Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Water Intake? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/790511-water-intake.html)

mizzcase 12-02-2012 10:03 AM

Water Intake?

Anybody find they don't need to drink as much water with NK? When I was just regular LCing (lots of protein, upwards of 120g), I could NOT get enough water all day long. Sometimes I'd drink upwards of 4L a day.

When I starting eating 75-85% fat, I had a day where I was thirstier than normal, but I am no longer thirsty at all. I mean, I GAG sometimes when I take a sip of water.

I'm really not drinking much water at all, but I don't feel thirsty or dehydrated.

Anybody else go through the same thing?

tablis 12-02-2012 10:13 AM

I'm also not thirsty but today I was feeling a little dizzy/wierd so I made myself drink a ton....

reddarin 12-02-2012 11:34 AM

Yes!! Buffy and I were talking about that in October's thread (I think).

I'd remarked at how strange it was that I could leave the house without a bottle of water in hand - because I'd done it that day by accident and was so surprised. I never would have forgotten pre-LC. In fact, I used to keep a case of water in the truck at all times just to make sure I always had some on hand.

I intentionally reduced my water intake to see how little I could drink without being thirsty. The results were astounding to me. I could get away with very little water!

I got low enough that I started getting calf and foot cramps so I pushed it up again but still it was pretty amazing. I think one day I only had one bottle of water all day.

Now, I do drink a lot of diet soda pop but that has been a constant ever since I started LC (not so much before LC). I mean, I don't think I increased the soda to make up for the decrease in water when I did that.

Very strange!

:)

reddarin 12-02-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tablis (Post 16112494)
I'm also not thirsty but today I was feeling a little dizzy/wierd so I made myself drink a ton....

Dash some salt on your palm and eat it tablis! Then make a mug of broth and drink that.

Dizzy weird is usually sodium (and other minerals) deficiency.

reddarin 12-02-2012 11:36 AM

Take care to stay hydrated. You are an active person aside from what just living requires in the way of hydration.

tablis 12-02-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16112645)
Dash some salt on your palm and eat it tablis! Then make a mug of broth and drink that.

Dizzy weird is usually sodium (and other minerals) deficiency.

thanks!

dazygyrl 12-02-2012 04:24 PM

does this mean i don't *have* to force myself to drink a certain amount each day?? how i hate water sometimes. :o

mizzcase 12-02-2012 04:53 PM

I hope not dazygyrl, because I am only drinking when I feel thirsty now!

shelley 12-02-2012 05:18 PM

I used to drink 12-14 glasses a day on the nonfat/body for life weight lifting plan. I was 20# lighter then than now, but I was not healthy.

Now I drink 8 glasses or more a day. I have non BPA bottles that I fill with filtered mineral water (well, correct that...my DH does it for me every night) and I make sure they are empty after dinnertime. I have my BPC with 3 cups, make a wonderful herbal tea with 4 cups, so I only have 1 "required" cup left and use that with dinner to take PM vitamins.

Before I cared about anything with weight (since I was underweight), I never had water. I never had tea or coffee. I never had soft drinks. I consumed NO liquids at all. I still find that hard to imagine, but it's true.

svenskamae 12-06-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 16113278)
Before I cared about anything with weight (since I was underweight), I never had water. I never had tea or coffee. I never had soft drinks. I consumed NO liquids at all. I still find that hard to imagine, but it's true.

Perhaps, like a koala bear, you were getting water from vegetable sources--in your case, fruits and vegetables rather than eucalyptus leaves. :D

Myles 12-06-2012 05:44 PM

i've definitely found that since i've reduced protein and increased fat i am craving less water. I believe i may have even upped the salt. With higher protein before tho i was always thirsty, worried i had the BEETUSS (diabetes) but now i am not really thirsty much!