Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #1171
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #1172
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
GM Darin! After all this book talk, I am going to get the Kindle app on Ipad now. I need to use the Ipad more, and it has everything I need to be mobile, and adding the books will be even better! Kindle and I have never quite loved each other...especially at the beach. I called the company last summer to hammer them for the LED inability to adjust to higher light, after they advertised it would be great for the beach. Well, if you are under a towel, with an umbrella, with sunglasses, if the wind doesn't blow, you may read a page or two! It was good at NIGHT on the beach. Now I am going to find my Robert Ludlum Bourne series, as DD1 got all interested when I was talking about this tonight! The movie is on today on demand, which I do applaud them for the movies, they are accurate to the book, however, Matt Damon is not my picture of Jason Bourne! Had to adjust to him. Off to sit in peace on the porch, finish coffee and enjoy the quiet of the morning....until all paws get up! ct
I forgot about reading the first Bourne book. I read it after the movie. I was surprised at some of the changes they made for the movie. I thought the movie was pretty good and the book, of course, was excellent.

heh I remember that on the beach commercial.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #1173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: han1cka
Stats: 207.5/156.5/135
WOE: LC, NK
Start Date: March 09
Stepping out of lurkdom to wish you all

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and great New year!!

Hanna
Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #1174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoangel View Post
I just wanted to stop in and say hi to my friends
I'm really sorry for not posting lately, but "life" has hit pretty hard and i'm doing my best to stay positive! I have eaten some Christmas goodies but have maintained my weight. Hah I told myself NO goodies this year and I have failed! It's weird cause I only want them late at night, I'm blaming TOM!
I noticed this morning that my tummy looked better than ever before so I took a pic. I postd it on the Meat & Egg fast thread. I'm so happy that although I haven't continued to lose weight, I have continued to lose inches so I'm very pleased.

My goal tonight is to catch up on this thread and read how all of you have been doing. I probably won't respond to all the posts caust that would take a LONG time haha, but I do want to catch up with you guys!

I hope all of you are enjoying the holidays. I'm off to do my last minute shopping This should be interesting
I heard Chris kresser saying sugar cravings always worse in the evening due to lack of sunlight, don't know if it's true but I always got sugar cravings at night when I was on high carb
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Red's post from the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone! :)
Woah, Red -- it is still xmas eve here -- where are you posting from? Or should I write "when" are you posting from?!

--
Phillip
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Checking in with you all this Christmas Eve. Have loved the discussions on our thread the past couple of days. I loved the Bourne movies. And, am loving the kindle app for my Ipad although I just have the one book d/loaded so far.

Weight remaining at 185.4 so I am sure I will make my New Year's goal for 185. Hoping to slip below that but I know this magical whoosh I have been on is going to halt at some point and I will go through the bouncing stage for a while to let my body adjust.

Please let me know as soon as they come out with the ketogenic diet for dummies book. You brainiacs are making me , although I do pick up and learn from each and every post.

SG, you asked if I thought that I had lowered my fat intake as to why the increased weight loss. I don't really think so, but am not logging so hard to tell, but, I start every day with coffee and 2-3 T of CO, depending on how much coffee I drink. Lunch is some kind of meat that is usually fatty or with added butter if it isn't. Snacks have been the diet root beer float with as much HWC as I desire, then dinner more meat. Diet has been pretty plain jane as I just haven't had time to cook much. But, I am full and satisfied each day, it is just a little boring. I will be glad to have more time after the New Year to get back to some more cooking. I "HOPE" it is the result of my body becoming keto adapted at burning fat but I don't know how a person knows that? I am just very happy with my scale these days and the growing pile of clothing that I am bagging up for charity. It is great to think that come spring and summer, my closets might be half way empty again and I "have" to buy some new, smaller clothing.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday in whatever way or wherever you plan to spend it.
Wow Buffy 185 that's fantastic!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Wishing all my new fiends here a Merry Christmas!,,
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #1178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Merry Christmas everybody!!!!
Hope you all have a blessed Holiday
((((HUGS)))))
Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #1179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Merry Christmas All! Enjoy your time spent with family, loved ones and friends....don't sweat the small stuff

I'm happy to report that I resisted the urge to make monkey bread this morning for breakfast....(holiday tradition in my house). Still no further loss on the scale but the pants I just bought two weeks ago were loose yesterday when I had them on so I'll keep chugging along and figure my body will catch up at some point.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #1180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Merry Christmas everyone. Holiday eating has me a bit pudgy with the carb bounce, but back to basics after NY.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #1181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you.

Santa brought me a new low of 184.6 Good ole Santa. Had set my New Year's goal to 185, guess I need to rethink that.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #1182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Good Morning to All! Bbrrr in Texas, this is very, very unusual for us! We had about an hour of winds that brought back very bad hurricane memories! Will be exercising today cleaning up the yard!
Welcome Luigi and Hanna!
Wow Buffy, you did get a great gift! Keep on doing whatever you are doing!
We took at break from NK, to LC...had a few carb items yesterday...happy to report that if you change a carrot cake to a cupcake, which reduces the icing to minimum, it was okay, but not the addictive nature in the past. We all ate the good stuff, and now I have rolls and cupcakes left over! Taking to my DB and SIL tomorrow on that adventure!
Have a great day!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1183
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning all.
I ate too many carbs yesterday and the scale reflected that. Really the first bad day I have done since Sept. 3rd so I don't feel too bad about it. Knocked me out of ketosis though so today will be meat and eggs to get back in. Funny thing is that although the food did taste good, I kind of had an upset tummy from them, so I am ready to get back on and back to losing and good blood sugar readings and working towards better health.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #1184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I'm up a little bit too. My husband did the traditional thing his family used to do as he was growing up, since they are Jewish and don't celebrate Christmas: he went to a movie (The Hobbit). Afterward he picked me up and we went to the Chinese Buffet. I didn't do well. Had 5 pieces of sushi, one piece of cake, and all the rest on plan but a lot of food.

Only up a pound today and back on track (for real!).
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #1185
Big Yapper!!!!

I was up 2 lbs from my off day Deborah, won't be quite as much fun relosing those 2 lbs as it was losing them
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

So true, Buffy! Oh well, at least we have some friends in the same boat to help us through!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Well Buffy and Deborah, I solved the issue of "weight gain" by not getting on the scale! It's not Sunday yet!! That said, my sinus are blocked, my fingers are soooo swollen, and I feel like a zombie! Now we head off to visit more family, and they say they are LC, but well, it's a version that includes pasta/breads! Taking food with me, can't stand the way I feel right now. Getting back on plan, can't last another day!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #1188
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! We had a white Christmas here in North Texas. That is unusual enough to be newsworthy. We were actually snowed/iced in out here in the boonies because we don't have sand or salt trucks. Our street was iced over and treacherous to get down to get to the main road (which was clear from the traffic driving on it).

Santa brought us pipes that didn't freeze and bust this year. Hooray Santa. A couple of years ago we got zapped with a very hard freeze and the dang pumping station froze up. Well, that meant that a heck of a lot of faucets down line quit dripping so our lines froze and busted. Talk about a pain.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well Buffy and Deborah, I solved the issue of "weight gain" by not getting on the scale! It's not Sunday yet!! That said, my sinus are blocked, my fingers are soooo swollen, and I feel like a zombie! Now we head off to visit more family, and they say they are LC, but well, it's a version that includes pasta/breads! Taking food with me, can't stand the way I feel right now. Getting back on plan, can't last another day!
@Buffy & SG: I'm down 2 pounds today, so I guess the extra weight was water weight from all the carbs I've been consuming lately. Starting to eat cleaner now.

@Red: glad to hear your pipes held up! That would have been an awful way to go into the new year!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #1190
Blabbermouth!!!

I was contemplating the intense smoking cravings that I've had two or three times since quitting cold turkey.

I quite smoking back in 2003. I was a non-smoker for a little over a year. Completely over cigarettes. It was job related stress in 2004 that I allowed to push me into thinking that starting smoking again was a good idea.

Back in 2003 I'd read a book about quitting. Two of the things that the author pointed out seemed, to me, to be instrumental in helping me quit.

#1 - you touch your lips hundreds of times a day so you need to do something about that addiction to the physical sensation (I used straws).

#2 - lots and lots of things/actions are triggers that tell you it is time to light up. Like the end of a meal, getting in the car, opening a can of soda, etc. So spend a week identifying those triggers and making a note of them. Then start putting time between the trigger and lighting up. Just one minute at first. Then two minutes. Then 5. Then 10. Gradually. It takes a few weeks. You end up disassociating the trigger from lighting the cigarette. It works.

When I smoked my last cigarette I remember clearly looking at it and consciously thinking that I did not need to smoke any more. By then I was down to two cigarettes a day.

I mention that in such detail because I did not suffer from this sort of almost overwhelming urge to smoke back then. *That* is the difference between cold turkey and taper-off.

It is very annoying. I know that after 70 days (today is 70 days) my physical addiction to nicotine is long since gone.

Of course 10 years later and 10 years older I am a different person with different stressors but the difference in urges is striking and I think that the taper versus cold-turkey is the primary reason if not the entire reason.

I tell you what, though, I have tried many times over the last 10 years to taper off and quit again and failed every time. That is why I threw it all in on going cold turkey this time.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #1191
Blabbermouth!!!

Whew, nothing sucks like busted pipes lol
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #1192
Blabbermouth!!!

I was listening to a Taubes with JM podcast and GT mentioned that he noticed when he ate spoon full of coconut butter before going to bed he quit waking up at 3am-ish with stressed out thoughts about stuff going on in his life. He said he might still wake up but he wouldn't lie awake gripped with racing thoughts (to paraphrase).

That is very interesting. Long time readers of our threads know that back in October, I think, I started ending my eating day with a T of CO because eating CO results in ketone production.

Several weeks ago I quit doing that when I was dealing with the first really tough bout of cigarette cravings because I went off plan to deal with the urges.

Anyway! Since GT mentioned it I noticed that I have been waking up and having a hard time getting back to sleep because my mind would race with stupid stuff. I just assumed that the early morning wake up thing was part of the LC experience that lots of people have - light sleep and less sleep - and the mind racing was just me and my fml existence atm.

I'm almost certain that I wasn't plagued with this when I was doing the CO as my last calories of the day several hours before going to bed. On or off plan I am going to start doing that again to find out if it is related for me.

Google 'llvlc439-gary-taubes' and GT brings it up at the 18:40 mark. He goes on to say that he wonders if the anxiety might be a manifestation of insulin/hunger response. Very interesting.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #1193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
So many good things to think about, Red. Apreciated the smoking cessation and sleep/CO comments. I have to deal with both those issues soon. Was down to 3 cigs/day. Now back up to 5. Haven't set a deadline for quitting yet as each time I do, the stress/anxiety of current situation (long term unemployment) makes me think I will have a heart attack.

Sleep was better while NK and consuming lots of CO but now back to baseline of about 5-6 hours. Won't be back to NK until afte NY, but have started tapering back on the carbs post Christmas events. Have way too many fruit/veggies in the fridge to consider NK at the moment. Plus some sour mash which is a special treat this time of year.

Happily, only had a 2 pound bounce thusfar. That should disappear quickly once back on plan.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #1194
Senior LCF Member

I think you may be right about that Red. I have been lazy about getting in my coconut oil and my anxiety has been pretty high. I have medication for it, but I'd rather not go that route.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #1195
Big Yapper!!!!

The talk about the busted pipes reminds me of a Christmas day when our neighbors had a house full of company, lots of cooking going on and their kitchen sink plugged up. Hours later of lots of plumbing things they got it fixed but of course it created quite a mess. I felt really bad for my neighbors.

SG, sure hope you can get carb free soon and get to feeling better. Blocked sinus, which I have been dealing with and having the headaches, plus the swelling, not good news in any way.

Deborah, glad to hear your two lbs have left the building, hope my 2 follow quickly. And, I get back into ketosis. Was so disappointed to see Lo again this AM but, I did polish off the last of those darn peanuts we got as a gift. Today, meat and fat.

I have never quit having my 2-4 T of CO because I have it in my morning coffee and that is an everyday thing. Might try having a T with dinner tonight. Or a fat bomb for dessert.

Appetite has stayed low so far while out of ketosis so I don't want to stay out any longer than possible, I sure don't want that to come back.

Cici, good luck getting back on full plan. I think many are tapering off the carbs this week with plans to hit it hard after the 1st, still a lot of gatherings going on.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #1196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Oh no, ct....I feel your pain. Once this is all over, you will be back on track with the rest of us. I started again with gusto yesterday and slept so well last night and feel so good today! no slug feelings for me. Lost 1.5# overnight just by eliminating all that delicious, but nasty, stuff I had for 2 days in a row. Boy did that create cravings and gave me an instant headache when dropping all the grains/sugars. You can do it....many of us "fell off the wagon" and got back up and brushed ourselves off...and I know you can do it too!!!! Just get through all the parties and you'll be good as new!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #1197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Good morning everyone! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! We had a white Christmas here in North Texas. That is unusual enough to be newsworthy. We were actually snowed/iced in out here in the boonies because we don't have sand or salt trucks. Our street was iced over and treacherous to get down to get to the main road (which was clear from the traffic driving on it).

Santa brought us pipes that didn't freeze and bust this year. Hooray Santa. A couple of years ago we got zapped with a very hard freeze and the dang pumping station froze up. Well, that meant that a heck of a lot of faucets down line quit dripping so our lines froze and busted. Talk about a pain.

Yay!!! Watching the national news and all the snow/ice in Texas and was hoping that all you Texans were doing okay. So delighted you didn't have frozen pipes...that IS cause for celebration when you have a "White Christmas" and no nasty stuff to go along with it. Hope you are also feeling better and so is your computer!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Deborah....great news on losing the 2# you gained...I'm hoping to lose the nearly 5# I gained in 2 days...down 1.5 so far, and hope the rest will go away as quickly as it arrived.

Major Red....very interesting on Taubes and the coconut butter. I have stopped all coconut oil for the last week and have had anxiety...thought it was the holidays and not being close to family who all get together in CA and have fun! But maybe it was the CO after all. Will re-introduce it...in smaller amounts. The heavy fats didn't work for my "old body" that is used to nonfat everything for a lifetime! Deborah...sounds like we both cut back on the CO and both got that issue of being anxious...I know I was crabby...and the carbs couldn't have helped with the introduction once again of grains and sugars.

Anyway, Major Red, I'm happy you are remaining free of those nasty cigarettes! So proud of you!

Cici,you can do it. New Years is under a week away and we'll support you in also stopping. Seems like you'll have plenty of company and compassion of those that have done it before you.

It will be so nice to have everyone back again soon.

Buffy and SG/ct....please feel better soon!!!! PC/Becky....hope your holidays were wonderful and you have a safe trip back home.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #1199
Big Yapper!!!!

The White Christmas was really pretty and did make it feel like Christmas here, but, lots of wrecks, I feel so bad for the people involved.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #1200
Blabbermouth!!!

The worst thing about bad weather is other drivers.

I remember years ago when I was driving on 183 eastbound on that stretch between Euless and Hwy 360. It was raining to beat the band and our car was alone with a troupe of cars half a mile behind us and another grouping a half mile or so in front of us. I was watching the rear view mirror and one driver pulled dramatically ahead of the pack behind us. I thought, wow that sucker is hauling butt, as I watched him race ahead of everyone else. I changed lanes to give myself an extra lane between us and the insane idiot coming up hand over fist.

Well sir, I did not need to change lanes. He hydroplaned, did a couple of 360s and ended up facing the wrong way about 2 inches from the divider on the inside shoulder lol. I betcha he wet hisself somewhere in that 45 seconds of spinning around. Right round. Like a record he spun.

It couldn't have happened any better either. He was far enough ahead of the pack, and far enough behind me, when it happened that no one got hurt including himself and whatever passengers were in the car *and* his car was untouched too he really was just a couple of inches from the barrier when he stopped moving but not damage to the car. Wow. heh.

Last edited by reddarin; 12-27-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Oops. 183 not 820.
Closed Thread