Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #271
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi red, I saw rapid (10lbs )weight loss during Jan last year ,that brought me to 156 lbs , then I lost nothing else. This was the Dukan (low carb,low fat,HIGH protein) after that initial loss things ground to a halt. I returned to 'generic' low carb and gradually upped the fats as I read more. I did about eight weeks from August doing the Leptin Reset .I came off that excercise about 2lbs heavier.That was expected I was eating min 50gms protein as breakfast within half an hour of rising. After coming off this regime I gradually lessened protein but I think I have been overeating (for me) on protein.Maybe this is the problem. So ,although I am a new memeber to this group I was eating this way a longish time.I have not eaten sugar, and cakes for years , I gave up spuds and then after reading 'Wheat Belly' I gave up grains and have not touched them in over a year.
Yesterday I reduced protein to 70 gms which is,I believe the lower end of requirements for my height/frame. When I went to bed I was delighted to smell an oh so strong whiff from my urine !! This morning I read that asparagus can do that and I had that with dinner last night.I am disappointed as I thought it was ketone smell. heyho !! I have not used sticks and do not have a meter. Working on the principal that if carbs are low enough and the other macros are right then Ketosis should follow.
Anyway, I will see what 70 gms perday protein will do for me and report back.
I am going to keep fat at around 150gms.I have consumed as much as 200 gms.
Thanks for your help red.
Barbara

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Hi red, it would be interesting to know how long he expects for this inflamation to remain. Since I have been eating this way quite some while and dont have obvious inflamitory issues, no joint pain and my thinking is so much sharper than it was. Maybe it just takes time and since I still have hot flashes but much less than previously maybe when these pass it might help with the weight loss issue.
Barbara
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Hi Buffy , wo that must have been scary. Sending good wishes to you .
Barbara
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #274
Junior LCF Member

Hi Clueless, I rinse out the liquid stevia bottle after my husband has finished with it !! I dont know how he can use so much. I just take it in coffee and a bit in Kefir smoothies.
Barbara
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Hi SG61. The UK coastline is really variable. My little chuckle wasnt at you.It was because the North Sea is just a grey and cold stretch of water with treacherous shipping lanes and the term 'ocean' suddenly elevated its position to one of romance!
Thats a good point about sticking to a plan for 30 days.Its easy to get paniced and flip all over the place hoping to find the answer. I have a friend who is older than me who is dropping weight nicely.her version of Low carb whic h is really calorie restriction. It shakes your belief in your chosen path even though hunger has no appeal.
Barbara
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #276
Junior LCF Member

Hi Shelley, I wont give up but it has been so long since I saw any progress. I wouldnt know how to eat any other way now.
Barbara
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Cheryl, for real? CO at Swansons??? My favorite vitamin website, thanks for telling me, I was about to place a new order. Remember the brain uses glucose, it doesn't covert it, but it takes the liver a little while to rev up and do a good job of converting fat/protein to glucose; carbs are too easy. I am wondering about Becky our poster-child! I just got this stuff Z Sweet, it's really good, no after taste at all. Leaf of stevia.
Yeah thats the ticket. I said it wrong and could not remember what I wanted to say. Thanks
Swansons is my fav too. I spend too much there
Is the Z sweet liquid or powder?
Thanks.

Last edited by Clueless; 01-10-2013 at 03:36 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Quick check in and more to come. Ended up in ER the other night with really high blood pressure, was transported to a bigger sister hospital and just got back home. May have the answer to the headaches, neuro thinks it is occipital neuralgia, not sure if I spelled that wrong and the long period of pain may have caused my BP to spike. BP is still too high but out of danger zone. On pain med therapy so we will see if this all helps. Scared me, I have to admit.
Wow, Buffy, that is so frightening. Please keep us posted. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
When a daycare parent picked up this week she said to her child that they were on their way to weight watchers. I wanted to say NO, Don't do it! But I just smiled and said goodbye. I know that alot of what I lost a WW was LBM.
Too bad LC has such a bad wrap.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Buffy, sorry to see that your headache was a bit more serious than we knew, but happy that there are treatment options to take care of it. Get well soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #281
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Thank you all so much for all the well wishes! I am feeling better today, amazing how much better you feel when your BP is out of the danger zone. Yesterday I was just exhausted even after it started coming down but today feel more back to normal. It is not as low as I want but definitely going in the right direction and the pain therapy seems to be working.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today Buffy

1.25lb down today
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Might have talked too soon, BP on the rise again. Hospital told me to go back to ER if it got too high so watching it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
OKay, wow, where is everyone???
Barbara, good info on the coastline...I googled it for more recent pics. It looks very cold. I cannot understand folks swimming in very cold water, someone just came on the news with that polar bear swim stuff. Brrrr. Sounds like you are expert on LC, but kinda where we are, some are stalled and came to find out if NK would answer some questions. I am adjusting to the not so hungry part...waiting on losing more, decided I can be happy where I am if this is it.
Hi Cheryl. I try to catch the 3 for 1 or such specials there. Love that. I got the Z sweet in a zip package, 1 lb, it is very fine powder. It is one ingredient, leaf of stevia. I did not even look to see if there is a liquid version...will have to check next time I am at Whole Foods. I am still shaking my head at one of the ladies at work, she is on a juice diet since Jan 1... adds whey protein, but it's green. Blleeeechhhh! One day very soon she is going to get really hungry.
Hi Deborah!
Hi Shelley!
Hi Cici!
Buffy, glad to hear you are feeling better. Keep us posted.
Gail, congrats!!! Wow, you are doing so good.
Darin, are you downloading again!!!????
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #285
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Morning all!

Buffy, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending good thoughts. Hope you are ok today and that your BP came down a bit so you didn't have to go to the ER again...

Here all is well, nothing much to report. Didn't check in yesterday, as I had a busy day at work and nothing much to talk about! Weight is still the same, but that is to be expected after the huge loss from last week. I hope I am now on the fat burning path, LOL! Other things I am noticing: I am quite alert during the day, and have no tiredness dips midday. I fall asleep easier and wake up more refreshed. Candida die-off has started, and I am experiencing some bowel issues... (TMI, I know, LOL)

Posting my menu in case anyone cares:
B: BPC
L: chicken with bacon, avocado and mayo on some green leaves, cup of homemade chicken broth with butter
D: probably spinach and feta omelette

I probably won't pop in over the weekend, so have a great weekend everyone and see you here Monday! xxx

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
ct, Swansons has CO in capsules.

Luigi, I had headaces for almost a month when I first started. I read that the brain has to get changing from burning glucose to converting fat to be burned. Something like that.
Low magnesium will also cause headaches. Do you take any Magnesium? If not start slowly.

Where are buffy and becky?
Hope you guys are well.
i been taking a good quality magnesium (sea salt mixed in filtered water) for ages, i take supplemants as paart of my healthy liver regime
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
my weekly weigh in today. stayed the same as last week, even tho at one point in the week i was down 2 lbs. i did eat lunch out with a friend yesterday...ate the bun and sweet potato fries. but if i guessed accurately, i was still under 80 carbs total for the day...that doesn't seem excessive to me.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Dazygirl, BK bun and spf medium size = 63 carbs on my calculator. Do you use a food log? Guessing can mess you up pretty fast.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
yeah. i did. it was a local cafe, so had to guess. the serving of sweet potato fries was very reasonable, not too many and who knows how to figure 'hamburger bun' i just picked a generic listing for a bun.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterball View Post
Hi red, it would be interesting to know how long he expects for this inflamation to remain. Since I have been eating this way quite some while and dont have obvious inflamitory issues, no joint pain and my thinking is so much sharper than it was. Maybe it just takes time and since I still have hot flashes but much less than previously maybe when these pass it might help with the weight loss issue.
Barbara
I got the impression he was speaking in terms of months if not a few years. Certainly a very long range approach. But there are immediate benefits that kick in as soon as you are through the induction period of switching from high carb to low carb.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #291
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thats a good point about sticking to a plan for 30 days.Its easy to get paniced and flip all over the place hoping to find the answer. I have a friend who is older than me who is dropping weight nicely.her version of Low carb whic h is really calorie restriction. It shakes your belief in your chosen path even though hunger has no appeal.
Barbara
In terms of weight loss, calorie restriction works 100% of the time if you can stick with it. It doesn't matter what you are eating, stick of butter or a chicken breast, if you are starving yourself.

Very low calorie ways of eating are doomed to failure because they are the ultimate in unsustainable eating plans.

Worse than the failure of them long term is the way low cal strings you along. You can waist years never getting healthier or keeping the weight off for any length of time because of cheating. For recidivism there can be no equal.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #292
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
When a daycare parent picked up this week she said to her child that they were on their way to weight watchers. I wanted to say NO, Don't do it! But I just smiled and said goodbye. I know that alot of what I lost a WW was LBM.
Too bad LC has such a bad wrap.
I was kind of surprised when Phinney mentioned the LBM that WW followers typically lose. But from what I've seen the protein intake can be very low if you aren't real careful.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #293
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeesecake View Post
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today Buffy

1.25lb down today
Congrats!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #294
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
heh Justified marathon! So dang funny the stuff that they say and what happens on that show!

No spoilers!!! I just started on season 2!

Last episode I watched was Blaze of Glory and that old guy foot chase at the end was hysterical rofl!!!

And the guy with the dynamite vest that was really a road flare vest lol!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #295
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
OKay, wow, where is everyone???
Barbara, good info on the coastline...I googled it for more recent pics. It looks very cold. I cannot understand folks swimming in very cold water, someone just came on the news with that polar bear swim stuff. Brrrr. Sounds like you are expert on LC, but kinda where we are, some are stalled and came to find out if NK would answer some questions. I am adjusting to the not so hungry part...waiting on losing more, decided I can be happy where I am if this is it.
Hi Cheryl. I try to catch the 3 for 1 or such specials there. Love that. I got the Z sweet in a zip package, 1 lb, it is very fine powder. It is one ingredient, leaf of stevia. I did not even look to see if there is a liquid version...will have to check next time I am at Whole Foods. I am still shaking my head at one of the ladies at work, she is on a juice diet since Jan 1... adds whey protein, but it's green. Blleeeechhhh! One day very soon she is going to get really hungry.
Hi Deborah!
Hi Shelley!
Hi Cici!
Buffy, glad to hear you are feeling better. Keep us posted.
Gail, congrats!!! Wow, you are doing so good.
Hi, SG61 you may regret asking that question about cold water.! I should really be using it to swim in every day and here is why
COLD THERMOGENESIS 7 | Living an Optimized Life
This is very interesting for us older post menopausal ladies struggling with weight loss. I have been paying close attention to my sleep and in the spring I really ought to buy a swimming Kozzy and start getting COLD .I m such a whimp. I have no excuse living so close to cold water.
Barbara
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #296
Junior LCF Member

You're so right about this Red, and this is EXACTLY why persevere with NK. Ive done the low cal stuff, I have lost weight, I have been really smug. I have put weight back on and been not so smug !
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #297
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
and then after reading 'Wheat Belly' I gave up grains and have not touched them in over a year.
Wheat Belly was an eye opener for me. For the lurkers and new people I'll rattle off the things that book by itself has changed for me:

I used to eat analgesics almost every single day. It was a rare day that I didn't feel the need for a pain reliever. Headaches plagued me. Joint pain too. And there were few days that I didn't need pepcid or one of those types of acid relievers.

I used to *always* have pain reliever(s) and antacid within reach at all times. I had stashes in the truck, beside my bed, in my desk - it was unthinkable to be caught without them somewhere.

Since quitting wheat about a year ago, I have had maybe one antacid but I'm not sure that I even had that one. I have had heartburn a few times but unlike before I could ignore it and it'd go away in a little while. Wow.

I have taken a few pain relievers but it is like maybe one or two a month (!!) at the most. And usually it is for aches and pains related to being a 46 year old guy that has been banged up a few times. And, for most of the past year I was still a heavy smoker which is a high inflammation activity.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #298
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have not used sticks and do not have a meter. Working on the principal that if carbs are low enough and the other macros are right then Ketosis should follow.
Yeah, those sticks are very limited in value in my opinion. I know a lot of people use them and like them.

Blood ketone testing, on the other hand, is very accurate and can be an excellent tool for diagnostic troubleshooting when you are doing things right but not getting the results you should be getting.

Meh.

If you test and it shows your ketones are in the NK range (0.5 to 3.0) then you know it is a calorie issue. Phinney said there is no benefit to being higher in the range other than more efficient fuel usage.

But you'd 'know' that through inductive reasoning without poking your finger because you have tweaked the other parameters as a first step. Which is why calories are last to be tweaked.

If you test and it shows you to be out of the NK range (less than 0.5) then you know that your protein/carb macros are out of whack.

But you'd 'know' that through deductive reasoning without poking your finger because you have already tweaked all macros and calories. At this point you are bottomed out on a safe low calorie level (because you wisely do not subscribe to the starvation mania that runs rampant) so you must look back at the two salient macros - protein and carbs.

Even if both scenarios play out and you are still stuck, testing will only tell you that there is some other variable not accounted for but, once again, you will already know that through intuitive reasoning.

Having said all of that, blood ketone testing can be a valuable data point and a time saver. You can trim observation time quite a bit with a simple finger poke. It takes the guess work out of it. It adds another piece of the puzzle to help figure things out.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Might have talked too soon, BP on the rise again. Hospital told me to go back to ER if it got too high so watching it.
Keep a close eye on that, Buffy. As you well know, it's such a silent illness but SO serious. Keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
When I went to bed I was delighted to smell an oh so strong whiff from my urine !! This morning I read that asparagus can do that and I had that with dinner last night.I am disappointed as I thought it was ketone smell.
Fun fact about asparagus pee smell. Everyone's pee smells funny when they eat asparagus. But some people do not have the gene or whatever to pick up that particular scent! So they'd walk out of the bathroom thinking there was no need to spray, but when I walk in right after them, I'd know right away they'd been eating asparagus. The more you know......
Closed Thread