Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #931
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Just got home from dr..got to have a cyst cut out of my leg it's getting big going to have it done next month,,my BP was 97/74 pretty good..weight up .2 water
Wow your BP is amazing!
Glad it is just a cyst. Will they put you to sleep?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #932
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all, just checking in to say hello, I am reading through the thread. First day of winter break was lazy, lazy, lazy-- after I cleaned my house for 5 hours
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #933
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi all, just checking in to say hello, I am reading through the thread. First day of winter break was lazy, lazy, lazy-- after I cleaned my house for 5 hours
Hmmm, am I mistaken here for not thinking that sounds lazy once, let alone 3 times Cleaning is hard work!!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #934
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Just got home from a holiday party. This is the first time since I started NK back on Sept. 3rd that I ate things I knew I should not. Started out with salad with ranch, some cheese off the cheese plate I brought, skipped the bread, had a fruit salad that did have some sugar in the dressing, and grapes, and a teeny bit of the chicken spaghetti, but, they brought in the dessert and I just gave in, had a medium size serving of that and it was full on carbs. I just tested and my ketone reading was .3 and BG 92, so I think I will be ok as long as I am full throttle back on plan tomorrow. This happened one other time when I ate something I didn't realize was carby and my ketones tested .3 so I am hoping it won't knock me out to where it takes me several days to get back in. Had even eaten some meat before I went, not sure what came over me?

I feel bad but don't really feel like I am going to get up tomorrow and want to eat carbs, that little bit was plenty but I was surprised that I did it.
Quote:
Hmmm, am I mistaken here for not thinking that sounds lazy once, let alone 3 times Cleaning is hard work!!
And that is exactly why I'm rewarding myself with 2 glasses of red wine tonight!

Sidenote, wondering if anyone has experienced this.. for the past 2 days, I haven't been hungry at all even though I'm not back in ketosis after cheating off and on the whole week. By mid afternoon, around 3:30,(past 2 days), my upper abdomen was so bloated/swollen, it was really uncomfortable. Same thing today as well? Here were my eats:

Yesterday:
8 am: 4T HWC w/ diet root beer
12:30- 2 c mixed greens w/ 2 HB eggs and 1T EVOO
3:00-small chix csr salad
8: 2 eggs, 1.5 oz cheddar cheese, 1T butter

Today:
8:30A: coffee w/ 1T HWC
11A: 4 wings w/ 1T ranch
2P: broccoli and cheese casserole
7P: small chx csr salad

I feel awful and bloated.. Mon and Tues I was SO STRESSED from finals that I ended up vomiting back up every single thing I tried to eat. Would that have anything to do with it?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #935
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Shelley, I have to admit, that has so few ingredients that it is hard to think it turns out like cake, but so easy, I think I will take your recommendation and try it. Thanks.
Forgot to mention that I put a tbsp of butter on top to melt and then it is outrageously delicious!!!!! And remember, I'm not a chocolate fan.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #936
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Hi Cici!

Thanks for your input. In fact, I never drink any caffeine at all. Because of that I've been working an alternative to bulletproof coffee. For now I'm doing bulletproof bullion--it's not bad!
I make BPC with Stash decaf chai tea...oh my is it delicious!!!! Just the tea, butter and coconut oil! YUM!!!! i think this would definitely beat the bullion, and it's decaffinated!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #937
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, this is definitely very, very helpful. Thank you so much!

I'm certain that my doctor will not Rx anything at all. I don't know if naturopaths can Rx in Quebec, but I can certainly find out! Do you have any good resources you can suggest about how to treat this on my own? I've read the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" site, but it doesn't go into much detail.
If you are in Quebec, call a local pharmacy and ask them what docs naturopaths in your area Rx ERFA thyroid (it's the American Armour). I get my meds from Canada. Love the stuff. They changed the fillers in Armour and sold the original "recipe" and patent to Erfa of Canada. So, lucky you, it's made right up there in Canada. You can look line for pharmacies that Rx it. There are MANY!!!!! Contact any of them and ask what docs or naturopaths you could see to get some!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #938
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts! I have wondered about low BP, as many of my symptoms do seem to correspond with that, and I do notice that they seem worse when I don't drink enough. I have had a few low BP readings over the years when it was taken in doctor's offices. Maybe I will buy one of those blood pressure things so I can check it at home.

As for the magnesium, I am taking 250 mg twice a day. Maybe I will up it and see if that helps...
I've also had low BP and low temps all my life. Usually it's about 90/60 but has been 86/46 on occasion. It goes hand and hand with hypothyroid symptoms (and sometimes low adrenals). Do you have a hard time driving at night with the bright lights?!!?!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #939
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I've also had low BP and low temps all my life. Usually it's about 90/60 but has been 86/46 on occasion. It goes hand and hand with hypothyroid symptoms (and sometimes low adrenals). Do you have a hard time driving at night with the bright lights?!!?!
wow.. i hve these problems too.. Thought the bright light thing was unrelated...
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #940
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
haven't posted here in awhile. i have taken to weighing once a week, on friday mornings...not this today, however...lol...too many things stacked against me that i know would cause the scale to be up and i just didn't need that sort of mocking this morning.

eating is going well. i have decided to eat in a calorie range of 1600-2100. alternating cals every day to keep the bod guessing. protein numbers always met carbs always <50 total with varying cals (ie: fat g).

question: how would you eat on a road trip? i am taking a little 7hr jaunt to st louis today and am trying to plan what to take. i'm thinking nuts...coconut butter truffles...possibly some hwc that i can pour some diet root beer into (haven't tried that yet). don't have time for hard boiled eggs.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #941
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post

question: how would you eat on a road trip? i am taking a little 7hr jaunt to st louis today and am trying to plan what to take. i'm thinking nuts...coconut butter truffles...possibly some hwc that i can pour some diet root beer into (haven't tried that yet). don't have time for hard boiled eggs.
Be careful with those nuts, so easy to overdo. Cheese cubes or sticks, raw veggies with or without suitable dip, slim jims/beef jerky. Have fun on your trip!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #942
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
thanks, deborah...it's a mixed bag of a trip. :/ i get to see and stay with one of my besties, but the primary reason i'm going is to spend time with a dear family at the children's hospital. their 7 yr old little boy is waiting for his 2nd heart transplant. right now the only thing keeping him alive is a mechanical heart called a berlin heart (a truly fascinating device if you care to look it up). but i think he is off the transplant list right now b/c of some brain hemorrhaging caused by the blood thinners he has to be on with the mechanical heart. thankfully, he is not having any psychological problems from the bleeding which the neurosurgeon doesn't understand. so any extra prayers you have for the little guy and his mama and daddy would be greatly appreciated. tomorrow he turns 7 and we are going to have a birthday party for him.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #943
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
My prayers are fervently with him.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #944
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
dazy- I'm sorry to hear about your friends' son (and his family of course). Road trips are hard w/food if not properly prepared. What I did was took a bunch of cream cheese and green olives- they taste well together, CC seems to be a good idea b/c it is higher fat, lower carbs, and mod. protein. Olives are good b/c they are salty- w/ lower prot. and carbs. That is what i rely on when cooking is hard- plus it is pretty easy to get.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #945
Senior LCF Member

Mizzcase- congrats on finishing your finals- I know the feeling well! Enjoy your break from school!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #946
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I make BPC with Stash decaf chai tea...oh my is it delicious!!!! Just the tea, butter and coconut oil! YUM!!!! i think this would definitely beat the bullion, and it's decaffinated!
that sounds yummy- I might have to try it when i'm trying to think of ways to add more fat into my diet- definitely not a problem currently
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #947
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Dazy, good to hear from you and prayers for the dear little one. Another thing to take while on car trips is pork rinds, celery sticks, ham rollups.

I am doing fine, just so short on time, as everyone else is this time of year. We have to take a road trip Sunday, our youngest grandson turns 2 and his birthday party is tomorrow. 4 hour there, the party and 4 hours back. That will be a fun but tiring day. Have too much to do on both Saturday and Monday to spend the night so will make the trip all in one day.

Out to shop and run errands today, hope to finish up all my Christmas shopping.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #948
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Quote:
OMG, so funny--I was actually in the process of making some decaf Chai tea right when I read this post! I put heavy cream in that, which is also pretty yummy
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #949
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you are in Quebec, call a local pharmacy and ask them what docs naturopaths in your area Rx ERFA thyroid (it's the American Armour). I get my meds from Canada. Love the stuff. They changed the fillers in Armour and sold the original "recipe" and patent to Erfa of Canada. So, lucky you, it's made right up there in Canada. You can look line for pharmacies that Rx it. There are MANY!!!!! Contact any of them and ask what docs or naturopaths you could see to get some!
Thanks, I will definitely find out about this!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #950
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't drive anymore--haven't driven in years (I live in Montreal, so no need to drive). I remember hating driving at night though.

Do you know what the mechanism is that would tie all these things together (low BP, low thyroid, low adrenals)? Are adrenals partially responsible for regulating BP? I've looked up all the basic info on the net relating to low blood pressure, but it doesn't seem to go into much depth.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #951
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thanks, deborah...it's a mixed bag of a trip. :/ i get to see and stay with one of my besties, but the primary reason i'm going is to spend time with a dear family at the children's hospital. their 7 yr old little boy is waiting for his 2nd heart transplant. right now the only thing keeping him alive is a mechanical heart called a berlin heart (a truly fascinating device if you care to look it up). but i think he is off the transplant list right now b/c of some brain hemorrhaging caused by the blood thinners he has to be on with the mechanical heart. thankfully, he is not having any psychological problems from the bleeding which the neurosurgeon doesn't understand. so any extra prayers you have for the little guy and his mama and daddy would be greatly appreciated. tomorrow he turns 7 and we are going to have a birthday party for him.
So sorry to hear about this. How terribly, terribly hard that must be for the whole family.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #952
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Good Morning ALL! I have happy news. Down 1.8lbs from my last report. I feel good. I'm not hungry. I'm happy.
Congrats!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #953
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That is so terrible for this little boy and his family. I hope he recovers and lives a long happy life.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #954
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hey got my blood work back...not good according to my doctor.

Cholesterol is 288. 191 bad but good HDL is 97
Blood sugar 118 (last ime it was 95).

Sh wants to see me to discuss Lipitor. Crap. I don't want that.

Opinions please??
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #955
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Opinions please??
Google 'cholesterol jimmy moore' for a lot of good information about it. Particularly the podcast 'ATLCX (Episode 29): Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?' but there is at least one more with Dr. Dayspring that is very good too.

There is also a great podcast about dealing with non-LC doctors and that is what that doc is right there - 'Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 8): ‘What Questions Should I Ask My (Non-Low-Carb Friendly) Doc?’ | Dr. Mary Vernon'. In particular, the response is "I'd like to pursue lifestyle methods to address the issue ...." and Dr. Vernon points out that doctors often *must* Rx and recommend specific drugs, like statins, for specific test results or they get penalized. It is very formulaic and rigid but that is not the case for all doctors. At any rate, Dr. Vernon says that if you have to accept the Rx for whatever reason, including helping your doc with their professional obligations, you don't have to fill the Rx for it to count for the doc as "this box has been check marked". Stupid but true.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #956
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't drive anymore--haven't driven in years (I live in Montreal, so no need to drive). I remember hating driving at night though.

Do you know what the mechanism is that would tie all these things together (low BP, low thyroid, low adrenals)? Are adrenals partially responsible for regulating BP? I've looked up all the basic info on the net relating to low blood pressure, but it doesn't seem to go into much depth.
Sorry...I"m not in the medical profession to answer those questions. I did have low adrenals (24 hour saliva test confirmed) and also low thyroid (confirmed with FT4 and FT3 testing). BP results can be from so many things. I have also always had low blood sodium levels, so I salt the heck out of everything. I got strange looks in my youth going to Mexican restaurants salting the salted chips (and of course don't touch that type of food anymore) My B and D levels were also low. There are so many interactions in the body that there is no "one way" to determine it. You just have to test it all and see what works in your body and what isn't and then move to fix it. It's not a quick process. took me 2 years. The bright light thing (whether it's sun and requiring sunglasses and still having issues, or driving at night with the headlights) is adrenal in most cases from what my knowledge is. It was for me. Not that I'm optimized, I don't have a problem with the bright lights anymore...and like the sunshine!!! :-)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #957
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Opinions please??
These meds have MAJOR side effects, and doctors tend to describe them as a knee-jerk reaction. Chris Kresser has a lot of good information about cholesterol on his site. You can also read a lot about it in "Good Calories/Bad Calories" and Jimmy Moore has done a number of podcasts dealing with this issue. Chris Kresser probably also has a podcast dealing with it.

If this were me, I would research it very thoroughly (with an emphasis on Kresser's perspective) before I would consider taking this medication.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #958
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Google 'cholesterol jimmy moore' for a lot of good information about it. Particularly the podcast 'ATLCX (Episode 29): Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?' but there is at least one more with Dr. Dayspring that is very good too.

There is also a great podcast about dealing with non-LC doctors and that is what that doc is right there - 'Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 8): ‘What Questions Should I Ask My (Non-Low-Carb Friendly) Doc?’ | Dr. Mary Vernon'. In particular, the response is "I'd like to pursue lifestyle methods to address the issue ...." and Dr. Vernon points out that doctors often *must* Rx and recommend specific drugs, like statins, for specific test results or they get penalized. It is very formulaic and rigid but that is not the case for all doctors. At any rate, Dr. Vernon says that if you have to accept the Rx for whatever reason, including helping your doc with their professional obligations, you don't have to fill the Rx for it to count for the doc as "this box has been check marked". Stupid but true.
Quote:
These meds have MAJOR side effects, and doctors tend to describe them as a knee-jerk reaction. Chris Kresser has a lot of good information about cholesterol on his site. You can also read a lot about it in "Good Calories/Bad Calories" and Jimmy Moore has done a number of podcasts dealing with this issue. Chris Kresser probably also has a podcast dealing with it.

If this were me, I would research it very thoroughly (with an emphasis on Kresser's perspective) before I would consider taking this medication.
Thank you, thank you! I also got a private message with great info too and I will show up at my doctor's fully armed and ready to buck the system.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #959
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Found it. Have no idea who posted it or when...I just cut and pasted it in an email to myself and have it in my lowcarb recipe folder. I do "mine" in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. Just take a spoon and eat!! ha ha My notes are after the ** parts.

Here it is:

Flourless 3-minute chocolate cake
I was playing around with the 3 minute cake and decided to leave out the almond flour/flax, etc..It turned out pretty good:

1 egg, beaten well
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. heavy cream
2 Tbs. cocoa (**my note: I use 1 TBSP now and it tastes the same as 2 to me)
10 tsp. of sweetener of your choice (this time I added 5 packets of Splenda) (** I think I use less each time)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. softened butter

In a small bowl, beat egg with fork and add in the rest of the ingredients until
a smooth batter is formed. (**doesn't get really smooth, but close!)

Pour into a cup which will hold 8 ounces. (** I use a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup)

Microwave for one minute..

The carb count would depend on the sweetener. You could use Davinici syrup..I don't think it would affect the texture of the cake..But, without the sweetener, you would have .7 carb for the egg and 2 NET carbs for the cocoa powder
Shelley, I made this tonight. Yum. I would like to use some Davinici syrup next time. I put in a real fancy dish and put some whipped cream on top. Felt guilty, but wasn't!!!!!

Arlene
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #960
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all, wow, most must be very busy today! Catching some rest this evening, DH is sick...not pretty!
Dazy, sorry to hear about the 7yo, he's in our prayers, that must be so hard on everyone.
Hi Mizz, trips are the hardest for me, but my little cooler does well for all the same things Buffy and Deborah suggested. If there's a hotel with refrig I take thin sliced beef/brisket too. I survive on hard boiled eggs on trips.
Hi Buffy, you are a whirlwind, have fun in Austin!
Sophie, I will have to try the olives in cream cheese, do you use the green or black ones?
Shelley, your tea idea made me think, I added the HWC to my green teas citrus/blueberry...now I am going to add a bit of coconut oil. Sounds like a great afternoon pick-up! We seem to have too many of the same issues....I have to wonder if our early years, spurred this stuff on?
Mary, I have low BP since teen years, and recent saliva testing showed adrenals were low/"exhausted"...I need to get the thyroid checked now just to make sure, last round I was in normal range, but it's deceptive. I have issues with bright lights, etc...but I have very light blue eyes, which also causes issues with lights.
Hi Darin, you are very quiet today? Did you crash your PC?
Blonde, I have several "soapbox" posts on statins...I'm certain in both October and November threads....they are very dangerous, and women have more potential for muscle damage as well. Notice to health care this week, should be out by FDA soon (they move at the speed of cold honey pouring from a jar...) is that statins can cause Type II diabetes, and make it worse if you have it. Total Cholestrol is nearly a useless number....Trigs & HDL should be markers, if you care, to follow. Cholestrol is not caused by diet, and statins do not reduce the risk of heart disease. Inflammation is the problem. Now, your BS is high...and lucky you, NK and LC are the first line of defense for both.
Closed Thread