Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Nutritional Ketosis Goals for 2013

I thought it might be fun to have a goal thread for 2013 so we can all come back in a year and see how we did. Hopefully we'll all still be here on LCF!

My goals for 2013:

Weight within 2 pounds of 145
Morning ketones ≥ .5
Stay active on LCF
BF% ≤ 20%
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Marking my spot, have to think about my goals. BBL
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hello!

Great idea for this thread.

My goal for 2013 is to make my goal of 144. I may re-evaluate, but given my lifetime of being overweight, it will meet my requirement of not being obese and not even overweight. I look forward to living at that weight for awhile.

I also declare I will actually open my Slow Burn DVDs and in 2013 I will actually perform the exercises!

If you fail to plan you plan to fail!
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I kind of thought this was cute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04145butter full.JPG (24.0 KB, 47 views)
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I'm a lurker, but I'm completely into NK.

I started with primal in January 2012. Loved it. I've been refining it since the beginning of October according to energy levels, which, for me means lower carb and higher fat.

My NK goal is to simply keep feeling SO energetic and pleased with life eating this way. I hope my weight remains stable (between 155-160, I'm 5'9" and 30 years old), and that I keep making strength gains.

Primal made me feel good, my primal-modified version of HFLC makes me feel ridiculously good.

I went from being sad, anxious, depressed, and a glass half empty thinker, to being energetic with only short bouts of depression, if at all. My weight is stable for the first time in my life, and I get to eat such amazing food and feel satisfied.

I wish I could tell everyone, but people outside this world don't understand, and they don't even want to try to understand. oh well.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
my 2013

stay between >0.5 and <3.0 BK
heal my fatty liver
exercise healthily by not overdoing it causing more inflammation!
keep logging in to LCB
keep learning about nutrition

merry xmas
x
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post

I started with primal in January 2012. Loved it. I've been refining it since the beginning of October according to energy levels, which, for me means lower carb and higher fat.

My NK goal is to simply keep feeling SO energetic and pleased with life eating this way. I hope my weight remains stable (between 155-160, I'm 5'9" and 30 years old), and that I keep making strength gains.

Primal made me feel good, my primal-modified version of HFLC makes me feel ridiculously good.

I went from being sad, anxious, depressed, and a glass half empty thinker, to being energetic with only short bouts of depression, if at all. My weight is stable for the first time in my life, and I get to eat such amazing food and feel satisfied.

I wish I could tell everyone, but people outside this world don't understand, and they don't even want to try to understand. oh well.
Unna--thanks for delurking! It's great to hear that this is working so well for you. I totally get what you're saying about people not understanding--my DH is the only person I know IRL who gets it.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Let me start by saying I'm not testing BK because the strips are so darn expensive . I have been following the guidelines for NK since July when I read Jimmy's blog. It took me months to start losing - slowly lowering protein from around 80g to 45g-50g a day. I have been eating 30g total carbs a day for most of the last 2 1/2 years (following Dr. Bernstein). I still find eating between 45g-50g a day protein a challenge!

So, my goals for NK for 2013 are to:

Continue posting on LCF
Strive every day to control the protein
Use the "walk" DVD I recently purchased 3 or 4x a week

I may come up with more, but that is it for now
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
mom2zeke:

I also should thank you for posting so much about your experience with NK! I read so many of your posts when I was starting. There really aren't many people posting about their experiences.

You wrote in one thread that you are doing kettlebells - I am envious, there are no kettlebell classes in my area! In general, I find I have a ton of energy for lifting heavy. I don't do kettlebells in specific, but overhead presses, deadlifts, planks, pushups, pullups, etc.

I think HFLC goes perfectly with heavy lifting.

Anyway, thanks for writing about your experiences mom2zeke!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Hm...don't want to set the bar too high. But, I'd like to reserve the right to revise my goals at any time during 2013, if the following goals are already met before the end of the year:

- One unassisted pull up (thanks for the idea, Kristn!)

- Get down to at least 130 lbs

- 25% body fat max

- And no cheating or giving up!!!
UnstrungHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
mom2zeke:

I also should thank you for posting so much about your experience with NK! I read so many of your posts when I was starting. There really aren't many people posting about their experiences.
Thanks, I'm really glad it's been helpful! I often feel like I overshare, but I'm so excited about what NK has done for me. It feels like more and more people are trying this WOE and hopefully even more will share their experiences. The more data points the better with something this new.

Quote:
You wrote in one thread that you are doing kettlebells - I am envious, there are no kettlebell classes in my area! In general, I find I have a ton of energy for lifting heavy. I don't do kettlebells in specific, but overhead presses, deadlifts, planks, pushups, pullups, etc.

I think HFLC goes perfectly with heavy lifting.
I agree about the heavy lifting and NK. I often have an urge to just drop down and do push ups. Never in my life have I felt this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post

- One unassisted pull up (thanks for the idea, Kristn!)
I almost forgot about this goal! I'm adding it to my list. My pull-up bar is going up again this week.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Nutritional Ketosis Goals for 2013

1) Avoid excessive protein
2) Avoid nuts and cheese
3) Lift weights 3X/week
4) Meditate daily
5) Keep on, keeping on

Peace

Joe E O
JoeEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Trying to decide on my goals for the next year.
1. Continue this WOE, my first and foremost goal was to improve health.
2. Continue with the added bonus I have found of weight loss and tight control of diabetes BS.
3. Continue with the program in the hopes of my high blood pressure getting lower and lower and losing some of the meds I have had to take for several years now.

I so value our network we have built here on LCF's, and truly hope to see more information, books and press come out on NK.

I too hope we do and will re-evaluate our goals as we move through this next year.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
JUST DO IT!

That about sums it up.

I need a few uninterrupted months (stay home) to make this work. I cannot stay on this track when I travel!

Get more strips.

Get down to and surpass "THE STALL WEIGHT".

Try to de-lurk more.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I love reading everyone's goals, keep 'em coming! 2013 should be a banner year for NK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I too hope we do and will re-evaluate our goals as we move through this next year.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

Try to de-lurk more.
drjlocarb your addition to these threads is greatly appreciated.

Lurkers--come out, introduce yourselves, and post your goals! We won't bite.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all....great and reasonable goals so far from everyone.

I want to continue to figure out what works for me and what doesn't and then find the "sweet spot" of success that others have already found. I'm still a science project in the works I guess. But now I have a trainer/nutritionist trying to help which may be just what I need. We shall see.

I can't do a pull-up, but I'm working still towards getting my one "man's pushup" which goes down and back up! (I can do the going down part!!! It's the getting back up that is hard).

I also want to cross my legs standing up, sit on the floor with no hands, and get back up. I am hopeful to get that back as I used to be able to do it.

Like Buffy, I'm doing this for health reasons. My new "replacement" glucose meter should be here soon, and then will see how well I do in the avoidance of Type II diabetes as that is my main goal.

I would love to lose a minimum of 15# (1/2 my 30# loss goal), and think it's reasonable if I find my sweet spot with the macros.

It's nice to see a few "lost" names in this list....I've missed Joe and drjlocab!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Hi Everyone!

My goals are to:
-remain in NK betwen 0.5-3.0 bk
-get down and below my stall weight of 136- preferably lower, but won't make it a goal yet.
-build my core strength back up
-improve my balance
-experience emotional growth
-eat 3 meals a day with optional snacks (between b&l and l&d)
sasonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My goal is to lose more weight. I have a trip to Spain and Italy coming up in May and I would be so happy if I were a bit lighter by then.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Well my main goal is to stabilize my insulin levels and teach my body how to burn fat as fuel, not "wish for" carbs. I have only been in NK for probably just over a week now and I think my body thinks it is starving. The first few days were great but now I am getting signals that I need to eat more. I am feeding my body with lots of calories, however they are coming in mostly as fat. I don't know how long it takes for the body to start recognizing fat as a significant source of fuel, but that is my main goal for this year.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
January - break the stall, any way it takes. Onderland.
February - Continue losing - 195
March - 190
April - 185
May - 180
June - 175
July - 170
August - 165
September - 160
October - 155 No longer "overweight"
November - 150
December - 145 lean and mean.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
I hope to reach these goals by the end of each month using NK:

Dec 2012 - 215
January - 210
February - 205
March - 199
April - 195
May - 190
June -185
July - 180
August - 175
September - 169
October - 165
November - 159
December - 155
January 2014 - 150

Stay wheat and grain-free
Utilize the many DVD I have to whip my body into something better than now.
Weigh in once a week no matter what.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:

Thanks for coming out of lurkerdom, unna, and for sharing. That's a very motivational post--I'm glad that you are feeling ridiculously good on this WOE and hope that continues through all of 2013, as well.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Well my main goal is to stabilize my insulin levels and teach my body how to burn fat as fuel, not "wish for" carbs. I have only been in NK for probably just over a week now and I think my body thinks it is starving. The first few days were great but now I am getting signals that I need to eat more. I am feeding my body with lots of calories, however they are coming in mostly as fat. I don't know how long it takes for the body to start recognizing fat as a significant source of fuel, but that is my main goal for this year.
It really takes a while to get used to lower protein levels, Punkin. I was so crazy hungry, limiting my protein intake, that I seriously considered abandoning NK during the first couple of months on this WOE. It was much harder for me to cut back protein than it was to adjust to 300-500 calorie down days on JUDDD, after getting used to lower protein. Now I find eating a lowcarb, moderate protein, high fat diet immensely satisfying, and my appetite is under good control and I'm losing weight more quickly than before, so it's worth hanging in there.

If it's too hard to cut way back quickly, then try gradually dialling down your protein levels, maybe 5 grams less per week. One of the books about eating for nutritional ketosis for weight loss, by a Swedish writer, acknowledges that it may take several weeks--even up to 6 months--for one's body to learn to burn fat effectively, but most people here seem to get to that point eventually. So don't give up!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

My goals are:
1) to continue to follow a clean, lowcarb/moderate protein/high fat version of JUDDD, as many days as I possibly can;
2) To do toning and resistence training, using DVDs, more than once a week (ideally several times a week);
3) To make progress toward my weight loss goal and enter the "overweight" (rather than "obese") category;
4) To regularly check and post to this board and subsections (NK, JUDDD, challenges);
5) To continue to eat no grains and no sweeteners.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hi, My name is Linda and I am lurker and a runner. I keep trying to do this. I want to do this. But just have so much trouble understanding all of it. You all seem so smart at getting it. And full of information. But I must just be slow to learn. Said all that to say this. I am going to do it the best I can. I lost 42 lbs since May, gained over Christmas. So my goal is to:

Get to 150 by by Valentines day.
lindawell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
MEK
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MEK
Stats: 214/?/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2008
I'm with Punkin. I'm pretty much a failed low carber-so far. My goal is to get my body and mind to accept that I'm better off burning fat for fuel and not carbs. Making the transition is tough. However, I understand this is the way to go and I want to learn to be successful. I'm sick and tired of not seeing the benefits a lot of others experience because I won't see this through!
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I went off the rails at Christmas, so for this week between holidays I'm working at getting back into nutritional ketosis. Right now, I'm feeling bleary-eyed and miserable...you think I'd learn! Someone remind me of this, next Christmas?

Once I'm back to my new normal, I plan to start weight training 2x per week, and get back to walking 3x week (or more). My goal is to lose a minimum of 25 lbs. in the year, and be fit. I'm starting out at my lowest weight since high school, so any weight I lose at this point is progress.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I went off the rails at Christmas, so for this week between holidays I'm working at getting back into nutritional ketosis. Right now, I'm feeling bleary-eyed and miserable...you think I'd learn! Someone remind me of this, next Christmas?

Once I'm back to my new normal, I plan to start weight training 2x per week, and get back to walking 3x week (or more). My goal is to lose a minimum of 25 lbs. in the year, and be fit. I'm starting out at my lowest weight since high school, so any weight I lose at this point is progress.
i slid a little to just to please my partner,she looked miserable when i said no to roast pots, parsnips, carrots, xmas pud, brandy butter so i gave in as it was our xmas dinner yesterday, i figured once in while is not gonna harm me too much, however i tested my BG an hour later and it was 10.2, through the roof, the highest its been since i started logging 4 months ago, back on NK today
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
i slid a little to just to please my partner,she looked miserable when i said no to roast pots, parsnips, carrots, xmas pud, brandy butter so i gave in as it was our xmas dinner yesterday, i figured once in while is not gonna harm me too much, however i tested my BG an hour later and it was 10.2, through the roof, the highest its been since i started logging 4 months ago, back on NK today
Does your partner know what that meal did to your b.g.? It is important to be up front about the consequences for you and 10.2 (or 184) is very concerning. I do think this can be harmful and you should strive to never have your b.g. levels that elevated.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I was thinking the same thing Cathy.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote