Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Bullet Proof Coffee (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/790457-bullet-proof-coffee.html)

tablis 12-01-2012 10:25 AM

Bullet Proof Coffee

Just starting to get into BPC and I think it helps me a lot. There is a lot of talk about it elsewhere on the forums and some mention of it on the giant monthly threads but I thought I'd mention it here for the newbies in case they don't find it.

Its just coffee that you can add you CO or MCT oil in. I find it to be very filling, and it gives me tons of energy. Additionally its another way to add CO to the day which can be hard for me bc I can't eat CO plain yet. I like to add a splash of vanilla.

Today I was feeling a little under the weather, cold coming on... and for some reason being sick always makes me crave carbs.. I just made myself a hot cocoa version of BPC and it really picked me up!

mizzcase 12-01-2012 10:53 AM

Also can add unsalted butter-- I know the paleo community loves to add Kerrygold to their coffee.

reddarin 12-01-2012 12:04 PM

Yeah, you have to add CO or MCT *and* butter to the coffee for it to become BPC.

:)

tablis 12-01-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16110996)
Yeah, you have to add CO or MCT *and* butter to the coffee for it to become BPC.

gotcha... didn't realize so I guess this is semi BPC,
butter sounds yummy- i've been off dairy for a long time and not sure if I should experiment with that until I get into a good NK groove

reddarin 12-01-2012 12:33 PM

lol! Does it sound good??? In coffee?!? I've been trying to steel myself to try it for months now but so far I haven't worked up the courage.

It probably is delicious though. I do like buttery flavored stuff and I'm already acclimated to oily coffee because of the CO.

Dairy is okay with NK as far as I know as long as it is LC like HWC.

If you try BPC let us know what you think.

brandilynn1313 12-01-2012 12:38 PM

I always clarify my butter, and put the clarified butter in, so sometimes folks (tablis?) who have milk protein issues - if you clarify the butter it doesnt has the same effect.

But as for the CO and butter in the coffee, after I whisk it up with the immersion blender, it just is tasty, like a whipped coffee.

Lyric's Mom 12-01-2012 12:43 PM

Agree with Brandilynn. Immersion blender makes into a delicious, frothy, whipped coffee drink. Gotta add the grassfed Kerrygold unsalted though! (Or maybe the clarified works too). I add a tablespoon and a half each of the butter & CO and whip it up. It is SO deelish and satisfying/satiating--especially soothing on a cold, rainy day!

reddarin 12-01-2012 12:51 PM

I'm pretty much a wal-mart zombie. Who sells Kerrygold? Albertsons? Kroger?

brandilynn1313 12-01-2012 12:57 PM

our walmart now has salted Kerrygold! But I can only find the unsalted at Publix.

NKSL55 12-01-2012 01:00 PM

Hi Tablis,

And if you want to risk MCT, but are concerned about the health effects of consuming such a refined substance, you can check out the bulletproof executive's web site. He is not 100% aligned with the paleo movement, but has come to many of the same conclusions and probably shares at least some of your concerns. He actually sells, or at least sponsors, a type of MCT.

He may have even invented the term "bulletproof coffee".

Hope you feel well soon.

--
Phillip

Lyric's Mom 12-01-2012 01:04 PM

The Nugget sells unsalted Kerrygold. Don't know if you have that store in your area?

reddarin 12-01-2012 01:13 PM

Dang, the WMs in this area do not carry the KG butter. I'll keep checking though since some of them have it - thanks!

Nah, no Nugget stores in Texas as far as I know.

cici52 12-01-2012 01:14 PM

I love it but go the cheap route. No special coffee or grassfed butter. Actually love the slight saltiness of salted butter in it along with the mild sweetness of the CO.

NKSL55 12-01-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16111153)
Dang, the WMs in this area do not carry the KG butter. I'll keep checking though since some of them have it - thanks!

Nah, no Nugget stores in Texas as far as I know.

Amazon sell's it. (Well, it is actually iGourmet.) $20 shipping though...

--
Phillip

reddarin 12-01-2012 01:16 PM

I have considered using the regular salted butter I have on hand. Maybe I will risk a cup to see how it taste.

brandilynn1313 12-01-2012 01:18 PM

Red, our WM *just* started carrying it. I mean, within the last month, so it might be on its way!

I know some folks put pinches of salt in coffee to tamp down the acidity - salty butter might just do the same!

reddarin 12-01-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKSL55 (Post 16111163)
Amazon sell's it. (Well, it is actually iGourmet.) $20 shipping though...

--
Phillip

Really? Doesn't it need to be kept refrigerated? heh on the shipping - I know I can find it around here, or at least some other grassfed unsalted brand, before throwing 20 bucks at shipping lol.

mizzcase 12-01-2012 01:24 PM

red, HEB maybe?

reddarin 12-01-2012 01:36 PM

I'm not sure there is an HEB nearby. I have seen their ad so I know they are in the metroplex.

I bet Tom Thumb carries it. Or even Albertsons or the Signature Kroger. I think there is one of those Krogers over off of Heritage Trace and that is an upscale area.

I'm not big on organic stuff but I wish there was a Sprouts out this way. They carry LC beer :)

portcop01 12-01-2012 01:49 PM

Trader joe carries it,,,

Lyric's Mom 12-01-2012 02:00 PM

Check out the previous thread or google BPC for the science behind it. It's real important to have the grassfed butter because it has properties in it that are essential to get the health benefits. You of course can use whatever kind of butter you want but for all the extra calories, younger as well as reap all the benefits from it that you can. :)

Lyric's Mom 12-01-2012 02:01 PM

Meant to say "might as well"...dang phone! lol

reddarin 12-01-2012 02:05 PM

lol

reddarin 12-01-2012 02:05 PM

No Trader Joes around here that I know of Becky :)

tablis 12-02-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKSL55 (Post 16111124)
Hi Tablis,

And if you want to risk MCT, but are concerned about the health effects of consuming such a refined substance, you can check out the bulletproof executive's web site. He is not 100% aligned with the paleo movement, but has come to many of the same conclusions and probably shares at least some of your concerns. He actually sells, or at least sponsors, a type of MCT.

He may have even invented the term "bulletproof coffee".

Hope you feel well soon.

--
Phillip

THANKS!
Does anyone know what bulletproof coffee is supposed to mean? the bulletproof part?

Honora 12-02-2012 05:46 AM

Out of Lurkdom, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both sell Kerrygold for $2.99. Crazy thing is that the supermarkets (Giant and Safeway) both sell it for $4.99. I think LC Americans will bring Ireland out of recession-- their cows most be working overtime. I have come a long way on LCHF but the idea of bulletproof coffee still makes me gag. I take shots of MCT oil and I love the fact that it has no taste.

mom2zeke 12-02-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tablis (Post 16111889)
THANKS!
Does anyone know what bulletproof coffee is supposed to mean? the bulletproof part?

It's from the Bulletproof Executive site--hence the name:).

reddarin 12-02-2012 10:46 AM

Ah, there is an imported butter product, cannot recall the name off hand, at my local Wal-Mart(s) and it has pictures of cows grazing on grass but I've looked the package over carefully and as far as I can tell it is not butter from grassfed stock.

SharonB61 12-02-2012 12:45 PM

I start every day with 2 cups of BPC. Per cup I use 1tbsp Kerrygold unsalted grassfed butter, 1tbsp CO and 8oz of strong coffee. Perfect way to start the day!!!

shelley 12-02-2012 01:29 PM

I just checked out the BPC recipe/website...very interesting. I'm going to try some with the immersion blender for "jollies". ha ha I have some pastured organic butter (says it's only made 3 months out of the year with cows pasturing on grass, so I assume it's good to go).

I am going to drive 2.5 hours to the next state on Tuesday to go to a Trader Joe's! I think Kristn said they have the best coconut cream...anything else I should get besides Kerrygold butter and coconut cream anyone????