Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #1081
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Confession time: we had our office party tonight, and I kinda went overboard with the treats. Everyone brought their specialties, and there was a bit of pressure to try things that I wouldn't normally eat. I didn't go too far off plan (70/16/14), but I hadn't had alcohol in a long time and now I'm paying - my stomach is not happy. My boss makes some high-octane eggnog!

I expect I'll be out of ketosis for a few days, so I'm thinking of going low carb, but not NK until Christmas is over. I have a bad feeling I can look forward to induction flu over New Year's - it really hit me when I got into NK in October.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Red - Can you take a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
I'd like to give this a try. Could someone help me with my numbers?

46 Year Old Female
Large Frame
Height 5'8"
Current Weight - 188
Goal Weight - 160
Normal Carb Intake is between 25-30
Fairly Sedentary - Desk Job with some walking around the building

I've been lowcarb since 2005/2006 with the exception of about a year and a half after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and instead of staying lowcarb I tried eating all of the gluten free processed junk. My calories have been very low for years so I'm hoping upping them might help with weight loss. I got to 172 several years ago and maintained until the Celiac Diagnosis. I'd like to get down to 160. I'm Paleo for the most part as I don't eat grains or dairy.

Thanks In Advance!
Lisa
Red, It's good to see you back up and running....I've been lurking for a while but wanted to step out of the shadows, introduce myself and seek some help.

I found a keto calculator online that I got a baseline from that gave me the following info when I plugged in my current statistics:

1500 kcal Net Calories Consumed
25 g Carbohydrates (7%)
84 g Protein (22%)
118 g Fat (71%)

I track on ****** and I've managed to hit those numbers pretty closely for the last 2- 3 days and lo and behold this morning I woke up to see a slight drop in the scale to 187.8 but since I haven't had any movement on my weight in a month I'll take it and hope the trend continues! In the past I haven't been able to go over 1000 calories a day to lose any amount of weight so you're going to be able to knock me over with a feather if I continue to lose weight at 1500 calories a day!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #1083
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
worst stocking stuffer ever

Just checking in for accountability. I have not been logging my food, and have been making some horrible choices lately. Santa left me 4 extra pounds in my stocking, so just wanted to put it out there in writing: starting today I'm making Santa take those pounds right back to the North Pole. The elves can use them to stay warm.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #1084
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I am sick. I have been sick for a month now. Can't remember how much I have mentioned about it but it started out with what I thought were just bad allergies, my Dr. gave me a steroid shot. I was having horrible sinus headaches. Felt better but no improvenent on the headaches. Called Dr., he called in an antibiotic, took that, felt better, headache just as bad. Finished antibiotic, started feeling worse, called Dr. again on Thurs., he couldn't get me in so called in a stronger antibiotic, which I started yesterday. Headache just as bad. I have a history of pneumonia and yesterday my back started hurting, which is a warning sign for me. So, I stopped in my tracks and rested the rest of the day. Thank heavens I am ready for Christmas. Back and head still hurting today but just day 2 of new antibiotic so hoping this will fix me up. More rest today. This all equals not feeling up to cooking so havning to be creative about getting the right foods in, have several types of meat in the fridge so mostly meat and eggs.

Lost another 1/2 lb.

Sorry to be whiney but I feel kind of whiney right now.

I did ditch the cottage cheese yesterday.

Thankfully, I do have my homemade chicken brother in the freezer, that will come in very handy.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #1085
Big Yapper!!!!

Everyone, we are in a tough week of the year for us all to stick to our WOE. Do the very best you can, thankfully we are almost at the end of it and will be ready to give it our all at the first of the year. Enjoy family and friends and don't beat yourself up too much.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #1086
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Red, It's good to see you back up and running....I've been lurking for a while but wanted to step out of the shadows, introduce myself and seek some help.

I found a keto calculator online that I got a baseline from that gave me the following info when I plugged in my current statistics:

1500 kcal Net Calories Consumed
25 g Carbohydrates (7%)
84 g Protein (22%)
118 g Fat (71%)

I track on ****** and I've managed to hit those numbers pretty closely for the last 2- 3 days and lo and behold this morning I woke up to see a slight drop in the scale to 187.8 but since I haven't had any movement on my weight in a month I'll take it and hope the trend continues! In the past I haven't been able to go over 1000 calories a day to lose any amount of weight so you're going to be able to knock me over with a feather if I continue to lose weight at 1500 calories a day!
Well. The 84g of protein puts you at ~1.2g/kg which is a tiny bit low - about 25g or 100 cals of protein. But you are well over the .8g/kg bar that Phinney categorically said is too low for protein for an LC woe.

Calories are fairly low too with Phinney's 30kCal/kg resulting in about 2200.

I'm of two minds.

Your seeing results *and* (very importantly) you are not greatly under-consuming protein *and* (very importantly too) you are not slipping into the abyss of super low calorie consumption either although 1500 is still pretty low for you.

My other thought is to tweak a little (cals up and protein up).

Considering that stuff I'd say continue what you are doing. Take measurements and do not freak out about scale fluctuations. The trend over time is what is important.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #1087
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Lost another 1/2 lb.
Wow! Congrats!!

You were one of the very slow keto-adapters weren't you Buffy? I mean, like for a couple of months either no loss or up/down/up/even sort of stuff?

I reckon we need to get Mr. Buffy to yell at your body for being sick. Threatening it with a tree branch, a la Faulty Towers, might work. Basil certainly thought so.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #1088
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Just checking in for accountability. I have not been logging my food, and have been making some horrible choices lately. Santa left me 4 extra pounds in my stocking, so just wanted to put it out there in writing: starting today I'm making Santa take those pounds right back to the North Pole. The elves can use them to stay warm.
Hold up before you FedEx them pounds. You were too low. Remember?!? lol

Keep them. The gift of health for Christmas what a wonderful gift
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Red~ Eyes of the Dragon~ Great Story! The Stand~ One of my favorites

I loved the Hunt for Red October and gave it to my Dad, who also loved it.

Ludlum I haven't read but I'm always looking for a good story.

On a side note, two weeks a go one of my dogs ate two of my library books....$48 later.....
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #1090
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Red~ Eyes of the Dragon~ Great Story! The Stand~ One of my favorites

I loved the Hunt for Red October and gave it to my Dad, who also loved it.

Ludlum I haven't read but I'm always looking for a good story.

On a side note, two weeks a go one of my dogs ate two of my library books....$48 later.....
lol time for a dog shame pic

Yeah, The Stand was crazy awesome! I really need to read it again. I bet it has been 25 or more years since I read it. Eyes of the Dragon was so very cool. I wish he'd do more like that one.

You have to pick and choose your Ludlum as I recall. Some of his stuff can be pretty dry reading if he is the author I am remembering from decades ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #1091
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, It's good to see you back up and running....I've been lurking for a while but wanted to step out of the shadows, introduce myself and
Oh, sorry, heh, I forgot to say hello in that other post. Hiya

By the way, that is a really fantastic job you have done losing weight and keeping it off! Wow!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #1092
Blabbermouth!!!

If you need a good book or two then Dean Kootz is a great author too.

Twilight Eyes and Lightening Road are two of my favorites from him. In many ways I think he is a better King than King heh.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #1093
Blabbermouth!!!

The first Odd Thomas book by Kootz is super duper good too.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #1094
Big Yapper!!!!

Wish I had all those books at hand, I am going to get done what I have to do today and then go to bed to rest, would love some new reading material.

Yes, Red, I feel I was a slow adapter. Still in a little dis-belief at how I am losing now, not sure if it is that I have become keto adapted or some other quirk, hope it is that I have become ketoadapted. Lost 10 lbs of water weight, then I think 4 the next month, then 1 1/2-2 the next month and then a whoosh this month. I am very very thankful I stuck with this. And, the reason I think I did, while not seeing great losses, was the fact that my BS was in such tight control, I knew it had to be good for my health, which was my primary goal.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #1095
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
reddarin, I have to jump in here and ask you to rethink the calorie suggestions you are making. I would like to point out the P/V requirements are for energy EXPENDED, not daily calorie intake.

The amount of calories you keep recommending are WAY too high for weight loss. PLEASE re-read the book so we can truly help the new people lose weight instead of maintaining or gaining.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #1096
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't you have a Kindle Buffy?

I have to admit that being able to instantly get a new book is an amazing benefit to that type of reading device.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1097
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
reddarin, I have to jump in here and ask you to rethink the calorie suggestions you are making. I would like to point out the P/V requirements are for energy EXPENDED, not daily calorie intake.

The amount of calories you keep recommending are WAY too high for weight loss. PLEASE re-read the book so we can truly help the new people lose weight instead of maintaining or gaining.
i don't have the book, would you be willing to expand on what the highlighted area means a little more?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1098
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Sure!

The amount of calories you expend in a day may be 3000 calories if you weigh 250 lbs, but the amount you eat needs to be lower than that if you are to lose weight. The difference between what you eat and what you use, comes from your own fat. Your fat should make up the difference in calories between eating and using.

Does that make sense? P/V would suggest about 1600 calories for a 230lb, 5'10" male trying to lose 50 lbs.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #1099
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks! so how would figure cal amounts then, according to P/V?

what is the 30-35 cal/kg of goal weight amount that P suggests?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #1100
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
reddarin, I have to jump in here and ask you to rethink the calorie suggestions you are making.
Okay. I'm rethinking... Done! I still recommend 30-35kCal.

Quote:
I would like to point out the P/V requirements are for energy EXPENDED, not daily calorie intake.
What P/V requirements?

Quote:
The amount of calories you keep recommending are WAY too high for weight loss.
Oh?

Quote:
PLEASE re-read the book
What book?

Quote:
so we can truly help the new people lose weight instead of maintaining or gaining.
I'm pretty sure that I am actually helping people lose weight. Is that a royal we you are using? lol

Say. Did you notice that I frequently propose reducing calories if weight loss isn't happening but everything else is right? In fact, I mentioned it this morning, no?

You know, there is nothing magical about what I post in this thread. I lay out my thought process for pretty much everything I say regarding weight loss. Everyone can reach their own conclusions and proceed in a manner that they believe is best for themselves.

Everyone here is N of 1.

Listen to this before replying:

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #1101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Clancy really bowled me over with The Hunt for Red October. I couldn't put that book down. But I think I've only read one other book by him since that one and I've tried several different books.
Nice to see you back, Red. Love Clancy, especially the later ones. Love to follow his characters from book to book. Have read everything I can get at the library but know there are still a few more out there.

Thanks re:avi pic.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #1102
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't have a kindle but do have an Ipad. So, I guess I can d/load books to that, right? I have just never started doing that. Will have to check into it further. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

buffy, get the kindle app for ipad then you can buy anything in the kindle store on amazon.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Welcome back Major Red.....don't touch those nasty cigarettes...give yourself the gift of good health by keeping them out of your hands!

Buffy...sure hope you feel better soon...you probably exhausted yourself with all your toffee baking. I'm glad you are taking it easy.

Deborah.....you make me giggle....love your notes!

Blonde...sorry but the dog and library book story made me laugh out loud! Did the dog enjoy them??? (sorry)

CT....have fun with the friends, family and dogs!!!!

Everyone else...hang in there...this time of year is hard. but just imagine how great you'll feel on Jan 2 when people are groaning about the 5-10# they gained, and you can smile and say you lost!

Merry Christmas to those heading out and away from their computers!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
buffy, get the kindle app for ipad then you can buy anything in the kindle store on amazon.
Question.....can you get a "kindle ap" for a desktop computer (iMac)??? And, if so, how does it work?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1106
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Ok, thanks!!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1107
Big Yapper!!!!

What is the best tasting dill pickle out there? I bought a jar and they are so so, but I know there are better ones, just don't know what brand to buy?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
What is the best tasting dill pickle out there? I bought a jar and they are so so, but I know there are better ones, just don't know what brand to buy?
Mt. Olive Petite baby Dills
I also like vlassic dill chips.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #1109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Question.....can you get a "kindle ap" for a desktop computer (iMac)??? And, if so, how does it work?
yes!! same way as an app for an ipad. as soon as you open the kindle app it will download what you've bought.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #1110
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If we step into the WayBack machine we can say with certainty that Best Maid was the best dang dill pickle. And made in Texas (which it still is as far as I know). Being made in Texas puts it 99% of the way there - everyone can agree to that - but the solid good taste pushed it the rest of the way.

But... something went horribly wrong between 1984 and 1990. Sometime in there a schism in the space time continuum happened. We are stuck in the reality of Best Maid pickles sucking while those lucky souls on the other track still have the great tasting version. Dang it.

Vlasic is the current champion I guess but there is a distinct taste difference between the 'classic dill' and the 'kosher dill'.
Closed Thread