Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Eyebrows! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/792269-eyebrows.html)

unna 12-29-2012 06:13 AM

Eyebrows!

I've been primal since January 2012, and my own version of NK since about October (unfortunately I can't remember when exactly I started).

After plucking my eyebrows as a teen, they stopped growing back in in my 20's altogether. In my avatar, you can see that my eyebrows are thin at the ends.... I've even filled them in a bit.

I love my diet. Besides alleviating my anxiety and depression, and ending the constant weight gain, my eyebrows are starting to grow back! I once read that when your eyebrows stop growing, particularly on the ends, that it could be a sign of thyroid problems.

After years of non-fat eating, too much cardio, too much smoking to stay skinny (I stopped smoking around 2011), a carb and soy loaded vegan phase, and not enough calories in general, I wouldn't be surprised if my thyroid decided to stop functioning correctly.

Actually, I cannot remember eating any wholesome fat my entire life - I had a Weight Watchers mom!

mom2zeke 12-29-2012 06:44 AM

Interesting about the eyebrows and thyroid--have you had other hypothyroid symptoms (cold, tired...)?

Congratulations on your conversion to Primal and NK--it sounds like quite a turnaround!

unna 12-29-2012 08:27 AM

I used to have a major problem with afternoon fatigue and cold feet, no matter how many pairs of socks I had on.

I wish I would have had a thyroid test done back then - I suppose I should still consider it.

shelley 12-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16158093)
I've been primal since January 2012, and my own version of NK since about October (unfortunately I can't remember when exactly I started).

After plucking my eyebrows as a teen, they stopped growing back in in my 20's altogether. In my avatar, you can see that my eyebrows are thin at the ends.... I've even filled them in a bit.

I love my diet. Besides alleviating my anxiety and depression, and ending the constant weight gain, my eyebrows are starting to grow back! I once read that when your eyebrows stop growing, particularly on the ends, that it could be a sign of thyroid problems.

After years of non-fat eating, too much cardio, too much smoking to stay skinny (I stopped smoking around 2011), a carb and soy loaded vegan phase, and not enough calories in general, I wouldn't be surprised if my thyroid decided to stop functioning correctly.

Actually, I cannot remember eating any wholesome fat my entire life - I had a Weight Watchers mom!

Hi...so happy you made the connection. One of the well known "issues" with thyroid issues is the thinning of the outer 1/3 of the eyebrows, and thinning or falling out of hair on your head (and also less hair on legs/underarms).

But what you also will discover is the raising of the fat content of your foods is super helpful for your endocrine system in general (hormones and thyroid!) They really run well given fat to help it!!!!

You may want to check your thyroid...I think all women should! Just remember that the best tests are FT4 and FT3, and you can get your own tests without a doctor....cost about $75 that way (less than a docs visit)

cici52 12-29-2012 04:13 PM

:hyst::hyst::hyst: If hair were diagnostic, I definately would not have thyroid problems. However, I have always been on the lower edge of normal according to the old tests. Definately a slow talkin, slow walkin, gal.

Invictus 12-29-2012 05:08 PM

Interesting!!!

Unna: I also have that problem. I plugged and waxed my eyebrows alot and they thinned out. But in the last couple of years even more felt out eventhough I quit the waxing. I had a lot of hair fell out on my head fell out as well. I had my thyroid checked over a year ago and it was way ?? i think its called overactive? I then found out I'm pregnant and was not able to get on meds. My baby boy is a year old now and I really really need to get re-checked. Dreading it.....

unna 12-29-2012 10:39 PM

shelley: I also don't have any hair on my upper thighs, and only a few hairs on my calves. How interesting!

I have tons of hair on my head, but I have always noticed that the hair line was a bit thinner than the hair on the crown. Also, the texture of the hair itself is dry and coarse.

Anyway, I've been doing eating lower carb for awhile, but just recently really got over my fear of eating fat (I thought it would make me fat, it didn't!). I wouldn't be surprised if I experience other changes. This is the first time in my life that I've really nourished my body.

What really ticks me off is that I used to have major problems with depression and anxiety. I even had suicidal tendencies at times. Then, after I got older, I began to think that I was just a "half glass empty" person. My personality literally started changing with LC and no sugar, and now that I've added in the FAT, I am excited to wake up every morning. I literally think over and over throughout the day how good of a life I have and how thankful I am for it. I count my blessings. It has improved my marriage substantially.

I don't have those emotional outburst that would make me say something unreasonable to my husband anymore. I have a calmness and time to reflect on my words before I spit them out. Now, I'm able to really contemplate how what I say will help solve the problem.

Part of this has to do with age - I'll be 31 next week.

But, I'm really convinced that I had some serious vitamin deficiencies that kept me from enjoying my life up until 2012 - those deficiencies made my thoughts very dark. From an evolutionary standpoint, I just read an interesting article by an evolutionary psychiatrist who theorizes that depression runs rampant in our current society because of the threat of disease. If one is depressed, one remains isolated and thus has less of a chance to catch the disease. Depression then becomes a survival mechanism for those individuals more susceptible to catching a disease, such as those with vitamin and mineral deficiencies!

Now that I am healthy, my personality is slowly changing (its not like I woke up one morning with a positive attitude). My depression is fading.

But, this is only a theory. I could think of many counterexamples. Regardless, my intuition tells me something about it is very true.

clackley 12-30-2012 06:31 AM

Unna, you describe many symptoms that I had only I am much older but have been a chronic dieter since my teens. One of the most profound changes for me since l/c ing has been the evaporation of my chronic, clinical depression. I spent many years on medication and in talk therapy. How ironic that finding this woe has apparently 'cured' me.

mom2zeke 12-30-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16159608)
I have tons of hair on my head, but I have always noticed that the hair line was a bit thinner than the hair on the crown. Also, the texture of the hair itself is dry and coarse.

Has your hair always been dry and coarse? I ask because I have always had thick hair on my head (and other places:)). But at some point my hair changed texture and became dry and coarse. Just this year I've noticed a slow change and my hair is smoother and less dry. My hairdresser said something the last two times I've been in. It's like different hair now that my thyroid is being managed correctly.

I have lost hair on my legs and arms, but I wasn't too worried about it as I always thought I had too much and now it seems like a normal amount. Eyebrows are okay--again, I always had too much and now they seem normal.

Quote:

Anyway, I've been doing eating lower carb for awhile, but just recently really got over my fear of eating fat (I thought it would make me fat, it didn't!). I wouldn't be surprised if I experience other changes. This is the first time in my life that I've really nourished my body.

What really ticks me off is that I used to have major problems with depression and anxiety. I even had suicidal tendencies at times. Then, after I got older, I began to think that I was just a "half glass empty" person. My personality literally started changing with LC and no sugar, and now that I've added in the FAT, I am excited to wake up every morning. I literally think over and over throughout the day how good of a life I have and how thankful I am for it. I count my blessings. It has improved my marriage substantially.

I don't have those emotional outburst that would make me say something unreasonable to my husband anymore. I have a calmness and time to reflect on my words before I spit them out. Now, I'm able to really contemplate how what I say will help solve the problem.

Part of this has to do with age - I'll be 31 next week.

But, I'm really convinced that I had some serious vitamin deficiencies that kept me from enjoying my life up until 2012 - those deficiencies made my thoughts very dark. From an evolutionary standpoint, I just read an interesting article by an evolutionary psychiatrist who theorizes that depression runs rampant in our current society because of the threat of disease. If one is depressed, one remains isolated and thus has less of a chance to catch the disease. Depression then becomes a survival mechanism for those individuals more susceptible to catching a disease, such as those with vitamin and mineral deficiencies!

Now that I am healthy, my personality is slowly changing (its not like I woke up one morning with a positive attitude). My depression is fading.

But, this is only a theory. I could think of many counterexamples. Regardless, my intuition tells me something about it is very true.
I also had emotional issues and depression pre-LC. It's amazing how this WOE can normalize so many things that we don't necessarily think of as diet related.

For me, my thyroid was still a mess, but even still I felt so much better when I started LC. That's part of what kept me going so long when I stalled--I couldn't imagine going back to that dark place.

waggmore 12-30-2012 07:04 AM

Hi Unna,
This is my first post! I had to respond to your depression and how you now feel better on LC and eating fat. I just want you to know this is real and it's not 'all in your head'. I found out several years ago when I eat grains I get very depressed and tired. It takes about 3 days to get it out of my system and I start feeling normal, have more energy and have an optimistic outlook on life. I don't know why I just know that is how my body responds to grains. I don't have Celiac disease, been tested. So I think there is still a lot to learn about how different foods affect us. I don't do well even eating gluten free or low carb grains.

Just wanted to let you know!
Bobbie

shelley 12-30-2012 09:37 AM

What a fun discussion.

Welcome Bobbie and thanks for your input.

I totally agree with everything said by all of you about "everything". The texture of hair is another "thing" on the list of thyroid symptoms.

I also noticed the same "change" in my emotions being much more 'even' when I started higher fat.

Isn't this science experiment fun!?!?!!

unna 12-30-2012 11:15 PM

clackley: I totally agree. I never ever went into this with the expectation that it would alleviate my depression!

I was worried about writing how my personality seems to have changed, and how my depression seems to be gone, because I was worried that people would think I was exagerrating and a bit nuts ... As an academic - a post graduate student of philosophy and evolutionary psychology, I have been taught for many years how to be rational.

I know there are a lot of people on the internet unrationally connecting their diet to healing every ailment known to man. For example, I really don't believe you can eat a thousand bananas a day to cure your acne, but some people do.

I believe the depression did have something to do with the famous omega 3's and omega 6's. I literally started to notice an improvement after fish oil. But I would never conclude that it was just the fish oil. Low carb, in particular, seems to have improved my hormones.

Besides the improvement of my mood, I have noticed one substantial difference in my body (over a period of time). My periods have drastically changed. Before I started, they were dark, thick, clotty, and I had really terrible cramps. I almost had to cancel everything the day they started. I dreaded it every. single. month. I knew they were coming because I would have really bad PMS - what my husband and I acknowledged as my "evil week". I would lash out and overreact.

I sound like a cheesy infomercial - but my periods and pms have changed completely:

-I no longer have cramps - instead I have a slightly heavy feeling in my lower stomach. I used to get the 'cramps' in my upper thighs and lower back really badly - not anymore.
-My "evil week" has disappeared.
-Their appearance has changed completely: from cloggy, dark blood that no tampon was big enough for - which was super heavy the first 3 days, then was spotty the rest of the time, is now: thinner, redder, much smaller clogs, which last about 3 days. To be honest, I barely notice its there.

Honestly, I never knew this was a possibility. I thought I was simply cursed with bad periods. I mean, I've been on a "whole foods" diet for years (which was still high carb, low fat - but the food itself was always real food - mostly fruits and vegetables.... I started only eating whole foods after Michael Pollan's first book many, many years ago.)

So, no one can say these changes happened because I "cut all the crap out of my diet". I can't really remember the last time anything "refined" or "white" was in my diet. I was eating super healthy whole grains and lots of fruit!

Anyway, I kept looking around on different forums for anyone else talking about period and pms relief, or how low carb affects depression, but people are always much more concerned with the weight loss only (understandably).

waggmore: Thank you so much for sharing your experience too - even though I don't seem to be outwardly sensitive to gluten (I don't get stomach aches), I don't doubt that it could have been affecting my mind.

mom2zeke: I have had thick hair for as long as I can remember, and it was always a bit dry. I've been using moroccan oil on it this past year, which helps the dryness. I did notice that my hair seems to be growing faster than normal - I can't say definitely if it is softer or more hydrated (It could be the moroccan oil!). I will have to go a few weeks without using it to see if it is changing - or, it could be that, since I've just recently overcome my fear of eating fat, that it will take more time to change, if it does at all.

I hope my message doesn't sound like an infomercial! Or like hocus pocus! I am simply really excited about the fact that a dark veil has been lifted from my head, my steady energy, and about the normal, manageable periods.

Carbs and fats play huge roles in the production of hormones - I wish we knew more about these.

clackley 12-31-2012 05:51 AM

Unna, you might be interested in Dr. Emily Deans who is a psychologist that writes for 'Psychology Today' and has a blog. She is pretty interesting.

Hormones - that is it for most things and the key is to learn how to control them.