out of the danger zone, at least for now.

In reference to your food quandry, I knew this week would be crazy due to packing, so I just made a huge pot of taco soup at the beginning of the week and have been mostly eating that and hard boiled eggs. Maybe you could just make a whole bunch of something that is easy to make and will keep a few days. If it's a cold dish, that would probably be even better.

Whatever you do, keep an eye on that bp and your health!
Maybe ask DH to bring home some chicken and let it stew all day?
It's hard to get tired of eating that.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #306
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
buffy...no, those aren't normal...i just struggle with eating 'differently' than whoever it is i am with. if it were an everyday occurrence that i eat out, it would be different. it's just frustrating that one meal a week causes such a problem...

i generally aim to keep total carbs less than 50
Oh, that relieves me We have enough members now that I can't keep up with each person's plan. Hopefully you will get to the point where you are more comfortable with just saying you don't care to eat this or that. All I have to mention is that I am diabetic and no one ever evens question what I do or don't eat. I just tell my DD's to tell people that diabetes runs in their family so they are cutting back on carbs.

And, all the recent press about LC being one of the best ways to eat and or lose weight helps us all out.

Oh, another thing that really helps is getting to be an old lady who really doesn't give a da$n what people think
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #307
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Deborah and Judy. I do have a few more hardboiled eggs that I will make into my egg salad today, I seem to be able to live on that and it seems that I always lose weight when I eat a lot of egg salad.

Judy, funny you mention the chicken. I have a beautiful chicken that I stewed on Sunday, had put it in the cold garage in a covered pot Sunday night with plans to take meat off the bones, etc. on Monday. Well, I felt so bad Monday I never got it done and it is still sitting out there. I am a little scared to eat it now, what do you think? Chicken cooked 5 days ago? I might have DH pick up another and put that on, that is one thing that I can always eat, like you said. Yesterday I felt well enough I could have cooked something but when I left to go to ER the other night, my house was a wreck and laundry piled up so felt like I had to get that back in order yesterday. Maybe later today I will feel like fixing something, the taco soup sounds good Deborah. The avocado chocolate pudding makes a fine, rich dessert and make 2 helpings so will probably make another batch of that today. Still can't believe an avocado turns into chocolate pudding
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Oh, that relieves me We have enough members now that I can't keep up with each person's plan. Hopefully you will get to the point where you are more comfortable with just saying you don't care to eat this or that. All I have to mention is that I am diabetic and no one ever evens question what I do or don't eat. I just tell my DD's to tell people that diabetes runs in their family so they are cutting back on carbs.

And, all the recent press about LC being one of the best ways to eat and or lose weight helps us all out.

Oh, another thing that really helps is getting to be an old lady who really doesn't give a da what people think
what's frustrating is i have lc'd for several years and have never lost weight with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #309
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
what's frustrating is i have lc'd for several years and have never lost weight with it.
Dazy, that was my experience when I first did LC for several years in the early part of the 2000's. I would lose the initial 10 lbs and then easily maintain doing LC but not lose any more. Figured I was eating too much as I had a very healthy appetite then, but now I have narrowed it down to one of 2 things, or a combo of both.

I was probably eating way too much protein.

Or, I was in the early stages of diabetes and when your blood sugar is getting high and all the other changes that go along with diabetes, it is almost impossible to lose weight.

I had given up on dieting and my weight had gotten to 242 when I went to an endocrinologist about my thyroid which I was convinced was not being treated correctly by the several doctors who I had been too.
He told me my thyroid came back ok on the level of meds I was on but that I was probably diabetic so we did the GTT and they called me several days later to say I had it. So, started on metformin and the weight started dropping off, lost 20 lbs easily. Then they added victoza which is a shot for diabetes but isn't insulin and about 15 to 20 lbs more came off. That was with eating whatever I pleased which was a lot of carbs. BS's were acceptable eating that way and taking the meds, not tight control but what the doctors accept as ok. Then, I started getting urinary tract infections one after another and my weight starting creeping back up. I "knew" that I would be better off all around lowering my carbs but that took me to a urologist who said one possibility was that I might be spilling sugar into my urine. I told him I had been thinking of eating LC b/c of diabetes and he said it would be a good idea, whether that was the problem or not. So, I started back in Sept. and have only had 1 UTI since then. Then I came onto the boards and noticed the NK thread that Kristn had going and then found Red and the rest is history.

Oh, the point of all that was to wonder if your blood sugars might be running a little high? Maybe not but one thing to look at. Makes it sooo hard to lose weight even if you are not in the diabetes zone.

Last edited by Buffy45; 01-11-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #310
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi LG , I asked hubby if he'd noticed the smell and he hadnt,may be that was why.
Ive had it for dinner again tonight ,just to see!
Barbara
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #311
Blabbermouth!!!

I am on the fence about Justified's theme song. There must be a market for the cw/rap mix because those sorts of bands are gaining traction. It has been a long time coming though, years and years really.

But it kind of has a Deliverance feel to it to me, at least that particular one with the intro scenes to the show.

I like Kicking Up Mud by The Lacs. But they had to put a stripper pole in. Without it the video would be pretty cool with it it is just trashy.

There is that other one with the guys that build the big slip and slide into that pond that is pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Hi LG , I asked hubby if he'd noticed the smell and he hadnt,may be that was why.
Ive had it for dinner again tonight ,just to see!
Barbara
Haha. You've got me curious now! What happened?

Fellow Asparagus Lover,
deborah
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Buffy...sure hope you are feeling better and the doc on Monday will have some ideas for you. Congratulations on the weightloss that continues for you! Woo hoo to that!

I'm obviously one of the ones that is possibly "pre-diabetic" and not on any meds that is not losing, and I've been doing NK since late August. Doc says I'm fine and not in any way pre-diabetic and won't discuss it with me. I tried berberine which is supposed to be just as good as metformin without the side effects....did not like my body so had to stop it.

My ketones have not gotten above .4, with most being .3. I refuse to give up, in fact, I just ordered more strips for testing. Wish they were the same price as the glucose strips though! I have done the "low protein" and the "upper end protein" and have also done lower and higher calories.....when I make the change, the first day I see a drop and then it goes back up...and unfortunately, I'm still up 3# from where I started in August. Very frustrating, but I know I"m not alone. There are a few of us in the same boat and I can't figure it out at all. (oh, I've also gained inches per my Sunday morning weigh/measure). I'm only repeating this since we have lots of new folks and some are not losing like others, so I just wanted them to know that they are not alone.

I keep my total carbs under 20, so it's not the carbs, and tweaking protein/calories has also not worked for me.

I am excited for those of you are are doing so well though!!! Shows it's a good plan!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Judy, funny you mention the chicken. I have a beautiful chicken that I stewed on Sunday, had put it in the cold garage in a covered pot Sunday night with plans to take meat off the bones, etc. on Monday. Well, I felt so bad Monday I never got it done and it is still sitting out there. I am a little scared to eat it now, what do you think? Chicken cooked 5 days ago? I might have DH pick up another and put that on, that is one thing that I can always eat, like you said.
Has the only refrigeration for the chicken been in the cold garage? Or is it in a refrigerator in the garage? If refrigerated we will eat meat over a week old - can't scare us!

Your egg salads make me want to do an egg fast!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #315
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, we are moving slow the last few days!

86 days smoke free today. Still experiencing strong urges to smoke. I'm so baffled by that. Just a day or two ago I didn't think I'd be able to stand up to the compulsion. After almost 3 months, that seems really strange no?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Wow, we are moving slow the last few days!

86 days smoke free today. Still experiencing strong urges to smoke. I'm so baffled by that. Just a day or two ago I didn't think I'd be able to stand up to the compulsion. After almost 3 months, that seems really strange no?
I don't think it's strange, Red. I still have to stand up to compulsions to eat chocolate donuts sometimes, lol!

But in all serious, when you've been doing something so long, your body has memories. But you are stronger! You already knew that though.

BTW, I did resist my chocolate donut compulsion last night!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #317
Blabbermouth!!!

heh

Well, this was practically 3rd person astral projection type compulsion.

I was trying to think where else I'd experienced that and I think years ago when I tried to lose some weight using the high carb stupidity that is the Standard American Diet I felt this sort of craving.

I'm sure there are other pressures that are creating this situation.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #318
Big Yapper!!!!

Red, it has been so many years now since I quit smoking that I can't remember exactly how long the really bad cravings lasted but I do remember thinking that after 5 years I had no desire to smoke again. Don't mean it was strong cravings during all that time but I was amazed it took that long. Just being around friends smoking, or especially if being out with friends at a bar would really make me want one. I wonder if it will be easier for you once the weather turns warm and spring comes where you will be outside more?

Before I got back on LC I had those same urges any time I watched tv, read a book or got on the computer, except it was to eat, eat and eat some more. It was just such a pleasure to do those things and put food in my mouth. I like to play spider solitaire and can remember wanting to play one more game, just so I could enjoy the pleasure of the snacking while doing so. Didn't have anything to do with how full I was. The only thing that took that away was such a lack of appetite that I can't eat. But, I still enjoy it, I have to say. If I am going to eat, I will put it off until I have time to play on the computer or watch tv, then will settle in with my LC food.

Ahhh, habits!!!

You seem like such a nice guy, so just remember that when you are a smoker, all the rest of us think you STINK!!!! Funny, that didn't bother me when I first quit smoking but now, after years of not smoking and walking past a smoker, I truly think oh yuck, they smell bad!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #319
Big Yapper!!!!

Feel a little better this morning and BP in a safe, though high range. If I can keep it this low most of today, I feel like maybe I have turned a corner. Appetite up just a little as well. I have to eat something each time I take the super pain meds so glad to be a little hungry.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Darin, I am not certain I like the music for Justified, but that show is so good I don't care. Went back and started the DVDs again, just for laughs. It is even funnier when you start over and watch it again! Tears rolling from some of it. Congrats on 86 days! I remember my mom said to me once, about 5 years after quitting...."gee that cig smells so wonderful, think I want one." She didn't, but it came back that fast. Are you back on NK? Maybe diving in again, 1000% would help kill the cravings. If you are eating off plan you could be fighting other triggers too.

Buffy, so relieved you are mending. Please keep us posted. How cold was your garage? Mine would have made it a science project in 5 days! Got more Buffy's chicken cooking now...took some to DD2 yesterday. She is in a crisis now with either gallbladder or wheat/gluten intolerance. Day 1 for her no wheat.

Deborah, who knew about the asparagus!!

Dazy, when I first got on LC, no one knew or understood what it was...they thought I was nuts. So, when the food allergies came roaring in, I used that for any time I ate LC, now NK that someone looks at me funny. Don't let them make you feel like you need to comply with what they are eating. Just say, you won't believe, I just found out I am wheat/gluten intolerant....most folks will just let it ride. And I agree with Buffy, frankly my dear, I don't give a "hoot" either!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #321
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Congrats on 86 days! I remember my mom said to me once, about 5 years after quitting...."gee that cig smells so wonderful, think I want one." She didn't, but it came back that fast. Are you back on NK? Maybe diving in again, 1000% would help kill the cravings. If you are eating off plan you could be fighting other triggers too.
Hmmm. Interesting. I went off plan to deal with the cravings and now being off plan may be screwing with me on the cravings. I have been on and off plan for the past 10 weeks or so. Probably more off than on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, I am not certain I like the music for Justified, but that show is so good I don't care. Went back and started the DVDs again, just for laughs. It is even funnier when you start over and watch it again! Tears rolling from some of it.
Really, they are knocking the humor part out of the park every episode! Great stories and really funny stuff without being tongue in cheek or the show mocking itself.

I laughed till I cried over that dang bank robber dynamite vest rofl. And the foot chase at the end lol I can't believe they did that!

That theme song is really growing on me. I still do not like the rap/cw combination. Like 'Dirt Road Anthem'. It sucks. The chorus is okay but the rappy (all disrespect intended) is just stupid. That song reminds me of that parody song that mocks rock anthems. The one with 'this is the fast part this is the slow part'.

I think I like blue grass a little at least. The Dixie Bee Line are pretty cool.

And that Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack??? The whole album is awesome!

p.s. My Way is one of the best songs of the 2000-2010 decade. Chocolate Starfish one of the best albums for the decade. Durst's vocals are really excellent but the fact is Wes Borland is (or was) the genius of Limp Bizkit. The costumes and body paint were just icing on the cake.

Last edited by reddarin; 01-12-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #322
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning everyone! Wow we have a little cold snap going on here in the DFW area!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Good Morning Everyone! Still here...still hanging in

Darrin - You guys are getting a cold snap, here in PA it's supposed to be close to 60 today....but will get colder as the week progresses.

Still hanging out at my pre-new low weight....definitely seems a pattern but it doesn't bother me as much since I connected the dots and can see the pattern.....although I did fit into some size 8 jeans yesterday.....started several months ago in 16's so I'll take that!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #324
Blabbermouth!!!

Below freezing overnight for the next 10 days or so - that is danged cold when you get south of the panhandle.

I'll take clothes sizes over the scale readings any day. People that have been with the thread for a month or two will have heard this before but new people and new lurkers won't know about it...

Lessee, I started in August of 2011. I was wearing 46 jeans of the Dunlap brand (belly dun lapped over my belt). I was about to buy some new jeans and I was going to have to get 48s at least (but 50s or 52s would have been safer ala that commercial with the shooting buttons).

Today I wear 34s, I have 33s and a pair of 32s that I am ready to start wearing sometime soon.

Wow! I haven't worn 34s in at least 20 years. From 48s to 34s.

I went from 3x shirts and about to move up to 4x tents to XL or L depending on the mfg.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Clothing sizes are a much better judge.....at my highest I was wearing a size 28....at my lowest of 172.5 I was wearing an 8....my body seems to have either shifted or shrunk since I'm 14 pounds over that lowest weight right now but wearing the same size.....gotta love LC!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #326
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
And that Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack??? The whole album is awesome!

]
Red, I am not into music like you are but I have to agree on this, I loved that movie and soundtrack!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #327
Big Yapper!!!!

Clothing size is so much better to judge where you want to be. In fact, in thinking about a goal, I am thinking more along a clothing size than a weight number.

After 3 days of 800 mg of advil, 3 times per day, I have to move down to 400 twice a day so it won't hurt my stomach. I gradually made the switch yesterday by just doing 800 twice a day, then going to do 400 twice today. Woke up with the headache back . I will see my Dr. tomorrow and find out how much tylenol or whatever I can take with the advil to help me make it through the 2 weeks until I see the neurosurgeon again. The advil is for the inflamation as much as the pain. BP 153/103 this morning which isn't too bad, it has been going up and down during the day/evening. Whine, whine
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Clothings size is a huge motivator
I tried on one of my daughters bathing suits this am. (a modest one with a skirt)
I needed some motivations and that sure made me smile. It was a little tight but looked ok. It is 2 sizes smaller than the one I wore last year.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #329
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Clothings size is a huge motivator
I tried on one of my daughters bathing suits this am. (a modest one with a skirt)
I needed some motivations and that sure made me smile. It was a little tight but looked ok. It is 2 sizes smaller than the one I wore last year.
That is awesome Cheryl!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
Clothing sizes are a much better judge.....at my highest I was wearing a size 28....at my lowest of 172.5 I was wearing an 8....my body seems to have either shifted or shrunk since I'm 14 pounds over that lowest weight right now but wearing the same size.....gotta love LC!
This really shows how measurements are a better judge than the scale. When I weighed 145 I was a very tight size 8, about to be a 10. Now I am a women's size 0-2, juniors size 3.
Closed Thread