Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #871
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Mizzcase, will be so happy for you when your finals are over, and the stress of all that is gone, for a while at least.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Yes, the cardiologist is the next stop. I was seen in the emergency room about 10 days ago (palpitations and dizzyness) and they gave me a referral for a holter monitor (which records your heartbeat for 24 hours) and a consultation with a cardiologist. The problem is that I have to wait until late January. I'm going to call today to see if I can get in earlier. As for BP, I don't track it myself, but anytime it's ever been taken it was normal or on the low side.
I too have had a lot of these symptoms... not having them now luckily but I was having them on and off for awhile and sometimes I had suspected it had something to do with LC. Additionally I had dizziness and faintness which I don't remember if you mentioned or not.I did the EKG and the Holter and they didn't find anything, however I wasn't exactly having palpitations during the time of the test...
I don't have any great advice but here's a few directions I was thinking about when I was dealing with it- maybe it will help you.
1) if your bp is normal to low.. maybe you should be checking yourself at home and seeing if your symptoms coincide with a drop in BP. Twice I went into the clinic when I was having bad symptoms and my BP was super low.
They put me on an IV and it passed for the time. I try to drink alot and stay hydrated.. doesn't always help though.
2) is there anything else that you can point to that coincides with an 'attack' or is it always. I started logging things and starting thinking it might have something to do with paracetamol/acetaminophen or maybe sudafed... my symptoms seemed to occur more if I had a cold coming on and had taken something. Now I really try not to take anything at all except recently I went back to adding vitamin supplements cautiously.
3) I mentioned this before but I will again in case you missed it. The leg thing, which was really starting to scare me and was going on non stop for months actually dissappeared since I started this woe. At the same time as I started NK I began upped my dose of D3 and C and began taking magnesium. My feeling was that its the magnesium that took it away...but I can't be sure which change did it but it really seems to be gone. I have had some dizziness/weakness and I am dealing with a cold/flu now but I haven't gone near the sinufed or tylenol and have been drinking tonz and so far no palpitations. I think the broth and salt really helps the dizziness. It would be interesting to see a bp reading before and after some salty soup.

Good Luck! hope something in there helps!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #873
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Mornin' everyone.

Major Red....a Masarati?!?!!? Really?!?! Are you sure a bright red (to match your hair) porsche turbo wouldn't do the trick?

Sophie...I hear you loud and clear....that's where I"ve been for 3.5 months! Gain gain, lose, gain gain gain.

Well, I decided to up my calories. I decided to do what the 2 nutritionists who eat this way and are well keto adapted told me to do...have a salad for lunch and a cup of veggies (measuring raw, not cooked) for dinner. In 3 days I am back down this morning to EXACTLY the weight where I started in late August. This morning my ketone reading was once again .9. But the BEST is that my fasting glucose is no longer above 100 consistently....it went down to 83. I started what Major Red told me to check into over a month ago (and one of the keto adapted nutritionists). I am taking 25% of the reg. dose of berberine. I react quickly to any meds whatsoever, and caffeine. So, opted to start lower than low. It also says that it takes 2-6 weeks to kick in (so I figured another year for me!! ha ha). But each day I've taken one little 250 mg capsule, my fasting B/G the next morning has dropped bit by bit! And my calories are going up up up. Was doing 1200-1400 and have been 1900 - 2200 (yesterday was 2000) and today's weight from yesterday was a 1.4# drop. I'll take it. And I don't think it's water weight as I've been at this for much too long for it to do that, but who the heck knows. We shall see what the rest of the week brings.
GREAT NEWS!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #874
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
In that regard, I have to admit I have nothing to complain about. He compliments me at least once at some point every day.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #875
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Major Red....a Masarati?!?!!? Really?!?! Are you sure a bright red (to match your hair) porsche turbo wouldn't do the trick?
My red is the pretty much the exact color to clash with any other red around me. Weird but true. I look great in the more typical red-complimentary colors like black, brown and green (particularly dark green.). So a red vehicle is not possible even if through the anonymously created Darin Fund.

The Maserati is a nod to Life's Been Good
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #876
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I have totally found that the CHOCOLATE version of Ubuntu has worked better for me, the huge huge gamer that I am, I play spider solitaire almost every day to relax, now the butterscotch version was a total failure as it turned my screen a disgusting shade of well, you know, butterscotch.

Wow Red, that is soo all over my head that my eyes glaze over when you get to talking about that stuff, talk about the sinus congestion I am still having and you have to add all that in??? Have a soul man, let up on us in the brain cell dept.

Since I have to taste test each batch of toffee and take the enormous risk of carbs each time I start cutting or breaking apart a new batch, all profits must be returned to the CEO and isn't that how most companies run these days??? Even Mr. Buffy, when I show him the money I have taken in from the toffee asks "but how much did the supplies cost?", to which I say, "oh, I don't count that, I just keep all the money I take in". You have to smile sweetly while saying this. Then Mr. Buffy just shakes his head and heads out in search of more butter. Oh, he also doubles as my delivery man!!!
heh there is a Peppermint Linux and a Mint Linux

That is pretty funny about the cost of the ingredients lol.

You should watch this while you are waiting on your next batch to finish cooking: I Love Lucy - Season 3, Episode 12: The Million Dollar Idea - TV.com

Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #877
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Anyone tried Starbucks Christmas blend? It tastes like cigarette ash to me. Blech.
I have to be real careful about Starbucks brand when I buy it in the store. They have some truly awful tasting blends. The last mistake I made was with Pike's Peak. Had to throw it away.

The Blonde is not bad and the breakfast blend is good.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #878
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Mornin' everyone.

Sophie...I hear you loud and clear....that's where I"ve been for 3.5 months! Gain gain, lose, gain gain gain.

Well, I decided to up my calories. I decided to do what the 2 nutritionists who eat this way and are well keto adapted told me to do...have a salad for lunch and a cup of veggies (measuring raw, not cooked) for dinner. In 3 days I am back down this morning to EXACTLY the weight where I started in late August. This morning my ketone reading was once again .9. But the BEST is that my fasting glucose is no longer above 100 consistently....it went down to 83. I started what Major Red told me to check into over a month ago (and one of the keto adapted nutritionists). I am taking 25% of the reg. dose of berberine. I react quickly to any meds whatsoever, and caffeine. So, opted to start lower than low. It also says that it takes 2-6 weeks to kick in (so I figured another year for me!! ha ha). But each day I've taken one little 250 mg capsule, my fasting B/G the next morning has dropped bit by bit! And my calories are going up up up. Was doing 1200-1400 and have been 1900 - 2200 (yesterday was 2000) and today's weight from yesterday was a 1.4# drop. I'll take it. And I don't think it's water weight as I've been at this for much too long for it to do that, but who the heck knows. We shall see what the rest of the week brings.

Buffy....have FUN at the party tonight. I went to one last night and had nothing. Not even a glass of water. I went to chat and have fun and didn't give the food or wine a thought. It's not hard if you are not hungry when you go, so good plan to eat before.
I'm glad to hear that BS stuff is working for you Shelley! Jimmy Moore really talked it up on one of his podcasts - that is where I heard of it for the first time. That BS 101 lady does not like it though but I can't remember her reasoning. If I recall correctly, it was more of a general distaste for the 'take a pill to fix it' aspect of the stuff.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmmmm.

No medical conditions, right? Thyroid or diabetes medications?

If you are hungry then eat but try to keep the carbs as close to zero as possible if you think you are going to overeat for that day.

Stay away from food related surfing. Don't surf stuff about LC recipes. Don't dwell on your food log. If you start thinking about food immediately distract yourself - get up walk somewhere think about the last funny thing your bff said.

Is it possible that an artificial sweetener is triggering the hunger? Or maybe some other food trigger? Does anything stand out if you look at the log on the days you overate?

so, I'm gonna start looking into my thyroid- it was tested a year ago, but according to someone on another thread my levels looked off and i should test again- so i'm gonna start looking into getting a good dr. familiar w/this stuff.

I don't eat any sweeteners and I can't put my finger on the trigger for over eating- but it doesn't mean there isn't one.

I appreciate the support!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #880
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Anyone tried Starbucks Christmas blend? It tastes like cigarette ash to me. Blech.
Gee, I don't know what cigarette ash taste like but it doesn't sound good...and my budget doesn't include Starbucks. Maybe I ought to save up for a treat!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #881
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I am a plain ole Maxwell House fan here, Mr. Buffy and I split a pot every morning.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am a plain ole Maxwell House fan here, Mr. Buffy and I split a pot every morning.
Folgers here or Chock full of Nuts.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #883
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone use a protein shake mix and what brand do you like/use, if you do? Am I allowed to ask that?

Arlene
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #884
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kim129
Quick question? When I figure out my calories it comes to 2052 per day. I used the guideline at the beginning of this thread to figure out my calories. Goal weight is 129. As I am reading through posts it seems like everyone else is eating much less calories than that. I did a google search and the information I found was that if I eat 2052 I will maintain my current weight. I used a calculator that had me put in my weight now of 160 and my goal weight of 129. That calculator said I should eat 1500 calories a day. Any input from any of you have would be greatly appreciated. Should I eat the 2052 or 1500?

Thanks,

Kim
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #885
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Folgers here or Chock full of Nuts.
I think I will try the Chock Full of Nuts when I run out of my current bag of coffee (which is Folger's Vanilla Biscotti and it isn't very good).
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #886
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Does anyone use a protein shake mix and what brand do you like/use, if you do? Am I allowed to ask that?

Arlene
That is probably worth asking in the Main Lobby area Arlene

Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #887
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim129 View Post
Quick question? When I figure out my calories it comes to 2052 per day. I used the guideline at the beginning of this thread to figure out my calories. Goal weight is 129. As I am reading through posts it seems like everyone else is eating much less calories than that. I did a google search and the information I found was that if I eat 2052 I will maintain my current weight. I used a calculator that had me put in my weight now of 160 and my goal weight of 129. That calculator said I should eat 1500 calories a day. Any input from any of you have would be greatly appreciated. Should I eat the 2052 or 1500?

Thanks,

Kim
Those calculations from the intro do not apply to you Kim as I said in one of the other posts. Your regimen is going to require a lot of customized attention and tweaks.

Generally speaking, the best strategy is to start high and work your way down slowly. 1500 calories a day is very low calories for your activity level.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is probably worth asking in the Main Lobby area Arlene

Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends
Why Red? Is this not good to use for our WOE? I know nothing about it so I'm asking for info. I mean, I don't mind going there but if I shouldn't be using it then tell me...I can take it!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Yikes you all are funny! Buffy you crack me up. Thanks for the nice compliment. Just doing my thing and still feeling fabulous. I have energy to burn. In the words of Curly Bill, "I ain't kiddin' neither".
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #890
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Why Red? Is this not good to use for our WOE? I know nothing about it so I'm asking for info. I mean, I don't mind going there but if I shouldn't be using it then tell me...I can take it!!!
Oh, it is fine with NK. No worries there at all.

The lobby is a good spot because you will get a lot of responses and not all of that protein powder/shake stuff is equal.

As far as for NK in particular, well, it is going to be the same as for LC really except that you know your protein goals so you can tailor its protein content to your own daily intake plan.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #891
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:

Arlene
I don't want to talk out of turn, because I don't use them, but if you are trying NK, you may not need them? After your true protein needs are calculated, it really should be pretty easy to get them through real meat sources if you are eating the proper number of calories in the correct ratios. (Red, quiet down! I know you are-rightfully- thinking that I am no one to give advice on adequate calories!).
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that BS stuff is working for you Shelley! Jimmy Moore really talked it up on one of his podcasts - that is where I heard of it for the first time. That BS 101 lady does not like it though but I can't remember her reasoning. If I recall correctly, it was more of a general distaste for the 'take a pill to fix it' aspect of the stuff.
Normally I would agree about the stuff, but I've been trying for years to break through this and was told to give it a try as obviously something is amiss.

The fact that I dropped back to starting weight (overnight) and the levels went down on a 250 mg dose (recommended is two 500 mg capsules/day) tells me that my body needed this for whatever reason. Glad I could get by on such a tiny dose. Thank you Major Red for the idea to check out. Took me a while, but I finally got there!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #893
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
so, I'm gonna start looking into my thyroid- it was tested a year ago, but according to someone on another thread my levels looked off and i should test again- so i'm gonna start looking into getting a good dr. familiar w/this stuff.

I don't eat any sweeteners and I can't put my finger on the trigger for over eating- but it doesn't mean there isn't one.

I appreciate the support!
Sophie...I was thinking of you as I was driving home from the doctors today. I was hungry...so I thought of you. I had a bottle of water on the seat of the car so chugged about a cups worth. Hunger went away. I have heard many times that hunger is a way the body tells you that it's dehydrated and needs water. So....are you drinking enough water during the day??? Just another "thought". My brain is constantly thinking of things.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #894
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Arlene
Both DH and I use whey protein..... optimum nutrition gold standard. Tons of flavors! His favorite is the extreme strawberry (something like that) and mine is vanilla ice cream. WE just tried the mocha cappuchino...I'm not a chocolate person so i give it a 5 of 10, but he really liked it. So, there are plenty of flavors to choose from. I've used other brands, but now am sticking with this one. I believe it's lactose free too.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't want to talk out of turn, because I don't use them, but if you are trying NK, you may not need them? After your true protein needs are calculated, it really should be pretty easy to get them through real meat sources if you are eating the proper number of calories in the correct ratios. (Red, quiet down! I know you are-rightfully- thinking that I am no one to give advice on adequate calories!).
Deborah...this is brilliant and oh so true. I only use the protein shake when I'm on the road all day (live an hour from the nearest shopping) and don't want to stop anywhere for "lunch". So, I take a shaker bottle, fill it usually with unsweetened almond milk, some pumpkin pie spice, and then I have a tiny little tupperware type container (was for salad dressing on the go) and put a scoop (or less sometimes) of the protein powder in it. So, when I am hungry or have "missed lunch", I can make a quick shake and have a decent meal that is tasty and not cheating. But if I'm home, I eat real food!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #896
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophie...I was thinking of you as I was driving home from the doctors today. I was hungry...so I thought of you. I had a bottle of water on the seat of the car so chugged about a cups worth. Hunger went away. I have heard many times that hunger is a way the body tells you that it's dehydrated and needs water. So....are you drinking enough water during the day??? Just another "thought". My brain is constantly thinking of things.
Interesting. Perhaps even supplements are out of whack.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Major Red...I do like the idea of the dark green (sort of the English Racing Green color) for your Maserati......and the "green" will be appropriate for the bucks (dollar bills) it will require to get one! ha ha
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #898
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
heh I don't use them either
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #899
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Major Red...I do like the idea of the dark green (sort of the English Racing Green color) for your Maserati......and the "green" will be appropriate for the bucks (dollar bills) it will require to get one! ha ha
Very true! Buffy if you are reading this you are neglecting the profit center! Get back to work! A needy person is counting on you!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #900
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
haha, everyone seems to think of me when they are hungry. I do try and make sure I am drinking enough water...I have a full glass all day
Closed Thread