Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   How long does the induction period last? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/792423-how-long-does-induction-period-last.html)

Punkin 12-31-2012 05:10 AM

How long does the induction period last?

There is some discussion on the other board about exercise and the induction period and I was curious on how long it lasts. The reason I am asking is because I do a lot of strength training as well as endurance training, and I am finding a major decline in athletic performance is everything but low endurance work. The resistance training is ok but I find I need more rest in between sets and it just seems a lot more difficult. My muscles are weaker. Also my interval training is a real struggle too. But long periods of sustained exercise are fine, in fact better,they seem to require less work.

I have probably been in NK for about 2.5 to 3 weeks. So I am wondering if this decline in performance is just part of the induction period. Just curious.

cici52 12-31-2012 08:50 AM

Did you check out Nutritional Ketosis and Resistance Training in this forum?

luigi_uk 12-31-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16161411)
There is some discussion on the other board about exercise and the induction period and I was curious on how long it lasts. The reason I am asking is because I do a lot of strength training as well as endurance training, and I am finding a major decline in athletic performance is everything but low endurance work. The resistance training is ok but I find I need more rest in between sets and it just seems a lot more difficult. My muscles are weaker. Also my interval training is a real struggle too. But long periods of sustained exercise are fine, in fact better,they seem to require less work.

I have probably been in NK for about 2.5 to 3 weeks. So I am wondering if this decline in performance is just part of the induction period. Just curious.

Hi punkin
I exercise most days. It took me ages to feel ok working out while making the transition from carbs to fat for fuel, probably 6 weeks, 4 months into NK and today approaching 60 minutes of moderate CV I felt I could have gone on for hours, strength it's the same in bodypump and resistance training, I do miss the afterglow but that won't change my mind to go back, hope that helps, happy new year :)

NKSL55 12-31-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16161411)

Hi Punkin,
I have been in NK since late spring/summer. I think my body is continuing to adapt. I started a powerlifting program (stronglifts 5x5) after starting NK. 13 weeks in, most of the time I feel pretty beaten up, but that may be just because I am 50 years old. Of course there are plenty of people 50+ on StrongLifts who seem to be having an easier time of it than me. But they may have had previously done a lot of weight training. Hard to say.

--
Phillip

luigi_uk 12-31-2012 05:10 PM

im 51 :)

luigi_uk 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

Double post, woops

clackley 01-06-2013 06:59 AM

Check out Dr. Peter Attia's recent blog posts on ketosis. He writes well although includes a lot of bio-chem - which I have to admit is way over my head but he also talks about the mechanism for becoming keto-adapted in respect to exercise. Pretty interesting stuff!

Ketosis