Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #1051
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Blonde, I eat some Greek yogurt and also some cottage cheese, yes, full fat. Think it is a YMMV thing, just have to try it and see what happens. I am more apt to take slow losses and deprive myself less, where for others, they would rather be very strict and perhaps have quicker loss. We are all so different.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #1052
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
You've really whooshed a lot since you started working so hard on toffee making...is there anything different you've been doing (other than slaving away daily)?

What does YMMV mean? I have really been in ultra induction mode, and my hunger is way down but I'm worried that I can't keep this strict forever. Being able to have some of the "LC" things I was eating before would be good.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #1053
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hey I miss Red, too. This is weird.

Let's talk food. I am getting my NK info from this thread since I don't have the Phinney book. Since I started I have stayed away from yogurt and cottage cheese, 2 things I love very much and I'm missing them. Is it okay to eat these foods as long as it's the full fat variety or is it better to stay away completely? I know I have put so many restrictions on myself already. Any opinions?
I'm not sure of the answer "technically", but when I tried them, I gained, and then asked the nutritionist who said "no no.....you can't have those right now, but maybe when you reach goal". So, I'll just pass along what she told me. Sorry...I used to LIVE for cottage cheese and greek yogurt! (both full fat)
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #1054
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi everyone! What a beautiful day here! I popped out at sunrise while walking to a early meeting, and the sky caught my breath! I hope each of you had a wonderful start to your day. We need to stop and be amazed at least once a day!
Raven, 5 inches!! Wow! That is a "to be proud of moment"!!
Cheryl, great loss, I think 1/2 lb is a celebration. I bet you are some fun at Christmas! Watching the excited children!
Becky, check in and do be careful.
Buffy! another lb!!! Keep making toffee! And walking is a great idea too! I will loan you my three dogs, they do not let you miss a day! Cats don't walk to they?
Oh Dazy! That is so good for him! I woke up at about 2am, and something told me it was going to be alright....smiling with you from ear to ear!
Hi Mobear! How are you doing!
Hi Shelley! I think we are all celebrating with Buffy! And I agree, no way Darin would leave us, he knows our types, we will hunt him down!
Blonde, I ate cottage cheese for a while, I think I am burned out. I only eat the whole fat kind, the person who invented no fat should be shot! Many eat yogurts, my DH loves the greek ones, I don't really like any of them. I may try some cottage cheese again, sounds pretty tasty about now. But I will not go back to the grocery store, no way, no how! YMMV is kinda funny to me..."your mileage may vary, or your results will vary"...!
Darin, are you in jail for running after the internet guys!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #1055
Senior LCF Member

OK you spoiled Texans with the sunshine!!!! We got a foot of snow overnight and I spent hours shoveling the deck while hubby plowed our way out of the driveway. The community plow truck didn't come until after lunch, so we were "snowed in" and unable to make our trek to town this morning. I have an 11 AM appt. with my trainer tomorrow and sure hope I can get out and that we don't have another repeat of more of the white stuff! But I'm so sore from shoveling for hours that I feel like cancelling and not moving!!!! (unfortunately this is true)

Major Red...this is getting serious! Come out!!!! Please show your face and red hair! We miss you!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1056
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi everyone! What a beautiful day here! I popped out at sunrise while walking to a early meeting, and the sky caught my breath! I hope each of you had a wonderful start to your day. We need to stop and be amazed at least once a day!
Raven, 5 inches!! Wow! That is a "to be proud of moment"!!
Cheryl, great loss, I think 1/2 lb is a celebration. I bet you are some fun at Christmas! Watching the excited children!
Becky, check in and do be careful.
Buffy! another lb!!! Keep making toffee! And walking is a great idea too! I will loan you my three dogs, they do not let you miss a day! Cats don't walk to they?
Oh Dazy! That is so good for him! I woke up at about 2am, and something told me it was going to be alright....smiling with you from ear to ear!
Hi Mobear! How are you doing!
Hi Shelley! I think we are all celebrating with Buffy! And I agree, no way Darin would leave us, he knows our types, we will hunt him down!
Blonde, I ate cottage cheese for a while, I think I am burned out. I only eat the whole fat kind, the person who invented no fat should be shot! Many eat yogurts, my DH loves the greek ones, I don't really like any of them. I may try some cottage cheese again, sounds pretty tasty about now. But I will not go back to the grocery store, no way, no how! YMMV is kinda funny to me..."your mileage may vary, or your results will vary"...!
Darin, are you in jail for running after the internet guys!!!
Oh yeah we are partying tomorrow!
I bought all kindsa good junk and am gonna have a house full. School kids
The sunrise here was amazing this morning. It was really something. I called my mom and told her to go look. It was beautiful
I wouldn't mind a few flakes but were getting alot of rain. A chance of a few flurries tomorrow afternoon Wouldn't that get my kids going??
I hope we get some. Tomorrow is the wildest day of the year for my daycare kids. We gonna have some fun
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #1057
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Just check in had a great trip traffic was heavy!!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #1058
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK you spoiled Texans with the sunshine!!!! We got a foot of snow overnight and I spent hours shoveling the deck while hubby plowed our way out of the driveway. The community plow truck didn't come until after lunch, so we were "snowed in" and unable to make our trek to town this morning. I have an 11 AM appt. with my trainer tomorrow and sure hope I can get out and that we don't have another repeat of more of the white stuff! But I'm so sore from shoveling for hours that I feel like cancelling and not moving!!!! (unfortunately this is true)

Major Red...this is getting serious! Come out!!!! Please show your face and red hair! We miss you!
Oh my with the snow...we Texans (at least in my area of the state) would not have a clue what to do with that much snow! We act rather silly with the every ten years inch or so! I don't think we have one plow truck at all...I have watched the weather a bit and worried about many travelling right now. You all out in winterwonderlands be careful!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1059
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
You've really whooshed a lot since you started working so hard on toffee making...is there anything different you've been doing (other than slaving away daily)?

What does YMMV mean? I have really been in ultra induction mode, and my hunger is way down but I'm worried that I can't keep this strict forever. Being able to have some of the "LC" things I was eating before would be good.
I have to say I am baffled on the whoosh. The one difference is being way busier than usual along with a period of very little appetite so I didnt worry about anything except getting protein in, I would guess my calories were lower bc about all i was eating was meat. My appetite has come back last night and today but not a lot. Wish I knew what caused it, I would share it gladly.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #1060
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Still here reading every day. Jumping in to keep the thread alive while everyone is so busy and traveling, and Red is obviously out of commission. We're trying to go over the Sierras for Christmas, to the bay area of California, however large storm is hitting just as we want to go. Not sure what will actually happen.

Love reading about all the successes. Everyone seems content on this WOE.

Still on plan. After following LC for so many years, off and on, so surprised by the body's different reaction this time. Losing inches but not pounds. Still success but not what we usually see - lost pounds. I think I'm down around 8" off the body, did not measure early on. (Head up newbies, do measure right away.) But tossing only two pounds around like a volleyball. Happy but so different! It's the fat that is the difference. Do not fear fat! My brain loves it and I'm getting smaller with it, and it keeps the appetite at bay. I'm into this going on four months. Normally, I would have lost 5 pounds in 2-3 months and given up by now after I hit a wall and stopped losing. I'm loving this new feeling so much I will be doing this into the spring this time. Pounds lost or not.

Just hunted through referigerator for something to eat, not hungry. Found leftover cooked bacon, heated it up, put thin sliced cheese on top, a sprinkle of black olives and guess what -- instant bacon pizza. Really good.

Have a very Happy and Peaceful Holiday everyone! Dot
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #1061
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Just check in had a great trip traffic was heavy!!
Glad you checked in and had a good trip. I bet traffic was awful. It is terrible just around here.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #1062
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Becky, thanks for letting us know your trip went well, heavy traffic is never good.

Desert Rose, thanks for checking in as well. Yes, our thread is barely crawling right here at Christmas. I hope Red gets back to us soon and livens us up. Maybe he doubles as an elf this time of year?

Blonde, I had not had cottage cheese for quite a while, bought and ate some the past 2 days. Both mornings after I had low ketone readings, both days 0.3. The zone I want to be in is 0.5 - 3.00. Mine are usually between 0.5 and 1.5. So, maybe the cottage cheese is not a good idea for me? I will lay off it for a few days and see what happens. So I may have spoke too soon in saying that I could eat it. Most of the dairy I do eat is like cream, cream cheese, butter, etc. I use almond milk and don't eat a lot of other cheese.

Bought some ham to make some ham rollups and have the CC softened for that, I like them wrapped around a dill pickle.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #1063
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GoIrishGo
So I am curious about Potassium. I purchased some potassium gluconate 550 mg. It says on the back "Potassium ( From Potassium Gluconate 550 mg ) 90 Mg" - So am I getting 550 mg or 90 mg per tablet? I know you don't want to take too much potassium.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1064
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
Still here reading every day. Jumping in to keep the thread alive while everyone is so busy and traveling, and Red is obviously out of commission. We're trying to go over the Sierras for Christmas, to the bay area of California, however large storm is hitting just as we want to go. Not sure what will actually happen.

Love reading about all the successes. Everyone seems content on this WOE.

Still on plan. After following LC for so many years, off and on, so surprised by the body's different reaction this time. Losing inches but not pounds. Still success but not what we usually see - lost pounds. I think I'm down around 8" off the body, did not measure early on. (Head up newbies, do measure right away.) But tossing only two pounds around like a volleyball. Happy but so different! It's the fat that is the difference. Do not fear fat! My brain loves it and I'm getting smaller with it, and it keeps the appetite at bay. I'm into this going on four months. Normally, I would have lost 5 pounds in 2-3 months and given up by now after I hit a wall and stopped losing. I'm loving this new feeling so much I will be doing this into the spring this time. Pounds lost or not.

Just hunted through referigerator for something to eat, not hungry. Found leftover cooked bacon, heated it up, put thin sliced cheese on top, a sprinkle of black olives and guess what -- instant bacon pizza. Really good.

Have a very Happy and Peaceful Holiday everyone! Dot
Dot...hope you haven't left yet. As a woman who has lived in Alaska and No. Idaho in the deep snow for about 15 years, here is my advice for your drive.

Pack food and bottles of water! Pack clothing to wear in case you get stuck...ie., hats, scarves, gloves, heavy duty jackets, and please have sleeping bags for each person in the car. My winter car has all of the above at all times, even driving 11 miles to the store! As long as you are prepared, you will be fine.

We have been stuck going over the Snoqualmie Pass over to W. WA on many occasions...sometimes they stop to do avalanche control, and we'll be sitting in the car for up to 6 hours. Oh...take toilet paper too! You might have to trek up the hill behind a tree! We used to see a poor mom who was NOT prepared with winter gear walking 1-2 kids behind trees all the time. Not fun. If you are prepared, you will have a wonderful time and amazing scenery!!!! Enjoy!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #1065
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Hi ya'll

I'm back call off the search parties!

Did anyone else read that King book 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'? The search party thing made me think of it. Really excellent book but he was for sure on a roll back in the 90's lol.

I'm so happy to hear that that young boy made it through. I just heard that Sarah McLaughlin song a few hours ago again so apropos.

Really been struggling with the urge to smoke the last several days. I know that physically the addiction is broken and has been for weeks now but mentally whew I am still having some tough days out of nowhere occasionally. I think I am past the 60 day mark too.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #1066
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GoIrishGo
Hey Red, I'm new here and posted some questions regarding calories and such, seems like the opinion of the board is to have you look things over :-) On the smoking, have you ever tried an electronic cigarette? I was a heavy smoker and quit using an electronic cigarette 3 years ago.. and it was honestly the easiest transition I've ever made. Nothing worked for me before.. cold turkey, patches, welbutrin ( sp? ), the gum, etc. The E-cig really made it easy, and the key for me was finding one that was a quality built device. I was able to quite smoking without turning back within days of use. I still use the e-cig on occasion, just in times that I know I could crave a cigarette ( if having drinks or sometimes with a coffee ). Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi ya'll

I'm back call off the search parties!

Did anyone else read that King book 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'? The search party thing made me think of it. Really excellent book but he was for sure on a roll back in the 90's lol.

I'm so happy to hear that that young boy made it through. I just heard that Sarah McLaughlin song a few hours ago again so apropos.

Really been struggling with the urge to smoke the last several days. I know that physically the addiction is broken and has been for weeks now but mentally whew I am still having some tough days out of nowhere occasionally. I think I am past the 60 day mark too.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #1067
Major LCF Poster!

Glad your back Red!!!
The cigerette craving go on for a long time I have heard. But every day you are moving forward. and getting farther away from more cravings.
You can do it.
We missed you!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #1068
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hey Red, welcome back! Sorry about the cig cravings. I'm five months into non-smoking and it wasn't my first rodeo either. Hang in, it'll be okay and if you have to buy another big bag of almonds then do it. Or get some sunflower seeds.

I love Stephen King, his old stuff and his new. Tom Gordon was a good one. I just finished 11/22/63 and I really liked it.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #1069
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrishGo View Post
Hey Red, I'm new here and posted some questions regarding calories and such, seems like the opinion of the board is to have you look things over :-) On the smoking, have you ever tried an electronic cigarette? I was a heavy smoker and quit using an electronic cigarette 3 years ago.. and it was honestly the easiest transition I've ever made. Nothing worked for me before.. cold turkey, patches, welbutrin ( sp? ), the gum, etc. The E-cig really made it easy, and the key for me was finding one that was a quality built device. I was able to quite smoking without turning back within days of use. I still use the e-cig on occasion, just in times that I know I could crave a cigarette ( if having drinks or sometimes with a coffee ). Just a thought.
Hiya

I saw your post and I'll try to answer whatever questions you have brother.

The e-cigs... I actually had been using them for the last year or so. I quit smoking in my truck for a while by just using them whenever I was driving somewhere. But I am afraid that, for me, using them will just gateway me back to the real thing. There were several times when I was in a situation where I couldn't light up but I had an e-smoke with me and loved taking some puffs undetected. In fact, I'd gotten my first e-cigs way back then with the idea of quitting the real smokes by switching and then tapering off the virtual version by transitioning down the nicotine levels. That is why I can't use them now though.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #1070
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks ya'll

Ugh! Sunflower seeds lol don't wanna get hooked on them again!

I haven't read any King in a while. Maybe since finishing the Dark Tower series not too long after that last book came out and he wrapped everything up.

What was that book he wrote for his kid(s)? Dragon Tears? Dragon Eyes? I can say one line and you'd know if you read it but that'd be a little bit of a spoiler so I don't want to do that. Hmmm. Well anyway. The man is just an excellent story teller.

I like his type of story much more than, say, Clive Barker. Barker is way to gritty for me. I read that one book of his about the Razor God (?) and that was the last one I read from him lol.

You know who reminds me of King for pure story telling? L. Ron Hubbard. Yup. The fantastic Mission Earth series?!? Hysterical stuff and an excellent tale. And, of course, that stand alone book that they felt needed to be made into an awful movie - Battlefield Earth - the book being a great story and the movie being a travesty. Hubbard has the same knack that King has for pulling you into what is going on.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #1071
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrishGo View Post
So I am curious about Potassium. I purchased some potassium gluconate 550 mg. It says on the back "Potassium ( From Potassium Gluconate 550 mg ) 90 Mg" - So am I getting 550 mg or 90 mg per tablet? I know you don't want to take too much potassium.
We'll have to wait for one of our medically savvy thread people to weigh-in and tell us what the deal is for this one. I think it is the 99mg that is the salient number though. The pharmacist at the store can tell you if you are there before it gets answered here.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1072
Blabbermouth!!!

Buffy! Congrats on the losses!!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #1073
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I have officially fallen off the wagon. Just decided that stressing about food was something I did not want to do for the next couple weeks. As I have not lost anything since October, I decided to go with the flow for the holidays and see which way the scale goes. Then decide what to do based on that. I am even taking a break from logging calories, etc. as that has truely become an obsession.

That said, I am happy to have some pretty good habits established and like this woe so don't expect to stray too far except for holiday events.
Great pic for your avatar Cici! Redheads of the world unite!! heh

Taking a little break during a stall is not a bad idea. I know I stopped logging and paying close attention to what I was doing when I was stalled for months. I kept LC but that was about it.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1074
Senior LCF Member

Hi to all! Wow, Darin is back, jump for joy, we were getting a tad worried about you! Glad you beat back the urge to smoke! I've watched a few folks quit, it seemed to be an individual thing, two went through as you did; one just quit and was fine. Go figure. Same way we all do with diet and weight loss! Red heads rule! I have the darker kind now...strawberry blonde as a kiddo!
Irish, the max on Potassium is 99mg per tab, try not to pay attention to the other number, it's odd how they present it; mine has the same dosage; this is one of those things to be careful about taking. Are you on any other meds? If so, consult with your Pharmacist or physician; you do not want to cause issues, you really won't feel well. I take two a day on NK, when on LC I didn't take any. That said, if I consume a lot of nuts, avocado, broth, I will cut to one that day. The very best thing is to eat rich sources of potassium, we need a lot of potassium it daily; but NK limits that for us; thus the need to supplement. on one of these threads I posted the best foods for it; November maybe? Remember to start all supplements slowly, one tab at a time. Glad you are still hanging with us!
Hi Blonde! All the book talk makes me want to get my boxes down and find the old books! My first favorite is Robert Ludlum. I was so sad when he had that last heart attack! King is great too; Clancy is wonderful, especially with kindle, his darn books were too heavy to carry around.
Hi Cheryl! I hope you had a great time today with the kids!
Hi Shelley, you are so right about packing the car! We do the same during hurricane season, and evacuations can be up to two-three days.
Dot, glad you checked in with us, so nice to hear you are so adapted and happy. We feel that too!
Hi Buffy! I think cottage cheese bounces me a bit. I will wait and try it later, maybe when I ever get to goal. Ham wraps with cream cheese, have to try that, wrap around a dill pickle!!!
DD1 just drove in, again with four dogs in the house! There are sooo many feet now! Tomorrow we go to my BFF house, stay overnight for niece's graduation party! Fun! They are LC, so that makes it better! Will check back in Sunday night. Everyone have a great weekend. ct
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1075
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
"My question is, how many calories should I eat?"
When I first heard that 30/35kCal formula from Phinney I was certain that it was skewed upwards because Phinney is an exercise-nut type of doctor. Well, maybe not like your average exercise is the answer to all problems zomboid doctor like so many of the high-carb mainstreamers but he is an avid biker and an avid (I think) believer in the benefits of fitness. I say all that to say this - his idea of sedentary and exactly how slothful some of us sedentary peoples can be are miles apart lol.

It is an interesting side issue on perception but we can save that for later.

The answer is: Use the sedentary calculation as your target because you are indeed very sedentary. Hit that number, or real close to it, for a week or two and see how it is working. Even if you gain a little do not worry about that. After you have stabilized and you know that you are steadily gaining a little or staying level at that figure then start gradually reducing by, say, 200 calories a whack. Like, 2700 for a week, then 2500 for a week, then 2300, etc.

The plan is to find the base line and work from there. You want to eat as much as possible to lose weight. You super low-cal lurkers need to read that line again and let it sink in because it is profound despite the simple understatement.

Quote:
Another question - When I was on atkins forum in the past and had a hard time losing I was told to "watch out for cream, nuts, sugar free sweetners, and excess cheese.
The answer is: Atkins is a bit different because generally speaking you don't do macros or count calories. Cream and cheese tend to be high calorie so you can stall yourself by eating too many calories with those things while on Atkins. Nuts are very easy to over-consume and push your carbs too high. SF stuff can produce an insulin response which stalls some people so that is why that is usually brought up. If you are doing Atkins and it isn't working those things you listed are the likely reasons.

Atkins also has levels or stages and some or all of those things are not allowed at all on the lower levels. Even when they are reintroduced they may be greatly restricted in quantity.

NK, on the other hand, is all about the macros even if you are not tracking them per se. The protein grams are set - eat that every day. The carb grams are set - eat less than 50g total. Eat fat to satiety. Fat ends up being the biggest part of your macro pie because protein and carbs are 4 cals per gram so eating the right amount of both is going to be dang few calories all things considered. Phinney set the NK range for the fat macro at 65% to 85%.

So you need to eat lots of good LC healthy mono and sat fats. Coconut oil, cheese and heavy whipping cream can be excellent sources. The HWC floats are very tasty.

Quote:
"Goal weight - 200, but honestly I could probably weigh 190, I don't know"
Go back to the intro post on the first page and check your frame size by measuring your wrist. Then google the phrase I posted to determine the right weight range for yourself. It is important so that you get the protein goal correctly set. If 'normal' LC isn't answering for you then I think NK is unlikely to work any better if you are off on protein (assuming you don't lose LBM by eating too little protein or too few calories). A goal weight that is substantially too high will throw off your protein goal.

Quote:
I've been eating over the past week a lot of macadamia nuts, almost butters,
Be very careful about nut butters and nuts in general. It is very easy to over-consume and blow your total carbs (from the nuts themselves or from that plus added sugar in the butters) and/or eat a zillion calories. Since you are just starting out with NK I think you should avoid them entirely. At least until you have a real handle on what you are doing and your body is responding.

Quote:
Workout routine - Nothing as of now, was doing weight training but stopped
Exercise is not required for weight loss.

Quote:
Today, this is what I've eaten so far..
That looks like a fairly low calorie day to me, no? Unless that is one big honking snack you have planned for the end of the day. Check your mayo to make sure it is not soy oil based as so many of them are. Ditch it if it is soy based.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1076
Blabbermouth!!!

Was that Ludlum that wrote The Brotherhood of the Rose?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1077
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Clancy is wonderful, especially with kindle, his darn books were too heavy to carry around.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #1078
Blabbermouth!!!

Clancy really bowled me over with The Hunt for Red October. I couldn't put that book down. But I think I've only read one other book by him since that one and I've tried several different books.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Thanks Shelley for the reminders about traveling in the mountains. If it gets too bad, we just won't go. We used to live over there, now travel back for visits. So we've crossed the mountains in many a weather situation. Now we won't go if it is too bad.

Had a few pieces of Sees candy the last two days. But only allowed very dark chocolate covered nuts in the house. So far so good. It has lost its temptation as I walk by it.

Dot
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #1080
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Buffy- regarding the cottage cheese, I also have problems with yogurt and cottage cheese - I think they both stall my weight loss.

However, if I eat aged cheeses (such as blue cheese or parmesan) or butter, then I have no problems.

I think this is because in aged, high fat cheese, the bacteria have consumed the lactose (a form of sugar), leaving only fat and protein. For example, many people who are lactose intolerant can eat quality aged cheeses with no subsequent stomach problems. And in butter, there is only a very small amount of lactose, as it is mostly fat.

Chris Kesser shows, on his blog, that pasteurized versions of lower fat dairy have a significant effect on insulin. He also recommends only eating very high fat dairy products and trying to stay away from the cheap, pasteurized dairy.
Closed Thread