Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Chicken Broth- 8 carbs/100 ml? Really? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/791126-chicken-broth-8-carbs-100-ml-really.html)

tablis 12-10-2012 02:47 PM

Chicken Broth- 8 carbs/100 ml? Really?

Hi how do you guys track chicken broth?
I just logged it into ****** and its telling me 8 carbs/ 100 ml. I was counting it as free plus some fat. At 8 carbs per 100 ml, it just totally blew my carbs out of the water for today...

jillybean720 12-10-2012 02:57 PM

Are you using a prepared brand or making your own? Different products have different nutrition. If you're making your own, you know what's in it and if it's essentially carb-free. If you're using a packaged product, check that specific label for nutrition and ingredients. For example, I personally prefer the flavor of broth made using bouillon powder, which does have some carbs (though still not 8 per serving).

tablis 12-10-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 16128723)
Are you using a prepared brand or making your own? Different products have different nutrition. If you're making your own, you know what's in it and if it's essentially carb-free. If you're using a packaged product, check that specific label for nutrition and ingredients. For example, I personally prefer the flavor of broth made using bouillon powder, which does have some carbs (though still not 8 per serving).

I make it myself. Its Chicken, water, some carrots, squash, celery and onion in big pieces so I can avoid them. I guess some of their carbs get into the water but what would be your estimate?

svenskamae 12-10-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tablis (Post 16128730)
I make it myself. Its Chicken, water, some carrots, squash, celery and onion in big pieces so I can avoid them. I guess some of their carbs get into the water but what would be your estimate?

Hi, Tablis. I also make my own broth, and put in some celery, carrot, and onion in big pieces and strain them out before eating the broth. I have been guessing that the amount of carbs added is trivial, because none of those things are natural "thickeners" in soup. Potato, on the other hand, tends to sort of dissolve, thus thickens sauces and soup; that might possibly be true for winter squash, also. If you are concerned about this, you could try just adding the lower carb veggies like celery and 1 onion to your soup. I honestly don't think the veggies add a whole lot of flavor, or at least find that if I cook the broth long enough (say, 12+ hours), it gets a lot of flavor even if I don't throw the veggies in and just add salt and some apple cider vinegar.

brandilynn1313 12-10-2012 04:48 PM

A LOT of canned chicken broth *(My favorite College Inn - boo) has sugar in it. Its a superbummer, especially since it tweaks my blood sugar enough to not be a freebie, so make my own, I must!

drjlocarb 12-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 (Post 16128917)
A LOT of canned chicken broth *(My favorite College Inn - boo) has sugar in it. Its a superbummer, especially since it tweaks my blood sugar enough to not be a freebie, so make my own, I must!

Superbummer!!:lol:

Yes, I have found the tracking places use values for canned products, not homemade.

stepinthyme 12-10-2012 06:09 PM

Hi there,

I make my own chicken broth--just bones and water made in the crockpot. I season to taste when I heat it up again. Sometimes salt/pepper, sometimes a fierce dash of curry powder. Anyhow, the online calorie counting website I use lists 1 cup as 25 calories, 4 g protein, no carbs and 2 g of fat. I was pretty shocked 2 years ago (when I first went low carb) at the ingredients used in some of the prepared broths. And while I do love me my salt, I like to be in control of how much is there...

Hope that helps!

tablis 12-11-2012 06:27 AM

Thanks all for the responses!