Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Indian food NK?

Hi Guys,

My dad is in town and wants me to pick up indian food for dinner and come over tonight. Problem is i'm on day 5 or 6 of NK and refuse to stray even just a little bit, and prefer not to take any chances. Is anyone familiar with it in terms of any NK options?

This is the place, but they dont have any nutritional information posted - Welcome To CLAY OVEN RESTAURANTS

Or - should i just pick up for my family and eat my own food... i have steak and cream cheese and sour cream in my lunch bag at work here...or could stop at a grocery store..
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
The best option is to bring your own NK food and not derail your good start.

if not,the only items that are LC are the tandoori dishes.then bring your own cream cheese,sour cream etc.
but watch out for any hidden marinades and sauces as they contain hidden carbs.Although butter chicken and saag paneer sounds NK,the sauces could contain milk,thickeners,yogurt,cashew pastes,condensed milk etc.tomaato purees may have sugar.

I also saw a tandoori salad if you are eating veggies.you will be on your own computing the ratios.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I would stay strictly NK and not risk the restaurant food. Or make a counter-proposal of some LC type take out.

In this exact situation I'd try to go with BBQ. I would eat as close to zero protein as possible until dinner with them. Have the sauce put on the side. Then pig out on fatty sausage, beef and pork goodness. Eat maybe some of the jalapenos. No rolls or other junk food side items so maybe get extra meat.

You might go over on your protein for the day and you'll almost certainly be high on calories but your carbs will still be very low.

Otherwise, I'd just have something safe for me while they ate whatever they wanted.

Last edited by reddarin; 12-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: typo
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Depending on how you planned your day menu-wise, even with the BBQ you could stay completely within the bounds of NK.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Well, it sounds like my sister and dad want the indian, so i don't want to stir the pot, also there are no bbq joints anywhere near my dad's place - but i'm drooling right now thinking about it. I'm also not really comfortable asking all the ingredients in their stuff or what is or isn't in it, so im going to just have my own steak and guac/sourcream and maybe get a salad or somethin Thx for the great tips tho!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

If they are not onboard with your LC/NK life you can white lie your way through it. Tell them you had some of your co-worker's Indian food they'd brought for lunch and it really put you off on Indian food for a while at least.

Love the avatar. I didn't get to watch very many episodes of that show that I cannot remember the name of off hand but it was hysterically funny.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I often suggest going to an Indian restaurant if I have to go out to eat with friends, since some kind of Tandoori meat fits reasonably well into my plan, so long as I keep my protein at a low level for other meals over the course of the day.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
If they are not onboard with your LC/NK life you can white lie your way through it. Tell them you had some of your co-worker's Indian food they'd brought for lunch and it really put you off on Indian food for a while at least.

Love the avatar. I didn't get to watch very many episodes of that show that I cannot remember the name of off hand but it was hysterically funny.
Curb your enthusiasm Created by the man in the picture - Larry David, who was also the creator of Seinfeld.

svenskamae - that would work well before i attempted this NK business where im really watching my protein. Before NK i would eat whatever and how much ever protein i wanted. It's much more difficult now.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manuela_w
Stats: 262/240/220
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2012
Prior to NK, I loooooved indian food. Now I am totally clueless as to what I'd eat at an indian restaurant. Tandoori chicken? Kinda sad I cannot ever eat it again. I suppose the sauces/gravies might be okay on their own, depending on the ingredients. A lot of them are very fatty and creamy.
manuela_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

i am pretty sure its just like chicken marinated in yogurt and spices and cooked in a tandoor, i think you could eat it...just watch of protein
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Indian cooking is my specialty. Most sauces are traditionally thickened with the spices as opposed to flour, though it is not unheard of to dredge meat in flour for browning. I would hope your meal is cooked to order as opposed to having great pots of stuff hanging around in the kitchen. If so, you can just ask them to omit any flour or sugar (a very small amount of sugar may be added to balance bitter or hot) when preparing. So you then have a sauce that consists of several tsps of various spices (figure 4-6 total carbs from spices alone per portion), fat, and vegetables (at least onion/garlic and likely tomatoes cooked down in addition to any vegetables and meat that you see. So I would not be as concerned with the protein which you can see and calculate as with the carbs that you cannot be sure of. If I were eating out, I would order Shrimp or Pork Vindaloo and ask them to hold any sugar or flour from the preparation. Then figure about 15 carbs per serving without any accompaniment. Curries probably have yogurt and/or coconut.

Actually, kebobs are pretty strait forward - might be marinated in something like soy sauce if meat chunks.

Last edited by cici52; 12-05-2012 at 01:20 PM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Curb your enthusiasm Created by the man in the picture - Larry David, who was also the creator of Seinfeld.
That's it! I think what shocked me most was that the show did such an excellent job of capturing the spirit of what made Seinfeld so dang funny. Even with Larry David being central to the new project that was no small thing. They have failed abysmally to do it with the Friends clones.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Indian cooking is my specialty. Most sauces are traditionally thickened with the spices as opposed to flour, though it is not unheard of to dredge meat in flour for browning. I would hope your meal is cooked to order as opposed to having great pots of stuff hanging around in the kitchen. If so, you can just ask them to omit any flour or sugar (a very small amount of sugar may be added to balance bitter or hot) when preparing. So you then have a sauce that consists of several tsps of various spices (figure 4-6 total carbs from spices alone per portion), fat, and vegetables (at least onion/garlic and likely tomatoes cooked down in addition to any vegetables and meat that you see. So I would not be as concerned with the protein which you can see and calculate as with the carbs that you cannot be sure of. If I were eating out, I would order Shrimp or Pork Vindaloo and ask them to hold any sugar or flour from the preparation. Then figure about 15 carbs per serving without any accompaniment. Curries probably have yogurt and/or coconut.

Actually, kebobs are pretty strait forward - might be marinated in something like soy sauce if meat chunks.
Great post Cici, thanks! Good to know that this category is safe with a little precaution.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I lived in India for 2.5 years and love Indian food...even took cooking classes while there. The Tandoori chicken would be the safest bet, but by now you are already home, so what did you do.

Their way of cooking often (as Cici said) uses flours for dredging meats and they do use quite a bit of sugar in everything...especially their yummy teas!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

we had the eggplant, tomato, onion, garlic dish which they said had no sugar and was gluten free, the palak paneer, and the butter chicken. I had some of each but not much, plus i had a tiny bit of my steak. I overate and im sad. Tmrws a new day. Doubt i went much carbs or protein over tho, no heartburn for me is usually a sign, i duno, bleh
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Overeating is no problem if you didn't overcarb. It was an occasion so no worries!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Overeating is no problem if you didn't overcarb. It was an occasion so no worries!
was .3 again on the BK this morning meter. If i overate carbs...would i get no readinG?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Myles I do not know. The blood ketone measuring is from the athlete oriented Performance book and I haven't read it.

How much you overeat is important. Phinney said that back in the 70's he had a ketone analyzer that was very accurate that worked by burning the gasses in your breath. He said they could tell on Tuesday if a patient had had a pizza on Saturday.

He also said that a one meal break in NK would probably only require a 3 to 5 day re-adaptation while a larger break from NK would likely result in a full readaptation being necessary.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Myles, here is Phinney talking about carbs and regaining NK:

[edit: Well, I want it to show in the thread and apparently that isn't possible if it has the flag for what time to start playback.

It is at 4:40.[/edit]

Last edited by reddarin; 12-06-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

what's interesting is that he says when one gets to maintenance…they require more fat from diet…because there is less on the body to burn….which logically makes one think…well if you eat less fat in your diet…your body will burn more of your stored fat…which is what we always thought atkins was… so thats why i am REALLY confused now. Especially with this NK business

also..god damn that interviewer is annoying, i have a hard time watching these because he keeps interrupting and its super irritating.

Last edited by Myles; 12-06-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

lol
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

I thought that was very interesting too.

It must be a little more complicated than that or NK would have a long term induction with macros that look something like 15/80/5 to maximize body fat burning. But he clearly states (elsewhere) that NK has a fat macro of 65 to 85%.

Good stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I lived in India for 2.5 years and love Indian food...even took cooking classes while there. The Tandoori chicken would be the safest bet, but by now you are already home, so what did you do.

Their way of cooking often (as Cici said) uses flours for dredging meats and they do use quite a bit of sugar in everything...especially their yummy teas!!!!
Interesting that you found widespread use of sugar in Indian food. I live near a very big Asian grocery store, and the only foods that I can buy there--other than fresh vegetables and meat and eggs--are some of the frozen Indian meals, because the Japanese/Chinese/Korean stuff all has added sugar as one of the first 3 ingreadients and the Indian stuff doesn't. Of course I avoid the dishes with potatoes and garbanzos, etc., but the frozen or vaccuum packed meals from SWAD brand (microcurry) have no or very little sugar. The same is true for other brands of Indian food at that store.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Actually, I wish the interviewer had questioned him a little more closely about his statement regarding x% of fat coming from body fat stores. The way he left it means that you must be very, very accurate with your caloric expenditure to have any hopes of being successful on LC let alone NK.

Here is what I think he is saying:

This is more about the appetite suppression that ketogenic diets typically produce. If you are not hungry but have only eaten 1500 cals for the day the balance of calories must be from body fat stores.

Clearly he states in his example that the person is eating the required amount of protein because he says the diet would appear to be protein heavy and throws out a percentage that gives it that appearance.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
what's interesting is that he says when one gets to maintenance…they require more fat from diet…because there is less on the body to burn….which logically makes one think…well if you eat less fat in your diet…your body will burn more of your stored fat…which is what we always thought atkins was… so thats why i am REALLY confused now. Especially with this NK business
This is in the Performance book. They specifically do not advice any particular macronutrient ratios. Protein and carbs are set at gram levels, fat fills in the rest of the calories and if you're trying to lose they advice to eat at a lower level of fat--protein and carbs always stay the same. It makes sense that protein and carbs dictate ketosis and once you are in ketosis body fat is always available to fill in the fat portion of your energy needs.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 12-06-2012 at 01:27 PM..
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Interesting that you found widespread use of sugar in Indian food. I live near a very big Asian grocery store, and the only foods that I can buy there--other than fresh vegetables and meat and eggs--are some of the frozen Indian meals, because the Japanese/Chinese/Korean stuff all has added sugar as one of the first 3 ingreadients and the Indian stuff doesn't. Of course I avoid the dishes with potatoes and garbanzos, etc., but the frozen or vaccuum packed meals from SWAD brand (microcurry) have no or very little sugar. The same is true for other brands of Indian food at that store.
Sven, that IS very interesting.

I think that Indian foods at the store would be different from living in India, and taking cooking classes from the people that lived there all their lives and wouldn't dream of using anything frozen or "prepared"(they even make their own spices and blends). Everything is fresh, and oh boy do they love their sugar!!!! In everything they made! I have seen the indian prepared curries, seasonings, etc. in jars to add to your own meat in the local stores where I live and the sugar in them is high. But we don't have Asian stores, just mainstream grocery stores, so I assume you got some good stuff! Lucky you!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
we had the eggplant, tomato, onion, garlic dish which they said had no sugar and was gluten free, the palak paneer, and the butter chicken. I had some of each but not much, plus i had a tiny bit of my steak. I overate and im sad. Tmrws a new day. Doubt i went much carbs or protein over tho, no heartburn for me is usually a sign, i duno, bleh
That all sounds wonderful!!!!! You did well. Don't worry about the readings for a while. Takes weeks for some to get into NK. I've been in and out and I'm into month #4!!!! Hang in there. I was "back in" this morning with the lowest possible reading of .5. It's frustrating, but I'm gauging it all on how do I feel? How do my clothes fit? How am I sleeping? How is my emotional state (other than frustration)...do I have lots of highs and lows? Many report at metallic taste in their mouths, but I have never experienced that even with my 1.0 and above that once reading. I think there are some things that some of us may not experience. Others seem to get high readings right off and they stay really high. I don't know that we've figured out why...and why NOT for some of us.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

you guys all rock.

I wish we were all the same (ONLY IN TERMS OF WHAT WE HAD TO DO TO GET INTO NK) and that there was a specific rule set of "do this exactly and you're good to go" so that this was less of an experiment...oh well
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Amen!
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote