Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
I had a loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy, I hope it doesn't go back up- I am down to 143.6 (from 145.2 a few days ago).
Hooray!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

You used the roasted garlic to make garlicky OO? Or you smeared the OO soaked roasted garlic on the chicken and other stuff?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I am not a performance athlete and I'll be perfectly happy with being just skinny if not sculpted so I use the 1.5g/kg formula.

Another thing about the Performance formula is that huge range of protein. It allows for a heck of a lot of flexibility. BUT that means that you are also responsible for determining the right protein grams for your exercise regimen and your carefully thought out exercise focused menu plan. AND you have to know what body fat percentage is appropriate not just for your sex but for the sort of exercise regimen you are engaged in and the way you want/need your body to be molded.

me, performance?? exercise?

like i said in the other thread early on, my exercise is activities of daily living. i noticed you leaned toward phinney's numbers when you were figuring other people's numbers. using that for my goal range of 130-135, my protein is 88-92g. much higher than i had been trying to attain my first few days. and, not eating enough protein can cause little weight loss as much as too few cals, right? also, i have discovered i am more on the large frame size as my wrist is 6.5"

soooo all my new numbers are (and i found that the low end of my weight range should be 136 and that i am actually right now IN my recommended range for my height/frame 136-151 at 148.8 this morning. (but i don't like how the mirror looks here.)

i'm going to stick with 135 for numbers of 92g and 2147 cals
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post

That calorie limit makes me SO jealous!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
That calorie limit makes me SO jealous!
...said the girl who needs to GAIN weight!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hello everybody. Just your daily lurker checking in. Had a hard time finding you for Dec!
I am diabetic and in maintenance so don't have a lot of exciting weight loss or changes to report but can assure you that this diet works for maintenance and helps with blood glucose control as well.

So glad to continue to follow all of your progress. I feel like you are all friends and will chime in rarely but am here several times a day. Guess I'm a little shy.
Hi there
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
...said the girl who needs to GAIN weight!
lol
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I wished for one time in my life I could say I have to gain weight!! but I guess the good Lord made me this way for a reason
Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
and, not eating enough protein can cause little weight loss
No. In fact, under-consumption will probably increase weight loss as long as you are not dangerously under-consuming and break yourself, wake up to concerned looks in the ER and everyone freaking out when they find out you were eating Atkinsesque which gets reported on the 6pm news and then all of us suffer for your very low protein diet choices.

At any rate, no, low protein won't stall you. But too low protein means that you will lose lean body mass. That happens because your body will gleefully, and super silently, steal protein from your body if you aren't eating enough in your diet. And there are no red flags for this slow leech of lean body mass. You have to be actively checking your LBM values to catch it happening.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
me, performance?? exercise?

like i said in the other thread early on, my exercise is activities of daily living. i noticed you leaned toward phinney's numbers when you were figuring other people's numbers. using that for my goal range of 130-135, my protein is 88-92g. much higher than i had been trying to attain my first few days. and, not eating enough protein can cause little weight loss as much as too few cals, right? also, i have discovered i am more on the large frame size as my wrist is 6.5"

soooo all my new numbers are (and i found that the low end of my weight range should be 136 and that i am actually right now IN my recommended range for my height/frame 136-151 at 148.8 this morning. (but i don't like how the mirror looks here.)

Well, you might be better off body-wise on the lower end of the range - everyone is gonna be unique on where they fall within the ideal weight range.

Sadly, you may have to embark on some form of self-torture to form your body the way you want it to look. I commiserate entirely. Once you are at whatever weight you feel is good for you then you may look at some sort of exercise regimen more as a social outing than an arduous mountain to climb. Get some girlfriends to join in or intentionally leave them out to see if you can discover some new wonderful friends.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
carb joke.jpg

Mornin all.
Congrats on the losses.
Glad to hear it Becky!
And Glad you are feeling better.

Last edited by Clueless; 12-02-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I wished for one time in my life I could say I have to gain weight!! but I guess the good Lord made me this way for a reason
So say we all!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

lol I've seen that one Cheryl! Too funny!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks Cheryl just blows my mind what just a few carbs can do to you!depression aches,and weight gain.im in this now for the long hall
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to All, GM, it is pretty here, I love any day the sun welcomes us in the morning!
Great report Mizz! You are doing so good. The suppression will come on appetite, I was around end of two weeks I think. One day I just wasn't as hungry.
Hi Becky, good going to drop the nuts, I am as well, with the exception of mac nuts. Yesterday I emptied a new package, 8 oz in the old Oscar, and made mac nut butter. Easy to add cream cheese and coconut butter in a quick need. I had a T after my coffee this morning to take vitamins, have to get fat for those to absorb, and I am feeling good. That slight depressed feeling is likely due to the reduction of carbs from nuts, hang in it will clear.
Hi Darin! Bet you are tired after all that new December work yesterday! I like your point about metrics, 98% of Americans cannot convert and it is setting folks up for failure. Health care does work in metrics, and it's a challenge to tell folks, take 1 mg of something, and they stare with a blank face. We are working on discharge planning hard, to make certain they understand how to take meds and vitamins. We do have conversion errors in the facilities as well. Would be nice if these books had the conversions sidebar to the metrics.
Hi Tablis,
So good to hear from you Shunsweets!
Sophie, I get the green face everytime I think about taking olive oil straight! I'm glad it works for you, but well, eeekkk!
Dazy, you have to do what feels right for you....charts are merely recommendations. I feel best at 120, even though the charts say I "should" be higher.
Deborah, I thought the same thing when I saw 2000+ calories, I don't know if mentally I can do that.
Hi Judy! you always provide needed laughs! TY
GM Cheryl, very good!
Heading out to work in the garden! Have a great day
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!
Wow, so many great posts this morning!!! all around for those of you who had losses this morning! Makes it so fun when you begin this and see those losses on the scale. And Sophia, so happy to see you post that your appetite dropped some, I didn't want you to throw in the towel because you felt hungry.

I still need to try that OO recommendation for movement but I keep forgetting to do it.

Shunsweets, glad you said Hi!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi everybody!

I had been posting on the other thread (wasn't originally aware of the difference), so some of you are aware that I had started NK but had to suspend my attempt due to severe symptoms of something amiss.

I actually went to the hospital Friday during the night with heart palpitations associated with dizzy spells--very scary! The doctors there took a very complete history and did several tests (which were normal). They say that ALL my symptoms point to thyroid problems, but they did not run the thyroid tests because they would have taken a long time to come back, and my family doctor already requested them (and the results should be in this week).

So I'm really, really hoping that the tests will indicate low thyroid so that I can get treated, start feeling better and try NK again! I plan to do it properly this time (tracking from the beginning )

I do have one specific question for those of you who are diabetic and/or check blood sugars. They did a random glucose in the hospital (which was about 20-30 minutes after I ate a very small hospital breakfast) and it was 180. I guess that was the spike and am assuming it would have come down after 1 hour, but it seems high to me after such a small meal (although it was practically all carbs--astounding to me what conventional medecine considers a "healthy" meal).

Does anyone know if this is cause for concern? The doctors there were not particularly concerned about it, but considering that I have polyneuropathy that my doctor has not been able to find a cause for, I am a bit paranoid about high blood sugars!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Anjikun, I am sorry but I don't remember if you are diabetic? If you aren't, then that spike was very unusual. If you are, and the meal was mostly carbs, then yes, it could test that high after a carby meal. Even on meds, when I wasn't eating this way, my BS could spike that high after eating a very carby meal. Surprised they didn't test it again 2 hours after the meal but they don't seem to get too excited unless it goes over 250 or below 60.
I do love the TIGHT control I have on my BS on NK. Can't wait for my next A1C test.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
I am not a diagnosed diabetic, but what I have come to see after taking it upon myself to biohack and test is - even eating low carb, I need to watch things, because "innocent" foods jack my blood sugars around.

Anjikun - something to understand about blood sugars is EVERYTHING changes them. You could have spiked from the stress of being in the hospital and undergoing tests. That in addition to the carby breakfast can only compound things. Also if/when you are sick, stressed, in pain (and sometimes hormones change things too), your blood sugars can be higher than they normally would.

"regular" blood sugars (meaning, to me, "we cant put you on the big pharma teat yet" is 140 and less after 1 hour and 120 and less after 2 hours.

Another thing to understand is, a lot of folks tend to be more insulin resistant in the mornings. I can consume things later in the day that might blip my blood sugars, but would send them bumping up up if I had it in the morning.

I always had 'normal' blood sugars when the doc tested them - but what I found after spending the 20 bucks for supplies myself is - even eating low carb, I am much more insulin resistant than I ever would have thought.

So, I suppose all of that to say - while I might not be "concerned" I would ABSOLUTELY get my curiousity on!

I, from Walmart, got the Relion Prime. I had the micro before that, but the strips for the Prime are much cheaper (9 bucks for 50 strips). While it is understood that the glucose monitors arent "precise" - the truth is they do still show patterns.

If you google up Jenny Ruhl and blood sugar 101, there is a lot of great information there, and she has it lined up so its not too much like trying to sip from a firehose. :}

High blood sugars are worth a person's attention.

Last edited by brandilynn1313; 12-02-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I like your point about metrics, 98% of Americans cannot convert and it is setting folks up for failure. Health care does work in metrics, and it's a challenge to tell folks, take 1 mg of something, and they stare with a blank face
That actually kind of gives me a general feeling of annoyance whenever it comes up.

We should be metric. It is far superior to the Ye Olde English system we are straddled with.

That is why it is always used in almost every industry where precision and accuracy is important.

I was a school boy when the metric system was a huge buzz in America. It was the wave of the future and we were all going to be jetting around in our flying cars spouting mg/kg/ml/dl/etc.

*That* was the stupidity of what happened right there. Instead of playing to its actual strength, which is precision, the dunderheads tried to convince everyone it was the future. Well, heck, that means it is changeable, maybe it won't become the future, and it is a big pain to use and the conversion to it is expensive, the USSR is using it and we do not want to give them a nod and a wink, blah blah blah. Just stupid.

/rant over
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Anjikun, I am sorry but I don't remember if you are diabetic? If you aren't, then that spike was very unusual. If you are, and the meal was mostly carbs, then yes, it could test that high after a carby meal. Even on meds, when I wasn't eating this way, my BS could spike that high after eating a very carby meal. Surprised they didn't test it again 2 hours after the meal but they don't seem to get too excited unless it goes over 250 or below 60.
I do love the TIGHT control I have on my BS on NK. Can't wait for my next A1C test.
Hi Buffy, thanks so much for your input!

No, I am not diabetic (at least the doctor's tests have been normal enough to satisfy her that I am not diabetic). But I do have polyneuropathy (losts of numbness and tingling, feet and hands, as well as other body parts at times). Because my doctor is not concerned about diabetes, she is going all out trying to find another cause (I have had two MRIs so far to rule out MS). But, based on my research, diabetes (with uncontrolled blood sugars) is by far the most common cause of polyneuropathy, so I am still not 100% convinced that there is not a problem.

I bought a blood glucose meter and the first test I did (a sort of challenge test, with baked rice crackers) was quite high: 147.6 1hr, 187.2 2 hr, 142.2 3 hr). But I had been eating pretty low carb before doing that test. So I took a week or so off LC and ate more moderate-high carb, and my 1 and 2 hour readings came down to more acceptable levels. But I'm still a bit worried, given the two high readings (and my continuing symptoms of neuropathy ).
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilynn1313 View Post
I am not a diagnosed diabetic, but what I have come to see after taking it upon myself to biohack and test is - even eating low carb, I need to watch things, because "innocent" foods jack my blood sugars around.

Anjikun - something to understand about blood sugars is EVERYTHING changes them. You could have spiked from the stress of being in the hospital and undergoing tests. That in addition to the carby breakfast can only compound things. Also if/when you are sick, stressed, in pain (and sometimes hormones change things too), your blood sugars can be higher than they normally would.

"regular" blood sugars (meaning, to me, "we cant put you on the big pharma teat yet" is 140 and less after 1 hour and 120 and less after 2 hours.

Another thing to understand is, a lot of folks tend to be more insulin resistant in the mornings. I can consume things later in the day that might blip my blood sugars, but would send them bumping up up if I had it in the morning.

I always had 'normal' blood sugars when the doc tested them - but what I found after spending the 20 bucks for supplies myself is - even eating low carb, I am much more insulin resistant than I ever would have thought.

So, I suppose all of that to say - while I might not be "concerned" I would ABSOLUTELY get my curiousity on!

I, from Walmart, got the Relion Prime. I had the micro before that, but the strips for the Prime are much cheaper (9 bucks for 50 strips). While it is understood that the glucose monitors arent "precise" - the truth is they do still show patterns.

If you google up Jenny Ruhl and blood sugar 101, there is a lot of great information there, and she has it lined up so its not too much like trying to sip from a firehose. :}

High blood sugars are worth a person's attention.
'Thanks so much for your input!

I had not considered that the stress of being in the hospital could have affected the reading--thanks for pointing that out!

I have bought my own meter and done some testing (as mentioned in my response to Buffy) and I used the bloodsugar101 site for my ranges. I couldn't find anything on there about whether high spikes before 1 and 2 hour readings could cause neuropathy (the thinking seems to be that elevated sugars over extended periods is what causes it). I have emailed Jenny Ruhl with my question, so, if she is able to respond, I'm anxious to see what she thinks.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry to hear about all of that Anjikun

If you do need thyroid medication then be aware that getting the dosage just right is more of an art than a science. And the dosage being right for you will have a huge impact on your LC/NK success. Phinney talks about that in the Long Term Stalls podcast with Jimmy Moore - google 'long term stalls phinney'.

Your family doc is a good person that will be conscientious about this matter? Are they aware of your LC lifestyle?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That actually kind of gives me a general feeling of annoyance whenever it comes up.

We should be metric. It is far superior to the Ye Olde English system we are straddled with.

That is why it is always used in almost every industry where precision and accuracy is important.

I was a school boy when the metric system was a huge buzz in America. It was the wave of the future and we were all going to be jetting around in our flying cars spouting mg/kg/ml/dl/etc.

*That* was the stupidity of what happened right there. Instead of playing to its actual strength, which is precision, the dunderheads tried to convince everyone it was the future. Well, heck, that means it is changeable, maybe it won't become the future, and it is a big pain to use and the conversion to it is expensive, the USSR is using it and we do not want to give them a nod and a wink, blah blah blah. Just stupid.

/rant over
Well, I also wish the U.S. was on board with the way the rest of us do things (I live in Canada), mainly because I always have to convert things (blood sugar readings, for example) when I do research online and post on forums .
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Red, I'm originally from Michigan, by the way, and we are the same age, so I too remember when they taught us metric in school and said it would all be metric in the future. Yeah right!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
I'm pretty amazed too! Man you are doing great! that's how it was for me when I did LC the first time, everytime I got on the scale I saw a loss!

I forgot- were stalled and that's whay you started NK?

So happy for you!
Hi tablis, its a great feeling! I wasn't necessarily stalled, but I was overeating on protein and falling back into eating carbs (frozen yogurt meltdowns every 4 days or so) over and over and over, so I had been bouncing between 127-130 for the past 2 or 3 months and never fully got into ketosis (I think this is why I couldn't cut the froyo) Also had some binging tendencies since overcoming extreme restriction (I was eating about 500 cals a day for about a year) back in June... Since I've upped the fat (75-80% a day), all cravings have subsided and I've got no urge to binge.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandilynn1313
WOE: Ketogenic/Nutritional Ketosis
Anjikun - too much B6 and too little B12 are also reasons for neuropathy, just as an aside.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hello everybody. Just your daily lurker checking in. Had a hard time finding you for Dec!
Hi shunsweets, just gotta say I love your username!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I to lost 1.8 that's now 167 again not back to my vacation weight of 164.2 but I'm working on it.
You no I must have ate enough of the nuts, cheese,and avocado .to trow me out of NK,cause I even felt a little depressed which I had not felt in a long time,but feeling so much better this morning.ya ya
Congrats, thats a nice bump down!

Quote:

Last month, I think, I got a huge steak and cooked it and I ended up eating the whole dang thing. Blew my calorie goal and my protein goal out of the water you sunk my battleship style. I lost like a pound and a half the next morning on the scale lol!!!
Isn't it strange how our body works? When I see a loss I wasn't expecting, I don't question it, just walk away and accept it haha! With a gain on the other hand.. I will overanalyze that sucker all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Hi everybody!

I had been posting on the other thread (wasn't originally aware of the difference), so some of you are aware that I had started NK but had to suspend my attempt due to severe symptoms of something amiss.

I actually went to the hospital Friday during the night with heart palpitations associated with dizzy spells--very scary! The doctors there took a very complete history and did several tests (which were normal). They say that ALL my symptoms point to thyroid problems, but they did not run the thyroid tests because they would have taken a long time to come back, and my family doctor already requested them (and the results should be in this week).
Hope you get some answers!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
You used the roasted garlic to make garlicky OO? Or you smeared the OO soaked roasted garlic on the chicken and other stuff?
I Roasted the garlic in the oven and then put the roasted cloves in a bowl w/EVOO (and some salt), then I took some of the cloves w/the OO and put that on my chicken- does that make sense? IT is too too yummy

Hi shunsweets! welcome- I like your handle name...i think sugar is evil
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
I Roasted the garlic in the oven and then put the roasted cloves in a bowl w/EVOO (and some salt), then I took some of the cloves w/the OO and put that on my chicken- does that make sense? IT is too too yummy
It makes all kinds of delicious sense! Yummy is right heh
Closed Thread