Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #661
Blabbermouth!!!
 
paulabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,544
Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
We are all about wanting to home test for every thing, now aren't we?
LOL, I saw marijuana home tests at the Dollar Tree the other day.
paulabob is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #662
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Thanks Major Red!!! The results were as follows:

Weight? Up 2# from yesterday
Ketones. Down to .3 from .6 from yesterday
Fasting B/G, up 106 from 92 yesterday.

Pretty frustrating.

I'm truly about to give up on this as I just can't seem to even get down and stay at my starting weight from late August! I'm over all the time. Ketones aren't even in "the zone". I said I would give it the 6 months that Skaldeman (?) said some people need, and the personal trainer said she thought I was doing fine and had good macros (80% fat), but needed to up my carbs (usually single digits) to having veggies at at least one meal as that wouldn't even raise them to 30/day and still be about 4-6%....I overdid it yesterday with 7% though and 27.7 total Phooey. Just so darned frustrating to see everyone losing weight and inches, and then I'm going the wrong way with the scale and tape measurer...week after week, month after month.

I have lots of ketone strips (ordered a bunch when they were 10% off and ordered 5 boxes to get the free S&H), so I'll keep going for 6 months. I'm 3.5 months in. So far.....nothing "good" to report on my end.
Ahhhh Shelley
I know oh I know how discouraging it is. But just keep going and you will find the right combonation you need to lose weight.
Sounds like you are gonna be changing things up with the trainer. Just give your body some time to adjust. We love ya Shelley. No matter how much ya lose. Enjoy the process cause for most of us losing weight and keeping it off is something we will always be working on.
Clueless is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #663
Senior LCF Member
 
NKSL55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 173
Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
A couple days ago I got out of my car and the air smelled like watermelon jollyranchers? Dunno what was up with that... I guess its a result of the high fat in my diet? :dunno: This nausea is the worst!
Yes, indirectly. In the absence of carbs/glycogen stores to burn, you body turns to other fuel, including dietary and adipose tissue fat. However some tissues cannot burn free fatty acids -- the brain, for example. Has to be glucose or "ketone bodies". These are (somewhat) water soluble breakdown products of fat oxidation (burning). They are said to be acetone, acetoacetone (AcAc) and beta hydroxybuterate (BHB).

Acetone itself (nail polish remover) has a, well I would not call it 'fruity', but it has a smell. Further, people in ketosis -- especially in their early months of adaptation to ketosis, shed ketones in their breath and any fluids exiting their bodies. For example, sweat.

I know what acetone smells like, but no idea about AcAc or BHB. BHB is not even really a 'ketone', it is a carboxylic acid. Why is that important? Carboxylic acids that react with alcohols form 'esters'. Esters are famous for their aromas, which are sometimes fruity. Could the ester of BHB and ethanol (from your vodka) have the smell of a water melon jolly rancher? Above my pay grade to have an answer to that one.

Anyway, something I have noticed before but have not heard anyone else comment on, is that if you have something producing a complex, and strong, odor, say down the hallway from you, it doesn't really smell like it does at the source. (The example I am thinking about was a batch of fruitfly food being made up, I think). Right at the source (near the pan you are cooking food in) it has the full complexity that comprises hundreds, if not thousands of volatile chemical compounds.

However, down the hall, those compounds diffuse through the air at different rates. So those diffusing fastest would reach you first, right? Those reach you first, then more and more slowly diffusing compounds would reach you. It is more complex than that because these compounds may well be reactive and end up being (for example) oxidized as time goes on. Also some might tend to sink to the floor while other might rise.

But, anyway, you mentioned that it was as you got out of the car that you smelled the watermelon jolly ranchers. Could be some mixture of watermelon-like chemicals had accumulated a certain distance from you while you sat in the car. When you got out of the car (or when air from outside the car blew in as you opened the car door), you moved through that shell of watermelon odorants.

Or some kids had just had a jolly rancher flavored water pistol fight a few minutes before you parked. I guess we will never know for sure.

--
Phillip

Last edited by NKSL55; 12-08-2012 at 01:14 PM..
NKSL55 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone. Happy to report another new low on the scale this AM. 190.4, I can see those 180's over yonder, here I come...
Since I only lost 2 lbs in November, kind of hoping this isn't my total loss for December, I will get to worrying if it goes too long before I see another drop. Now, I know I am in for a while of the bouncing ball weight that we see while our bodies adjust to the new low.

If you are just starting NK, try not to get too stressed over hitting exact macros. Basic is that you figure out your range of protein and shoot for hitting somewhere in that range, probably best to be at the lower number to mid, rather than the highest number. Keep your carbs to 20 or below, although you might find out later that you are one of the lucky ones that can eat more carbs and still lose. Then, eat fat to fill you up. If you haven't been lowcarbing, you will see a quick whoosh of water weight leaving, but, if you have been LC already, it might not show you much of a loss at first. Don't worry about calories at first except not letting them get too low and that is anything below 1200, eat until you feel satisified but not stuffed. Don't try tweaking this and that too often, give your body time to get and stay in solid ketosis.
Congrats Buffy -- I really needed the info regarding NK, I have been getting stressed on the calorie end of it. I will follow your instructions/advice!
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #665
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
No ma'am. I'd eat 99g protein, keep carbs low to very low and reduced calories a little at a time by way of reducing fat grams a little at a time till you get some positive feedback. But I'd take it slowly.

The ideal for protein is to eat the right amount. You can determine that two ways. Eat possibly higher than you should and come down to the right level or start off eating too little and never know it until you've shed a lot of LBM. That is why I think that starting at 1.5g/kg is the right path. Perhaps that is too much for you individually. Perhaps not. If it is too much then you can always adjust down when your body doesn't respond. If it isn't too much then you've spared your lean tissue and inexplicable future weight gains when your protein intake increases later and you gain back lost LBM.

Or that is my thinking on it anyways.


Ma'am --- making me sound really old Red -- even tho I am!

OK -- I'll stay with the 99g protein for another week or so. Today, my carbs are only 13g so far, protein is 60g -- so it's another 40g of protein. I think I'm liking fat too much as it's filling me up (mainly HC, CO and olives) Need to adjust a few things -- I should probably try to get my protein in earlier in the day and do the fat later. Thanks for all your help to me and everyone else!
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #666
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Gallery: greedo5150
Excited to join you all!

I am so excited to join you all. You have a lot of great info to share. I wanted to introduce myself. I am just starting but my initial data looks good! : ) I have tried a lot of different diets and nothing makes me lose weight and the only one that makes me feel good is a low carb one. So I am going to give NK a shot! I am using my blood ketone monitor to make sure I don't second guess my self on things-which I do.

Thanks for the tip about the Lyle book on Ketogenic Diets. Did you know it is free as a PDF file? I am glad I found that out because it is a resourceful book.

Excited to join you all,

Lori

greedo5150 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #667
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Glad you mentioned that one. I had one Dr get mad at me cause I didn't let my girls get the Gardisil shot. So now I tell them that the youngest had acute pancreatitis at age 7 and since tha is a risk factor of Gardisil they will not be getting the shot. That has shut them up since then. Even the health dept has contacted me to tell me my kids were due their gardisil shot. 2 of the people that have tried to get me to get it for them said they gave it to their sons. I didn't drink the kool aid.
it's all about the money, they made too much of that garbage. Thank a few MDs for being brave to scream all over the papers/television, but one had a teenage girl athlete, who can barely walk now. It does not prevent cervical cancer, it was shown to have a positive kill on one type of cell....and logic does not transfer this to guys. Again, the media left unchecked, with the FDA refusing to do their job. If it sounds too good.....
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Thanks!
Tiva, tell us about Sweden. Are you there for an internship or company transfer? Sounds like a blast. My DD1 was in Germany/Switzerland for last semester Master's Degree, she learned that trains are not better than trucks in Texas!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #669
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Think I might've figured out the cause of my feeling so ill lately.. I think I'm taking too much magnesium! Been taken between 1000-1500mg magnesium oxide every day for the past week or two. Will back down to 500 and see if I start feeling better!
OH MY! Mizz. Wow, that could be it. Mag oxide doesn't absorb well, so it is most excellent for potty issues. But it can cause troubles in those doses. Women should get 400mg a day; you are small framed like me, I never, ever, go over 800mg a day, and it's broken in two doses with food. I take 200mg Mag oxide in the evening for potty correction -- the other is malate, anything with -ate at end is a better mineral for health. I would recommend you go to 200-250 in the evening, as it relaxes our systems, especially heart/arteries, that's why it is so good. Then go up weekly if you desire.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #670
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone. Happy to report another new low on the scale this AM. 190.4, I can see those 180's over yonder, here I come...
Since I only lost 2 lbs in November, kind of hoping this isn't my total loss for December, I will get to worrying if it goes too long before I see another drop. Now, I know I am in for a while of the bouncing ball weight that we see while our bodies adjust to the new low.

If you are just starting NK, try not to get too stressed over hitting exact macros. Basic is that you figure out your range of protein and shoot for hitting somewhere in that range, probably best to be at the lower number to mid, rather than the highest number. Keep your carbs to 20 or below, although you might find out later that you are one of the lucky ones that can eat more carbs and still lose. Then, eat fat to fill you up. If you haven't been lowcarbing, you will see a quick whoosh of water weight leaving, but, if you have been LC already, it might not show you much of a loss at first. Don't worry about calories at first except not letting them get too low and that is anything below 1200, eat until you feel satisified but not stuffed. Don't try tweaking this and that too often, give your body time to get and stay in solid ketosis.
Buffy, that is great! You will likely see the 180s before Christmas for sure! What a present! Great post too!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #671
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Thank you Buffy. I keep quiting and coming back, because I get scared I am putting on fat. But I know this is the healthy way to eat. But I feel heavy when I eat this way. Is that normal? I love to read the posts on here and it keeps me coming back. But somehow I have got to work through that I am not putting fat on. I try my jeans on everymorning and measure and drive my husband crazy. Asking do I look fatter this morning. I just really need help. I am not going to give up. Thanks for listening.
You have to find the confidence in you Linda. And I never ask my DH if I look fat, my opinion is quite enough on that subject! Seriously, I still have issues from my college days with the eating disorder....it is very difficult to look in the mirror and see a thin person. Some things we can get over and move on, but they stay with us in the back of our head. I choose to push them back and be happy in the present.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #672
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
This is bikram yoga, right?




Oh yeah, I get to take income tax next semester. SO looking forward to that... I figure if I want to be a tax accountant right now, I probably won't after that class! Yeah, I hear whatever firm one ends up at, you basically receive on the job training there. I'm exciting to get it all over with-- 3 more semesters!
Mizzcase- where I go they offer all styles of yoga heated- I have done bikram, but it isn't my favorite. I prefer the Vinyasa flow in the heat
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #673
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Bikram yoga is 90 minutes poses done for an exact amount of time and in an exact order. Raquel Welch has done it for probably 30 years and how she stays in shape.

I think some teachers have branched off from Bikram and are doing "yoga" classes in the heat, thus the "Hot Yoga". But maybe Sassioner is taking Bikram??? I did 3 times a week for years where I used to live...now there isn't one near me, but I loved it. So hard at first with the heat that you got nauseated, but then you started to crave it after about 3-4 classes. If you ever do it, you will find that your flexibility is unbelievable as the muscles are so warm and so flexible! I miss it! You are a lucky woman Sassioner!!!!
ditto- I love it. when I first started it, i would crave it. Now I have been going for over a year and I have settled into a routine. I don't prefer the bikram. I like the flow classes b/c they are most like dance (and i am a dancer at heart). The heat, flexibility and strength I feel from the classes is what i love!
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #674
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
have you guys tried kundalini yoga? it is kinda weird but I love it.
never heard of it, what is it like?
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #675
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Thanks!!!
one more question, I never get flu shots, got 1 10 years ago and was the sickest ever. What do you reccommend about flu shots. All the daycare parents get them for the kids but I would never let the Dr give the flu shots to my girls.
Thanks Southern girl

I do use non anti bacterial hand soap and always use paper towels with me and the kids. We wash alot. Only use hand sanitizer outside.

thanks again. I really appreciate it. My DD came down with a fever this evening too.
I'm not a medical professional, but I'm anti flu shots. My mom is an RN, and she never would allow us to get flu shots even if we wanted them. She was also the parent that let us roll around in the dirt and didn't care if we washed hands afterwards...so go figure. But, I have to say we were rarely sick. I'm the same w/my kiddos, and thank G-d, they are rarely sick...just my own opinion.
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #676
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
never heard of it, what is it like?
It seems a little different that hatha yoga. I just found some videos and it seems to have some healing value for me. The poses have specific areas of your health that they work on. I haven't done many other kinds of yoga but something about kundalini makes me happy. I could tell it helped my thyroid alot. They use alot of breath of fire and long deep breathing.
Clueless is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #677
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Congratulations on the new low Buffy!

Shelly- I hear your frustration! I am able to get my ketones in a good range, but I am not able to lose weight...grrr
I also haven't experienced the reduction in appetite I hear about- at least I don't think i have- but then again i tend to eat when i am not truly hungry...out of boredom mostly :-/
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member
 
sasonnier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 247
Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
It seems a little different that hatha yoga. I just found some videos and it seems to have some healing value for me. The poses have specific areas of your health that they work on. I haven't done many other kinds of yoga but something about kundalini makes me happy. I could tell it helped my thyroid alot. They use alot of breath of fire and long deep breathing.
yea, that would probably drive me crazy...too slow moving for me. that's why i like vinyasa flow...it's always movin'
sasonnier is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #679
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,747
Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
If you are just starting NK, try not to get too stressed over hitting exact macros. Basic is that you figure out your range of protein and shoot for hitting somewhere in that range, probably best to be at the lower number to mid, rather than the highest number. Keep your carbs to 20 or below, although you might find out later that you are one of the lucky ones that can eat more carbs and still lose. Then, eat fat to fill you up. If you haven't been lowcarbing, you will see a quick whoosh of water weight leaving, but, if you have been LC already, it might not show you much of a loss at first. Don't worry about calories at first except not letting them get too low and that is anything below 1200, eat until you feel satisified but not stuffed. Don't try tweaking this and that too often, give your body time to get and stay in solid ketosis.
Thanks Buffy, this answered so many questions for me. COngrats on the new low!!

Hi everyone, just caught up on the last three pages, HELLO and welcome to the newcomers! Lots of good discussion regarding flu shots and protein requirements, magnesium etc. I love this thread. Thanks Red and thanks to those who check in all the time and patiently answer questions. An truly wonderful group.

Some of the things that peaked my interest in particular, Buffy talking about PMS symptoms. I assume this in post-menopause? I often feel that way but I just thought I was a Bee-atch. Do you think we still have monthly hormonal mood swings? It would be interesting to chart it.

I am a bit confused about ketosis. I bought keto-stix and they do not change color AT ALL. I know I'm doing this correctly, I write down everything I eat. Is there a good time of day for this (keto-stix)? Also I am currently one of the lucky ones whose appetite is almost non-existent, and yet no reading of ketosis. Is there a time frame as to how long it takes for ketosis. Is it possible to lose and not be in ketosis? Maybe someone can answer this for me.
__________________
September 2014 Plant-Based Vegetarian

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #680
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,088
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I definitely still have a hormonal cycle, it is too regular and with the same symptoms to not be noticed. But, the older I get, the less noticeable the symptoms are, so I assume the hormones that cause it are just getting weaker and weaker. I will be more than happy to say goodbye to any and all symptoms. A sure one is the feeling of my waistband getting tighter and me thinking, "what on earth did I eat that makes me feel like I am so fat", then I think, oh yeah, we did just have that full moon and I am a little down and having a headache or two and a little tummy upset and, lower pressure. In a day or two, it all vanishes and I feel thin again. Regular enough to set my monthly calendar to. Hmmppphhh!
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #681
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,747
Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Wow! Very interesting. I hot-flash like mad. I think I need to follow the clues...
Blonde with a Rose is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all....got back on my laptop, it was running "updates" earlier, so I grabbed the ipad, which is limited....and I personally do not like typing on that thing! Anyone have the mini yet? Seems just bigger than phones now.
Darin, I agree with the higher end of protein. I found for me, that started the stablization. Dr Al Sears MD, soundly recommends increasing protein much higher than where we are, in order to trick your body into realizing it has no need to store it, then backing down from that high. Interesting. His patient-base and studies over the years have proved this works for most of his patients.
Terri, great loss number for one day!
Buffy, you have a lucky cat!
Paula, I think there are many opinions, and our many bodies work it out differently, based on sex, height, frame, chronic or acute illnesses, BF, LBM, and our history of abuse to our bodies. The more you study the body, you find it an incredible machine, able to adapt, protect itself, and survive when it should not. We can grow vessels around blocks, survive strokes when we should not, walk again from tragic events to the spine. I agree with Buffy, NK will further develop with more research, more time, more of us working on it. However, Buffy stated the real truth here, we are coming full circle from where some of us grew up, full fat, fresh milk/cream/meats/fish/butter/eggs....we grew everything in our backyard.
Shelley, I understand the frustration.
Cheryl, you are right, it's not just about losing weight, it's the support here.
Phillip, interesting observation. Was it her or something totally unrelated. Unknown.
Hi Arlene...don't stress it out, just ask questions and Professor Darin will have all the answers!
Hi Lori! Welcome and love your stat tracker!
Hi Sophie...you are are making me interested in yoga. There's a new place near me, I may go see about this! And I raised my DDs to roll in the dirt, climb trees, make mud pies and throw them too! Camping, skiing in lake water, hiking in the woods, both were camp counselors no air conditioning for months in summer in Texas...around horses, guns, lakes, snakes and bugs! Yes, they wear lace and did the prom dresses too! And they are very healthy and happy!
Hi Blonde! I think our hormones "rule" much of this madness!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Thanks southernGirl61. I've been asking "Professor Darin" lots of questions and he does always come through. But, sorry to say, stress is my middle name. There are yoga classes at the Y I go to, maybe it would help. Heck, what have I got to lose. Duh --FAT!!!!!

My dh and I don't get flu shots either. Our dr wants us to get shingles vac also but haven't yet. Need to do some more research on that.
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #684
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 309
Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Hi everyone. I've been MIA because I'm out with a bad cough/cold. I'm taking tonz of Vitamin C and D and I have ignored the comfort food carbs that are shouting out to me... so far so good.
Just wanted to say that 1) my phinney/volek books came!!! perfect timing I will read them in bed 2)turns out I'm not crazy-remember back on the november thread I was saying that I thought I'd seen a link to LCF on Jimmy's blog but then I couldn't find it so I thought I had imagined it... So its there on his 31-60 update.
Happy ketosising guys... hope to catch up later...
tablis is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,917
Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
I'm not a medical professional, but I'm anti flu shots. My mom is an RN, and she never would allow us to get flu shots even if we wanted them. She was also the parent that let us roll around in the dirt and didn't care if we washed hands afterwards...so go figure. But, I have to say we were rarely sick. I'm the same w/my kiddos, and thank G-d, they are rarely sick...just my own opinion.
same here. no flu shots for us! except *I* am the RN that says no! i am not militant about hand washing every time they set foot in the door either. rarely are they sick.
dazygyrl is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #686
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 353
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
Hi everyone. I've been MIA because I'm out with a bad cough/cold. I'm taking tonz of Vitamin C and D and I have ignored the comfort food carbs that are shouting out to me... so far so good.
Just wanted to say that 1) my phinney/volek books came!!! perfect timing I will read them in bed 2)turns out I'm not crazy-remember back on the november thread I was saying that I thought I'd seen a link to LCF on Jimmy's blog but then I couldn't find it so I thought I had imagined it... So its there on his 31-60 update.
Happy ketosising guys... hope to catch up later...
Ooooo -- feel better and happy reading!
wildflower is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #687
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 673
Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Good morning, folks. I've decided not to weigh myself until next Sunday.. my eating has been crazy this week due to the nausea (saltines and popcorn last night again), plus its at this point of the month where I slowly begin piling on ~8 pounds of water weight before it whooshes off a couple weeks from now. YaknowwhatImean? Anyway, dialed back the magnesium oxide to 500mg a day, and no nausea up to this point this morning, so thats a win!

Also trying to get away from weighing every day as its causing me anxiety and I find myself going back to restrictions I'd done before, which I don't want to deal with anymore. The food weighing/tracking is making my restrictive brain scream, but I know I need to keep doing it to hit my macros.

Here's a question for y'all:
I have been bouncing between ketosis and regular glycogen burning for the past couple of weeks (ugh, stress of finals, can't wait for THAT to wrap up).. what kind of stress does this seesaw of carb burning metabolism back to fat burning metabolism have on my brain, if any? I'm thinking it can't be good to keep going back and forth, can it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Yes, indirectly. In the absence of carbs/glycogen stores to burn, you body turns to other fuel, including dietary and adipose tissue fat. However some tissues cannot burn free fatty acids -- the brain, for example. Has to be glucose or "ketone bodies". These are (somewhat) water soluble breakdown products of fat oxidation (burning). They are said to be acetone, acetoacetone (AcAc) and beta hydroxybuterate (BHB).

Acetone itself (nail polish remover) has a, well I would not call it 'fruity', but it has a smell. Further, people in ketosis -- especially in their early months of adaptation to ketosis, shed ketones in their breath and any fluids exiting their bodies. For example, sweat.

I know what acetone smells like, but no idea about AcAc or BHB. BHB is not even really a 'ketone', it is a carboxylic acid. Why is that important? Carboxylic acids that react with alcohols form 'esters'. Esters are famous for their aromas, which are sometimes fruity. Could the ester of BHB and ethanol (from your vodka) have the smell of a water melon jolly rancher? Above my pay grade to have an answer to that one.

Anyway, something I have noticed before but have not heard anyone else comment on, is that if you have something producing a complex, and strong, odor, say down the hallway from you, it doesn't really smell like it does at the source. (The example I am thinking about was a batch of fruitfly food being made up, I think). Right at the source (near the pan you are cooking food in) it has the full complexity that comprises hundreds, if not thousands of volatile chemical compounds.

However, down the hall, those compounds diffuse through the air at different rates. So those diffusing fastest would reach you first, right? Those reach you first, then more and more slowly diffusing compounds would reach you. It is more complex than that because these compounds may well be reactive and end up being (for example) oxidized as time goes on. Also some might tend to sink to the floor while other might rise.

But, anyway, you mentioned that it was as you got out of the car that you smelled the watermelon jolly ranchers. Could be some mixture of watermelon-like chemicals had accumulated a certain distance from you while you sat in the car. When you got out of the car (or when air from outside the car blew in as you opened the car door), you moved through that shell of watermelon odorants.

Or some kids had just had a jolly rancher flavored water pistol fight a few minutes before you parked. I guess we will never know for sure.

--
Phillip

We have such intelligent people on this thread, I am amazed all the time! Come to think of it, my perfume does have a fruity base, that was probably what I was smelling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo5150 View Post
I am so excited to join you all. You have a lot of great info to share. I wanted to introduce myself. I am just starting but my initial data looks good! : ) I have tried a lot of different diets and nothing makes me lose weight and the only one that makes me feel good is a low carb one. So I am going to give NK a shot! I am using my blood ketone monitor to make sure I don't second guess my self on things-which I do.
mizzcase is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #688
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all,been busy at my new consignment store,and auctions.
Weight this morning 162.6 a new low for me,going to work on getting protein up this week.been eating breakfast this week that helps a lot.
How many of you eat veggies? And how much?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #689
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Thanks Major Red!!! The results were as follows:

Weight? Up 2# from yesterday
Ketones. Down to .3 from .6 from yesterday
Fasting B/G, up 106 from 92 yesterday.

Pretty frustrating.

I'm truly about to give up on this as I just can't seem to even get down and stay at my starting weight from late August! I'm over all the time. Ketones aren't even in "the zone". I said I would give it the 6 months that Skaldeman (?) said some people need, and the personal trainer said she thought I was doing fine and had good macros (80% fat), but needed to up my carbs (usually single digits) to having veggies at at least one meal as that wouldn't even raise them to 30/day and still be about 4-6%....I overdid it yesterday with 7% though and 27.7 total Phooey. Just so darned frustrating to see everyone losing weight and inches, and then I'm going the wrong way with the scale and tape measurer...week after week, month after month.

I have lots of ketone strips (ordered a bunch when they were 10% off and ordered 5 boxes to get the free S&H), so I'll keep going for 6 months. I'm 3.5 months in. So far.....nothing "good" to report on my end.
Well, no sense in candy coating it Shelley, that sucks. Especially with all the time invested.

You were a beautiful, wonderful dancer for years and years. None of the rest of us had the talent or physique or, frankly, the dedication that you had to make that happen and live that life. Don't despair now when all the pleasure you got and all the joy you gave from those years may be challenging you in these years metabolically speaking.

From start to now, what is your total weight delta? How much of a net gain or net loss?

How do you feel?

Did you give your new very LC friendly (hooray!!!) trainer the Performance book?

If I had a personal trainer (that I trusted) that wanted to lead me in following the Performance book's guidelines, setting BF goals, calculating the resulting protein requirements, doing BF% measurements periodically, etc, I'd do that in a hot second Shelley. I'd want to be a partner in it and understand what we were doing and why.

Don't throw away the 3.5 months you've invested. Let's see what your personal trainer adds to the mix. Don't make me send you in with a note either Missy.
reddarin is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #690
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I often have trouble getting my protein numbers high enough just because of my lack of appetite. Like this morning, I fixed 4 strips of thick bacon, I usually just eat 3 but there was one left so I cooked it. Nope, too much, the cat got 1 strip. And, since I usually just eat twice a day, then that just leaves dinner to get the rest of my protein in.
Ah. This is where you need to tweak with lean protein. Have an extra egg and one less bacon strip sort of thing. Or just less bacon and a lean protein-centric snack later. Maybe have a pork chop with breakfast instead of bacon. Or turkey bacon.

reddarin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsŪ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.