Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Ketogenic Diet kills cancer! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/791448-ketogenic-diet-kills-cancer.html)

Myles 12-15-2012 04:55 AM

Ketogenic Diet kills cancer!

Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery - Health & Science - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

awesome video!

jillybean720 12-16-2012 05:39 AM

I've read about this before. I've actually seen articles/studies/personal experiences about ketogenic diets being successfully used to fight epilepsy (most common medical use), cancers, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, and a list of other ailments. I can't help but wonder if it's so powerful because, well, it's the way humans should be eating all along!

shmabby 12-16-2012 06:47 AM

thank you for the link
I was just diagnosed with breast cancer (I have type 2 diabetes and have been doing low carb on/off for 17+ years ago.

Will definately look at this.

cici52 12-16-2012 08:50 AM

Very interesting as I am at risk. Would be nice to skip this nasty disease.

shmabby 12-16-2012 09:14 AM

yes,
trust me on this one
better to avoid both diabetes AND cancer if you can

cici52 12-16-2012 09:27 AM

Sorry, Shmabby. Didn't read your post before posting or I would not have been so glib. Prayers sent for a complete recovery.

Abigale 12-16-2012 09:46 AM

Myles, thanks for the reminder of why I started eating low carb in 2008. Good link!

Bamboozled 12-16-2012 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your cancer Shmabby. I have actually heard so much about vegan diets for stopping the progress of cancer that I have decided to do that should I ever be stricken by the disease.

I have read recently that low carb diets were connected to a reduction in aging of the bodies cells. All very interesting.

shmabby 12-17-2012 07:02 AM

cici52
no problem, I agree with you.

Yes
I'm hearing vegan but I'm also hearing ketogenic

I suppose I could do vegan ketogenic and limit myself to broccoli and water.

What I REALLY want to know now,
I've alredy made the move to 100% grass fed beef, organic chicken, eggs blah blah blah

is:
if the dairy is organic can I still have my ( *%#)(* %)($ cup of coffee with some ()%#*)(%*#)(*%* 1/2 and 1/2

that is all

Bamboozled 12-17-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmabby (Post 16140116)
cici52
no problem, I agree with you.

Yes
I'm hearing vegan but I'm also hearing ketogenic

I suppose I could do vegan ketogenic and limit myself to broccoli and water.

What I REALLY want to know now,
I've alredy made the move to 100% grass fed beef, organic chicken, eggs blah blah blah

is:
if the dairy is organic can I still have my ( *%#)(* %)($ cup of coffee with some ()%#*)(%*#)(*%* 1/2 and 1/2

that is all

Honestly if you are consuming organic and naturally raised meat and eggs and dairy you are probably well started on beating this cancer. Perhaps cut out red meat and processed meat if you haven't already.

I wholeheartedly believe diet can stall or maybe even reverse cancer. I hope very much that either the keto or vegan diet works!! I have a feeling either one would be beneficial but to be honest have not done much research on the keto diet for cancer. I will look into this more and come back in a few days with what I have found.

If you feel like watching some documentaries there is Fork Over Knives which is about veganism (and is really interesting) and also Fat Head which is about the benefits of low carb.

Vegan keto would be insane!! I don't think I could ever do that.

There have also been promising studies done on eating RAW diets to stall cancer. There was a docu on that a few years back that put diabetics on a strict raw diet and almost all were off their meds after a month or two. Very interesting.

There is SO much out there to learn about, so many doctors that are not toeing the party line and are doing real research into alternative ways to treat disease. I'd say spend some time googling and figuring out which diet calls to you the most.

I wish you the best and I know you will come out of this just fine. :hugs:

Myles 12-17-2012 05:32 PM

they use sugar as a tracer for cancer, hopefully cutting out sugar works but im sure not a doctor, jsut a guy who can read

clackley 12-18-2012 06:35 AM

You probably would not be able to do a vegan/keto diet and some of the foods used in a vegan woe to up protein can be problematic (i.e. soy). Grass fed beef has a lot of great nutritional value and should not be dismissed.

The fact that sugar (glucose) has been long known by researchers to feed cancer is a clue. Like Miles said, a sugar solution is used to as an imaging method in pet scans to locate and assess cancers. It follows that one would want to keep b.g. levels as low as possible. So not just sugar but anything that converts to glucose.

jem51 12-28-2012 08:31 AM

Fabulous article, Myles.

After many years of vegan including raw, I believe that it is not a successful way to drive ca into long term remission.

I did see temporary success but most was not more than a year.

Initial success was probably due to removing large amts of glucose forming items from the diet....which may have fooled the ca temporarily.

My vote would be fat fast first then stay w/in limits for ketogenic.....Biggest problem w any dietary recovery is that you MUST be strict!!