Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Buying a blood ketone meter

I think I need to start using one, especially since I have some dietary challenges

Does anyone have one that is recommended. Also where can I get one and how much do they cost approximately.

I don't know anything about them.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I'm not an expert on this since I just purchased mine this last week . I think the only 2 available are from Precision and NovaMax. Precision tends to be a little more accurate but the strips are REALLY expensive. NovaMax doesn't seem to be quite as accurate (at least with glucose readings) but the strips are a little more reasonable. I usually look up this kind of thing on amazon. Some people have reported good prices from american diabetes wholesale so you might want to look there also.

Just remember that the meter has to check blood ketones - not just glucose. Any strips you are looking at must check blood ketones - not the urine ketones (those strips are very inexpensive).

Others will chime in with more info I'm sure
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
I'm no expert either, but I got my Precision reader for free. We can't post links here, but I think if you Google "free Precision Xtra meter" the top search result should be the right one. It's totally legit - straight from the manufacturer. Also, the fact that the form asked for insurance info freaked me out, but apparently that's nothing. They didn't even have my insurance company in their selection list, so I chose a random one. I got my meter delivered via FedEx within a week!

When it comes to the strips, it's not so easy or cheap. I found a Canadian pharmacy online where I've been ordering my strips. The price there is $19.99 for a box of 10, plus approximately $7 shipping to the U.S. It seems like the shipping takes forever, but I'm not sure if that's a fault of the specific pharmacy or the fact that it's coming from Canada and I'm simply impatient. I just tried a Google search for "Precision Xtra ketone strips" and the pharmacy I've been using was the third search result. You may have better luck finding a cheaper/faster pharmacy if you keep looking. I've just been sticking with the familiar!

The only problem I've had with that pharmacy was that my second order of strips was very delayed because for some reason they had to talk to me on the phone to verbally confirm my order. And they didn't let me know this until several days after I placed my order. On the phone I asked them, why didn't I have to do this with my first order? They said that it was standard practice on all orders, and it was unusual that I didn't have to the first time. Well, when I got ready to place my third order, I crossed my fingers and tried it online again without calling...turns out no phone call was necessary that time either.

Whichever meter you choose - good luck!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Both meters are available free with a google search, just make sure you get the Nova Max Plus, or Precision Xtra. These two meters are the only ones that I am aware of that test ketones.

The Nova comes with 2 free ketone strips (and two more free when you register the meter), the Precision does not.

The Nova strips are available relatively inexpensively and easily from American Diabetes Warehouse. They even have an offer for a free meter when you buy a box of ketone strips (probably the fastest way to get the Nova). The best price on the Precision strips is from Canada as Lindsay mentioned.

That being said, people seem to like the Precision better. The Nova is a bit trickier and seems to have more errors and probably reads slightly lower than the Precision. I got the free Precision but have not yet had a chance to use it (and haven't ordered the ketone strips--I have lots of Nova strips to use up). Like Lindsay, mine came very quickly (unlike the free Nova which took a while).
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I have the Nova Max plus and have been using it since the first of September, and have never had an error message. But it's not terribly reliable for glucose testing. But the ketone testing seems to work well. I also got mine with the "buy the ketone strips" and get the meter deal at American Diabetes Warehouse and they ship FAST!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
I have the precision xtra and love it. It has never given me an error reading and it's very easy to use.
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Is the ketone testing something you need to do forever or is it just until you get hang of the diet, and what keeps or knocks you out of ketosis.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Is the ketone testing something you need to do forever or is it just until you get hang of the diet, and what keeps or knocks you out of ketosis.
Not forever--althought I must say it becomes kind of addicting. When I was losing I tested less because I was eating mostly the same things and the same macros so as long as I didn't go off track I knew that I was in ketosis. I've been consistently testing with a few breaks since August 27th when I hit goal. I am almost at a place where I think I might be able to back off on testing. It's helpful for the reasons you stated, testing what macros keep or knock you out of ketosis.

Part of the reason that I've kept testing is that my ketones got low and I was in and out of ketosis for a while. I've been able to make a few changes and get a more consistent reading, although nowhere near as high as it was when I was losing.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Does anyone know if the strips are available and cheaper to buy from an actual canadian pharmacy? I live close to Victoria and might be heading across the pond soon. If I can buy them in-store, it would save a lot of trouble.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I'm Canadian, so I'd be interested in knowing where to buy the machine here, and the strips. I'm in Nanaimo, just an hour from Victoria!
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: etbjsoda
Stats: 209/192/125
WOE: Low-carb
Start Date: Jan 2013
Question please...

Why test blood for ketones instead of urine?
etbjsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
I'm Canadian, so I'd be interested in knowing where to buy the machine here, and the strips. I'm in Nanaimo, just an hour from Victoria!
Clackly has purchased strips locally in Canada (but I don't think she's anywhere near you). You could call around to local pharmacies and see if they carry them. I believe the Precision Xtra is the one that's carried in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbjsoda View Post
Why test blood for ketones instead of urine?
The blood meter tests a different ketone, BHOB. Also, the urine strips only tell you what's excreted, not what's being used by your body. If you're losing, it doesn't really matter. But if you're trying to live in a state of nutritional ketosis it can be helpful to measure the bood ketones.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
I found ketone strips for the Precision on ebay this week and won the auction for only $12.50 for a box of 10. I'm sure I got lucky on the price, but wanted to pass along the fact that there are deals to be had outside the usual stores. Now if only we could get Netrition to start carrying them!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks for all the great info here. I ordered my free Precision yesterday. Now to find strips...
Yvonnem2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Part of the reason that I've kept testing is that my ketones got low and I was in and out of ketosis for a while. I've been able to make a few changes and get a more consistent reading, although nowhere near as high as it was when I was losing:dunno:.
I remember when you were having issues. What changes did you end up making?

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
I remember when you were having issues. What changes did you end up making?

--
Phillip
Lowering my protein was the change that got me back into higher ketone readings. Lowering my fat got me down below my goal weight and hopefully to 20% BF. It's hard to really know about the BF% without an accurate test--I'm basing my BF% on my last recorded LBM. I'll probably get another dunk test in February.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks for the ebay recommendation, Merry Kate. I'm bidding on one today!
Yvonnem2000 is online now   Reply With Quote