Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Does NK blunt caffeine withdrawl?

Every few months, on a weekend, I will get a headache and feel lethargic only to realize that I have forgotten to drink my morning bolus of caffeine.

Now I have a pretty low-brow coffee habit. Two tablespoons of Taster's Choice instant coffee dissolved in hot water straight out of the tap. Still that is quite a dose of caffeine and if I get it even 4 hours late, my body will punish me.

On days when I forget, I'll drink as soon as I remember, but it actually does little to blunt the effects of withdrawl.

Today is the first time I've forgotten to drink my morning coffee while I have been in NK. I did not figure out what had happened until 2:30 PM. The lethargy was quite noticeable, but I had only a very minor headache. Normally by noon I have such a massive headache that I realize what I have forgotten. But not today.

Has anyone else felt their caffeine habit ease while in ketosis?

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Every few months, on a weekend, I will get a headache and feel lethargic only to realize that I have forgotten to drink my morning bolus of caffeine.

Now I have a pretty low-brow coffee habit. Two tablespoons of Taster's Choice instant coffee dissolved in hot water straight out of the tap. Still that is quite a dose of caffeine and if I get it even 4 hours late, my body will punish me.

On days when I forget, I'll drink as soon as I remember, but it actually does little to blunt the effects of withdrawl.

Today is the first time I've forgotten to drink my morning coffee while I have been in NK. I did not figure out what had happened until 2:30 PM. The lethargy was quite noticeable, but I had only a very minor headache. Normally by noon I have such a massive headache that I realize what I have forgotten. But not today.

Has anyone else felt their caffeine habit ease while in ketosis?

--
Phillip
I can't answer this as I would NEVER start my day without coffee. It's my routine, how I start every day... A cup of coffee and catching up on the computer before going to work. My first cup is also my Coconut Oil transport (I don't do CO for calories, but more for hopeful other health effects). I then drink coffee at work up until at least 11 am.

I have had the withdrawal effects in the distant past though, usually if I was running out early and no time for coffee or I was just out of coffee. I found a caffeinated diet soda took care of the headache pretty quickly. Whether that headache would have been less if I were in NK, not sure. I wouldn't be surprised though. I generally feel so much better in NK anyway.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
hey Guys! Does anyone know how quickly our food consumption affects our ketone levels? Is it soon after digestion? Or a day or two later? I'm trying to figure out why one day my ketones are at 2.4, but the next day they are at 1.4. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they have stayed w/in a good range, but I would like to pin point what raises my ketones and what lowers them. Thanks for any insight!
sasonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
hey Guys! Does anyone know how quickly our food consumption affects our ketone levels? Is it soon after digestion? Or a day or two later? I'm trying to figure out why one day my ketones are at 2.4, but the next day they are at 1.4. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they have stayed w/in a good range, but I would like to pin point what raises my ketones and what lowers them. Thanks for any insight!
hmmm...somehow I posted this in the wrong thread...will repost
sasonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Hi Sophie,

I think it is hard to predict. It should depend on the food to some extent, but if your body is burning your stored fat, that would play a role as well. You can see from Jimmy Moore's so-called "N=1" experiment that when you have lots of stored fat (like he did) your blood ketone levels can really go high late in the day. (I think he has broken 6 mM on many occasions.)

I think medium chain length trigycerides (MCTs) will tend to boost your BHB levels (betahydroxybuterate -- the "ketone" that blood ketone meters measure) within a few hours. I guess because your liver can't do much else with them.

I have noticed a feeling of queasiness when my BK levels are above 4 mM. I think I am see this on the afternoons of days after a "StrongLifts" workout. But there is another thread I should discuss that in.

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote