Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Just for Trader Joe's? That length trip just cost me close to $80 in fuel for Thanksgiving visit. Makes for an expensive shopping trip.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I just checked out the BPC recipe/website...very interesting. I'm going to try some with the immersion blender for "jollies". ha ha I have some pastured organic butter (says it's only made 3 months out of the year with cows pasturing on grass, so I assume it's good to go).

I am going to drive 2.5 hours to the next state on Tuesday to go to a Trader Joe's! I think Kristn said they have the best coconut cream...anything else I should get besides Kerrygold butter and coconut cream anyone????
I think someone else recommended the coconut cream, I haven't tried it. We buy Kerrygold butter, cheeses (they have a great price on my favorite--mascarpone!), olive oil, nuts, dark chocolate...They also have grass-fed beef, but we buy yearly from a ranch so i haven't tried it.

Someone on one of these threads recommended their turkey gravy (2 carbs per 1/4 cup, gluten free) and we bought one box to try. When we went back for more they were completely sold out (days before Thanksgiving) and weren't planning on getting more in until next year. So if your TJs has the gravy you might want to give it a try.

As Cici pointed out--I do wonder how far you're driving to get there and if it's worth the trip. Unless you're going for other stuff and TJs is just one stop. It's not a very big store (at least around here).
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post

I am going to drive 2.5 hours to the next state on Tuesday to go to a Trader Joe's! I think Kristn said they have the best coconut cream...anything else I should get besides Kerrygold butter and coconut cream anyone????
Most of the grocery stores around me carry it, though it is expensive and not always easy to find with the other butters. I wonder if you can't just ask your closest "chain" grocery store to stock it for you.
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Thanks for the responses. Every year for the last 2 years we have received a gift certificate to a "top of the hotel" restaurant that is very expensive and it's good for a year. It's $50 and expires the end of hte month. It's at the "half way point" driving wise. So, we are planning a day out. Going to go to Costco and Trader Joes, and then to "lunch" at the hotel with our $50. My car isn't a gas guzzler so it will probably cost us about $25 in gas, but we get to use the $50 gift certificate for a yummy lunch (hope they have salmon!) and also to Costco.

There is no kerrygold around here. The store we are going to does have kerrygold cheese and it's like a brick and is a cross of parmesean and something else. Hubby hated it. The lightly salted pastured butter is only available 3 months of the year and was on sale for $3.99.

The good news is that I tried my first BPC for "lunch" and it was awesome. Usually I make mine into a hot milkshake with SF Davinci's flavoring and HWC and MCT oil. So, this time I went to the website and made it properly with the coffee, 1 TBSP each of MCT oil and the pastured butter (grass fed, but lightly salted) and it was great. I usually like a sweet flavor and it needed nothing! I'm so excited. I can't stand the coffee with CO, but love it with MCT oil and now with the butter! Ooooohhhhh....good. Problem is now I have to pack in some protein for dinner as the BPC had none to speak of in it, just fat!

Kristn thanks for the list. I'll look for the gravy and have never had/tried mascarpone and remember well when I lived near Seattle buying their huge brick of dark chocolate in the red wrapper!!! And their nuts! Oh, and their salted pumpkin seeds....but I can't stop eating those as they are so good! I'll have to check the list of macros.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Shelley--I especially love the "Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's Bar." It's super dark but really smooth (at least to my taste). I can't even have one in the house.

I'm glad to hear it's on the way and that you're going to have a fun trip out of it!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Well, it's about 20 minutes out of the way (maybe 5 miles?)....but still in the big city.....up a very steep hill, so as long as there is no snow/ice, we can do it! It's not often that the 2 of us go on a fun day together.....we are retired and have "separate lives" other than 3 days at the gym (him to play racquetball and me to lift weights). So, it will be a fun day out and about, and I sure hope the lunch will be fabulous!!!! Last time we were there I ordered their club sandwich and took out all 3 pieces of bread and just ate the bacon, turkey, lettuce and tomato and asked for a side of mayo!!! ha ha But the time before, they did have salmon and it was heavenly, so I'm hoping they will again.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Our Sam's carry KG butter!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
I've never heard of putting coconut cream in it but Trader Joes sells wonderful virgin coconut oil. It has the MCT health properties and is heavenly when used along with unsalted grassfed butter. It would be horrible if you drive all that way and they were out of what you were looking for. As far as I know, you can call TJ's in advance and they will pack a bag of what you need and hold it for you--frozen/refrigersted or otherwise. I've called them numerous times and its great to have them do my shopping for me! It's waiting with my name on it and I never have the disappointment that the food/products I'm looking for will be out of stock when I arrive.
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm not going to Trader Joe's tomorrow...hubby doesn't want to go as the West Coast storm is to hit us tomorrow and driving in the rain is horrible on our windy mountain roads. So, after teh gym, I scoured the new big grocery store with the HUGE section of health foods.....found "pastured unsalted butter" which is from grassfed cows, so got some. Yikes...$5.99, but it was for a # I think. I did the BPC with the MCT, the butter and coffee and used the Vitamix and that was awesome. It's nowhere as good just stirred! What a treat that is. couldn't find any coconut cream either, just cans of coconut milk...reg and "light". So, one of these days I've got to make that drive and check out Trader Joe's! I love this BPC and am so excited to have learned about it. Thanks everyone! (I could not tolerate CO in my coffee at all!)
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
This coffee and its name sounds very interesting.
I was just reading about butter tea and butter coffee on the recipe section.Maybe I will come up with a ghee coffee too.If i can wean myself off splenda in my coffee by flavoring it with butter ,that is a plus.I love drinking coffee ,but when I overdo it,I gain ,mostly I think due to overuse of sweetening with splenda.I can't stand plain black coffee.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
Coconut Cream Concentrate & Coconut Oil

I get Nutiva c.o. from Amazon on the super saver plan...two 54 oz. containers with free shipping.

The most wonderful coconut cream concentrate (not like c.milk/cream) is from Tropical Traditions...what a wonderful site and much information on all things coconut/mct.

It has been my understanding the c.o. has a larger percentage of lauric acid than mct.
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Well DUH!!!! lol I can't believe I didn't think of just going to the KG site to see if they had a 'where to buy' type thing - which they do

Looks like the Tom Thumbs out towards Southlake have it and, of course, Sprouts over there carries it. They show Sams but both locations show it has to be ordered (for 27 bucks) and it is not stocked. That is a long ways from me but I do go through that area on occasion.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Not sure if this is an issue with anyone else.. but since I've started making this coffee (i actually use hot cocoa now instead of coffee) including the kerrygolds butter and coconut oil...

things in the kitchen have started getting oily! Any tips from getting all the oiliness under control?

I'm scared to use a blender because I anticipate it being a pain in the butt to clean!
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting. I just use regular store brand detergent for kitchen/dishes. No problem with residual oil on things.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to mention, I use an immersion blender for my BPC right in the mug.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I use a Magic Bullet to blend it, and it winds up looking like a frappe - much better texture, and no oil slick. Easy clean-up, too, and the lids allow me to take a cup along in the car without worrying about a spill. FWIW, I've learned that allowing it to cool and reheating it will cause it to separate, so drink it while it's hot.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heidihomom
WOE: Bernstein/Primal
Start Date: May 2012
I did this this morning, adding an egg for protein. I just was experimenting to see if this can be my default breakfast, and it whipped up in a Hamilton Beach single-serving blender just like a latte. I topped with a bit of cinnamon for blood sugar regulation, added some cream-cheese-and-egg waffles, some sausage links, and was so happy with it! Thanks for the tips!!!
heidihomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trtlchk
Stats: 211/200/125
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: November 26, 2012
Serving Size?

Hi All,

Newbie here.

Just wondering- for those of you that use this alone for breakfast, how much do you drink? Is it 1 cup with about 2TB of fat (butter, CO, MCT, etc) or do you have more?

I've been trying coffee with CO (about 1 TB) for the last week, but most of the time, I ended up leaving the oil slick in the mug, and was pretty hungry mid-morning. Definitely trying the blender tomorrow!

-----

On a side note, started Atkins on Cyber Monday. Lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks (never left induction) and then came to a SCREECHING HALT! Have hovered in a 1 lb range since 12/31.

I started research into NK, and figured I'd give it a go. Got my ketone meter last week. Not measuring each day b/c of $, but last Sunday evening, I was @ .4. Not too terrible for someone who had been treating it as a high protein diet. I made an effort to decrease protein and increase fat all week. Thursday AM, up to 1.1!!!

Hoping that my Monday morning weigh-in will show positive movement!
trtlchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #49
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
When I drink BPC on the weekend, I use 16 oc coffee, 1 tbsp butter, 1tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp of heavy cream... and I use my frother to mix it and foam it up like a yummy creamy latte. It lasts me 2-4 hrs max, I still need food. But, it's a great way to ease into my weekend mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtlchk View Post
Hi All,

Newbie here.

Just wondering- for those of you that use this alone for breakfast, how much do you drink? Is it 1 cup with about 2TB of fat (butter, CO, MCT, etc) or do you have more?

I've been trying coffee with CO (about 1 TB) for the last week, but most of the time, I ended up leaving the oil slick in the mug, and was pretty hungry mid-morning. Definitely trying the blender tomorrow!

-----

On a side note, started Atkins on Cyber Monday. Lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks (never left induction) and then came to a SCREECHING HALT! Have hovered in a 1 lb range since 12/31.

I started research into NK, and figured I'd give it a go. Got my ketone meter last week. Not measuring each day b/c of $, but last Sunday evening, I was @ .4. Not too terrible for someone who had been treating it as a high protein diet. I made an effort to decrease protein and increase fat all week. Thursday AM, up to 1.1!!!

Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I usually have 12 oz. of coffee, plus 1 TB each coconut oil and butter, and then blend it. I was trying macadamia nut oil for a while, but it separates out again in 10 minutes and I really don't like the oil slick on top of my coffee.

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. Glad this is getting you into ketosis!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Just starting to get into BPC and I think it helps me a lot. There is a lot of talk about it elsewhere on the forums and some mention of it on the giant monthly threads but I thought I'd mention it here for the newbies in case they don't find it.

Its just coffee that you can add you CO or MCT oil in. I find it to be very filling, and it gives me tons of energy. Additionally its another way to add CO to the day which can be hard for me bc I can't eat CO plain yet. I like to add a splash of vanilla.

Today I was feeling a little under the weather, cold coming on... and for some reason being sick always makes me crave carbs.. I just made myself a hot cocoa version of BPC and it really picked me up!
I seen someone post about them drinking this mysterious BulletProof Coffee...

what is the coconut oil for?

Last edited by socaligirl714; 01-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

The originator of bulletproof coffee actually recommends using unsalted, grass-fed butter and MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) oil, but MCT oil is expensive, so a lot of people use coconut oil instead. Coconut oil is high in MCTs which the keto-adapted body treats as a quick-energy source. MCTs are not stored in the body, so your metabolism burns them first, and they're good brain food. If you're trying to get into ketosis, eating 2-3 TB of coconut oil in a day will help, and keep the atkins flu at bay.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Dang, the WMs in this area do not carry the KG butter. I'll keep checking though since some of them have it - thanks!

Nah, no Nugget stores in Texas as far as I know.

HEB has it. Kroger has it in the foil package, HEB has the tubs.
SouthernGirl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
HEB has it. Kroger has it in the foil package, HEB has the tubs.
No kiddin. I'm aiming to go by Kroger here at some point to get some more of that Slap Ya Mama seasoning so I'll look for it when I go. Thanks ct
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenny's Wife
Stats: 349/289/170
WOE: Atkins/Keto/LC My Way!
Start Date: Restart: January 1, 2013
I just love this post, so thankful! Must try this. Thank you so much for sharing. I am new to the site and in the past 3 days have learned so much from so many great people! Boy am I glad I found you all!
Kenny's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I do the magic bullet thing as well and it turns out great!

To those that asked about the coconut cream, I've done that too and it's wonderful! I put the cream into a bowl (and keep the liquid for smoothies). Then I can just take out a serving every day. I whip it up in my magic bullet just like the oil.

I've done all sorts of combos - it's great with chai tea as well (I also steep a bag of green tea with my chai). I love experimenting with it!

I must admit though, I'm totally jealous of the people who say they aren't hungry after drinking it. That is totally not true for me. I must eat something with it or I might as well just be drinking water.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

DD80, bulletproof coffee usually satisfies my hunger, but there's a definite difference when I use the coconut cream instead of oil - I get hungry much more quickly. I think it's due to the carb content.

Coffee quality makes a difference, too. I was making BC with whatever flavored coffees I had around, but I finally invested in some locally-roasted guatemalan coffee and it's a night and day difference. The flavor is great, and the appetite suppressant effect is much stronger. If you can afford it, it is worth the money.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
DD80, bulletproof coffee usually satisfies my hunger, but there's a definite difference when I use the coconut cream instead of oil - I get hungry much more quickly. I think it's due to the carb content.

Coffee quality makes a difference, too. I was making BC with whatever flavored coffees I had around, but I finally invested in some locally-roasted guatemalan coffee and it's a night and day difference. The flavor is great, and the appetite suppressant effect is much stronger. If you can afford it, it is worth the money.
You know, it still makes me hungry even with the coconut oil. I have better luck having coffee with almond milk and my trio bar (which is basically nuts and a little dried fruit). Not low carb, but I think what helps is that little but of protein with the fat in the nuts. I'm hungriest at breakfast so maybe I just need something substantial? I don't know - still jealous of you people!

Thank you for the tip on the coffee. I seem to like dark roast (which is funny because I hated coffee up until a few months ago) and I have bought some good quality coffees. Helps that BIL works at Starbucks.. I find the darker roasts (more robust coffee flavor) are way more satisfying.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I love it but go the cheap route. No special coffee or grassfed butter. Actually love the slight saltiness of salted butter in it along with the mild sweetness of the CO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
I start every day with 2 cups of BPC. Per cup I use 1tbsp Kerrygold unsalted grassfed butter, 1tbsp CO and 8oz of strong coffee. Perfect way to start the day!!!
So, I think I'm going to make a change from using SO much HWC in my daily coffees for fat to the CO or MCT with the butter...

I will have to go the cheap/easy route and use plain 'ol normal coffee and will try to find grassfed butter but doubt i will. I looked up KerryGold's website and found they only sell at one place here and its Sams Club and i don't have a membership and dread going there just for some butter...plus I live on a tight budget so if I can get some of the benefits of the BPC using lower quality products I suppose it is still a step in the right direction?

I'm def over eating and gaining weight steady so hoping the BPC helps me stay on track better. I dont think I'm over eating cuz I'm hungry just bad habits so yeah. Anyway, I'm going to try this coffee tomorrow! I will have regular generic coffee with CO and Kroger Salted butter...

Curious if there are other readers in this same boat - using the non BPC ingredients to make their own ghetto version of BPC LoL...

I have never tried the MCT (not sure i'm even correct in those letters) but going to try and get my hands on that stuff here at Nat Grocers hopefully.
robbelkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Tried a BPC egg cream this morning--coffee, 1T CO, 1T butter, 2 eggs, 1t Dark Chocolate cocoa powder. It was amazing and kept me full for hours. Not recommended to drink before a run, though
cpresson is offline   Reply With Quote