Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   juicing question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/792064-juicing-question.html)

luigi_uk 12-26-2012 04:58 AM

juicing question

do juices from veg/fruit have carbs?

today i juiced a carrot, 1/2 lemon, cabbage, sweet pepper, parsley and celery. Do juices retain any carbs?

momacat 12-26-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi_uk (Post 16153109)
do juices from veg/fruit have carbs?

today i juiced a carrot, 1/2 lemon, cabbage, sweet pepper, parsley and celery. Do juices retain any carbs?

Why would these foods have less carbs ib them is you juiced them?

luigi_uk 12-26-2012 06:32 AM

i dont know, thats why i asked?

ok lets ask his question another way.

scenario 1: i eat 100g of carrots
scenario 2: i drink the juice of 100g carrots

which scenario (if not both the same) means i get the most glycemic load?

makrida 12-26-2012 06:42 AM

Yes, It's as if you ate them. Thats why you have to be so careful with fruit juices.

cici52 12-26-2012 06:52 AM

You should get higher glyc load from the juice because there is no fiber to slow the process down (assuming your juicer extracts the juice instead of just blending the veg).

luigi_uk 12-26-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16153195)
You should get higher glyc load from the juice because there is no fiber to slow the process down (assuming your juicer extracts the juice instead of just blending the veg).

thanks, thats what i wanted to know...
my juicer is a masticating one, so just the juice is extracted

i am juicing to heal my fatty liver, no other reason.

svenskamae 12-26-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi_uk (Post 16153212)
thanks, thats what i wanted to know...
my juicer is a masticating one, so just the juice is extracted

i am juicing to heal my fatty liver, no other reason.

I'm curious about why fatty liver would be healed by juicing? My sense is that one of the main causes of fatty liver now is high fructose consumption (since fructose is processed in the liver), and if you choose to juice fruit, then you will be stressing your liver more. (I did notice that your example was of juicing vegetables, not fruit, so perhaps this is somewhat irrelevant, but root vegetables like yams, carrots, and beets do have some fructose.)

luigi_uk 12-27-2012 07:17 AM

lemon is the only fruit i juice, well known for healing properties

svenskamae 12-27-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi_uk (Post 16154839)
lemon is the only fruit i juice, well known for healing properties

Thanks, Luigi, for the clarification. The nutritionist Louise Gittelman suggests drinking hot water with lemon juice first thing in the morning to support liver functioning, so that sounds like a good choice.