Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Art & Science of Low Carb Living/Performance

Although I've read a lot of information about these books, I must admit that I haven't actually shelled out the cash to buy them. Do you guys think they are essential? Do they offer a lot of additional information beyond that which is typically discussed?

Some background information: I do eat LCHFMP, loosely, in the sense that I don't have much interest in counting grams or buying ketone strips. I'm not interested simply because I am relatively happy with my body and my weight; both are healthy at the moment, and my weight has been very stable the entire year. I switched to LCHF because I noticed that I started to feel "unsatiated" more than I liked mid-2012.

Given that I'm not actively trying to lose weight, not counting grams or measuring ketones, would you say the book is still a good investment?

Regarding exercise, I jog for fun 1-2 x's a week (love jogging, but in the past it wasn't helpful for me, personally, to stabilize my weight. If I jog too much, I gain). I weight lift every other day for about 30 min., and since I live in Europe and don't drive, I do a lot of walking everyday. Do you think the Performance book would be helpful to me?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi Unna......my personal opinion is that if you are happy where you are in your weight, exercise activities, etc., then buying the book is definitely not something essential for your life...especially if you are not going to count grams of carbs/proteins/fat and not test to see where you fall in the NK range on the blood testing.

Save your $$ and buy yourself something really fun!!!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
they were only about 5 or 6 bux each to download, so i bought em
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Shelley - thanks for your input. I was wondering if the books discussed any additional interesting studies or had other tips, such as the tip about salt intake (which was super helpful). You seem to suggest that they are more valuable for people who are very actively counting everything and trying to lose.

Actually, what I said is not entirely true. I roughly count protein grams. Depending on my cravings, they never go above 70. I also roughly count carbs, which stay around 20. I eat much more fat for lunch and breakfast. But, I don't keep track of them on an excel since I seem to be at a stable weight.... I have a different taste in my mouth when I'm in ketosis. I also have more energy and less cravings. Additionally, I can eat until satisfaction and I don't have to go hungry ever - those are the reasons why I do it.

I mean, sure, it would be nice to lose 10lbs - but I think it is more important for my future health to just focus on increasing my muscle mass and flexibility.

goolash: that's a good point..... maybe I should just download....
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
If money is not an issue then, yes, I'd say buy the physical book for LC Living.

If you are really interested in how an athlete or an exercise enthusiast can use LC then the Performance book is a good investment too.

Downloading is an option but most people, I think, find the e-book version of books better for pleasure reading unless there is a overriding factor - like weightless nature of e-material, etc.

I can say for sure that I wish I'd have bought the physical version of LC Living in the first place. It is very easy to dog ear and flip around in a physical book versus a Kindle (for example).

As for the informative nature of the original text - it cannot be understated and if you are reading the book there are no filters that the information is traveling through before reaching you.

Know what I mean? What I got out of the book and what I report about what the book said is shaped by my comprehension of the material and my preconceptions. Particularly concerning soft issues.

On the other hand....

You don't need to if you don't want to or have a reason to. Right?

You can get enough information without resorting to buying the book(s) if you are simply curious and aren't planning on making a change anyway.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
goolash: that's a good point..... maybe I should just download....
ya and you can download them for the kindle app for computer, phone..whatever
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Knowledge is power. The more you read, the more you understand, the more you learn, the more you know, the better decisions you can make.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Knowledge is power. The more you read, the more you understand, the more you learn, the more you know, the better decisions you can make.

I agree--it's always good to go to the source material rather than rely upon interpretation! And I'll add that I'm not an athlete, but I have found the Performance book to be especially valuable while pursuing NK. I have it in kindle form and I find being able to search and make notes very valuable.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote