Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
robbelkk, I hardly ever use butter in my bulletproof coffee. I can find kerrygold locally, but would rather use coconut oil and hwc or almond milk and coconut oil. I save the butter for cooking eggs and such.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I was wondering about adding eggs. I've noticed a reference to egg coffee in the Hitchcock film, Suspicion. Well apparently the Norwegians had added a egg to sort of gather up the grounds. I am guessing that because Igrid Bergman was Scandinavian. That's not an entirely logical conclusion, I realize, because it was probably just in the script. So I googled some and found that there is a Vietnamese egg coffee but sounded too sugary for me. I am intrigued with your concoction, cpresson, but I'll probably do just one egg to start, and leave out the choco for now. Sounds heavenly, though.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Organic Valley and Kalona SuperNaturals grass fed and cultured salt free butters are good.
Land o Lakes is also good, and less expensive. I think they do salt free. I think it kind of depends on where you live.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Forgot to mention I added a packet of Splenda & blended until frothy. Good stuff!
cpresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Suspicion is one of my favorite movies, but I love just about anything with Ingrid Bergman.

I haven't tried adding an egg to my bulletproof coffee, I'm afraid it will cook up like egg drop soup.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
I blended the eggs first, then added the hot coffee (and everything else) while it was still blending. It worked well & I ended up with a nice frothy layer on top.
cpresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
I bought my first KG butter yesterday! It is so good! It taste like the butter I remember, having as a child, my mother made from our own cream! I bought it at Costco. Costco also carries CO here too and at a great price! I only put CO in my coffee. Don't mind the oil slick! I pop my cup in the dishwasher and it cleans up great!
May
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I am so lucky living in N.Z. as all our meat is grass fed,all our dairy from grass fed herds and hormones etc are illegal in animal and poultry for human consumption.It is an LC paradise in some ways
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
if I can get some of the benefits of the BPC using lower quality products I suppose it is still a step in the right direction?
I think it is. I got the grassfed, organic butter when I first started making BPC, but it is pricey. Next time I bought a good quality, unsalted butter ($2.75/lb.) and have been using it ever since. I know the purists have their reasons for using grassfed, but I'm not convinced it makes that much difference.

My biggest goal in drinking BPC was cutting back on hwc, (having 5-6 TB/day seemed to slow down my weight loss) and I've nearly cut it out of my diet for now. Since I love coffee, I had to find a replacement. At different times, I've made BPC using coconut oil, coconut milk and coconut cream ; all 3 are good in their own way. Coconut milk has the most carbs, so take that in consideration (and read the label - some brands have more sugar than others).
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I haven't tried adding an egg to my bulletproof coffee, I'm afraid it will cook up like egg drop soup.
I understand...I was really hesitant to try it, but the egg just goes frothy. You do the egg and sweetener mixture first, then add coffee. I found this "recipe" online:

5 oz hot coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz. sugr-free Torani
1 or 2 eggs (or 1 egg plus 1 egg white)
1/2 cup boiling water

Put coffee in a large mug. Put next 3 ingredients to a blender and mix; with blender running, pour boiling water in and run for about 30 seconds until the whole thing has a nice froth. Finally, pour mixture into mug with the coffee.

Voila!

Last edited by MerryKate; 04-12-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
I'm open minded to a lot of things and would like to try this but I don't like the bitter taste of coffee. Maybe if I could add some vanilla that would be fine.

The question I have is how well does your body respond to the caffeine in coffee? I've read a lot where it says to avoid coffee because of caffeine (stalls...etc.) and NOW I see everyone drinking this bullet proof version of the coffee.

Any thoughts?
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
I'm open minded to a lot of things and would like to try this but I don't like the bitter taste of coffee. Maybe if I could add some vanilla that would be fine.

The question I have is how well does your body respond to the caffeine in coffee? I've read a lot where it says to avoid coffee because of caffeine (stalls...etc.) and NOW I see everyone drinking this bullet proof version of the coffee.

Any thoughts?
I find that I can't handle the caffeine in coffee (various health related reasons, but one of which WAS having it stall me a bit) but I CAN drink black tea which only has a fraction of the caffeine per cup If you don't enjoy the bitter taste of coffee and are worried about the high level of caffeine, maybe you can try a really good quality black tea? I enjoy Republic of Tea's flavored varieties the most, but anything you personally like would work. Bulletproof Tea is more my style!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
tea is my hero lol! Sometimes I'll have a sip or two of some tea with splenda...the last time I did this I was jumping off the walls (caffeine). BUT sometimes I need a little caffeine as a pick me up especially traveling often. I'll look into this bulletproof tea. What do you put in yours?
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
I'm sensitive to Salicylates which means I can't drink caffeinated coffee, I do bulletproof decaf
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
tea is my hero lol! Sometimes I'll have a sip or two of some tea with splenda...the last time I did this I was jumping off the walls (caffeine). BUT sometimes I need a little caffeine as a pick me up especially traveling often. I'll look into this bulletproof tea. What do you put in yours?
LOL wow, that sounds like my SO when they drink coffee You can also opt to use some of the herbal teas too if you'd rather, since those aren't caffeinated

Whenever I make mine I wind up putting in 1/2T of EVCO and 2T of HWC into each cup, along with a little bit of one of the SF syrups I have. I should probably try and cut back on the dairy a little bit, but I love the cream Tastes really good though, and is super filling for me! Oftentimes that's my breakfast and I'm satisfied til lunch
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I am so lucky living in N.Z. as all our meat is grass fed,all our dairy from grass fed herds and hormones etc are illegal in animal and poultry for human consumption.It is an LC paradise in some ways
I need to move there
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what kind of eggs do you use for you BPC? When adding the hot water, does it cook the eggs or are they still raw? I stopped eating raw eggs since we are told we can salmonella from them...and I love eggnog!! I really would like this for my breakfast!
May
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
May, google 'homogenized eggs'. You can buy them at the store in some areas or you can do it at home with fresh eggs.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I find that I can't handle the caffeine in coffee (but I CAN drink black tea which only has a fraction of the caffeine per cup
FWIW, I also make bulletproof tea, My favorite is a decaf vanilla hazelnut tea from Yogi teas. I like to think it's what Harry Potter's hot butterbeer tastes like. The original idea of bulletproof coffee is a one-two punch of energy, but for those of us on NK, getting the extra fat in is what counts, and the CO provides a nice energy shot on its own.

Last edited by MerryKate; 04-14-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Darin..will check my local store for the eggs!
May
Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:

Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat except I don't like coffee OR tea... I'd give it a try anyway, but I don't want to waste money on a coffeemaker only to never use it.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
I have been drinking this for a week now....I lost two pounds from doing this I think! I am currently doing intermittent fasting so on my fasting days this is all I get until diner which is pretty light. I'm lovin it. I use 16 oz. coffe, 1 T organic virgin coconut oil, 1 T kerrygold unsalted butter and a few drops of nunaturals. It is probably a mental thing with the not eating part. Hunger is not an emergency . I even do this on my non fasting days and then I don't eat for 6 hours after that. I think it is working!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Summeranne..your avi made me laugh out loud! I'm with ya there :/
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

I had my first cup of coffee with hwc, co, and KG butter! I used my new blender and made a collar for my mug, like was suggested here on the forum...no mess!! Was super delish!!
May
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
FWIW, I also make bulletproof tea, My favorite is a decaf vanilla hazelnut tea from Yogi teas. I like to think it's what Harry Potter's hot butterbeer tastes like. The original idea of bulletproof coffee is a one-two punch of energy, but for those of us on NK, getting the extra fat in is what counts, and the CO provides a nice energy shot on its own.
That sounds delicious! I'll have to check it out... I've never had any of the more palatable Yogi teas, just the medicinal-type ones for specific health concerns. I do love vanilla hazelnut though so I'm sure I'll love that one!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

the vanilla hazelnet is on my shopping list now
Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Aarrrggg! I cannot make this without repainting my kitchen!!

I've tried a stick mixer and I've tried a bullet type mixer, both times I've made a huge mess

Help!?
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post

I've tried a stick mixer and I've tried a bullet type mixer, both times I've made a huge mess

Help!?
I had the same thing happen with the stick mixer. What a mess!
I use my magic bullet. It doesn't make a mess other than it leaks through the bottom sometimes.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

I've ordered a frother, but meantime I am just melting the CO and a bit of butter in the bottom of my coffee cup in the microwave. Then I just make coffee my ususal way, pouring boiling water through the coffee in my one cup filter. (No need to buy a coffee maker, Summer.) No mess. It's not froth but a little stir seems to mix things very well. Good enough for me. Love the switch from my small dash of half and half. But I'll tick to half and half when I have coffee in coffee shops.

I've ordered some hazelnut tea. The stores I frequent have yogi teas but not that particular kind. I hope I like it, cause I ordered a good quantity. Should go well in Christmas stockings, eh?

Last edited by Patience; 04-18-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post

Help!?
Deb, did you try that coffee can lid tip that Dottie posted? Cut a slit in the lid and use the stick blender through the slit with the lid sitting down on the cup?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote