Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #751
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Yes it is shelly

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #752
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Just weighed after being back on HFLC since the 1st of December, and I lost a big fat NOTHING! Ugh. Feeling a wee bit depressed and confused. Why is the weight not coming off?! I've gained almost 7 pounds since my lowest in August and a couple inches and they are not going away.

Rant over!

Last edited by melisa82; 12-09-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #753
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Just weighed after have a great 7 days back on HFLC and lost a big fat NOTHING! Ugh. Feeling a wee bit depressed and confused. Why is the weight not coming off?! I've gained almost 7 pounds and a couple inches and they are not going away. They've been hanging around since September. Rant over!
Melissa....you can now belong to our group....those that are doing everything right and are not losing and, like me, gaining. Hang in there. Studies show that it takes some 6 months to get keto adapted. Don't give up.

You wouldn't happen to have a mother/grandfather in the Bay Area would you???
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #754
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I'm here gang, just too busy right now to post but I sneak a peek on my IPad to see what you all are up to
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy is that picture of you?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Major Red....have you ever listened to the Canadian Group "Secret Garden". Oh my..I think you would like them a lot. Their first (or one of hte first) CD's was their "name" as the title. I used to listen to them all the time. Same "feeling" of peace and beauty in the sounds.
Thanks for the tip. I listened to a few clips. I dunno. I tend more towards techno-pop and synthesizer I think. But I am super eclectic in my taste with music. I'll see if they grow on me
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Thanks for the tip. I listened to a few clips. I dunno. I tend more towards techno-pop and synthesizer I think. But I am super eclectic in my taste with music. I'll see if they grow on me
Red, are you a Daft Punk fan at all?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #758
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all, couldn't stay away from the scales today! Weighed 127 at one point, will check in tomorrow!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #759
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Buffy, love the new avi! It's very intense! It's perfect! I have never stopped to figure out how to post pics.
Arlene, I am reviewing the clinicals on the shingles vac....it may prove worthwhile, if it doesn't have mercury---but shingles are nasty. My employer sent around a "now that you are over 50"...it's free!
Tablis, get well, and rest with books is so good!
Hi Dazy, gotta love dirty kids! Except if it was caked-out with pine straw! Nothing like fun outside in the fall/winter! Jumping in leaves after they were raked; sliding down hills on boxes (cause we don't have snow in the south and that looked like fun); and cocoa around a fire by the lake!
Glad you are feeling a bit better Mizz...stress will never leave most of us. We trade college/finals/papers for work stress, projects, deadlines, bosses! I have recently reassessed my stress levels post cortisol levels coming in! I think we can control much of this stress, you know it will come, we can't control that part; but how we react to it is our choice. Constant adrenal responses will wear you down!
Hi Becky! I just love consignment/auctions/big garage sales! So much fun to have that "find" moment! Great number! We eat veggies, mostly in the evenings. tonight was kumato tomatoes (black) 2 small slices, and asparagus, maybe 6 spears.
Darin, get a tissue, that was a great post to Shelley! Your reasoning on the protein issue is good....I have kicked mine up to the max on the range, and my pants are looser now. However, do not over-estimate the average physician...think about their past experience with dietary guidelines....while I understand WHO their target audience was in the book....reading nutritional guidelines isn't usually the average physician's required reading, most still do not realize the immediate health benefits with dietary corrections in lieu of yet another medication. Perhaps consideration for the initial stages of post-meno is validated...I simply did not expect to hit a wall with this stuff. Now, that said, piti-parties are a waste of time IMHO, whining permitted on occasions....never let the DDs get off with TOM excuses etc, you play the hand you are dealt with, (or caused!) and pack a gun (legally with a license) for unexpected issues!
Hi Sophie! Weighing once a week keeps me sane too!
Hi Cheryl. How are you feeling?
Hi Blonde! I do not test any ketones/BS anymore.
Wow Shelley! Snow. Whipped out the shorts and flip flops this morning, not thrilled. Snow in December at Christmas is wonderful. I started Creatine, to help build back the muscle. I do see definition in the arms/legs now, been about six months. I have considered the theory that my "stall" isn't really a stall, it could be increased muscle weight. I am going with this as a temporary reason, it makes me happier!
Hi Tiva!
Darin, I'm a beach-girl, the lullaby is fantastic, the photo makes me want to hit the road! Let's hope NASA is still around to track him! I know a few who lost their jobs there recently, one is reassigned to the Intnl Space Station...apparently it's not the place we all grew up dreaming about!
Paula, sounds like your body has experienced many induced "starvation times"...diets. I am convinced that is the start of the war with our bodies. My BFF and her DH went on the HCG last summer, prior to DD1 wedding...she lost 30lbs, gained 25 back pronto. He lost 75, gained 25, lost 50 more, gained back 30-40....it's a game at this point. She is convinced it wrecked her metabolism and increased her BF. Remember that LBM includes heart muscles, which is the danger to the extreme of VLC and one of the reasons I am on high cardiac prevention, especially heart failure disease...I believe I beat the odds since it has been 30 years, but I will never take it lightly.
Hi Melisa, it's okay to rant!
Hi Daryl! Welcome! Another Texan?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #760
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Ha ha...there's me (handicapped with injuries)!! I'm so glad that you had good teachers and loved it. Do you have little girls? You could do classes with them in the living room! Wouldn't that be fun.

I will let you know about the kale chips (were they home made that you didn't like?) My trainer said that she hated kale until doing her own. I told her I did NOT like kale either, so I'll try them this week.

I just love that there's another "former dancer" here!
My daughter (and boys) and I dance around the house all the time...they are quite good- if I do say so myself.

I'm curious how you like the chips...I made them myself...ehh.

ditto on the dancer connection :-)
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #761
Senior LCF Member

Love the updated photo Buffy!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #762
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
My daughter (and boys) and I dance around the house all the time...they are quite good- if I do say so myself.

I'm curious how you like the chips...I made them myself...ehh.

ditto on the dancer connection :-)
Sophie, your dancing sounds wonderful! DD2 did modern, and I think had talent, but dropped it in college. She was more the sports-type, defense in basketball was more her style! Kale chips?? Wonder if spinach would bake? Your kids are very lucky, you sound like a fantastic Mom!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #763
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Melissa....you can now belong to our group....those that are doing everything right and are not losing and, like me, gaining. Hang in there. Studies show that it takes some 6 months to get keto adapted. Don't give up.

You wouldn't happen to have a mother/grandfather in the Bay Area would you???
My grandparents and great-grandparents lived in Cloverdale, CA. My aunt, cousins and father still live there... why do you ask?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #764
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
My grandparents and great-grandparents lived in Cloverdale, CA. My aunt, cousins and father still live there... why do you ask?
I ask because I have a niece I have never met who lives in the Seattle area and her grandfather is my Godfather......for some reason you just "felt" like you might be the niece I never met. But the older generations are "gone" other than the grandfather, so that means it's not you. But wouldn't that have been fun!?!?!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #765
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Oooh...Tiva you are a doll to do that for "me"!!!!

Kale is on my shopping list....I want to try to make the kale chips! I love my oil and salt!
Shelley -- I've done the kale chips and they are awesome. Even my grandkids liked them. I sometimes make them with CO and salt or sprinkle any other seasoning you like after rubbing them with oil.

Man, I'm getting hungry and I don't have any kale!!!

Arlene
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #766
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just keep in mind that the ketostix can give you incorrect readings for your brain. Once you are getting into ketosis or doing things right, the readings could show "neutral" or "no reading" and you will think OH NO!!!!! That's what happened to me. Then I got a ketone meter and was IN ketosis on the first test (back in September). The stix and strips test different "substances" (can't think of the right word)

And the hot flashes...I started having them at 30, and then was put on bio-identical hormones to get rid of them. That worked for about 20 years. Went off them and they came back....back on BHRT, and then off them again nearly 2 years ago. Then started NK eating and ooo la la.....I'm toasty warm most of the time, but the "heat" is different from hot flashes. So, you might be having hot flashes, or you might be reacting to the fat? Hard to tell.
That's what is happening to me with the strips. Sometimes - nothing even tho I'm eating right. Thinking I ought to save my money and get a meter and a few strips.

Re hot flashes. It's been many years since I stopped having TOM, but I never had hot flashes. I must have been soooo lucky!

Arlene
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I ask because I have a niece I have never met who lives in the Seattle area and her grandfather is my Godfather......for some reason you just "felt" like you might be the niece I never met. But the older generations are "gone" other than the grandfather, so that means it's not you. But wouldn't that have been fun!?!?!
That would've been a hoot! All my grandparents/g-grandparents on both sides of the family are deceased now, with the exception of my mother's mom. Where are you from?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #768
Senior LCF Member

Well -- I did it. Ordered my free Nova Max Plus Meter with 2 free test strips. It will be interesting.

Arlene
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #769
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Good morning, folks. I've decided not to weigh myself until next Sunday.. my eating has been crazy this week due to the nausea (saltines and popcorn last night again), plus its at this point of the month where I slowly begin piling on ~8 pounds of water weight before it whooshes off a couple weeks from now. YaknowwhatImean? Anyway, dialed back the magnesium oxide to 500mg a day, and no nausea up to this point this morning, so thats a win!

Also trying to get away from weighing every day as its causing me anxiety and I find myself going back to restrictions I'd done before, which I don't want to deal with anymore. The food weighing/tracking is making my restrictive brain scream, but I know I need to keep doing it to hit my macros.

Here's a question for y'all:
I have been bouncing between ketosis and regular glycogen burning for the past couple of weeks (ugh, stress of finals, can't wait for THAT to wrap up).. what kind of stress does this seesaw of carb burning metabolism back to fat burning metabolism have on my brain, if any? I'm thinking it can't be good to keep going back and forth, can it?
thanks for post, mizz. i was really looking forward to some input on the highlighted area. maybe it got buried and missed, so thought i'd resurrect it.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 12-10-2012 at 04:40 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #770
Major LCF Poster!

Morning all up .2 those dang nuts again I had a diet rite again that seems to trigger a sweet craving so I had 3 pc gum and 22 nuts.so now I no it's the nuts,gum and diet soda.but you no I'm tring to hard to lose weight before my trip to Puerto Rico trip.but you no I look so much better at 162.6 than I did at 205 so I have to remember that,so now I need to stay focus on feeling good and weight will come.right??
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #771
Senior LCF Member

WELL -- maybe this is working. Scales this morning are -2. I've really worked the last few days on my macros and eating to the middle range of my calories. Full, but OK. It's been a week since I got my numbers from Red and started. Honestly thought I was going to be trying to eat so much.

I'm not back to where I started this but only 1 lb over. 164. now 165.

It's raining here so planning to clean -- first the bathroom, with lots and lots of stretching. That'll help!!
Have a good one, all

Oh, a question, how do I put in a signature line. I think I've gone through all the tools, but don't find. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Wildflower, I think there is a minimum post requirement to add a signature line. I think it is 60 but someone may correct me.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #773
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, are you a Daft Punk fan at all?
heh yeah I like them, but not super familiar with all their stuff. I love some of the stuff they've done!!! Harder Better Faster Stronger! I do stream of conscious style web browsing so I stumbled across them when I landed on that youtube video of those two girls dancing with the lyrics to that song written on their arms and legs. Have you seen that? lol so dang cool (for someone else's teen daughters to do).

Have you seen this clip? Google 'Daft Punk - Alive 2007 (Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger) in Highest Quality on Youtube! zmup' - that is one awesome live band right there! And the mashup with All Around The World is fantastic!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #774
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Too Far Behind Again!

Wow, you guys are so chatty! I love it, but I've missed too much that I can't possibly wade through everything, so I will be commenting as y'all post new things today. I hope you all are doing great!

Last night I went to a party. For some reason, it really seemed like an awesome idea to eat a LOT of mac-n-cheese and two slices of birthday cake. At the time, it was great. I think I had a bit of a carb buzz going on!

A couple of hours later, though, things took a turn for the worst. Things are just settling down now and my tummy is just super upset. Learned my lesson about going on a carb binge! I AM trying to gain a couple of pounds back, but want to do it through eating more vegetables and starting to eat fruit sometimes.

Today, though, won't be consuming much of anything except water until my tummy settles back down.

Hope all of you are having a much better Monday!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #775
Senior LCF Member

Question Re: Vitamin C aiding weight loss

A few days back, the question came up of Vit C and does it impact weight loss. Interesting info so far... People with adequate levels of VitC in their systems oxidize 30% more fat during exercise and rest--so it correlates with lower BF, not necessarily weight loss (I know, that's yet another budding discussion!!). This involved taking the VitC in the morning, not evening. With that study was L-carnitine, which is produced in the liver & kidneys, stored in skeletal muscles, heart, brain....it is important for turning fat into energy, and it is activated by Vit C (I take two a day of this supplement L-carnitine). Vit C is an essential cofactor for the biosynthesis of a small protein-like molecule known as L-carnitine. L-carnitine functions to shuttle fat molecules to the site of fat oxidation in tissue cells. When cells do not have access to fat molecules, feelings of fatigue start, since energy metabolism is affected. Moreover, fat tends to accumulate in tissues when L-carnitine concentrations are reduced.
More research showed that keeping the body suppplied with VitC is essential to reducing waist circumference and BMI....note one-a-day won't work for this. Vit C is an antioxidant, so it is vital to protect cells from damage, issue repair and growth. Vit C can also help manage BS levels. It provides protection against immune system deficiencies (especially when we wreck it with stress!), cardiovascular disease (research is ongoing as to a stroke reduction as well), prenatal health problems, eye disease, reduces inflammation, and even our favorite "girl" issue, skin wrinkling!! New cancer research is "hot" with IV Absorbic Acid therapy too....! Unfortunately, mainstream media and health professionals still claim that you can get all you need from foods....not with our current depleted soils and contaminated waters. So, for a cheap vitamin, and little in the negative, it may help with our mission here!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #776
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Quote:
Here's a question for y'all:
I have been bouncing between ketosis and regular glycogen burning for the past couple of weeks (ugh, stress of finals, can't wait for THAT to wrap up).. what kind of stress does this seesaw of carb burning metabolism back to fat burning metabolism have on my brain, if any? I'm thinking it can't be good to keep going back and forth, can it?
thanks for post, mizz. i was really looking forward to some input on the highlighted area. maybe it got buried and missed, so thought i'd resurrect it.
I do not know.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that you won't notice any particular difference than if you never had done LC. That is, people unintentionally do short term bouts of LC without noticeable, or perhaps appreciable, effect. I imagine, though, that one or the other with no junk food would result in clearer thinking and better productivity during a high stress time as opposed to a mix of the two.

Adapted-wise, LC is far better for clear thinking.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #777
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all up .2 those dang nuts again I had a diet rite again that seems to trigger a sweet craving so I had 3 pc gum and 22 nuts.so now I no it's the nuts,gum and diet soda.but you no I'm tring to hard to lose weight before my trip to Puerto Rico trip.but you no I look so much better at 162.6 than I did at 205 so I have to remember that,so now I need to stay focus on feeling good and weight will come.right??
Hey, 40 freaking pounds is nothing to pooh pooh! You've done awesome so far! Don't sweat the .2 - it is less than a quarter of a bottle of water.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #778
Senior LCF Member

I hate a lot of carrots last night...it def. showed in my ketones....i am normally above 1, I was .8 today- I am still happy it is above .5- and I don't intend to be eating that many carbs for a while (it came to about 40g total- still not too bad though- def. not mac an cheese and 2 slices of cake Deborah...ahem
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #779
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!
Nothing new to report except that I am holding at my new low, which is totally awesome, not even one bounce yet, whoops, shouldn't have written that, it will bounce tomorrow!
Deborah, Sophia is right, ahem??? You really fell into the carb lake last night, didn't you. But, your body did tell you how it felt about it so I doubt you will be doing that again, but hey, hoped you enjoyed the swim!!

SG, remind me again of how much Vit. C we need to add? I am pretty sure you answered this once before but if I wrote it down I have forgotten. I might as well add that to my growing pile of supplements, I don't know what all is doing what all but I feel pretty good, I am slowly losing, my BS is fantastic and I am happy!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #780
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Let's hope NASA is still around to track him! I know a few who lost their jobs there recently, one is reassigned to the Intnl Space Station...apparently it's not the place we all grew up dreaming about!
I actually saw a video, from 2010 or 2011 I think, of Neil deGrasse exclaiming that budgetary spending on NASA was up and apparently, therefore, everything was peachy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Darin, I'm a beach-girl, the lullaby is fantastic, the photo makes me want to hit the road!
Not counting duets, Soak Up The Sun has to be one of Sheryl Crow's best songs if not the best. For duets, Kid Rock and her with Picture. It rivals, but doesn't reach of course, Leather and Lace with Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty.
Closed Thread