Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Appetite!

Anyone in nutritional ketosis feel a tangible difference in their appetite? According to the Low Carb Performance book and Jimmy Moore's experiences they report people who are in ketosis have a drop in appetite.

With Jimmy especially, he has written that he could fast almost 24 hours and still not be hungry!

My appetite is still the same no matter what range of ketones I'm in.

I'm just curious to other peoples experience
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've definitely had a reduction in appetite over the past year, but I'm not sure which of the following factors was important--eating low carb, eating very clean, eating a high fat diet and limiting protein, and/or doing JUDDD (alternate day very low calories). My guess is that having trained my body to burn fat--i.e., being in nutritional ketosis--was a factor in limiting appetite, because I can access my body fat for fuel and because I find fat (in food) satiating. I don't track ketone levels in my blood, but I do keep carb and protein gram intake low enough that I assume I am in nutritional ketosis.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I think that's probably the smarter and more cost effective way to approach things.

My plan is to track my ketone levels a while longer so I have a better sense of what's going on in my body.

Under the ketone tracking thread, after the other members suggested that I keep a better log of my food intake, I discovered that I was eating more than 3000 calories a day! and that was me just eating to satiety, as volek and phinney recommended.

Not sure why this is and why my appetite hasn't come down a notch.

After reading Jimmy Moore's experience, it seemed like hardly ever really felt hungry.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
If I'm busy working or running errands, I can go for a really long time between meals - without getting the cranky, hypoglycemic feeling. I could never do this on any other diet. I remember simply calorie counting, with no attention to macronutrients and feeling completely ravenous every couple hours.

When I first started primal, also without particular attention to macronutrients, I remember the ravenous hunger went away for the first time in my life. I was totally floored.

But after 6 months, I started to feel a tiny bit of that ravenous hunger coming back (but not nearly as bad as it had been in the past). This led me to look into the satiety factor in fat and NK. I had obviously started eating too much protein.

Now my hunger is pretty controlled again. But, if I am just at home relaxing on a Sunday, I can still feel 'fake' hunger. I don't think that will ever go away. The mind tries to fight boredom at all costs. My mind, unfortunately, turns to food. So, I try to avoid letting it get that far.

Anyway, my answer is NK does help control my appetite - more so than any other diet. But, at the same time, I still have to make sure I'm very busy all the time - as boredom and procrastination can still create false hunger pangs.

If that makes sense.... sorry for the rant. Personally, I feel appetite and satiety are extremely complex phenomena that are intertwined in the mind and body. To control your appetite and food intake, I think one must learn how to manage both.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I find it is great if eating at or above my maintenance, however below maintenance I am still hungry. The difference between hunger in NK and hunger on HC is that it is too difficult to ignore in HC. Now I am starting to believe the hunger I feel in NK is triggered more by external cues (ie. presence of high carb foods in my environment). I too had to look at the amount of protein I am consuming. I am thinking of maybe tracking my blood ketones, just to get a better sense of what I am doing.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post

Anyway, my answer is NK does help control my appetite - more so than any other diet. But, at the same time, I still have to make sure I'm very busy all the time - as boredom and procrastination can still create false hunger pangs.

If that makes sense.... sorry for the rant. Personally, I feel appetite and satiety are extremely complex phenomena that are intertwined in the mind and body. To control your appetite and food intake, I think one must learn how to manage both.
I think you're right about the false hunger pangs. Now that you mention it I do get the hunger pangs, but after eating a tiny bit, they go away... but then they come back again.. and I guess thats the problem!

I'll try to do a better job of recognizing the "you're full" signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I find it is great if eating at or above my maintenance, however below maintenance I am still hungry. The difference between hunger in NK and hunger on HC is that it is too difficult to ignore in HC. Now I am starting to believe the hunger I feel in NK is triggered more by external cues (ie. presence of high carb foods in my environment). I too had to look at the amount of protein I am consuming. I am thinking of maybe tracking my blood ketones, just to get a better sense of what I am doing.
thanks for pointing this out.. i've noticed it too.. it's easier to ignore the NK hunger than it is the carb hunger..
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
I think you're right about the false hunger pangs. Now that you mention it I do get the hunger pangs, but after eating a tiny bit, they go away... but then they come back again.. and I guess thats the problem!

I'll try to do a better job of recognizing the "you're full" signal.

thanks for pointing this out.. i've noticed it too.. it's easier to ignore the NK hunger than it is the carb hunger..
For myself, I view carbs as almost like an addictive substance. Just the smell of a high carb food...ie. toast in the toaster can set off my hunger signals. But this is false hunger, I think it is just my body asking for more of something it has an affinity towards as opposed to "true" hunger. I have enough body fat on me so why do I need to eat? When I was in the obese BMI range, I always wondered why I felt hungry. It didn't make sense to me, because my body had plenty of stored fuel (fat). This started me thinking, if I am always over-eating (ie. storing fat) why is my body sending more signals that I need to eat more food? That is when I realized that it must be based on some type of addiction. Now I truly believe that the way my body works, carbs for me are as bad as nicotine and alcohol for others. The one problem is, carbs will always be around. They will always be in my house and at social gatherings. For this reason I have to learn to deal with that.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
Anyone in nutritional ketosis feel a tangible difference in their appetite? According to the Low Carb Performance book and Jimmy Moore's experiences they report people who are in ketosis have a drop in appetite.

With Jimmy especially, he has written that he could fast almost 24 hours and still not be hungry!

My appetite is still the same no matter what range of ketones I'm in.

I'm just curious to other peoples experience
im the same as you, my highest reading so far has been 1.3, i still feel hungry if i miss a mealtime, although not with the emergency i felt before on high carbs
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
im the same as you, my highest reading so far has been 1.3, i still feel hungry if i miss a mealtime, although not with the emergency i felt before on high carbs
Thinking about this a little more (today I still had appetite issues), I'm curious now as to wth is happening to my body while I'm hungry.

Normally hunger is stimulated by hypoglycemia.

And if I'm ketoadapted and have a near unlimited source of fuel (trust me, I have plenty of adipose), my body should be running primarily on ketones.

I smell another potential experiment...

Once I get more ketone sticks, I think what I'll do is wait until my appetite kicks into full gear, and then check my ketone levels and blood sugar.

It'd be interesting to see what my ketone levels do when this happens... if they go up then presumably that means my body is breaking down even more fat... if they go down then.. I have no clue..

And if it's hypoglycemia causing the hunger, then maybe I need to increase my carb intake a little?

This stuff is sooooo interesting!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
My appetite went down gradually to the point now that I seldom get hungry. In the AM I have coffee and CO and can go for hours on that, didn't eat until 6 pm today. I don't try to do it, just am not hungry. I usually make myself eat at least twice a day to get enough protein in.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My appetite is greatly diminished in n.k. and although I am not testing blood ketones, I know when I have exceeded my personal limit of carbs and/or protein because of 'hunger' signals. Being actually hungry in n.k. is quite a different experience than opposed to any other.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
My appetite went down gradually to the point now that I seldom get hungry. In the AM I have coffee and CO and can go for hours on that, didn't eat until 6 pm today. I don't try to do it, just am not hungry. I usually make myself eat at least twice a day to get enough protein in.
Wow! I hope to get to that point!

I was still getting hunger pangs when I had a hot cocoa with 2 tbsp grass fed butter, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and coconut/almond milk!

Maybe my body just takes a while to adjust.

Buffy, when did you first notice it? How long after you started in september?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Caveman, it was a very very gradual thing, I can remember at first carefully trying to keep calories low, and after the initial water loss my loss was gradual but I was ok as long as I saw steady downward trend. As I got further into it and the good it was doing to my blood sugar levels and knowing I was going to stick to this for health I relaxed on the calories and let them go higher , still had slow loss going on and just begin eating however much I wanted and my appetite was still dropping. It was probably 3 months when I got yo the point of losing interest in cooking and then having to make sure I got enough protein in. A few days a week I will be a little hungrier but more than not, very low appetite. I wish I knew exactly what is going on so I could share it. I did stay in constant ketosis from mid sept to Christmas Day when I ate quite a few carb but even though it has taken me all week to get back in, I still haven't been hungry.