Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Chicken Broth- 8 carbs/100 ml? Really?

Hi how do you guys track chicken broth?
I just logged it into ****** and its telling me 8 carbs/ 100 ml. I was counting it as free plus some fat. At 8 carbs per 100 ml, it just totally blew my carbs out of the water for today...
tablis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Are you using a prepared brand or making your own? Different products have different nutrition. If you're making your own, you know what's in it and if it's essentially carb-free. If you're using a packaged product, check that specific label for nutrition and ingredients. For example, I personally prefer the flavor of broth made using bouillon powder, which does have some carbs (though still not 8 per serving).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Are you using a prepared brand or making your own? Different products have different nutrition. If you're making your own, you know what's in it and if it's essentially carb-free. If you're using a packaged product, check that specific label for nutrition and ingredients. For example, I personally prefer the flavor of broth made using bouillon powder, which does have some carbs (though still not 8 per serving).
I make it myself. Its Chicken, water, some carrots, squash, celery and onion in big pieces so I can avoid them. I guess some of their carbs get into the water but what would be your estimate?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
I make it myself. Its Chicken, water, some carrots, squash, celery and onion in big pieces so I can avoid them. I guess some of their carbs get into the water but what would be your estimate?
Hi, Tablis. I also make my own broth, and put in some celery, carrot, and onion in big pieces and strain them out before eating the broth. I have been guessing that the amount of carbs added is trivial, because none of those things are natural "thickeners" in soup. Potato, on the other hand, tends to sort of dissolve, thus thickens sauces and soup; that might possibly be true for winter squash, also. If you are concerned about this, you could try just adding the lower carb veggies like celery and 1 onion to your soup. I honestly don't think the veggies add a whole lot of flavor, or at least find that if I cook the broth long enough (say, 12+ hours), it gets a lot of flavor even if I don't throw the veggies in and just add salt and some apple cider vinegar.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
A LOT of canned chicken broth *(My favorite College Inn - boo) has sugar in it. Its a superbummer, especially since it tweaks my blood sugar enough to not be a freebie, so make my own, I must!
brandilynn1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
A LOT of canned chicken broth *(My favorite College Inn - boo) has sugar in it. Its a superbummer, especially since it tweaks my blood sugar enough to not be a freebie, so make my own, I must!
Superbummer!!

Yes, I have found the tracking places use values for canned products, not homemade.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Hi there,

I make my own chicken broth--just bones and water made in the crockpot. I season to taste when I heat it up again. Sometimes salt/pepper, sometimes a fierce dash of curry powder. Anyhow, the online calorie counting website I use lists 1 cup as 25 calories, 4 g protein, no carbs and 2 g of fat. I was pretty shocked 2 years ago (when I first went low carb) at the ingredients used in some of the prepared broths. And while I do love me my salt, I like to be in control of how much is there...

Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all for the responses!