Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Alcohol in ketosis?! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/792264-alcohol-ketosis.html)

Punkin 12-29-2012 04:28 AM

Alcohol in ketosis?!

Is alcohol considered a carbohydrate, can it knock you out of ketosis? I know that most people don't drink alcohol without sugary mixes, so that is why they could be a problem. But what about something like homemade egg nogg with run? If you use the heavy cream and egg with no sugar and a bit of rum, does it have no carbs in it? My food calculator says 1 oz rum has no carbs in it.

I am asking for my sister bc she is going to a new years eve dinner party and has just started in NK and she doesn't want to mess it up. I gave her the advice with the egg nogg, are there any other drinks that might work well for NK?

svenskamae 12-29-2012 04:59 AM

Rum is made from fermented sugar cane, and I recall reading about it being one of the drinks to avoid. A glass of dry wine is usually what I choose, if I am going to drink any alcohol. Another reasonable choice would be a shot of vodka in a glass of diet tonic water. Avoid sweet alcohols like liqueurs and sweet wines and avoid beer, except maybe the lowest carb light beer. I'd also strongly advise limiting alcohol intake to one drink; for a second drink, ask for tonic water or seltzer with lime and ice, and nobody can tell whether your glass is topped up with vodka or gin or not.

I only drink on rare social occasions, so others probably have more first hand experience and advice than I do.

bjjcaveman 12-29-2012 05:39 AM

i hope i can limit myself to one drink this new years eve!

unna 12-29-2012 06:29 AM

I believe alcohol is produced by splitting a sugar molecule.... anyway, it will probably knock you out of ketosis (and give you a nice buzz!) and raise your blood sugar....

I will probably have a few shots of gin and diet soda this new years when we get close to 12am - normally I never drink alcohol or diet soda, but I want to be festive. As long as you are the type of person that can get back on track immediately, you probably won't need to worry about it.

However, didn't you write in another post that you've been dealing with carb addiction? If that is the case, I'd try to avoid it if I were you.

Punkin 12-29-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16158130)
However, didn't you write in another post that you've been dealing with carb addiction? If that is the case, I'd try to avoid it if I were you.

I am asking for my sister. In the past a nice buzz for me usually resulted in a tray of brownies on the side! So yes, I avoid alcohol now.

mom2zeke 12-29-2012 07:26 AM

Top shelf vodka and club soda with lime is my drink of choice. My absolute favorite is Hangar One Mandarin Orange Blossom vodka and soda.

Dry wine (red or white) is supposed to be okay but it has a few carbs and I don't feel very well after drinking even one glass.

jem51 12-29-2012 07:33 AM

Dr Atkins talked about alcohol and listed the safe ones and spirits were the top of the list but I cannot remember which ones.

Dry wine was next.

My book is packed but someone else may have the info or you can google....

jem51 12-29-2012 07:53 AM

I'm back and from what I understand, basic spirits (vodka, gin ,rum, scotch, tequila) are no carb but do carry 7 cals/gram of alcohol.

So that's the way to go unless you prefer wine which is a good choice but the dry ones.

Stay far, far away from any liqueurs.

I saw some SF mixers for a good price at Walmart and your package store will have some but the vodkas w essense are a great choice as Kristn mentioned.
My daughter loves these.

Mix up your own margaritas w lime juice, splenda and diet orange soda (or use orange extract..my preference).
This is to taste since sweetness is individual....same w the tequila.

Look on line for other LC cocktail recipes if that's not enough.
The vodkas are a great choice because they come in just about every flavor.

unna 12-29-2012 08:23 AM

Punkin: I always regret drinking the day after - it doesn't make me eat a tray of brownies, but it does lead to terrible sleep quality .... I lay awake the entire night thinking the same negative, anxious thoughts over and over.

I might just have to avoid drinking this year like you!

clackley 12-29-2012 11:11 AM

Alcohol is the 4th macro-nutrient. It provides energy and according to atkins it will supersede all other macros until it has been digested. A pure alcohol will not knock a person out of ketosis on it's own (rum, vodka, and any other 'hard liquor'). In fact, Atkins was once dubbed 'the drinking man's diet'.

Wines, liquors, and other spirits with sugars will most definitely have an impact on ketosis. My preferred 'poison' is dry red wine and if I were to have a couple of glasses of just that and no other foods, I would probably be ok but it never is that way and even though I pick low carb foods, it seems to exceed my tolerance and voila, I am out of n.k..

The next time I attempt to have my wine and keep my n.k. too, I am going to stick with a 'fat fast only' diet for the entire day and see if I can get away with it.

cici52 12-29-2012 04:17 PM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:Tis the season:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

mjcel 12-30-2012 01:12 PM

I have been doing gin with diet tonic and a few green queen olives. I think this is pretty low carb and doesn't seem to affect my progress.

drjlocarb 12-30-2012 01:39 PM

FYI;

Breath ketones, hot sauce(hot wings and poppers), and alcohol will register positive on a breathalyzer test.